PDA

View Full Version : I"m truly disappointed in our intelligence community

Trainwreck2100
08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Why is the wikileaks guy still alive, he ain't American, just do your CIA thing and be done with it already.

Bartleby
08-25-2010, 11:04 AM
If it's any consolation:

WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, suspects the Pentagon is behind the rape allegations that were brought against him in Sweden.
fox news

WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, said Sunday he suspects the Pentagon is behind rape allegations that were brought against him in Sweden.

Swedish prosecutors quickly dropped the case against him on Saturday.

"I don't know who's behind this but we have been warned that for example the Pentagon plans to use dirty tricks to spoil things for us," he said in comments translated to Swedish. "I have also been warned about sex traps."

Swedish prosecutors defended their handling of a rape allegation against the founder of WikiLeaks, saying Sunday that they had made no mistakes in issuing an arrest warrant and withdrawing it less than a day later.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange said the short-lived warrant had damaged his group nonetheless.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority said an "on-call" prosecutor issued an arrest warrant for Assange late Friday only to see it revoked the next day by a higher-ranked prosecutor, who found no grounds to suspect him of rape.

"The prosecutor who took over the case yesterday had more information, and that is why she made a different assessment than the on-call prosecutor," said Karin Rosander, a spokeswoman for the authority.

She declined to specify what the new material was, but said there was "absolutely nothing" that suggested errors had been made by either prosecutor.

Assange was in Sweden last week seeking legal protection for the website, which angered the Obama administration by publishing thousands of leaked documents about U.S. military activities in Iraq and Afghanistan.

WikiLeaks is preparing to release of a fresh batch of classified U.S. documents from the Afghan war, despite warnings from the Pentagon that they could endanger American soldiers and their Afghan helpers.

The secretive Australian remains under suspicion of a lesser crime of molestation, which would not lead to an arrest warrant. Molestation covers a wide of range of offenses under Swedish law, including inappropriate physical contact with another adult, and can result in fines or up to one year in prison.

Assange called the allegations "without basis" in a Twitter posting and questioned the motives behind them in an interview with a Swedish newspaper.

The tabloid Aftonbladet quoted Assange as saying the allegations had caused damage even though the rape suspicion was dropped, because WikiLeaks' "enemies" could use them to discredit the site.

"I don't know who's behind this but we have been warned that for example the Pentagon plans to use dirty tricks to spoil things for us," he said in comments translated to Swedish. "I have also been warned about sex traps."

There was no immediate reaction Sunday from the Pentagon on Assange's comments.

Assange rejected the molestation accusation and said he has never — in Sweden or elsewhere — "had sex with anyone without the full consent of both parties."

Kristinn Hrafnsson, a WikiLeaks spokesman in Iceland, called the sequence of events related to the arrest warrant too "remarkable" to rule out ulterior motives.

"It is such an unbelievable unfolding of events that it would be unnatural not to consider that there is something behind it," he said.

A small Swedish justice watchdog group, RO, said it filed a complaint Sunday against the on-call prosecutor to the Ombudsmen of Justice, an office that investigates wrongdoing by public authorities. The complaint accused her of issuing the arrest warrant "without having enough information to make such a decision," said Johann Binninge, the group's chairman and founder.

___

Associated Press Writer Michaela Ristiniemi contributed this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/08/22/swedish-prosecutors-defend-face-recaled-wikileaks-rape-allegation/

Parker2112
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
too high profile to take out?

boutons_deux
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd much rather see Magic Negro fire the Marine general who said the pullout date was to Taliban's advantage, they just had to wait it out.

Well, General Semper Ignoramus, the indigenous and proximate peoples will always out wait the invaders/occupiers, so better to "advance to the rear" sooner than later, avoiding 1000s more of your beloved jarheads' lives and bodies and minds are wasted.

Trainwreck2100
08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
ruskies poisoned a guy everybody knew they did it, nobody did anything

balli
08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
too high profile to touch?

this. But at some point, when he's less in the public eye, they will kill him.

Blake
08-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the political forum

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
this. But at some point, when he's less in the public eye, they will kill him.

Doubtful. He's got a file that says "insurance" or something like that on his website, that's got some ridiculously high encryption on it. It's theorized that he's given the key to a few individuals to leak the info if something happened to him.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM
So we're killing civilians now to cover for the Pentagon's ineptitude?

It's not Assange that fucked up. It's the people in charge of securing the documents.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Doubtful. He's got a file that says "insurance" or something like that on his website, that's got some ridiculously high encryption on it. It's theorized that he's given the key to a few individuals to leak the info if something happened to him.

It's not that high, but secure as long as there's no known AES vulnerabilities found. I would have personally gone with RSA-4096. It's more battle-tested algo with proven intractability.

And doesn't this 'insurance' file actually makes him a target for the bad guys? If he does get killed, how does any of these key-holders really know it was the Pentagon vs the bad guys trying to get their hands on the encrypted data?

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
It's not that high, but secure as long as there's no known AES vulnerabilities found. I would have personally gone with RSA-4096. It's more battle-tested algo with proven intractability.

And doesn't this 'insurance' file actually makes him a target for the bad guys? If he does get killed, how does any of these key-holders really know it was the Pentagon vs the bad guys trying to get their hands on the encrypted data?

Ah thanks, it's been a while since I read the article. What's the level of AES encryption on it?

I'm assuming he gave them instructions to post the info if he died, in ANY way. That's the only way to make sure, really.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Ah thanks, it's been a while since I read the article. What's the level of AES encryption on it?

It's 256-bit AES. Basically, what's securing most of the web communications these days.

AES is a symmetric crypto algo (formerly known as Rijndael), and so far has been pretty solid. However, over time people can study the SBoxes and spot weaknesses. You remember well WEP and it's key-bit leaking side effects.

Nothing beats public-key crypto when you need absolute security, IMO.

I'm assuming he gave them instructions to post the info if he died, in ANY way. That's the only way to make sure, really.

Wouldn't the bad guys want to access the docs though? Doesn't that create an incentive for them to kill him?

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 01:24 PM
It's 256-bit AES. Basically, what's securing most of the web communications these days.

AES is a symmetric crypto algo (formerly known as Rijndael), and so far has been pretty solid. However, over time people can study the SBoxes and spot weaknesses. You remember well WEP and it's key-bit leaking side effects.

Nothing beats public-key crypto when you need absolute security, IMO.

Figured it was 256. Still though, he might have another encryption on it past the 256 layer. (If anybody would be able to brute-force crack a password, it'd be the gov't :lol.)

Hey El, you never mentioned what you did for a living. IT Security guy? I've got some training on the security side of IT, but it's mostly networking and crypto for me.

Wouldn't the bad guys want to access the docs though? Doesn't that create an incentive for them to kill him?

No, no, you misunderstand. The documents would be detrimental to the US government, most likely like the list of info he posted on the Afghanistan War but worse.

Drachen
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
They should watch some breaking bad, get some rison beans. Totally untraceable I hear.

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
They should watch some breaking bad, get some rison beans. Totally untraceable I hear.

Eh, nothing is totally untraceable. :D There's always the human aspect.

You want the latest and greatest in cryptography?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography

Have fun with that. :lmao

Drachen
08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Or they could just make him teach at a chinese school, eventually things will work themselves out.

Drachen
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
all kidding aside, I am with the "he is too high profile" crowd.

Trainwreck2100
08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
So we're killing civilians now to cover for the Pentagon's ineptitude?

It's not Assange that fucked up. It's the people in charge of securing the documents.

in america you kill people that shit on america the way he has, so long as they aren't american

MiamiHeat
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
i am quite surprised the swedish government has not stepped in here and helped the US govt

this is obviously a matter of national security, the swedes have an obligation to help an allied nation...

Winehole23
08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
You weren't impressed with the swiftly withdrawn indictments of Swedish authorities I take it.

MiamiHeat
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
No, no, you misunderstand. The documents would be detrimental to the US government, most likely like the list of info he posted on the Afghanistan War but worse.

I think you misunderstood ElNono.

By "bad guys", ElNono means people who want to hurt the USA.

So, if there is a threat to leak all info if anything happens to him, than what's to stop Al-Qaeda or anyone who hates the USA to kill him so that the info is leaked and it hurts USA?

Winehole23
08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
*Dodge*

*snif*

boutons_deux
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
dubya and the Repugs have wasted 1000s of US military with their bullshit, botched wars.

How many lives has Assange wasted?

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
i am quite surprised the swedish government has not stepped in here and helped the US govt

this is obviously a matter of national security, the swedes have an obligation to help an allied nation...

What laws did he break?

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

So, if there is a threat to leak all info if anything happens to him, than what's to stop Al-Qaeda or anyone who hates the USA to kill him so that the info is leaked and it hurts USA?

All things considered, I'm sure he's more worried about the government trying to get at him than a terrorist. The US government's arms reach much further.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Figured it was 256. Still though, he might have another encryption on it past the 256 layer. (If anybody would be able to brute-force crack a password, it'd be the gov't :lol.)

He might. That said, even thought brute-forcing lends itself well to parallelization, it would probably take shorter to analyze the cipher for a potential vector of attack or even to reduce the key search range.

Hey El, you never mentioned what you did for a living. IT Security guy? I've got some training on the security side of IT, but it's mostly networking and crypto for me.

I mostly do programming these days. It's what I like doing and pays the bills to boot.

I have done extensive security research and consulting too, but that's basically all I can say since some of the NDAs that I had to sign preclude me from even commenting what I did/do. Gotta love the corporate world. :lol
I like the field and try to keep up with it.

MiamiHeat interpreted what I meant:

Eh, nothing is totally untraceable. :D There's always the human aspect.

You want the latest and greatest in cryptography?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography

Have fun with that. :lmao

Not so fast... Schneier on Security: Quantum Cryptography Cracked (http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/12/quantum_cryptog_1.html)

ElNono
08-25-2010, 05:11 PM

This is also a matter of journalistic protection. This guy is merely the messenger. The real culprits are the ones that breached the TS trust and handed him the documents. Those are the guys the Pentagon should be after.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Sweden also has very strong laws that protect both journalists and whistleblowers.

They're also not the kind of country to shit on their own laws.

Stringer_Bell
08-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Insurance? I need to read up on this shit, sounds crazy awesome :p:

MiamiHeat
08-25-2010, 05:46 PM
This is also a matter of journalistic protection. This guy is merely the messenger. The real culprits are the ones that breached the TS trust and handed him the documents. Those are the guys the Pentagon should be after.

If the journalist was handed the blueprint that gave detailed explanations on how to build fully functional nuclear weapons like an ICBM via american technology, do you really think it's OK to hide behind journalistic integrity?

Even the Swedes would step in and confiscate his stuff. Do you agree?

so just because it's not as "severe" or "important" doesn't make it OK to hide behind idealism.

There are some things you just don't report. Sweden is on shaky ground here. They need to help the US to stop him.

Stringer_Bell
08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Alright, I looked into this whole "insurance" thingy and I'm calling bullshit. I thought it was a more wide-ranging file, like shit that could take down the State department or something that could have severe consequences. It's just just stuff about the Afghanistan War. *yawn*

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=ElNono;4595887]Not so fast... Schneier on Security: Quantum Cryptography Cracked (http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/12/quantum_cryptog_1.html)

Like I said, nothing is uncrackable. :) And Schneier is awesome. Love reading articles by that guy; thanks for the find.

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Alright, I looked into this whole "insurance" thingy and I'm calling bullshit. I thought it was a more wide-ranging file, like shit that could take down the State department or something that could have severe consequences. It's just just stuff about the Afghanistan War. *yawn*

Did you hack into the file? :D

LnGrrrR
08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
If the journalist was handed the blueprint that gave detailed explanations on how to build fully functional nuclear weapons like an ICBM via american technology, do you really think it's OK to hide behind journalistic integrity?

so just because it's not as "severe" or "important" doesn't make it OK to hide behind idealism.

There are some things you just don't report. Sweden is on shaky ground here. They need to help the US to stop him.

How did the Afghanistan leak harm soldiers in a direct way, though? I mean, releasing nuclear blueprints is an obvious detriment. The Afghan wikileaks mostly detailed failed military/government policies.

MiamiHeat
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
How did the Afghanistan leak harm soldiers in a direct way, though? I mean, releasing nuclear blueprints is an obvious detriment. The Afghan wikileaks mostly detailed failed military/government policies.

I'm taking the pentagon's word for it.

ElNono
08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

It has nothing to do with integrity. It has to do with protection of sources.
The guy didn't do anything wrong. His sources might, but you go into a very complicated slippery slope if you force to reveal his sources.
Here in the US, pretty much any law can be trumped by the invocation of National Security. Not so in Sweden. And I agree with their view on the matter, because once you open the door, where does it stop?
Do we treat to imprison every journalist that decides to publish something secret? Do the NY Times and Wash Post journalists that broke out the illegal NSA wiretaps need to threatened with jail time for not revealing their sources? Should they have not published?

I don't. What makes this release more notorious is the volume and the fact that it comes from a source that always has been regarded as very secure.

This has nothing to do with idealism. This has to do with very concrete information and actions related to that information.
I mean, if you want to question his integrity, at least admit that the guy delayed releasing almost 15,000 documents because they took their time to redact the relevant names from them to protect the innocent.

I don't agree with that at all. Once the information is out, and as long it's not copyrighted by any one entity, it's fair game.

Wild Cobra
08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Why is the wikileaks guy still alive, he ain't American, just do your CIA thing and be done with it already.
Why is Bob Lazar still alive?

Stringer_Bell
08-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Did you hack into the file? :D

No, but my experience as an agent provocateur leads me to believe that a file on that specific page, which is X times larger than all the files on that page...is only there to scare people. We know all we need to know about Afghanistan, who gives a fuck about State Dept. cables about THAT war or the Iraq War (which, honestly, would be the only things he's got to put out as far as I can tell)? Not me, and certainly not those with an interest in protecting the US or those wanting to bring the US down. Nobody gives a fuck at this point.

If he had anything worthy of being "insurance," he wouldn't tease it like that and it certainly wouldn't be in such a massive file unless it was a movie.

::flashfoward to the demise of Wikileaks and Mr. Assange::

WE FOUND OUT WHAT'S IN THE FILE!!!!

1LrPHozzy24

Winehole23
08-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Sweden also has very strong laws that protect both journalists and whistleblowers.

They're also not the kind of country to shit on their own blaws.Sweden blotted Assange's escutcheon (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escutcheon): now anyone can say he was indicted for sex crimes in Sweden, and is therefore a plausible sex fiend.

Winehole23
08-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Even though the charges against him were withdrawn with great swiftness, the stain will remain.

LnGrrrR
08-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm taking the pentagon's word for it.

Of course the Pentagon is going to say that; the documents damage their credibility. What REAL WORLD impact does it have on soldiers right now? I mean, did the docs release any classified locations, troop movements, mission plans, etc etc?

ElNono
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Sweden blotted Assange's escutcheon (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escutcheon): now anyone can say he was indicted for sex crimes in Sweden, and is therefore a plausible sex fiend.

I expect worse, TBH. If he's not going to get gunned down outright, then at least I expect the powers that be to try everything else in the book.

Drachen
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM

It would be great if it is just his recipe for brownies. Tell the US Govt about this insurance file, get the best encryption on the planet, let the US Govt sweat about what it is. Then when you die the whole world can delight in your carefully honed culinary discoveries.