PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 'still haven't beaten our starting 5,' Doc says

Ashy Larry
08-23-2010, 07:24 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38821667/ns/sports/

Doc Rivers came back to the Celtics because he wanted to make one more run at it with this group, he believed that this unit had one more title in it.

Of course, there are a couple obstacles to that. For one, there's that Laker team that just beat the Celtics in the finals.

But Rivers still believes Boston was the better team when healthy, as he told John Thompson when he was on ESPN 980 in Washington D.C.

"They still have not beaten our starting five. Our starting five against the Lakers starting five has a ring. Tell him don't forget that. We will be back strong and Perk (Kendrick Perkins) will be there next year if there's a game seven."

I hate the "what if" injury game. Doc, I'll counter your "what if Perkins was healthy for Game 7?" with a "What if Andrew Bynum had been healthy the entire series?" The what if game is circular.

But before Boston can worry about the Lakers, the Celtics have to get out of the East. And we all know that Miami is going to be good, including Rivers, but he wonders about their defense.

Will (the Miami trio) work? Eventually it will work. Will it work right away? I coach the Boston Celtics so I hope not. I do think people are all focusing on the wrong thing. I think everybody is talking about shots. Is there enough shots, will they have enough shots, will they be able to play together, whose going to take the last shot and that could cause turmoil, but I think the key for them is will they defend? Because if they defend and get stops, they're talented enough offensively to get points. The key for them is will they buy into being a defensive unit."

Rivers has one new big addition this season in Shaquille O'Neal - who may be key in getting past Miami in the playoffs, But Rivers is honest about how hard working Shaq into the Celtics system can be.

My biggest concern honestly coach is defensively because every time Shaq comes on the floor, everyone is going to run pick and roll and no one has been successful in figuring out how to use him and I'm no smarter than anyone else. That's all we've been focusing on this summer is trying to figure out what we're going to do in pick and rolls when he comes into the game."

That is about where the interview ended, as Rivers had to go to his local church and make an offering, light a candle and pray for his team to stay healthy.

Basically. Bynum was out in 2008. By that theory, Boston hasn't beaten the Lakers with their starting five as well.

picc84
08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Doc's got a short, selective memory.

http://www.milkmanthefilm.com/akirawing/img/Worlds%20Smallest%20Violin.jpg

Leetonidas
08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah but Bynum is always injured. So it's not really an excuse.

21_Blessings
08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah but Bynum is always injured. So it's not really an excuse.

:rolleyes

Besides Kobe was injured in the finals and the Lakers still tapped that ass.

Bynum/Gasol/Kobe in the Lakers starting lineup remains undefeated in the playoffs and repeated as champions; something the Celtics haven't done since the fucking 60s. :lol

Jt.ONE
08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
what if bynum was 100%
what if kobe was 100%

there wouldn't be a game 7.
doc is a sore loser.

Nathan89
08-23-2010, 07:42 PM
What if the lakers didn't always get assistance from the officials?

They would have a couple less rings.

IronMexican
08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Doc sounds pretty butthurt.

namlook
08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
"Philly still hasn't beaten our starting 5."
-Pat Riley, post 1983.

"Detroit still hasn't beaten our starting 5."
-Pat Riley, post 1989.

"Chicago still hasn't beaten our starting 5."
-Mike Dunleavy, post 1991.

What ifs mean nothing. All that matters is who holds the trophy at the end. If someone is not durable enough to avoid injury, tough shit, you don't deserve to win.

The Batman
08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
What if Lakaluva actually liked women?

Cane
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Looks like Doc Rivers learned well from Phil's media gamesmanship. Both Doc and the Laker fans are right though.

IronMexican
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks like Doc Rivers learned well from Phil's gamesmanship. Both Doc and the Laker fans are right though.

No, both are wrong. Tough luck, but you play with what you have. No excuses.

Lakers lost in 2008, and Boston lost in 2010.

PGDynasty24
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM
And he has never Beat our Starting 5, 2 can play that game. Playing the "What If" game will take you nowhere,have I thought about what would've happened in 08 if Ariza was healthy and we had bynum yes; but injuries are ultimately part of the game

thispego
08-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Rivers is absolutely right. Also, what if the lakers hadn't cheated and got gasol for nothing? Would they have even made it to the finals in any of the past three years? Probably not. Any way you look at it, the lakers recent repeat is cheap and meaningless.

IronMexican
08-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Rivers is absolutely right. Also, what if the lakers hadn't cheated and got gasol for nothing? Would they have even made it to the finals in any of the past three years? Probably not. Any way you look at it, the lakers recent repeat is cheap and meaningless.

i don't know what it is, but when i read this post, i want more!

picc84
08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
The butthurt wasn't that fast, but it was still perfect.

HeatChamps
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Too bad Doc won't get another chance to play the Lakers as they will be beat down by the Heat if they get that far.

The Batman
08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
What if your father had forced that slut mother of yours to swallow instead of raw dicking her and making that ultimate mistake that became you?

I'm just an alter ego, but I would like to hear more of your life stories. You seem so traumatized, you should be placed in Arkum Asylum

The Batman
08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a library you know. Get a card.

Does it contain any Calculus books?

SouthTexasRancher
08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
For Doc that is stooping pretty damn low. Show a little more class, Doc.

HarlemHeat37
08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
No, both are wrong. Tough luck, but you play with what you have. No excuses.

Lakers lost in 2008, and Boston lost in 2010.

Good post, beautiful;)..

IronMexican
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
He called me beautiful.

The Batman
08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
He called me beautiful.

:lmao

Killakobe81
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
He lost ...end of story. Beat the Heat AND Lakers this year and he has the last laugh ...

HarlemHeat37
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
He lost ...end of story. Beat the Heat AND Lakers this year and he has the last laugh ...

:rollin:lmao

himat
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM

He and Pierce almost did have the last laugh this year. You think Pierce's head was big after 08? I was so pissed just thinking about how cocky him and the Celtics would be if they won it this past season.

First round they take out D Wade and the Heat, including one Paul Pierce game winner.

Second round they go down 2-1 to the Cavs and end up humiliating LeBron and co., especially in Game 5 where LeBron might have played the worst game in his career in his final home game as a Cavalier.

Third round they go up 3-0 on Dwight and the Orlando Magic. After getting a small comeback scare the Celtics shut that team down and won the EC championship.

In the Finals the Celtics were up 3-2. LA fought back but Boston was holding on to an 11 point lead in the second half of a Game 7. If LA didn't claw there way back into that game the Celtics might have beaten the 4 best NBA players and their respective teams en route to a championship.

(The best 4 players is arguable.)

ohmwrecker
08-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm just an alter ego, but I would like to hear more of your life stories. You seem so traumatized, you should be placed in Arkum Asylum

It's Arkham Asylum. How can you be a Batman nerd and get that wrong?

IronMexican
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
TDK sucked.

Chillen
08-23-2010, 11:17 PM
The thing I got out of reading this whole thread is that Rivers is bitter, both the Lakers and Celtics are now even and have beaten eachother in the NBA finals, the Lakers got Gasol for nothing and wouldn't have all the success without that trade, and 3peating is going to be quite a feat for the 2010-2011 Lakers.

So......have the Heat won it all yet? lol

The Batman
08-23-2010, 11:21 PM
It's Arkham Asylum. How can you be a Batman nerd and get that wrong?

I'm drunk, don't judge me

EIC
08-24-2010, 12:55 AM
:rolleyes

Besides Kobe was injured in the finals and the Lakers still tapped that ass.

Bynum/Gasol/Kobe in the Lakers starting lineup remains undefeated in the playoffs and repeated as champions; something the Celtics haven't done since the fucking 60s. :lol

Part of me thinks Kobe claims fake injuries in an effort to bolster his legacy by being able to say he accomplished X while being less than 100%. I mean, how many goddamn times is Kobe going to have a hand injury?

Venti Quattro
08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
boo hoo :cry

EIC
08-24-2010, 01:05 AM
What does the other part of you think?

That you make a steaming pile of shit look good.

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2010, 01:19 AM
That you make a steaming pile of shit look good.

:rollin

LkrFan
08-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Part of me thinks Kobe claims fake injuries in an effort to bolster his legacy by being able to say he accomplished X while being less than 100%. I mean, how many goddamn times is Kobe going to have a hand injury?
Whenever defenders stop hacking him because they can't check him meanwhile the refs swallow their whistles.

You guys think LeHype and DWhistle are good, just think if Kobe got the calls he deserves? Simply put Kobe isn't protected the way he should be. When defenders finally get called for fouls he'll stop having broken fingers, sprained ankles, knees that need draining twice in a playoff series, etc.

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Whenever defenders stop hacking him because they can't check him meanwhile the refs swallow their whistles.

You guys think LeHype and DWhistle are good, just think if Kobe got the calls he deserves? Simply put Kobe isn't protected the way he should be. When defenders finally get called for fouls he'll stop having broken fingers, sprained ankles, knees that need draining twice in a playoff series, etc.

LkrFan
08-24-2010, 01:57 AM
We know Kobe is an all-time great. I really don't see what is funny. Check the boxscores. Many times you will see Kobe get like 2 or 3 token FTs or go several games without shooting any at all. Maybe it was good defense by his defenders...:wakeup

Kobe doesn't get 1/5 the calls LeHype and DWhistle gets.

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Lebron's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.3, 10.3, 10.2..
Wade's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.7, 10.5, 9.9..
Kobe's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.1, 10.2, 10..

LkrFan
08-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Lebron's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.3, 10.3, 10.2..
Wade's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.7, 10.5, 9.9..
Kobe's 3 highest FTA per game seasons: 10.1, 10.2, 10..
Ok you dishonest bastard. Were all three of these years in the same years? Or are you cherry picking? Fact is, after Colorado, it was open season on Kobe whereas LeWade was always coddled by the refs.

I never said Kobe didn't get his fair share of FTs...in the past. Post Colorado is much much different. We've seen injury after injury mount because the refs won't give him any calls. Must be some sort of Stern mandate.

Hell I remember one game Leon Friggen Powe shot as many FTs as the Lakers did in the 2008 Finals. GTFO with that FT BS. :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
08-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Um, all 3 of those Kobe seasons are post-Colorado..ya..:lol

So, your theory is that Kobe gets injured because the refs don't blow the whistle?..intriguing theory..

Poirot
08-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Um, all 3 of those Kobe seasons are post-Colorado..ya..:lol

So, your theory is that Kobe gets injured because the refs don't blow the whistle?..intriguing theory..

I think he means the seasons immediately following Colorado, which I think is correct. Kobe gets more than a fair share of superstar calls today though.

Darrin
08-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think that Boston will contend this season. I think they are done. But the bravado, the bulletin-board material when the Lakers and the Celtics get together--this feels like the rivalry.

Giuseppe
08-28-2010, 03:20 AM
In the Finals the Celtics were up 3-2. LA fought back but Boston was holding on to an 11 point lead in the second half of a Game 7.

It was at that point Luva got reinstated and we went on to the end.

Oh, it was a glorious nite.

SenorSpur
08-28-2010, 11:18 AM
If Perk wouldn't have gotten hurt..., if your team wouldn't have run out of gas..., and if your team would've closed out that 4th quarter..., we wouldn't be having this thread.

It's a shame that the C's blew such a golden opportunity by sqaundering that 7th game. A game in which they dominated for three quarters.

Memo to Doc:
Perhaps you've heard the old saying, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Instead of crying over spilled milk, just saddle it up and bring it back again next season.

HarlemHeat37
08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I think he means the seasons immediately following Colorado, which I think is correct. Kobe gets more than a fair share of superstar calls today though.

Colorado happened going into the 2003-2004 season..the 3 seasons I posted were the 3 seasons following that one, well before Kobe had an image makeover..I think it's safe to say that his statement was false, as usual..

Giuseppe
08-28-2010, 12:12 PM
It's a shame that the C's blew such a golden opportunity by sqaundering that 7th game. A game in which they dominated for three quarters.

Shining example of why the first 82 are of vital import.

I wanted Bryant to sit out two months after January and let that finger heal.

Thank Christ he didn't.

Poirot
08-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Colorado happened going into the 2003-2004 season..the 3 seasons I posted were the 3 seasons following that one, well before Kobe had an image makeover..I think it's safe to say that his statement was false, as usual..

You're right. I am rather surprised that he averaged that many free-throws. Nonetheless, from a purely subjective standpoint, I thought Kobe did get hacked a lot in the 04-05 season without his fair share of calls. I firmly disagree that's the case today though.

nevetslc
08-28-2010, 05:04 PM
2010 NBA Playoffs Free Throw Differential
http://i47.tinypic.com/24ca5o6.jpg

First team to win a title with lowest FT differential BY FAR in playoffs.

21_Blessings
08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
:lmao the refs spotted LeRobin's Cavs 55 free shots and he still couldn't get out of the 2nd round.

himat
08-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Both of your guys's statistics don't mean too much...as you can see if you find the right statistics they can always prove your point.

From the basketball I've seen: Wade gets a ton of BS calls, LeBron gets bailed out a lot, and Kobe gets his superstar calls occasionally.

21_Blessings
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
From the basketball I've seen: Wade gets a ton of BS calls, LeBron gets bailed out a lot, and Kobe gets his superstar calls occasionally.

Kobe hasn't really gotten superstar treatment post-Colorado. I know most can't bear to admit it, but it's the fucking truth.

When was the last time Robin or Wade shot 0 free throws in playoff game? It's happened to Kobe a few times the last 3 years.

Bito Corleone
08-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Kobe hasn't really gotten superstar treatment post-Colorado. I know most can't bear to admit it, but it's the fucking truth.

When was the last time Robin or Wade shot 0 free throws in playoff game? It's happened to Kobe a few times the last 3 years.

Kobe definitely still gets plenty of superstar calls, and denying that is pure stupidity. Although I'll completely agree that he doesn't get as many gimme calls as Bron or Wade.

Also, Kobe shoots a lot more jump shots than Bron and Wade, and there tends to be a pretty high correlation between going to the rim and getting to the free throw line. In games when Kobe decides that he wants to attacks the basket he gets to line plenty. Still, if I had Kobe's range I wouldn't depend on going to the rim all the time either.

Giuseppe
08-28-2010, 09:33 PM
...though those three brutal dives to the cylinder fourth quarter a little over two months ago were a thing of beauty:lobt:

- "Go for it, Rock!"