PDA

View Full Version : Denver putting J.R. Smith on the Trading Block

spursnatic
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Spurs always have had interest in J.R..Do you think it's possible we could get him?..

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Not really. Not sure we need him anymore anyway if Neal plays the way he has the past few seasons and/or Anderson lives up to hopes.

Nathan89
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
We would have to throw dice in the trade and that would make this team worst.

Not a chance.

Mr. Body
08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Ha ha. Nope. That bird has flown.

Leonard Curse
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
like mr. body said, i thought pop really tried to get him here

Dex
08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
No, thank you.

rjv
08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
we can bring brent barry out of retirement and then trade him for j. r.

elemento
08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
head-case

pass

slick'81
08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
how bout for brent barry wait nvm theres always rj i guess

TimmehC
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
He can be our new center.

YoMamaIsCallin
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Spurs always have had interest in J.R..Do you think it's possible we could get him?..

It was more than just interest. The Spurs actually traded Brent Barry for him in 2006 (http://www.121s.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4417&m=) but the trade arrived in the league office a few minutes late and was not allowed. They actually told Brent he was traded and he had to be called back from the airport to rejoin the Spurs.

At this point I don't know if I'd want him. Four years ago he was raw talent. Now he's got his game baked in and I don't think it's a Spurs game.

silverblk mystix
08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
you guys are INSANE

head case or not JR Smith is a fuckin talent and if there was a way the spurs could grab him--the spurs would be instant contenders---depending on what they have to give up

it won't happen anyway...it is a pipe dream

but if it did

JR is light years better than neal,anderson and/or any other spurs not named TD/TP/MANU

FalleNxWiZarDx
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
he has the talent.... but I rather have someone eles who is devoted to the game then him

Temple!

Dex
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
you guys are INSANE

head case or not JR Smith is a fuckin talent and if there was a way the spurs could grab him--the spurs would be instant contenders---depending on what they have to give up

but if it did

JR is light years better than neal,anderson and/or any other spurs not named TD/TP/MANU

J.R. Smith may be talented, but he's a chucker, a head case, and a locker room distraction. This article really sums it up best:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/441824-denver-nuggets-look-to-finally-part-ways-with-jr-smith

J.R. Smith is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, embodied in one of the most gifted physical talents to play in the NBA.

At once, Smith can jump off the bench and inject life into the Nuggets with his skilled shooting.

Look again, and Smith is creating distractions, playing selfishly, or just abandoning his teammates during a playoff loss.

Smith was last on the NBA hardwood during Game Six of the first round of the NBA playoffs. As his Nuggets played a difficult contest against division foe Utah Jazz, Smith walked off the floor with his head hung low as time ran out on the 2009-10 season.

The act of selfishness was only the latest in a saga that has gone on throughout Smith’s time in Denver.

He'll never be a star, and he's not worth the trouble for a role player. Might as well start chasing after guys like Iverson and McGrady; at least the cancer will come with a smaller price tag.

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 04:25 PM
you guys are INSANE

but if it did

He scores a lot, but he does it inefficiently. That works in fast offenses, but probably not so much in ours. I think Neal and Anderson will fit in much better than he could based on this alone.

superbigtime
08-23-2010, 04:39 PM
No heart, no brains, no thanks

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-23-2010, 04:54 PM
It was more than just interest. The Spurs actually traded Brent Barry for him in 2006 (http://www.121s.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4417&m=) but the trade arrived in the league office a few minutes late and was not allowed. They actually told Brent he was traded and he had to be called back from the airport to rejoin the Spurs.

At this point I don't know if I'd want him. Four years ago he was raw talent. Now he's got his game baked in and I don't think it's a Spurs game.

This.

Back when the trade happened and then didn't he was an unknown commodity. It sucked because I think a lot were looking at him as something like Jax: a guy with some issues that could be ironed out in the sort of locker room environment that the Spurs had. Now, even as the Spurs have been in desperate need of another scorer, it looks possible, even likely, that the Spurs dodged a bullet.

For better or worse Pop's a guy who likes known quantities. Some as inconsistent as Smith would not have gotten very far with him.

AlleyOopNazi
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
too risky, he has an inflated sense of self-value and would take too many possessions from our la vaca dinero Manu. We need depth at Center more than anything IMO

AlleyOopNazi
08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I'de rather have Mo Williams than J.R. Smith; that's not saying a lot.

benefactor
08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Nope. They might have shown interest in the past but there is no room for him now.

DPG21920
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I would take him if the price is right, no doubt. He can score, get to the rim and when focused he can be a very good perimeter defender. Problem is he is rarely focused and the I don't see a trade that makes sense.

EricB
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
wouldn't touch this peanut head with a ten foot pole.

DPG21920
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder what they will be looking for in return seeing as JR is an expiring contract himself. They don't really even have anyone they would want to salary dump. Only Al Harrington or Chris Anderson have somewhat long and/or pricey contracts and they are both new contracts so I doubt they will want to dump them.

Bruno
08-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure Spurs were interested in JR Smith. IMO, the Barry trade was mainly to dump Brent's big contract and to go under the tax.

DPG21920
08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Didn't the Spurs try and trade for him after that as well? Or didn't they offer him a FA contract? Maybe I am remembering something that did not happen....

galvatron3000
08-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Pass, we have Anderson, Manu and Neal. No need to go after Smith now plus we have other wings. Might as well keep Gee instead of going after SMith, cheaper

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Not true. The Spurs wanted to get a young athletic swingman. The lower price tag was a bonus. I talked to a Hawks source of mine and he told me that their GM wouldn't have his phone off during the trade deadline, he just didn't want to help the Spurs. It's an even deeper story there.

At liberty to share?

ChuckD
08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
He scores a lot, but he does it inefficiently. That works in fast offenses, but probably not so much in ours. I think Neal and Anderson will fit in much better than he could based on this alone.

His career pts/FGA is 1.20. Just off the top of my head, I know that's better than Rudy Gay. He's not THAT inefficient because he makes a lot of three balls.

He's pretty much wasted his talent and career, though. He could have been Kobe II, but instead wasted his time arguing with coaches and walking out of practices. If he ever DID get his head on straight, he could be All-NBA, but I don't see that as likely at this point. I doubt the Spurs would even give him a sniff.

Bruno
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Not true. The Spurs wanted to get a young athletic swingman. The lower price tag was a bonus.

Not true.
It was mainly a financial trade, getting J.R. Smith was a bonus.

Spurs could have done the trade without Atlanta included but it would have let them over the tax threshold. If the main goal of thsi trade was to get Smith, Spurs would have done a 2 team trade with Hornets.

mfanatic
08-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Nope. I hardly share anything I know on this board. For example, I knew about the Ginobili extension months before Ludden. It's the positives of knowing the cyotee.

Stop being a punk, share info if you know something

benefactor
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Stop being a punk, share info if you know something
Stop being a pushy jackass and enjoy the info you get.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-23-2010, 09:46 PM
We have James Anderson now.

ohmwrecker
08-23-2010, 09:49 PM
So, is Phila really that weird ass that has floor seats at every NBA game and dresses like a futuristic rodeo queen?

SouthTexasRancher
08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
WOW, the RJ & JR show....that'll make people forget about the 3 sisters down there in South Beach.

Nah, I'll pass. One RJ/JR is enough. Let's see what James Anderson and Gary Neal do against NBA competition. If Pop plays them the right way they could be pretty damn good.

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
But the didn't want to go over the tax. Or perhaps the Hawks were going to take on Barry's contract. Regardless the Spurs wanted JR.

With respect, I don't understand how what you say here in any way contradicts or expands on Bruno's point.

DPG21920
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
:lol I can't believe people believed Phila.

ChuckD
08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
But the didn't want to go over the tax. Or perhaps the Hawks were going to take on Barry's contract. Regardless the Spurs wanted JR.

With respect, I don't understand how what you say here in any way contradicts or expands on Bruno's point.

Exactly. Bruno said that the primary motivation was financial, not that they didn't want him. I think they wanted him, to a point, but not enough to pay the tax, since they still could have done the deal without ATL being involved.

ohmwrecker
08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
:lol I can't believe people believed Phila.

I didn't believe him, I just didn't really take my shot when it was more appropriate and I am always looking for an opportunity to call someone a weird ass.

Ginobili2Duncan
08-23-2010, 10:46 PM
The Spurs aren't going to make a move for him. They are set at the backcourt. I can see him going to the Boston Celtics if they still have Wallace's contract on the books. They were have been looking for 6th men, such as, Fernandez and Barbosa at the beginning of the offseason and eventually had to settle for Wafter.

ducks
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
hill straight up for jr

admiralsnackbar
08-23-2010, 11:22 PM
hill straight up for jr

From a financial standpoint alone this is a brilliant idea. /blue

ducks
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
if rj was not resigned I could easily see the spurs go after him

Bruno
08-24-2010, 03:51 AM

It seems that you've forgotten the whole story.

Spurs were over the tax by about $0.8M before the trade deadline in 05-06.
They had a trade in place at the last minute with Hornets that was Barry ($4.7M salary) for JR Smith ($1.3M), Macijauskas ($2.5M) and Jackson Vroman ($0.7M). This deal let Spurs still $0.6M over the tax so Spurs try to include a third team (Hawks) to take Vroman and go under the tax.

It was a financial trade. Spurs wanted to dump Barry's contract and wanted to go under the tax with this trade.

portnoy1
08-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Headcase, dont want him. He is not Spur material.

nbaman99
08-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone dissing RJ just take a look at the Spurs top ten video. Most of the clipps filled by RJ and Manu. I think Parker and RJ had a hard time adjusting, where Manu and RJ excelled the expectations. So having a year under the belt for both Parker and RJ will work for our advantage.

crc21209
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
i would take him if the price is right, no doubt. He can score, get to the rim and when focused he can be a very good perimeter defender. Problem is he is rarely focused and the i don't see a trade that makes sense.

+1.

Chieflion
08-25-2010, 08:27 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/25/police-j-r-smith-involved-in-altercation-at-nuggets-practice-f/

Who is going to trade for him now? Choking someone you don't know.

ChuckD
08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/25/police-j-r-smith-involved-in-altercation-at-nuggets-practice-f/

Who is going to trade for him now? Choking someone you don't know.

:lol He's always had Kobe level talent. Now we know who's brain he has: Spree's!!

K-State Spur
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
when focused he can be a very good perimeter defender.

yeah, i remember that time, it was awesome.

Big P
08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
lol..Pop would make jr cry like a bitch!

Dex
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38858188/ns/sports-player_news/

Police involved in J.R. Smith incident

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith was involved in an altercation at the team's practice facility on Aug. 13, when police were called after an individual not with the Nuggets said he was attacked by Smith after running in drills with him.

Charges will not be filed, but things are not well in Denver right now. "They were just wanting the guy to be physical with J.R., telling the other guys, 'Hey, body up on the guys and really make them work,'" a source said. "J.R. just lost it. He tried to choke the kid, and the kid called the cops." Smith, who is due to be traded soon, spent time in jail last year, George Karl is sick, they fired the core of the front office and haven't hired a new general manager yet, and it sounds like Carmelo Anthony is on his way out of town after the season.

Yeah, seems like a real winner.

Hooks
08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
J.R Smith is one dumb motherfucker.

The Franchise
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
J.R Smith is one dumb motherfucker.

johnnySpurs
08-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Is JR Smith gonna have to choke a bitch?

benefactor
08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Have fun in Europe, JR.

Blackjack
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
ShamSports

The player J.R Smith choked was former West Texas A&M swingman, Damien Lolar. 5 minutes ago via web

Chomag
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Dumb people (J.R.) will be dumb poeple. Sadly there is nothing that can change that.

gospursgojas
08-26-2010, 03:50 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/388581...s-player_news/

Police involved in J.R. Smith incident

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith was involved in an altercation at the team's practice facility on Aug. 13, when police were called after an individual not with the Nuggets said he was attacked by Smith after running in drills with him.

Charges will not be filed, but things are not well in Denver right now. "They were just wanting the guy to be physical with J.R., telling the other guys, 'Hey, body up on the guys and really make them work,'" a source said. "J.R. just lost it. He tried to choke the kid, and the kid called the cops." Smith, who is due to be traded soon, spent time in jail last year, George Karl is sick, they fired the core of the front office and haven't hired a new general manager yet, and it sounds like Carmelo Anthony is on his way out of town after the season.

Yeah, seems like a real winner.

Looks like Denver is doing all they can to keep 'Melo

ajballer4
08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Im surprised he is only 24. I thought he was more 27 or 28

ChuckD
08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Im surprised he is only 24. I thought he was more 27 or 28

Being 24 puts him at 6 years in the league. He jumped straight from HS.

dbestpro
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
JR Smith must be JR Rider's yonger brother.

howbouthemspurs
08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
That guy sucks! I hope we wont get him

Trill Clinton
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Do.Not.Want.

ducks
08-26-2010, 09:22 PM
he would be sj and even be better when he was with spurs

iManu
08-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Psychos, I guess, just make the best basketball players.

ducks
08-28-2010, 10:24 AM
if manu is hurt for 40 games
jr shooting from downtown would be helpfull