PDA

View Full Version : A theory: How Parker becomes more reliable

Kori Ellis
05-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Buck Harvey: A theory: How Parker becomes more reliable
Web Posted: 05/19/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051905.1C.COL.BKNharvey.289d2bba5.html

SEATTLE — I have several theories about Tony Parker, and one is about Eva Longoria.

She has nothing to do with these playoffs.

Another theory? Parker's second-round birthday works against him now. He's been around so long that these celebrations suggest he should be in his prime, especially against young-looking Luke Ridnour, a second-year player, who had just his second 20-point game of the season in this series.

Except that Parker is younger than Ridnour.

My final theory is about what hangs on Parker tonight, and why he alternates between dominating and dominated. This is about a shooting motion that would put him in the woods if this were golf, and why he loses confidence, and why he gets frustrated with the refs and with himself.

Just a theory: No point guard outside of Jason Kidd can be consistent in this league without a reliable jumper.

Knowing Parker and his hit-miss pattern, he'll find his stroke tonight in Seattle. He'll come out as if no one can stop him, and everyone will remember why they praised him just a week ago.

Nate McMillan went beyond praise. He held up Parker as role model. "(The Spurs) went through the same thing that my young players here are going through," McMillan said then. "Tony Parker learned how to become a stud in the playoffs."

Before references to Speedy Claxton surface, understand where McMillan is coming from. Specifically, the playoffs three years ago.

Then, as a rookie, Parker put on a show against Seattle. It signaled both the beginning of his career, as well as the downward spiral of Gary Payton's.

The Sonics weren't surprised. They liked Parker in the 2001 draft but not enough to take him with the 12th overall selection. Their choice then was more than respectable; Vladimir Radmanovic's absence hurts them now.

Other teams weren't as lucky, starting with the Wizards drafting first. After suspending Kwame Brown for the playoffs, think the Wiz would rather have the 28th pick of that draft instead of No. 1?

That same summer, after a few rookie-league games, Parker showed the quickness he uses today. The Sonics were so impressed that the Seattle owner called Peter Holt directly to see if the Spurs would be interested in a swap.

The Sonics' offer? Merely Payton.

One Spurs veteran — and a smart veteran — then said the deal was a no-brainer. Put Payton next to a couple of 7-footers, and wouldn't the Spurs be title favorites?

They might have been. But this Spurs veteran had never seen Parker play. He was going on what he knew: That Parker was 19, as well as from friggin' France.

The Spurs knew more, as well as salary-cap issues. In order to make the trade work, they would have had to ship nearly everyone but David Robinson and Tim Duncan to Seattle.

Then there was this from a Spurs official at the time wondering about mixing coach Gregg Popovich and Payton. Could a Serbian live with a gangsta?

So the Spurs passed, and what followed helped realign the order of global basketball. This Euro-kid proved talent can come from anywhere, and, a year later, a South American restated that.

But even during the title run of 2003, Parker would first amaze, then prove solvable. Teams adjusted, and the Lakers did last year. Parker finished seasons looking confused.

Why? He's young, of course. But most problems can be traced to a curious shooting motion that mandates Parker cock his head and lean. When he's off, often his decision-making and confidence are, too.

Tuesday was the same. Parker started with a floater for the game's first points, but even that moment was telling. Then Ridnour stepped back, daring Parker to shoot a three, and Parker passed it up.

He would pass up others, too, as if he knew. There are games where everyone — including Parker — knows. That's why Seattle backed up, and why Parker won't be consistent until his jumper is.

That's also why the theory of pairing Kidd and Parker together always had an inherent glitch. One flawed shooter is enough.

But there's another side to this, and it's possible tonight. What if Parker is on, as he was in the overtime in Denver, and he again looks like the Isiah Thomas of his generation?

This comes with a theory, too.

Then the Spurs win.

milkyway21
05-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Then, as a rookie, Parker put on a show against Seattle. It signaled both the beginning of his career, as well as the downward spiral of Gary Payton's.

The Sonics weren't surprised. They liked Parker in the 2001 draft but not enough to take him with the 12th overall selection. Their choice then was more than respectable; Vladimir Radmanovic's absence hurts them now.

That same summer, after a few rookie-league games, Parker showed the quickness he uses today. The Sonics were so impressed that the Seattle owner called Peter Holt directly to see if the Spurs would be interested in a swap.

The Sonics' offer? Merely Payton. :lol

this Payton - Parker trade/swap IS an interesting story...
Parker owned the the Glove in 2002-2003,

might have contributed to his shipment from Sonics to the Bucks?

Only, Parker "lost" to the Glove(Lakers),in the last playoffs.

MiNuS
05-19-2005, 12:55 AM
wine or tequila,Parker?

Give him Tequila,so he can grow hairs on his balls!

rwb
05-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Payton as a Spur? Definitely on my "No Freakin Way" list. That guy's got a chip on his shoulder the size of the Titanic.

T Park
05-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Harvey has a great point.

You can practice with bad mechanics all you want, your still gonna be inconsistent if you have bad mechanics, its that simple.

this summer would be nice, if he went and saw a jump shot coach, who would change his form so he was more consistent.

Jimcs50
05-19-2005, 08:25 AM
One Spurs veteran — and a smart veteran — then said the deal was a no-brainer. Put Payton next to a couple of 7-footers, and wouldn't the Spurs be title favorites?

They might have been. But this Spurs veteran had never seen Parker play. He was going on what he knew: That Parker was 19, as well as from friggin' France.

The Spurs knew more, as well as salary-cap issues. In order to make the trade work, they would have had to ship nearly everyone but David Robinson and Tim Duncan to Seattle.

Then there was this from a Spurs official at the time wondering about mixing coach Gregg Popovich and Payton. Could a Serbian live with a gangsta?

So the Spurs passed, and what followed helped realign the order of global basketball. This Euro-kid proved talent can come from anywhere, and, a year later, a South American restated that.

Good thing Ghost Writer was not GM. :lol

Lonestar
05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
I can live with the decisions that have been made conerning Tony but what's the latest on Eva and the Star Wars guy? I can't believe she would do this to Tony. Not cause I give a damn about her standing on being Tonys squeeze but I'm seriously questioning her loyalty as Spurs fan. Hell I'd swear off women AND beer if I thought it would help the Spurs in the playoffs. Well, I'd only swear off beer for another championship. Gotta have priorities.

2centsworth
05-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Buck has a point to an extent, but the one thing I noticed most about Tony is that when he's not playing great defense his offense goes down the tubes. Reason for this is that Tony thrives on fast break points which builds his confidence. Tony had no steals and has been torched on defense by Luke the past 2 games. Tony is at his best when he is relentless on the defensive end. His youth and inexperience sometimes leads him to think it's all about offense.

Kori Ellis
05-19-2005, 10:56 AM
I can live with the decisions that have been made conerning Tony but what's the latest on Eva and the Star Wars guy? I can't believe she would do this to Tony. Not cause I give a damn about her standing on being Tonys squeeze but I'm seriously questioning her loyalty as Spurs fan. Hell I'd swear off women AND beer if I thought it would help the Spurs in the playoffs. Well, I'd only swear off beer for another championship. Gotta have priorities.

I know you probably haven't seen me say it 20 or 30 times, but this isn't a Tabloid Forum so please refrain from things about the player's personal lives. There's a thread about Eva in The Club, you can discuss it there.

boutons
05-19-2005, 11:08 AM
"You can practice with bad mechanics all you want, your still gonna be inconsistent if you have bad mechanics, its that simple"

hmm, tell Shawn Marion. :)

ie, if it ain't broke,....

But Tony's shot, jumpers/FTs, is obviously broken.

I'm kinda wondering WTF the Spurs skills development people are getting paid for?

I'm also kinda wondering, in this day of cheap and instant video equipment, how Tony cannot see how bad his shot mechanics are. After the May 04 debacle, he said he would spend all summer practicing shooting. So he comes back with exactly the same shot and FTs, and just as bad results, even WORSE on FTs.

There are some many good shooters, Mike Bibby, Kobe, Steve Nash, Ray, Manu, etc, that illustrate much superior, and much more effective, shooting form than Tony.

st้phane
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
hard to change your shot in two months when you have it for 12ish years...
i agree tho