PDA

View Full Version : Manu a flopper?

ZStomp
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
First of all, let me start by saying that I am a huge Manu fan so this thread isn't suppose to be a thread to bad mouth him.

I was watching last night's game and the part when Wilkins 'elbows' Ginobilli in the 4th quarter.........(before the flagrant foul).

Now come on, Manu didn't get hit hard enough for him to hit the ground, did he?

Is Manu a Flopper?

Kori Ellis
05-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Is Manu a Flopper?

Yes. So is Bowen sometimes.

ZStomp
05-18-2005, 06:20 PM
As bad as George Karl said?

xcoriate
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
yes manu flops on D

when he goes to the rack I don't think he flops so much its just the way he plays which is so out of the ordinary and different it gets him calls. What is natural to him is different and unorthodox for everyone else so it probably looks like he is adjusting due to contact sometimes.

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
And so was John Stockton, and Karl Malone, and . . . .

Seru Giran
05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
A little bit, yes. But I see a lot of players doing the same thing night after night.

SpursFanDan
05-18-2005, 06:27 PM
yeah.. but all great players were floppers like fromwaydowntown said. If the refs calls it .. its a foul. I call him a smart player, you call him a flopper.

Kori Ellis
05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
As bad as George Karl said?

No. I think most the time Manu actually gets hit. But he exagerates the impact and flops sometimes to get calls.

DDS4
05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Flopping is a NBA epidemic.

If the refs were better at calling fouls, there would be no need for it.

SpursFanDan
05-18-2005, 06:33 PM
so why dont they just call the flopping foul.. what?... they dont have that.. ahhh

tlongII
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Oh HELL YEAH! Manu is one of the bigger floppers in the NBA! It's probably the one thing I don't really like about him...well that and the fact he plays for the Spurs. He's a great player, but he flops around like a freshly caught salmon on the court.

HB22inSA
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
He's the new Vlade...

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I think there's some truth in DDS4's assessment. If you carefully watch the way that games are officiated (and who is blowing the whistle on certain plays) you discover that some officials will fall for flops that others tend not to call. For example, Dan Crawford doesn't often call fouls where contact is created or exaggerated by a flop -- in fact, a couple of years ago, Danny Crawford ejected Don Nelson from a game for arguing a no-call after Dirk Nowitzki egregiously flopped following a drive against Shaq. It's not that Shaq couldn't or didn't impede Dirk's effort to score, but the replay showed that Shaq hadn't even touched Dirk, but Dirk flopped anyway. No call, because, IMO, Danny Crawford is the best official in the league. Steve Javie doesn't fall for many flops, largely because Javie allows more contact than most officials. From what I've seen, Bob Delaney and Joe Derosa are similar in that regard. Not surprisingly, those are among the very best officials in the league.

If you get officials who make calls based more on anticipation than on what they actually see, you get a lot of calls on flops. Bennett Salvatore is notorious for making those kinds of calls, and I think you get a lot of that from guys like Bernie Fryer and Dick Bavetta, too. You also see it more and more with guys who seem to take the "even it up" strategy to calling fouls -- usually officials who aren't very good, guys like Luis Grillo (who was horrendous last night), Mark Wunderlich, and Ken Mauer.

DDS4
05-18-2005, 07:10 PM
It seems like the more you blow the whistle, the worse off you are as a ref.

Refs like Salvatore and Bavetta fall for flops like scooby snacks. It deteriorates the game because they don't care if the defender had good position or not. Offensive foul calls are big momentum shifters in a tight game.

TurnNiggazDreams2Flames
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
i was laughing soooo hard last night when Manu ran into someone's elbow on purpose...i think it was wilkins but could have been Daniels....whatever it takes to win, Manu does, even if it means flopping...

N.Y. Johnny
05-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I wish he'd stay on his feet more :lol

sometimes Manu gets some fuckin hacks that look like he's in the NFL running through line when he goes to the basket man!! Curtis Martin takes shots like that, but sometimes he does exaggerate some of the impacts he takes.

Manu was the man in Game 5 carried this team, I love the guy, I just hope some Goon like Danny Fortson or Wilkens don't hurt him seriously.

myhc
05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
That's the one thing that bothers me about Manu's game is his flopping.

indianspur
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
First of all, let me start by saying that I am a huge Manu fan so this thread isn't suppose to be a thread to bad mouth him.

I was watching last night's game and the part when Wilkins 'elbows' Ginobilli in the 4th quarter.........(before the flagrant foul).

Now come on, Manu didn't get hit hard enough for him to hit the ground, did he?

Is Manu a Flopper?

Did you watch Danny Fortson as well?????

nkdlunch
05-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Everybody flops. It's just that Manu learned acting in the Argentine School of Acting for Novelas(Soaps) that's why he's so dramatic.

ZStomp
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Did you watch Danny Fortson as well?????

?????

indianspur
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
?????

Did you see fortson flop after duncan went by him in the first half, and again under the basket in the second half. The guy is atrocious, and they say that manu flops!!

Boo
05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I hate when my friends call Manu a flopper, I can't take it! (I Live in CA)

Samr
05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Everyone flopps. It's a part of the game. Call it Newton's Law, call it Creative Exaggeration, call it Acting, call it whatever you want. Everyone does it. It's not that big of a deal. Players flop, most of the time, to draw attention to a foul. If there was absolutely no contact, or possibility for such, it would be hard to successfully pull off a flop. While there are notable exceptions, watch how many times guys hit the floor and the refs ignore them.

Where the line needs to be drawn is when people are malaciously, or habitually flopping. Where they are going so far out of their way to fake contact that it is completely messing up the flow of the game. A la game 4 (was it?) in Denver. You flop too much, and the refs will start calling every. Little. Thing. It makes the games long, drawn-out, and uninteresting. To do it a little, or to do it only when they wouldn't have caught the hit otherwise, is ok in my book.

So yes, Manu is a flopper. But not the bad kind. What he does, is just part of the game.

PM5K
05-18-2005, 10:17 PM
No. I think most the time Manu actually gets hit. But he exagerates the impact and flops sometimes to get calls.

QFT

ZStomp
05-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Did you see fortson flop after duncan went by him in the first half, and again under the basket in the second half. The guy is atrocious, and they say that manu flops!!

I wasn't talking about Fortson. :wtf

I'm talking my Manu.

Sonia_TX
05-18-2005, 10:58 PM
There was ALOT of Flopping last night. The Sonics were flopping too! BIG TIME. They didn't get away with it though because they're not as good as Gino is w/the acting. hehe

rwb
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
The problem I have with flopping is that when a player actually DOES get hammered (Tony comes to mind), a lot of times there's no call. It's getting the point where the refs can't tell the difference.