PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter

phyzik
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/neverwinter-nights-online/1115073p1.html

Cryptic Studios Announces Neverwinter
Franchise being transformed into an online, co-op RPG.

You spent a couple nights in Neverwinter a few years back, and now Cryptic Studios wants to welcome you back for an extended stay. Cryptic, Atari Europe, and Wizards of the Coast announced today the development of Neverwinter, a new online RPG based in the beloved D&D city.

Though Cryptic is most famous for its MMORPGs City of Heroes, Champions Online, and Star Trek Online, Neverwinter will not be massively multiplayer. Rather, the game will invite players to choose from one of five classic D&D classes and team up with up to four friends or AI allies for a co-op adventure.

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/object/143/14357370/neverwinter.jpg

"We're beyond thrilled to develop a brand new version of Neverwinter," said Jack Emmert, COO of Cryptic. "It's been years since the original became a gaming icon and we're honored to work with such a great franchise. We've been working closely with Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore to create an authentic D&D adventure filled with compelling fiction and exciting gameplay."

The game isn't set to ship for PCs until late 2011, but it will be part of a multi-platform event, including a new tabletop dice roller from Wizards of the Coast, and a book trilogy from Salvatore. The first book, Gauntlgrym, is set to lay the groundwork for the game's storyline and will hit the shelves on October 5.

About that storyline -- here's the setup from Cryptic:

Once a bustling location, Neverwinter has faced a great many disasters in the past hundred years. Rule of the city remains unclear following the unfortunate demise of the last Lord of Neverwinter and factions still battle for dominance after the all-consuming Spellplague took a high toll on the population. Even Neverwinter's dead are beginning to rise from their graves and march upon the city they once called home.

Based on 4th Edition D&D rules, Neverwinter will also include creation tools for gamers to build their own levels and quests and share them in-game.

"Wizards of the Coast is excited to invite millions of fans back to Neverwinter with the launch of R.A. Salvatore's Gauntlgrym," said Liz Schuh, brand director for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast. "And we're excited about the prospects for great digital gaming experiences based on this epic world."

Cry Havoc
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Please just take the grind out. I want to see an RPG where I don't have to grind. Gaming should NOT be work.

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
never got into this game

sounds the same as guildwars, only 4 player co-op quests...

phyzik
08-24-2010, 01:17 AM
never got into this game

sounds the same as guildwars, only 4 player co-op quests...

If its anything like the origional, its NOTHING like Guild Wars.

This is based off of D&D version 4.... now Im not defending the game, I actually have some negative opinions of what they are doing with it, but if its true to D&D rules then it will be NOTHING like Guild Wars.

From what it sounds like, it will be like Diablo 2 meets Dragon Age.... but with more character custimization and better graphics...... A wanna-be diablo 3 with heavier RP elements.

I have no faith in cryptic studios at this point.... At all.... They had something going with Champions Online MMO when it was in beta... then they changed the whole shit right at release because it was so easy to "max out" and they didnt have time to complele more of the end game which turned alot of people off.

I really believe they are going to fuck up the series of Neverwinter games..... And that is sad.

The one bright spot is that R.A. Salvatore is involved.

Xevious
08-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Cryptic Studios sucks ass.