PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Duncan's All-NBA pick puts him in elite club

Kori Ellis
05-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Series notebook: Duncan's All-NBA pick puts him in elite club
Web Posted: 05/19/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051905.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.289c241a8.html

Tim Duncan on Wednesday became only the fifth player to be named to the All-NBA first team his first eight seasons in the league.

Duncan joined Larry Bird, George Mikan, Bob Pettit and Oscar Robertson in the exclusive club after averaging 20.3 points and 11.1 rebounds this season.

He received 553 total points in balloting by a 124-person media panel, trailing only Miami's Shaquille O'Neal (616) and Phoenix's Steve Nash (606), who was named the league's MVP. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Philadelphia's Allen Iverson were the other members of the first team.

Seattle's Ray Allen was selected to the second team with 177 points. Manu Ginobili, who didn't make any of the three All-NBA teams, received 12 points. Tony Parker finished with seven.

Mohammed gets the message: Nazr Mohammed's 19 points might have been his most ever in the playoff game, but his offensive outburst wasn't completely unexpected.

"We talked to him a lot over the last couple of games about finding spots and not being afraid to take shots when they were there," Duncan said. "I thought he did a great job of that (in Game 5). They over-rotated a little bit and he was able to step into those holes and finish baskets."

Mohammed made eight of 10 shots, all but one of which were dunks or layups.

"That play has been there for them all series," Seattle center Jerome James said. "(Tuesday), we didn't have anybody to take that pass away. I don't know what happened."

Sonics coach Nate McMillan blamed the Spurs' guards.

"Basically their guards getting into the paint forced our bigs to step up and leave him underneath the basket," he said.

Robert Horry and Mohammed combined for eight of the Spurs' 15 offensive rebounds.

Ginobili steps up: Ginobili's 39 points were the most by a Spurs guard in a playoff game since George Gervin had 41 against Denver on April 20, 1985.

Ginobili's performance also was one of the most efficient: He took only 15 shots.

Few changes expected: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich isn't expecting too many adjustments by either team for tonight.

"By Game 6 in a series, both teams know each other pretty well," Popovich said. "It comes down to having a good game and good performances by people — like Ray Allen's performance in (Game 4), or Manu's performance (Game 5).

"In general, it comes down to who values the ball and doesn't turn it over a lot."

Tough call: Antonio Daniels didn't think Damien Wilkins' foul on Ginobili in Tuesday's fourth quarter should have been a flagrant.

"He tried to block his shot," Daniels said. "He didn't go for his head."

McMillan didn't dispute the Sonics have delivered more than a few hard fouls in the series.

"You don't want to go across the head, but you don't want to allow them to get it off and put them on the free-throw line," McMillan said.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Tough call: Antonio Daniels didn't think Damien Wilkins' foul on Ginobili in Tuesday's fourth quarter should have been a flagrant.

"He tried to block his shot," Daniels said. "He didn't go for his head."

I say someone crack Antonio in the head, and see what his whining, "hey" yelling little ass has to say.

Experiment2100
05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Manu didn't get hit in the head, he got slapped across the chest, Wilkins didn't look like he was going for the ball though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-19-2005, 01:03 AM
I know Manu didn't get hit in the head, but I'm tired of Antonio yelling "heeeeeeeey" every time he drives in the lane. A good pop to the jaw would probably shut him up.

And hey - Tony Massenberg needs to warm up for Shaq ;)

Jimcs50
05-19-2005, 08:06 AM
It was a message flagrant. The NBA will not allow that stuff to escalate in this series. Pop must have said something to the refs, afterall.

ambchang
05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I didn't think Wilkens was going for the head, and I actually thought he was going for the ball, just happen the ball is on the other side and he had to clothesline Manu. It was a borderline flagrant, but definitely a very hard foul.

bigzak25
05-19-2005, 08:56 AM
"Basically their guards getting into the paint forced our bigs to step up and leave him underneath the basket," he said.

"In general, it comes down to who values the ball and doesn't turn it over a lot."

and that about sums up the offensive gameplan for our spurs.

attack and value possessions.

do it consistently while hustling on D, and it's showdown time in the Finals with the champs to see who does it better.

Props to TD.