PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul wouldnt have survived in the 80's or 90's

lefty
08-22-2010, 08:15 PM
What the fuck happened to the NBA

Fuck David Stern for his offense friendly rules, for pussyfying the league

Fuck, there were REAL rivalries back then, no crybabies, and the refs would't blow the whistle every single time

Let them play!

If there was no blood, there was no foul :hat

Man, it was so fucking good and intense........... :depressed

K9u3TwLdgoM

TZ0aRxa6IL4

BlackSwordsMan
08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
chris paul would have gotten his ass kicked the first time he flopped, kobe with his little dainty fingers would have them broken clean off

lefty
08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh I forgot Gasol too

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Hell yeah, let them fight! I remember a fistfight that broke out in one of the 1980's Celtics Lakers finals between Larry Bird and James Worthy. Anyone have a video of that? It must be out there...I'd like to see two refs get in a fight over how they saw a play. More fans fighting each other would be fun. Or players choking their coach. That actually happened...*cough* Sprewell *cough*.

Jt.ONE
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
.. and lebrons elbow would have been really injured

redzero
08-22-2010, 08:31 PM
And Manu, too. You can't forget him.

Purch
08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I would have love to see Bruce Bowen in that era

Purch
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
35kyz8FiZU8

5kj6h8TF58U

Quit Hatin'
08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
u forgot tim duncan bro

http://myteamrivals.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5513d181b8834012875aba6d1970c-500pi

Quit Hatin'

Giuseppe
08-22-2010, 08:44 PM
[Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul wouldnt have survived in the 80's or 90's]

Bryant has held his own inside the wire after the rape. First his old lady sided him, and now Artest likewise. Artest was born for such an appointment. And held it superbly. But, if Bryant doesn't do the wet work 6 times in the first 82 we're in Boston in Game 6 & 7 and me & Luva are SOL.

The remainder? They're white bread. Fact is if Dallas ain't in Miami four Summers and a lifetime ago, we ain't even havin' this conversation, Lefty.

And you know it, daddy-O.

lefty
08-22-2010, 08:46 PM
[Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul wouldnt have survived in the 80's or 90's]

Bryant has held his own inside the wire after the rape. First his old lady sided him, and now Artest likewise. Artest was born for such an appointment. And held it superbly. But, if Bryant doesn't do the wet work 6 times in the first 82 we're in Boston in Game 6 & 7 and me & Luva are SOL.

The remainder? They're white bread. Fact is if Dallas ain't in Miami four Summers and a lifetime ago, we ain't even havin' this conversation, Lefty.

And you know it, daddy-O.

LOL

Kobette is a giant, overprotected, vocal flopping pussy

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2010, 08:51 PM
u forgot tim duncan bro

http://myteamrivals.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5513d181b8834012875aba6d1970c-500pi

Quit Hatin'

yeah cause building your career on bank shots is a 00's thing

Purch
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
But seriously. The theme of this thread is all summed up by Bruce Blitz

XOyhDhWzCHA

Quit Hatin'
08-22-2010, 09:14 PM

ya cause a guard with a fundamental postgame is really easy to find in the 00's.

Quit Hatin'

lefty
08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
But seriously. The theme of this thread is all summed up by Bruce Blitz

XOyhDhWzCHA

Ah yes yes, I forgot the hanchecking rule

Amaso
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I like how the whole thread is basically about not blowing the whistle and manning up but you didn't mention MJ had 17+ free throw attempts in that game.

namlook
08-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I like how the whole thread is basically about not blowing the whistle and manning up but you didn't mention MJ had 17+ free throw attempts in that game.

Jordan got the benefit of the whistle in his favor more than anyone in the history of basketball.

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
ya cause a guard with a fundamental postgame is really easy to find in the 00's.

Quit Hatin'

He's not a guard

himat
08-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I would agree with Wade and Paul. If Wade played anything like he did now in the 80's he'd be injured before he even lifted off. His fancy explosive flashy moves work now, but he would have actually had a true foul happen to him back then. If you think he's injury prone now he would have died back then.

Chris Paul is great, but he is overrated in my mind. Personally I like D Will more. I haven't seen enough of CP3 to see how he would have dealt with the game back then.

LeBron would still be very very good. He's the greatest athlete I've ever seen and he would have looked like an even greater athlete back in that day. If he doesn't go down as an All Time Basketball Great he will go down as the most Athletic NBA Player ever.

Kobe would be successful back then. Probably not as successful as he is in the 2000's because he would meet his match in stubbornness in MJ some time down the road. When people say Kobe couldn't survive against the toughness from back in the day or when people say MJ couldn't play against the athleticism in today's game I laugh. These guys are so committed they would find a way to be the best.

Darrin
08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Ah yes yes, I forgot the hanchecking rule

That's like saying "I forgot about Pearl Harbor." It's a different league now. Watching players get their shot up over defenders used to show their skill. Now, they essentially cannot be touched if they are in a shooting position. There are so many calls where I say "that wouldn't impede my progress to the rim," yet there was a hand that touched the pinky of the guy as he was going up, so it's a foul.

I don't hate it, but comparing defenses from 1990 to 2005 to 2010 is impossible. I thought 2005 was great. This is less enjoyable. It's like the quarterback rules in the NFL--it has decreased the accuracy of the average QB for two reasons:

1.) You don't have to be that accurate anymore. To have comparable stats to Brett Farve from 1994, you can be less skilled and throw bad passes. The stats don't show that, but it's true. It used to be like threading the needle to get to an offensive player. Now, it's like getting it through a tire.

2.) The QB isn't used to pressure. Any applied causes them to fold like a card table.

But there's a major difference--the NFL is trying to prevent head injuries. NASCAR is trying to prevent serious injury. The NBA is trying to increase scoring. These are the best players in the world To not shoot 50% now is a tragedy.

Look at the shooting percentages. I remember when .400 was a good shooter. Now, if a guy is under .445, he's no good. That's the league average.

Getting your shot off is not as important. Everyone can get their shot off. It was jarring in 2005-06, but it hasn't changed. The league is playing different ball. Whether that's good or bad is another question, but you cannot forget that you got up this morning. You can't forget that you have eyes in your head. You may not be aware, but the game is completely different.

MmP
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
did you guys ever noticed this is called bussiness?
Secret: And1 sells more than brawls

Mark in Austin
08-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Kobe would be fine. Now, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, pretty much everybody that complained like little bitches about Bowen - those guys would be fucked.

Kobe never complained about Bowen - he welcomed the competition.

The guy I would love to see play the Knicks, Pistons, Bulls of the early 90's would Kenyon Martin. Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley would take his per diem and make him cry. :lol

DJ Mbenga
08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
kobe can definitely hang in the 80s. lebron has the body but his shooting would have had him in the bench constantly. its not just about brute strenght and toughness. duncan could have made it in the 80's but no better than a kevin mchale.

Koolaid_Man
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Fuck, there were REAL rivalries back then, no crybabies, and the refs would't blow the whistle every single time

Let them play!

K9u3TwLdgoM

and you wouldn't have gotten any pussy at all in the 80's to mid 90's...You had to be at least 6ft tall to get pussy in those days. You lucky the internet helped change the game up you bastard...:lol

TZ0aRxa6IL4

Koolaid_Man
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Let them play!

and you wouldn't have gotten any pussy at all in the 80's to mid 90's...You had to be at least 6ft tall to get pussy in those days. You lucky the internet helped change the game up you bastard...:lol

Koolaid_Man
08-22-2010, 11:14 PM
and just in case you a haters forgot...Here is Kobe's first basket as a Laker back in the mid 90's...He looked comfortable out there. No doubt he would have dominated the competition in the 80's no question.

cZdMsKn8YxE

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2010, 11:39 PM
of the 00 champion teams i'd say year 00-05 would be pretty good, but on the fence bout the 03 lakers and the 05 Spurs.

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
I would agree with Wade and Paul. If Wade played anything like he did now in the 80's he'd be injured before he even lifted off. His fancy explosive flashy moves work now, but he would have actually had a true foul happen to him back then. If you think he's injury prone now he would have died back then.

Chris Paul is great, but he is overrated in my mind. Personally I like D Will more. I haven't seen enough of CP3 to see how he would have dealt with the game back then.

LeBron would still be very very good. He's the greatest athlete I've ever seen and he would have looked like an even greater athlete back in that day. If he doesn't go down as an All Time Basketball Great he will go down as the most Athletic NBA Player ever.

Kobe would be successful back then. Probably not as successful as he is in the 2000's because he would meet his match in stubbornness in MJ some time down the road. When people say Kobe couldn't survive against the toughness from back in the day or when people say MJ couldn't play against the athleticism in today's game I laugh. These guys are so committed they would find a way to be the best.

Great post agree with everything even with kobe would STILL be effective ...but less so.

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Let me say this ... though I agree Stern's rule has led to the pussification of the League ... but to use the 90's as an example of the best of the NBA is foolish. Outside of the Bulls, sonics and maybe the Jazz very few teams were capable of playing good solid and physical defense without being cheap shots artists ANd also being able to execute consistently on the offensive end.

The mid to late 80's had the best balance of great offense with better defense.
The ealy 80's was too wide open ...
The 90's was mostly slow paced ball
The 2000's seems to be way too soft ... but the spurs and Lakers BOTH played the game tough but not dirty (save rick Fox and Bowen)while also running good offense.

The past 3 finals have also been slugfests, more than shootouts even with the new rules. So i don't know if i co-sign going back to the "old school rules" ...

but i am for anything that leads to LESS FT's ...the Mavs vs. Heat finals was a travesty ...

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 09:26 AM
one more quick note the flopping of Valde, Manu, fisher, Rodman (people NEVER call him out for it) and Verejao is not any better than the divers in FIFA level soccer.

Ashy Larry
08-23-2010, 09:42 AM

the prettiest and easiest shot in the game ..... when I played it made shit so much easier margin for error diminishes so much if you know how to go glass.

himat
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Great post agree with everything even with kobe would STILL be effective ...but less so.

Why? You know Michael wouldn't let him walk all over him. Kobe would meet his match in stubbornness. Michael kept championships from so many great players including: Ewing, Payton (until he got one with the Heat), Stockton, Malone, etc. Hell if he didn't leave for baseball Olajuwon might not have gotten those 2 rings.

Mark in Austin
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
and just in case you a haters forgot...Here is Kobe's first basket as a Laker back in the mid 90's...He looked comfortable out there. No doubt he would have dominated the competition in the 80's no question.

cZdMsKn8YxE

I posted earlier that I thought Kobe would do fine, but this is a stupid video to use to prove that point. Can can a shot where nobody was near him prove that he would play well in the hand-check era?

hater
08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
they all would have gotten AIDS right?

ambchang
08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
No surprise Kobe Bryant went from a low 20's scorer all the way to a high 20's/low 30's scorer over the course of a hand checking eliminating season. Despite shooting and making similar number of 3s.

Kobe Bryant would have been a Clyde Drexler, or even Mitch Richmond level of player in the 90's.

ambchang
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Wade would probably have fared worse. He had his coming out party in 06, when the league further reduced the amount of physical contact allowed on the perimeter.

Wade was drafted 5th for a reason, because executives were not able to gauge the impact of these rule changes to understand that the league is moving towards a guard oriented game.

HarlemHeat37
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
The 80s and 90s are overrated in a lot of ways, TBH..

BTW, as history has shown us, the top players always transcend to every other era..the changes in eras and style of play generally effect role players/lesser players a lot more than they effect anybody else..

Obviously in regards to players like Kevin Martin and Corey Maggette that make it their purpose to exploit the foul rules in today's game, they would be worse, but the style of play wouldn't effect guys like Lebron, Kobe and Wade nearly as much as people seem to think..great players always transcend through different eras and style of plays, since the NBA is always changing..

Cane
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Out of the guys in the thread title only LeBron would've been as great in the 80's and 90's where it was much more physical and handchecking was prominent. He's simply incredible when it comes to bulldozing to the rim and his passing and court vision are on another level than anybody in the title than CP3.

himat
08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
The 80s and 90s are overrated in a lot of ways, TBH..

BTW, as history has shown us, the top players always transcend to every other era..the changes in eras and style of play generally effect role players/lesser players a lot more than they effect anybody else..

Obviously in regards to players like Kevin Martin and Corey Maggette that make it their purpose to exploit the foul rules in today's game, they would be worse, but the style of play wouldn't effect guys like Lebron, Kobe and Wade nearly as much as people seem to think..great players always transcend through different eras and style of plays, since the NBA is always changing..

Great post. But I still feel like Wade would have gotten severely injured unless he changed his play style. Kobe has a great jumper and has a very fundamental post game and that is why he is still successful even though he's had knee and finger injuries as he's gotten older. LeBron is a train so he doesn't really get hurt. Wade is very injury prone though. And his injuries take away from his game a lot more than it does for other players.

Hornets1
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Isiah made it and CP3 couldn't have? Personally, I think D-wade and Dirk would have suffered the most.

Purch
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Isiah made it and CP3 couldn't have? Personally, I think D-wade and Dirk would have suffered the most.
2I1iH9i2J4E

Hornets1
08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Put CP3 w/ the bad boy pistons, then make your judgement. Dirk and Gasol would still be great players, as would wade, but they wouldn't be superstars. Paul's game might slightly drop, but he would still be an all-star.

himat
08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I think Chris Paul is a top 3 PG in the game, but he isn't better than any of the guys you just mentioned...He might be better than Pau but barely.

You really think an era change would make him better than them?

Hornets1
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I think Chris Paul is a top 3 PG in the game, but he isn't better than any of the guys you just mentioned...He might be better than Pau but barely.

You really think an era change would make him better than them?

Yes, I do. Paul is not as frail as the others as far as position goes. Sure, he is short, but more muscular than gasol and dirk. You thought the bad boys punished Jordan? Just imagine what they would have done to Wade.
But hey, to each his own.

By the by, paul is a top 2 PG. I think he is the yin to Dwill's yang. I'm a fan of PG's and they are easily the best is the biz

lefty
08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Put CP3 w/ the bad boy pistons, then make your judgement. Dirk and Gasol would still be great players, as would wade, but they wouldn't be superstars. Paul's game might slightly drop, but he would still be an all-star.
Isiah was tougher

You don't even have to touch CP3 to make him cry

In game 6 of the 88 Finals vs L.A. Isiah got hurt, got up, played on on leg.

He was pushed, bumped, grabbed, guarded by bigger guys and yet scored 25 pts in a quarter.
On 1 leg

himat
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, I do. Paul is not as frail as the others as far as position goes. Sure, he is short, but more muscular than gasol and dirk. You thought the bad boys punished Jordan? Just imagine what they would have done to Wade.
But hey, to each his own.

By the by, paul is a top 2 PG. I think he is the yin to Dwill's yang. I'm a fan of PG's and they are easily the best is the biz

Yeah I understand your reasoning. Pau didn't do so hot as the best player in Memphis. Yeah he did well individually but the team never really went anywhere.

I'm a big character guy so I will keep arguing with you that Dirk would still be great. Wade and Paul's antics piss me the hell of. :lol

And yes I do understand the whole Wade injury thing. I mentioned it above in the thread somewhere.

To be honest I don't have enough knowledge on CP3 to make a somewhat accurate judgment. From what I know though he is like Isiah in many ways, but I don't see the same toughness and will.

Red Hawk #21
08-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I think out of all the players mentioned D-Wade would have suffered the most. Especially the younger version of D-Wade that couldn't really shoot but was relentless at attacking the rim. He would've got hurt in the 80's or 90's, those guys simply were just not going to allow one man to continue to drive over and over to the rim. He always ends up on the floor in this era, just imagine the amount of punishment he'd take in those eras.

Smooth Criminal
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
the prettiest and easiest shot in the game ..... when I played it made shit so much easier margin for error diminishes so much if you know how to go glass.

I think you mean the margin increased? as in you had more room for error with a bank shot?

Smooth Criminal
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
The first year of no handchecking was 2005, right?

Take a look at Kobe's averages from 2001-2004.

Especially the first 3 seasons, and keep in mind the difficulties he had in 04. He was fine with handchecking

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Why? You know Michael wouldn't let him walk all over him. Kobe would meet his match in stubbornness. Michael kept championships from so many great players including: Ewing, Payton (until he got one with the Heat), Stockton, Malone, etc. Hell if he didn't leave for baseball Olajuwon might not have gotten those 2 rings.

huh? I said i agree with everything EVEN that ...

himat
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
huh? I said i agree with everything EVEN that ...

:lol Sorry I misread that big time.

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
the 80's was NOT overrated the 90's were ...
I also think this past decade doesnt get it's due either ...
We had a dynasty Laker team and a worthy rival franchise that was a potential dynasty and the most consistent teams of ANY decade in the spurs ...
We had some one to 1.5 hit wonder champions: Heat, Celtics, and Pistons

And look at the HOF'ers that had their prime that decade: shaq, tim, Kobe, KG, Ray allen, dirk, Paul pierce, A.I, Kidd Nash and
We also had young stars that got their start in this past decade: Lebron, Melo, bosh roy, paul Dwill etc.

i think the NBA is in it's best place since the 80's even though they have no definitive MJ torch bearer right now ...

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
:lol Sorry I misread that big time.

it's cool it was a great and fair post ...

hitmanyr2k
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
2I1iH9i2J4E

Kblaze's Bad Boy mix is so much better :lol

1xnRwLaE42w

ezau
08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Kobe would survive and would be good enough to reach the Finals only to lose against MJ. IMHO, Kobe would be the Clyde Drexler of the 80s. If Mark Price was successful back in the 80s, Paul would hold his own.

Wade on the other hand is a different case. I'm not sure how he'll be able to handle all the hand-checking back in the 80s. James would dominate and there's nobody during that time that would be able to handle him when he drives to the lane. His spotty outside shooting would kill him though.

ezau
08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
MJ would have a few less rings if Kobe had played in the watered down 90's.

The only team that had the chance to beat the Bulls during the 90s was Hakeem's Rockets. Kobe would be lucky to win one during that era. He's lucky he came into the league when MJ already on his way down. If he came earlier, well:depressed

redzero
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
MJ would have a few less rings if Kobe had played in the watered down 90's.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5566/kobemichael.jpg (http://img826.imageshack.us/i/kobemichael.jpg/)

Bulls-Lakers games would have been extremely awkward.

ezau
08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
If you had taken Kobe's 3-peat Lakers and this current Laker team and put them in the 90's, MJ would be ringless.

So you're saying that Kobe>MJ? Yes or No?

HarlemHeat37
08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
The 3-peat Lakers would have/could have given those Bulls some problems, especially with Shaq in the middle, but these current Lakers definitely couldn't..the 2010 Lakers were very weak for a championship team IMO..

Koolaid_Man
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
The 3-peat Lakers would have/could have given those Bulls some problems, especially with Shaq in the middle, but these current Lakers definitely couldn't..the 2010 Lakers were very weak for a championship team IMO..

Harlot Ho...If you really want more just scream it out louder...:toast

Bynum >>> Longley...Bynum would feast…thanksgiving style. He’s better offensively, rebounding-wise, skill-wise and defensively. No contest at all here. A healthly and prime Bynum would outscore Kuc by 18-20 points and feast on the boards.

Gasol > Rodman.... No doubt that Dennis would have gotten in Gasol’s head for at least 2 games by making his dick hard when Gasol backed into the paint, and then asking Gasol if he felt all that meat. But ultimately Rodman would have been overmatched one-on-one by Gasol’s length and euro skillset. Gasol would have learned quickly to put Dennis on his hip. Also with Gasol range he would have kept Dennis out the paint and off the boards.

Artest <= Pippen. Artest wins defensive match-up. Pippen wins offensive...If they both shut each other down defensively then it would hurt the Bulls more due to their reliance on Pip. But a prime Artest would cancel Pippen at a minimum which significantly hurts the bulls.

Jordan = Kobe... Cancel out. Jordan never played defense against a guy that could outscore a team by himself or even a guy that was a more prolific scorer with more range than him and a comparable post game. For every turnaround J of Jordan's...Kobe busting his ass with back-2-back-2-back three's...

Harper <Fisher. Fisher would have won this match-up due to his clutchness and hardcore physical play as a guard. Fisher can legitimately win a game for you in crunch time or even a quarter, similar to his performance against Boston in game 3, and Orlando last year in game 4. Harper simply could not carry a team to victory like Fisher has.

Kukoc = Odom... Both play like euro's...Pretty much a wash…both around 6-10, left-handed, and can both handle and pass. Odom a better rebounder Kukoc a better shooter.
Kerr <= Vujacic. Sasha would have harassed Kerr all over the court into turnover after turnover. Kerr more consistent shooter but couldn't play the harrasing defense that Sasha can.

Lakers Phil = Bulls Phil…People confuse Phil’s bad knees and hips with desire to win. Sure he gives Kobe coaching duties at times and he may not jump up and down and harass the refs but he still has that calm fire. I think Phil senses that Kobe is just a brighter guy than Jordan at thinking the game and reading defenses so he’s given more leeway.
and 2000 Lakers would have shitted more prolifically all over MJ's bulls...:toast

himat
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow you overrated some of the Lakers big time.

I'm too lazy to show how foolish some of your ratings were there right now.

ezau
08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Jordan = Kobe

Finally, a Laker fan who has now admitted that Jordan is as good as Kobe. It's official, Kobe is as good as Jordan. :toast

ambchang
08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
The first year of no handchecking was 2005, right?

Take a look at Kobe's averages from 2001-2004.

Especially the first 3 seasons, and keep in mind the difficulties he had in 04. He was fine with handchecking

Hand checking was eliminated in 1994, but not really enforced until around early 2000's.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/22/aldridge.defenses/index.html

Defense 3 seconds was implemented 2001, look at Kobe's average in 00 and then 01.

ezau
08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Hand checking was eliminated in 1994, but not really enforced until around early 2000's.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/22/aldridge.defenses/index.html

Defense 3 seconds was implemented 2001, look at Kobe's average in 00 and then 01.

The defensive three second violation is a joke of a rule.

Chieflion
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Artest is better than Pippen on the defensive end?

ahahahahaha LMAO CROFL LOL.

lefty
08-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Kobe would survive and would be good enough to reach the Finals only to lose against MJ. IMHO, Kobe would be the Clyde Drexler of the 80s. If Mark Price was successful back in the 80s, Paul would hold his own.

Wade on the other hand is a different case. I'm not sure how he'll be able to handle all the hand-checking back in the 80s. James would dominate and there's nobody during that time that would be able to handle him when he drives to the lane. His spotty outside shooting would kill him though.
Good post, but Price was much tougher than Paul

Paul is such a big whiny diva

Remember when Bowen got suspended for not even touching him?

redzero
08-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Really? So they were on the ground fighting for a loose ball and Bowen didn't even touch Paul? How does that work?

Hornets1
08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Wow you overrated some of the Lakers big time.

I'm too lazy to show how foolish some of your ratings were there right now.

:lol:lolRight.....

PIPPEN would DOMINATE RON RON

picc84
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Handchecking may have been eliminated in the rulebook, but not on the court. Every superstar swingman gets the shit handchecked out of him to this day.

djohn2oo8
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
znAA4mLU0II

lol

Hornets1
08-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Bynum > Longley... longley wasn't good, but bynum isn't either. has he never feasted on anyone
Gasol = Rodman.... gasol is more polished, but rodman's defense and rebounding would have canceled alot of pau's offensive game out, which is all he really has

Artest <<<<< Pippen. pippen would have exploited artest like no one else could

Jordan >>>>> Kobe... KOBE IS NOT MJ!!!

Harper >Fisher. better all around

Kukoc>>> Odom... No question here, kukoc could score w/ the best of them
Kerr>Vujacic. Better player, better shooter, more clutch

Lakers Phil <<< Bulls Phil… He was better when he wasn't so full of himself:toast

Fixed

Hornets1
08-24-2010, 09:50 AM

I hope that is a joke

lefty
08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I hope that is a joke
Actually Paul is the one who punched Bowen

redzero
08-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Actually Paul is the one who punched Bowen

Yeah, with a devastating wrist punch.

lefty
08-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, with a devastating wrist punch.
:lol

lefty
10-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Man, they really let them play back then !!!

Look at Brid's foul on King at 2:13

No flagrant was called, and King didn't whine like Kobette

jI08KkeAl4g

Cry Havoc
10-15-2010, 09:51 AM

jI08KkeAl4g

You don't think that should be a flagrant? Those kind of fouls can cause injuries, concussions, etc. And you're going to love it as a fan until someone puts Tony Parker or Tim Duncan into the second row and they are out a week near the playoffs because the refs "let them play". Basketball is a game of skill and finesse, not blindsiding someone like a linebacker. Go watch the NFL if you want that. What kind of skill as a basketball player does it take to lay out an unaware opponent?

Btw, thanks for posting this video. It really illustrates the point I've been making: 80s defenses sucked. Who the hell gives Larry Bird an open 12 foot jump shot? 80s era defenses, that's who. They allowed hand-checking because no one bothered to play consistent lock down physical defense.

LkrFan
10-15-2010, 10:08 AM

jI08KkeAl4g
You are one really dumb fuck if you don't think Kobe couldn't play in the 1980's. This MFer played with sprained ankles, broken fingers on his shooting hand, on knees so swollen that they needed draining during the playoffs, etc., all in an effort to not miss any playing time. We saw it against Reggie Miller's Pacers in the Finals during his first 3-peat (yeah I said first) and we saw him play one a knee that was less than 100% in last year's Finals as they beat wheelchair boy Paulina Pierce. He's played with a host of other nagging injuries that most players would have taken off weeks at a time to rehab (don't even get me started with Tickle Me Elbow). Kobe's finger was so busted and arthritic that he had to reinvent his shooting stroke (with the help of Chuck Person) en route to his 2nd consecutive Finals MVP trophy. I laugh at dumbasses that bring up 6-24. He did it with 2 broken fingers on his shooting hand - that would affect anyone's shot. That shooting % didn't deter him because he still went out and snagged 15 rebounds with 8 good fingers and a bum knee along with stellar defense.

In short, Kobe is one tough SOB. Anybody in the league would tell you no different. Of course this is not a Laker board so I expect nothing less from you hating fucks. Carry on shit head.

midnightpulp
10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
You are one really dumb fuck if you don't think Kobe couldn't play in the 1980's. This MFer played with sprained ankles, broken fingers on his shooting hand, on knees so swollen that they needed draining during the playoffs, etc., all in an effort to not miss any playing time. We saw it against Reggie Miller's Pacers in the Finals during his first 3-peat (yeah I said first) and we saw him play one a knee that was less than 100% in last year's Finals as they beat wheelchair boy Paulina Pierce. He's played with a host of other nagging injuries that most players would have taken off weeks at a time to rehab (don't even get me started with Tickle Me Elbow). Kobe's finger was so busted and arthritic that he had to reinvent his shooting stroke (with the help of Chuck Person) en route to his 2nd consecutive Finals MVP trophy. I laugh at dumbasses that bring up 6-24. He did it with 2 broken fingers on his shooting hand - that would affect anyone's shot. That shooting % didn't deter him because he still went out and snagged 15 rebounds with 8 good fingers and a bum knee along with stellar defense.

In short, Kobe is one tough SOB. Anybody in the league would tell you no different. Of course this is not a Laker board so I expect nothing less from you hating fucks. Carry on shit head.

If given the opportunity, I bet you'd bathe in Kobe's semen.

Do you sometimes throw lotion (or a similar substance) on your face and pretend you took a cum-shot from Kobe?

From the police report, we know cumming on a girl's face is Kobe's thing, so I'm sure you got very excited when you found out Kobe's fetish is compatible with your fantasy.

lefty
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Btw, thanks for posting this video. It really illustrates the point I've been making: 80s defenses sucked. Who the hell gives Larry Bird an open 12 foot jump shot? 80s era defenses, that's who. They allowed hand-checking because no one bothered to play consistent lock down physical defense.
So this one video confirms your point

It's the GS Warriors; they have never been a defensive powerhouse

Giuseppe
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
If given the opportunity, I bet you'd bathe in Kobe's semen.

Do you sometimes throw lotion (or a similar substance) on your face and pretend you took a cum-shot from Kobe?

Mid, gettin' his fantasy on.

lefty
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Look homer

In today's watered down, softened up NBA, Kobe vocally flops, even when nobody touches him

In the 80s and 90's, the game was more physical, the rules were different, the refs called less fouls

So, based on all that, do you really think that Kobe would have survived?

Take your P&G glasses off, for one second

It's possible

Do it

Do it

Cry Havoc
10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
So this one video confirms your point

It's the GS Warriors; they have never been a defensive powerhouse

Find me a video of a non-NBA Finals game from the 80s where teams played hard defense throughout the game.

TheMACHINE
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Lefty, Kobe welcomes physical basketball. Yes, he verbally flops, cuz he knows he can get the call. That doesnt change the fact that he is tough, mentally and physically.

All you have on Kobe is that he verbally flops..thats all you've been saying. You have nothing on him as a physical or mental player to justify your point that he cant survive in the 80's.

Ashy Larry
10-15-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it would really depend on the era. If you took it back to the 70s, we see what fighting did to the NBA in that decade. Low attendance and great fights on the floor. The guys in the 80s and 90s were pussies compare to the 70s era and Mo Lucas was the guy you really didn't wanna fuck with. He was like the Stu Grimson of basketball. We saw the damage Kermit Washington can do. Ask Rudy T.

Robert Parish did drop a couple of hammers on Bill Laimbeer.

Giuseppe
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Mo Lucas was the guy you really didn't wanna fuck with.

A course 'till we got him, and then he decides to civilize himself:rolleyes

#2!
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Chris Paul would be fine in the 90s, people are mistaking his complaining to get calls as weakness when they're really just gamesmanship. Chris Paul is a tough, high IQ player, and he just happens to be smart enough to know that moaning like a bitch gets a guy more in today's game than just walking a hard foul off.

Kobe would be fine, maybe not a 5 time champ if he had to go head to head with Michael, but still an extremely good player.

To the guy that said Tim Duncan would have been no more than Kevin Mchale in the 80s, you're a moron. They have post moves in common, but Tim is clearly better no matter what year it is. I thought people had just accepted that fact by now, but I'll post this so all the young fans of other teams can know that TD's offensive game wasn't always just bankers and single dribble layups. (the early years can be sorted out by noting the pastel colors in the arena:lol)

uN9FQ3RGjX8

TheMACHINE
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
TBH, i think everyone in the title would have survived accept Wade.

The Franchise
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Lefty, Kobe welcomes physical basketball. Yes, he verbally flops, cuz he knows he can get the call. That doesnt change the fact that he is tough, mentally and physically.

All you have on Kobe is that he verbally flops..thats all you've been saying. You have nothing on him as a physical or mental player to justify your point that he cant survive in the 80's.

I think Kobe would be a good player, but he definitely wouldn't be nearly as effective as he is now. Go back and watch the handchecking video in this thread and listen to the list of things (besides handchecking) that they've changed to make the game easier for perimeter players. Were the 90's rules suddenly put into the game today, a lot of these superstars would take a huge hit to their numbers. Can you imagine how many 20 ppg scores would now be averaging 10 instead? :lol

TheMACHINE
10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
I think Kobe would be a good player, but he definitely wouldn't be nearly as effective as he is now. Go back and watch the handchecking video in this thread and listen to the list of things (besides handchecking) that they've changed to make the game easier for perimeter players. Were the 90's rules suddenly put into the game today, a lot of these superstars would take a huge hit to their numbers. Can you imagine how many 20 ppg scores would now be averaging 10 instead? :lol

we'll never know...who knows..maybe Kobe would be just as effective. His basketball IQ is pretty high and he obviously copied MJ's style. It may be true to other players but if it will effect Kobe, it would probably be minimal imo.

Giuseppe
10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Those 3 jail break rammers to the rim 4th quarter/Game 7 by Bryant were vicious.

- "Go for it, Rock!"

namlook
10-15-2010, 12:12 PM
You don't think that should be a flagrant? Those kind of fouls can cause injuries, concussions, etc. And you're going to love it as a fan until someone puts Tony Parker or Tim Duncan into the second row and they are out a week near the playoffs because the refs "let them play". Basketball is a game of skill and finesse, not blindsiding someone like a linebacker. Go watch the NFL if you want that. What kind of skill as a basketball player does it take to lay out an unaware opponent?

The Franchise
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
we'll never know...who knows..maybe Kobe would be just as effective. His basketball IQ is pretty high and he obviously copied MJ's style. It may be true to other players but if it will effect Kobe, it would probably be minimal imo.

It would effect Kobe as well. Do you think his numbers and percentages would be higher or lower under the old rules? His shooting percentages are lower than the stars of the 80's and 90's (not just Jordan, but all the stars) in an era when the rules are set up for guards to succeed. I can only imagine how much worse they would look if players were actually allowed to properly guard him on the perimeter. Had his career been played under those rules there is one thing of which I am certain. There definitely wouldn't be any more comparisons to Jordan being thrown out anymore. :lol

namlook
10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
It would effect Kobe as well. Do you think his numbers and percentages would be higher or lower under the old rules? His shooting percentages are lower than the stars of the 80's and 90's (not just Jordan, but all the stars) in an era when the rules are set up for guards to succeed. I can only imagine how much worse they would look if players were actually allowed to properly guard him on the perimeter. Had his career been played under those rules there is one thing of which I am certain. There definitely wouldn't be any more comparisons to Jordan being thrown out anymore. :lol

People can say what the want about the rules but team defenses are definitely better now compared to the 80's and 90s. The zone was also illegal then and it was a one on one league in the 80s and 90s. Do you know how much easier it is for a superstar with great offensive skills to score when he is isolated one one one vs a defender? You just don't see isolation plays anymore with superstars because today's defenses won't allow it.

TheMACHINE
10-15-2010, 12:28 PM

you also have to keep in mind in which teams played in the 90's. Not so good imo.

lefty
10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Find me a video of a non-NBA Finals game from the 80s where teams played hard defense throughout the game.
Even today there are not a lot of good defensive teams

The Franchise
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
you also have to keep in mind in which teams played in the 90's. Not so good imo.

I was a grown man in the 90's and clearly remember the level of play, and I actually prefer that brand of ball (just my opinion). It was a much slower pace because of the defense they were allowed to play, but I actually prefer the grind it out defensive contests, instead of calling fouls for breathing on players. I know it doesn't sell tickets, but seeing a player really earn it was much more enjoyable in my eyes. Someone made a point that Jordan recieved a lot of calls from the refs which is true, but they failed to mention the punishment he took to get them.

I've witness Jordan (who I have always hated by the way) get murdered going to the rim, and the opposing player get called for a foul. Not a flagrant, but a regular foul. That is the big difference between the physicality now compared to then. You had to be a real man to enter the paint knowing what was coming then. Now if you give the same hard foul, you're looking at a 25,000 dollar fine and a two game suspension. Players today get rewarded by the rules just for playing in this era.

namlook
10-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I've witness Jordan (who I have always hated by the way) get murdered going to the rim, and the opposing player get called for a foul. Not a flagrant, but a regular foul. That is the big difference between the physicality now compared to then.

Yes there was a difference in physicality then vs now. The game was more physical. But a more physical game doesn't mean defenses were better. Team defenses in today's game are definitely better than in the 80s and 90s.

Baseline
10-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Kobe Bryant = World B. Free.

If Bryant didn't swindle his way to LA in the first place, nobody would give a rat's ass about him. If he had stayed in Charlotte, or played in Utah or Milwaukee or Atlanta, he'd be just another gunner.

z0sa
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
you been playing too much 2k11, lefty

z0sa
10-15-2010, 01:34 PM
David Robinson = Greg Oden

bwahahahahhahahahahahaahhahhaaaahahahhahahahahahha hahahahahahhaha

:rollin:rollin:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

sometimes I think you just couldn't go any further, get any funnier, and then you pull out another trump card. :toast

z0sa
10-15-2010, 01:41 PM
i agree comparing world b. free and Kobe is pretty funny, but DRob and Oden in response? That's running with it.

Giuseppe
10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Good to see you back in the bounds of sanity, Z.

lefty
10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
you been playing too much 2k11, lefty
But 2K11 = reality

Isn't it ? :(

Cry Havoc
10-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Even today there are not a lot of good defensive teams

That's because the definition of a "good defensive team" has changed a lot in the past 20 years. The sophistication and consistency of defense in the past two decades has improved more than anything else in the NBA. That's precisely why the hand-check was removed, and even with that, scoring is still down across the league despite the less physical fouls that are called.

If you want an example of 80s style basketball, look no further than the Phoenix Suns since Steve Nash came to town. Yes, they're amazing on offense, but where did that get them in the playoffs? As soon as teams put the clamps on, they get beat every single year.

Offensively, I think the game has seen marginal improvement. The Showtime Lakers would still be winning games today. But on average, they would play against teams that would slow them down like they never experienced in the 80s. Just watch the videos. There's almost no rotation, no pick n roll defense, no complexity to the way they respond to quick passing and ball reversal. As soon as the offense generates momentum, the D starts scrambling with no rhyme or reason, and it results in open jumpers from the free throw line extended -- or closer -- at many many points every game, which you almost never see in today's NBA. Just the closeout defense alone is 10 times what it used to be, in terms of speed and aggression.

lefty
10-15-2010, 04:02 PM
You all were saying the '08 Boston team was the greatest defensive team of all time. Overall, the players are just better in every aspect of the game in today's game. It's not that the defense was better in the 80's and 90's, the league just allowed more hacking. It was three times more physical, I will agree there, but the players today are just better.
:lol

Medvedenko
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Left.....did you actually watch ball back in the golden era (80's) when teams were constantly putting up crazy offensive stats, no zone defences and a less athletic era than in today's game not to mention the 90's and 2000's. I know I'm retired from spurs talk, but being on this board for 6.5 years, these type of threads didn't exist back then.

With advanced scouting and technology today it's far more difficult to have a player dominate consistently.

The "kids" on this board can stick with 2k11's fascination with the 80's and 90's. Please...ball will be better in 10 years than it is now...that's a fact. It's evolution my friends.

duhoh
10-15-2010, 04:57 PM
The only team that had the chance to beat the Bulls during the 90s was Hakeem's Rockets. Kobe would be lucky to win one during that era. He's lucky he came into the league when MJ already on his way down. If he came earlier, well:depressed

Well, it was Hakeem and a sack of crap that made it to the top the first time around, and Clyde the 2nd time. I say they drop the first one if MJ was still in the league.