PDA

View Full Version : tim duncan ranked #2 by yahoo sports in nba PFs

spectator
08-25-2010, 06:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-power-forwards-10-through-1;_ylt=AhNIgnUlAUrniJ6vExtHBXm8vLYF?urn=nba-265161

spectator
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
top 5:

gasol
duncan
stoudemire
dirk
bosh

spectator
08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
this means that according to yahoo sports, the spurs have 3 guys in top 10 at their position - duncan(2), ginobili(5), parker(9)

spectator
08-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Gasol, what a joke, even with TD being older he is still a better all around player. How Stoudemire is in the top 5 is stunning.

i would take k-love over amare when building a championship team. this guy is 21 and averages 18 pts/36 min, can play defense and rebound. why doesn't khan play him more? khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
time to face the facts that gasol has become a better player than duncan. duncan is reaching his twilight years and gasol is in the middle of his prime. but gasol over dirk was kind of perplexing. should be dirk > gasol > duncan.

himat
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Stoudemire over Dirk is the worst ranking ever. Stoudemire got spoon fed by Nash.

Did you know in the playoffs that almost 50% of Stoudemire's points came off an assist from Nash (that's not including free throws).

I'm not a fan of Stoudemire because he is so athletic, yet he is not as much of a force on defense or on the boards as he could be.

LoneStarState'sPride
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
what himat said

rayray2k8
08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Spurs fans have to admit that's pretty generous of yahoo sports to have Duncan at 2 considering his age.

Hooks
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
All 4 of those PF's besides Duncan have something in common, they all can't defend for shit.

timtonymanu
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm quite surprised that Duncan was put at number two. I would have thought yahoo would put Dirk over him.

And WTH? Stoudemire over Dirk?

I have to admit Gasol is number one. Timmy is the better overall player and has a better career, but Gasol is in his prime and Tim is past his.

The Squirrelyq
08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Stoudemire... Urgh, I will never understand why people like him.

1. Dirk
2. Gasol
3. Duncan
4. Bosh
5. Love/Boozer

I think Dirk is a bit better than Gasol, but it is pretty damn close. Neither of them are great a defense and Dirk is much better on offense so...

timtonymanu
08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
I think Stoudemire got a better placement than Dirk simply because his team made it farther in the playoffs last season.

It's gotta be the only way.

I need 5
08-25-2010, 08:04 PM
time to face the facts that gasol has become a better player than duncan. duncan is reaching his twilight years and gasol is in the middle of his prime. but gasol over dirk was kind of perplexing. should be dirk > gasol > duncan.

Gasol is not a better player than Duncan. He doesn't rebound, block shots, provide resistance or physicality like Duncan. He doesn't pass out of double teams better than Duncan. Gasol is still not the best player on his team. He isn't the batman of his team like Duncan is.

It will be clearer to evaluate when Duncan plays next to another 7 foot center like Gasol and Dirk have. That center doesn't have to be good either he just needs to take up space. Remember Duncan won beside Elson, Rasho and Nazi Muhammed.

DPG21920
08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
He doesn't rebound?

Blackjack
08-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Amar'e just discovered how much better a player you become by playing in New York.

I think it's the water.

Sigz
08-25-2010, 08:27 PM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__61/ept_sports_nba_experts-586587092-1282769301.jpg?ymVWxqDDmWocaNdG

LOL

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I would still take Dirk, Garnett, or Duncan over Gasol.

Sean Cagney
08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Stoudemire over Dirk is the worst ranking ever. Stoudemire got spoon fed by Nash.

Did you know in the playoffs that almost 50% of Stoudemire's points came off an assist from Nash (that's not including free throws).

I'm not a fan of Stoudemire because he is so athletic, yet he is not as much of a force on defense or on the boards as he could be.

Real talk, he will show this year without Nash he is overrated. His D is lackluster and he should average atleast 2 blocks and 10 boards a game minimum.

duhoh
08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
All 4 of those PF's besides Duncan have something in common, they all can't defend for shit.

gasol isn't that bad of a defender. actually he's pretty good, but he's easily trolled on the court, thus his "soft" reputation.

spectator
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
in my book, the main difference between gasol and timmy - at this point in their careers - is the fact that gasol can average more minutes per game during the regular season. last year, gasol averaged almost half pt/game, 1 reb/game and .3 blk/game more than duncan, while playing 6 MORE minutes(per game).

both are solid on defense - although gasol has the occasional slump. maybe kobe sends him dirty texts moaning about getting more touches, idk.

Em-City
08-25-2010, 11:11 PM
i don't get the stoudamire hate... the guy is a beast and i think he'll really come into his own at NY

DesignatedT
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
lmao at love. I'm fine with Gasol over Duncan now although I don't always feel that's the case. I think Gasol, Duncan and Dirk are all pretty even when it's all said and done. Obviously IMO they are all a clear step above Amare.

sa_kid20
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
What's the deal with Troy Murphy getting scored on in every pic? :lol

MmP
08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
man, how lucky did LA got...fuck

SouthTexasRancher
08-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Gasol, what a joke, even with TD being older he is still a better all around player. How Stoudemire is in the top 5 is stunning.

:tu

DrSteffo
08-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Stoudemire... Urgh, I will never understand why people like him.

1. Dirk
2. Gasol
3. Duncan
4. Bosh
5. Love/Boozer

I think Dirk is a bit better than Gasol, but it is pretty damn close. Neither of them are great a defense and Dirk is much better on offense so...

This list ok with me. To me it's a no-brainer that Dirk is number 1.Best O by far and he is a decent defender now. Putting Amare over Dirk is just silly. Amare could sneak into nbr 5 but is much overrated except among Suns fans who knows from experience that he has limited bb IQ and folds when it matters the most. (They have said this before he left them).

DJ Mbenga
08-26-2010, 12:51 AM
this makes no sense. duncan is a center.

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
this makes no sense. duncan is a center.

Exactly.

The placement of Timmy at power forward would've made more sense two seasons ago. But, he has been primarily a center for going on two seasons now. Unless someone really wants to argue that Matt Bonner and Antonio McDyess count as centers.

I don't think the arrival of Splitter changes that fact at all. Actually, I see Splitter playing the role of power forward when he's on the court with Duncan. Plus, Duncan doesn't have the mobility nor lateral quickness needed to guard 4s.

His placement at number two is correct, but he's at the wrong position. He's the second best center in the league with only an oft-injured Yao challenging him.

I still know that he's the best all-around player of his generation. Better than Duncan, better than Kobe, better than Shaq. In the era after Bird and before LeBron, nobody put it all together like K.G.

:lol:lol:lol

EPIC FAIL

I love Garnett and believe that people often times nitpick his game, while not realizing how great and versatile he has been. But, come on. There is no way that Garnett is a better all-around player than Duncan. You can possibly build a case for him against Kobe and Shaq, IMO.

JustinJDW
08-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I really don't think its fair to put Pau Gasol at #1 when he is the 2nd Option. His job is MUCH more easier to execute because he has Kobe freaking Bryant as his #1 Option.

Timmy, Amare, Dirk and Bosh are/were the leader and #1 Option on their team and they play just as well, if not better than Pau Gasol. So how the hell is this 2nd Option #1 on the list.

Its amazing how overrated players become by simply switching teams. If it was Bosh or Amare on the Lakers instead of Pau, they would be called the best PF in the game too.

Psh. :wakeup

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Timmy, Amare, Dirk and Bosh are/were the leader and #1 Option on their team and they play just as well, if not better than Pau Gasol. So how the hell is this 2nd Option #1 on the list.

bosh is a scrub man, his about even with pau when he leader of the memphis grizzlies...hence has the raptors ever broken the 50win season mark? i know pau grizzlies has and was beatened by the spurs that year who won the ring

DrSteffo
08-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Timmy, Amare, Dirk and Bosh are/were the leader and #1 Option on their team and they play just as well, if not better than Pau Gasol.

Amare never was the leader of the Suns and certainly needed Nash more than Gasol needs Kobe. Also Amare's poor D and other negatives would be apparent even if he played for the Fakers. Gasol is simply the better player of the two.

Russo21
08-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Don't worry about this list guys. We all know 03 Duncan wouldof slaughtered (and did slaughter) every other player on the face of the planet. Gasol is younger and in his prime and Timmy is in his twilight. Screw Yahoo's PF list. I'm more interested in this list...

http://www.thesportsjury.com/20100816113/NBA/10-greatest-nba-players-of-all-time

Kudo's to Timmy at no.5 all time! Gasol will never get near that.:toast

Mel_13
08-26-2010, 08:08 AM
48MOH has done a detailed comparison of TD and Pau in 2009-10. Worth reading:

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/08/26/is-pau-gasol-a-better-power-forward-than-tim-duncan/

alchemist
08-26-2010, 08:22 AM
in 2010 the PF spots should be

1. Dirk
2. Gasol
3. Tim

No shame in saying Tim isn't the best at his position anymore, the guy did the most with the least talent (not to say he had shitty squads) this decade.

sananspursfan21
08-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Spurs fans have to admit that's pretty generous of yahoo sports to have Duncan at 2 considering his age.

he is quote unquote washed up. but i'm wrackin my brain of a pf in the league who truly has a better offensive and defensive game. bosh is better offensively at this point, but for sure not defensively. pau isn't and never will be better. again, dirk +1 offense, no d. idk, i can't think of anybody

DBMethos
08-26-2010, 10:26 AM
in 2010 the PF spots should be

1. Dirk
2. Gasol
3. Tim

No shame in saying Tim isn't the best at his position anymore, the guy did the most with the least talent (not to say he had shitty squads) this decade.

That's my ranking too. :toast

Shifty
08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
What's the deal with Troy Murphy getting scored on in every pic? :lol

He had LeBron on all of the SF.

Man In Black
08-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I really don't think its fair to put Pau Gasol at #1 when he is the 2nd Option. His job is MUCH more easier to execute because he has Kobe freaking Bryant as his #1 Option.

Its amazing how overrated players become by simply switching teams. If it was Bosh or Amare on the Lakers instead of Pau, they would be called the best PF in the game too.

True...when Pau was in MEM, he did even more then than he does now, except now he is winning in the 2nd largest media market in the US.

Also, Dirk lovers. He has serious game but winning time requires a true inside presence and Dirk loves his outside J too, too much.

vander
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM

TD can't defend anymore either

by the end of next season, it will be obvious to all but the most dense homers that TD isn't even top 5 anymore

TD 21
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd go Duncan over Gasol by a hair, but the numbers are close enough across the board to suggest that there really isn't much separation at this point, despite the fact that people seem to think it's a no brainer that Gasol is better.

So long as he has enough left in the tank, there's no reason to think that Duncan couldn't play Gasol to a virtual standstill in a playoff series. I know it was a few years ago now, but in '08 he was beginning to decline and seemingly running on fumes by the time the Spurs got to the Lakers, yet still dominated Gasol. I'm not expecting him to dominate him in '11, but I also don't expect him to be thoroughly outplayed. It's not like there's a significant difference between Duncan of '08 and the current Duncan.

Duncan isn't Garnett. People have got so caught up in the fact that he's not what he once was that they're now underrating what he now is. There aren't three big men who provide a more all around impact than Duncan.

Speaking of all around impact, that brings me to Nowitzki. Mr. One dimensional himself. He has no business being placed ahead of Duncan or Gasol. He's neck and neck with Bosh for third. After those two, I'd put Stoudemire.

Lakers fans, you can't have it both ways. If Gasol is better than Duncan, then Wade is better than Bryant. The reasoning is the same in both cases: Gasol and Wade are in their athletic primes and are more consistent. Personally, I'd go Bryant over Wade by a hair, but statistically there's actually more separation between Wade and Bryant than there is Duncan and Gasol.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Gasol is better than Duncan now, it's pretty clear now. The list is solid except for Dirk getting disrespected

TD 21
08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
No, it's not clear, that's the misconception I was alluding to. There's nothing clear about it, other than the perception that it's clear. The reality is the numbers suggest they're relatively even and you could make a case for either.

I wouldn't argue with anyone putting Gasol ahead of Duncan, but the notion that it's clear is ridiculous. And like I said, if you're going to call it clear, then be consistent and fair and call Wade over Bryant clear, because the reasoning for Gasol and Wade being put ahead of Duncan and Bryant is similar and in actuality, there's a wider gap statistically between Wade and Bryant than there is Gasol and Duncan.

Nowitzki is far too one dimensional to be considered better than either.

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Gasol is better than Duncan right now. We all love Timmy but he's not the same player he once was. Just think how close it is though...Gasol in his prime against Duncan in his twilight. And Gasol barely wins. Its like alot of people saying Wade over Kobe right now, but think about Kobe has mega miles on him like Duncan...and Wade is just enetering his prime. Nobody can last forever. Kobe and Duncan have proved how great theya re and will go down as top 10 players ever. Gasol and Wade? Nope.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 06:59 PM
No, it's not clear, that's the misconception I was alluding to. There's nothing clear about it, other than the perception that it's clear. The reality is the numbers suggest they're relatively even and you could make a case for either.

I wouldn't argue with anyone putting Gasol ahead of Duncan, but the notion that it's clear is ridiculous. And like I said, if you're going to call it clear, then be consistent and fair and call Wade over Bryant clear, because the reasoning for Gasol and Wade being put ahead of Duncan and Bryant is similar and in actuality, there's a wider gap statistically between Wade and Bryant than there is Gasol and Duncan.

Nowitzki is far too one dimensional to be considered better than either.

Stop being a homer...Gasol is more durable than Duncan now too. He's added some toughness and d since getting embarrassed by the C's in '08. There is no weakness to his game. Duncan is the best PF to ever play, and in his prime he was untouchable, but that time is clearly over. He's still good, but he aint Gasol right now.

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Stop being a homer...Gasol is more durable than Duncan now too. He's added some toughness and d since getting embarrassed by the C's in '08. There is no weakness to his game. Duncan is the best PF to ever play, and in his prime he was untouchable, but that time is clearly over. He's still good, but he aint Gasol right now.

Are you ready to admit that Wade is better than Kobe for the same reasons?

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Are you ready to admit that Wade is better than Kobe for the same reasons?

When have I mentioned Wade and Kobe (other than this post)? are you making sweeping generalizations?

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:09 PM
When have I mentioned Wade and Kobe (other than this post)? are you making sweeping generalizations?

Just making friendly debate. Duncan is old. So is Kobe. You want to come on a Spurs board and get Spurs fans riled up about Gasol being better. I'm cool with that....doesnt bother me. But lets talk about the icon in L.A. too...Wade is better now. But I dont need to go to an L.A. forum to say so.

lotr1trekkie
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Moron's! Tim makes everyone around him better. Gasol is made better by those around him. Imagine Duncan with the Lakers next season and Pau with the Spurs. Who has improved their team??????????????????

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Moron's! Tim makes everyone around him better. Gasol is made better by those around him. Imagine Duncan with the Lakers next season and Pau with the Spurs. Who has improved their team??????????????????

Are you fucking stupid? The Spurs would easily be better. LA already has a broken down big man down low

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Are you fucking stupid? The Spurs would easily be better. LA already has a broken down big man down low

Softer? Yes. Better? No. Gasol has it made in the triangle. Here, in S.A., he would get crushed having to play defense.

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:16 PM
In L.A., Gasol gets to work with all defensive players like Kobe and Artest...and bigs like Odom and Bynum. If he played here in S.A. he would have to rely on Bonner and Jefferson. lol. Gasol would get eaten alive like he did in Memphis.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Just making friendly debate. Duncan is old. So is Kobe. You want to come on a Spurs board and get Spurs fans riled up about Gasol being better. I'm cool with that....doesnt bother me. But lets talk about the icon in L.A. too...Wade is better now. But I dont need to go to an L.A. forum to say so.

The article said that, I was just reinforcing it...and a Spurs fan started this thread, so you can quit the condescending tone anytime. This thread has nothing to do with Wade and Kobe, but i'll placate you if it makes you happy:
I have no problem with somebody preferring Wade over Kobe. Wade is a proven winner and has always been a class act (unlike some of his douchebag teammates). If you had to start a team today, I would take Wade over Kobe. If I were GM and had one year to win, I'd take Kobe right now. He's still the best killer in the game. Btw, Kobe avg'd more pts and rebs than Wade this year, so I don't see how he is clearly better than Kobe. Two straight Finals MVPs don't hurt his case either. But like I said, Wade is a stud and if people thinks he's better than I have no problem with it, just personal preference at this point.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
In L.A., Gasol gets to work with all defensive players like Kobe and Artest...and bigs like Odom and Bynum. If he played here in S.A. he would have to rely on Bonner and Jefferson. lol. Gasol would get eaten alive like he did in Memphis.

dude have you not watched Tim the past couple years? homeboy is too slow to cover the paint for you guys now. At least Gasol can still rotate over

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
The article said that, I was just reinforcing it...and a Spurs fan started this thread, so you can quit the condescending tone anytime. This thread has nothing to do with Wade and Kobe, but i'll placate you if it makes you happy:
I have no problem with somebody preferring Wade over Kobe. Wade is a proven winner and has always been a class act (unlike some of his douchebag teammates). If you had to start a team today, I would take Wade over Kobe. If I were GM and had one year to win, I'd take Kobe right now. He's still the best killer in the game. Btw, Kobe avg'd more pts and rebs than Wade this year, so I don't see how he is clearly better than Kobe. Two straight Finals MVPs don't hurt his case either. But like I said, Wade is a stud and if people thinks he's better than I have no problem with it, just personal preference at this point.

Once again...just making friendly dabate. I dont care who started the thread....you felt the need to come in as a Laker fan and make your claim that Gasol is better. Once again, I'm cool with that....but lets debate the icon in L.A. as well. If fans of other teams want to debate superstars on other forums, than its only fair we debate theirs as well, right?

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:34 PM
dude have you not watched Tim the past couple years? homeboy is too slow to cover the paint for you guys now. At least Gasol can still rotate over

Speed does not equate defense. Just ask the Phoenix Suns. Amare can rotate better than Duncan in the paint too. lol Sorry, try again.

TD 21
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM

If you look in depth at their numbers, you'll find out they're a lot closer than many claim. I'm not talking about the obvious, like ppg, rpg, bpg, etc., although they're close in those categories, too.

Like I said, I wouldn't argue with anyone saying Gasol was better and said I'd give Bryant the slight edge over Wade despite evidence to the contrary, so cut the cliche "you're a homer" nonsense. This isn't a case where it's inarguable. We're not talking about James here.

Gasol hasn't "added some toughness", you're obviously a novice fan who has to have the three Lakers fans who call the vast majority of the Lakers nationally televised games tell you what to believe.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Speed does not equate defense. Just ask the Phoenix Suns. Amare can rotate better than Duncan in the paint too. lol Sorry, try again.

well then what do you want...stats? Pau outrebounded and outblocked Duncan this past year...actually he bested him in every stat. sorry, try again

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Once again...just making friendly dabate. I dont care who started the thread....you felt the need to come in as a Laker fan and make your claim that Gasol is better. Once again, I'm cool with that....but lets debate the icon in L.A. as well. If fans of other teams want to debate superstars on other forums, than its only fair we debate theirs as well, right?

You just heard my view on Kobe-Wade, you think Wade is better..I have no problem with that, b/c there's actually some veracity to that claim (both ways actually). But to consider Duncan better than Pau (which I know YOU didn't) is asinine at this point.

BadMotorscooter
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
well then what do you want...stats? Pau outrebounded and outblocked Duncan this past year...actually he bested him in every stat. sorry, try again
In his prime, son. Do you not remember past posts? I already said Gasol was better than Duncan, but only because Duncan is getting old with alot of miles on the tire. Just like Kobe has. If you want to compare them in their prime...there is none. Gasol would be a joke. But right now, Gasol is better.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
If you look in depth at their numbers, you'll find out they're a lot closer than many claim. I'm not talking about the obvious, like ppg, rpg, bpg, etc., although they're close in those categories, too.

Like I said, I wouldn't argue with anyone saying Gasol was better and said I'd give Bryant the slight edge over Wade despite evidence to the contrary, so cut the cliche "you're a homer" nonsense. This isn't a case where it's inarguable. We're not talking about James here.

Gasol hasn't "added some toughness", you're obviously a novice fan who has to have the three Lakers fans who call the vast majority of the Lakers nationally televised games tell you what to believe.

you know what you're right....Gasol was a downright pussy going against Howard and the Celtics bigs in back-to-back finals...he was fucking soft as charmin. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 07:45 PM
In his prime, son. Do you not remember past posts? I already said Gasol was better than Duncan, but only because Duncan is getting old with alot of miles on the tire. Just like Kobe has. If you want to compare them in their prime...there is none. Gasol would be a joke. But right now, Gasol is better.

No arguments here...in his prime Duncan was untouchable

Obstructed_View
08-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Actually, I do want stats, but you have to know what the hell you're seeing. Gasol had bigger numbers due to playing more minutes per game. When you look at the actual production, the only stats where Gasol "bested" Duncan were field goal percentage, free throws and offensive rebounds. Plus old broken-down Duncan still played 12 more games than Pau did. Checkmate.

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Pau averaged more statistically because he logged 6 more minutes on a per game basis. So, obviously he'd put up more per game. Duncan put up more in total points, rebounds, assists and blocks.

Yet, Duncan put up 18/10/3/1.5 on 31 minutes per game and had the 5th best PER (24.7) in the NBA. Gasol gave L.A. 18/11/3/1.7 on 36 minutes per game and had a PER of 22.1.

Gasol isn't more durable than Duncan. Gasol actually played less games than Duncan last season. Gasol does have advantage of being able to play more minutes because of his younger age.

All of this is moot anyway because doesn't even play the power forward position anymore.

(Great minds think alike, Obstructed.)

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Actually, I do want stats, but you have to know what the hell you're seeing. Gasol had bigger numbers due to playing more minutes per game. When you look at the actual production, the only stats where Gasol "bested" Duncan were field goal percentage, free throws and offensive rebounds. Plus old broken-down Duncan still played 12 more games than Pau did. Checkmate.

and why did Pau play more minutes? BECAUSE HE CAN...HE'S YOUNG AND DURABLE ENOUGH TO BE THERE FOR HIS TEAM 40+ MINUTES, WHILE DUNCAN NO LONGER CAN. Thanks for making my point, hard to be more valuable when you're not on the floor. Duncan used to be able to do that, but old age and injuries have slowed him down. Check yourself first homes:nope

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
and why did Pau play more minutes? BECAUSE HE CAN...HE'S YOUNG AND DURABLE ENOUGH TO BE THERE FOR HIS TEAM 40+ MINUTES, WHILE DUNCAN NO LONGER CAN. Thanks for making my point, hard to be more valuable when you're not on the floor. Duncan used to be able to do that, but old age and injuries have slowed him down. Check yourself first homes:nope

Gasol has never average 40+ minutes per game throughout a NBA season. His career high is 39.2 in '05-'06 with Memphis, while Duncan has bested that three times. Everyone realizes that Gasol is the younger and fresher legged player, but that doesn't automatically make him the better player. Especially, when Duncan can play less minutes and still equal his impact.

I like Gasol and believe he's the best power forward in the game, especially since Duncan is a center, but he's becoming overrated because he happens to play in L.A. He's virtually the same guy that he was in Memphis, but with more desire and tougher skin.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Gasol has never average 40+ minutes per game throughout a NBA season. His career high is 39.2 in '05-'06 with Memphis, while Duncan has bested that three times. Everyone realizes that Gasol is the younger and fresher legged player, but that doesn't automatically make him the better player. Especially, when Duncan can play less minutes and still equal his impact.

No, the fact that he's a decent defender and the best offensive big man in the game make him a better player...then add youth on to that and it's a no-brainer at this point. We're not Comparing 2003 Duncan people, this is 2010 Tim Duncan. Still good, but not as good as Gasol.

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
No, the fact that he's a decent defender and the best offensive big man in the game make him a better player...then add youth on to that and it's a no-brainer at this point. We're not Comparing 2003 Duncan people, this is 2010 Tim Duncan. Still good, but not as good as Gasol.

Please, Gasol isn't the best offensive big man since he can't even average 20 points per game in a season. He has the best arsenal of moves, even though that is debatable too, but isn't the best scorer. That title belongs to either Stoudemire or Bosh.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. People believing the hype that ESPN and TNT have created around Gasol. Gasol is very good and Tim Duncan still is too.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Please, Gasol isn't the best offensive big man since he can't even average 20 points per game in a season. He has the best arsenal of moves, even though that is debatable too, but isn't the best scorer. That title belongs to either Stoudemire or Bosh.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. People believing the hype that ESPN and TNT have created around Gasol. Gasol is very good and Tim Duncan still is too.

and no, I don't believe in ESPN...I believe in the endgame, and that's been all roses the last 2 years thanks in large part to him

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 08:30 PM
and no, I don't believe in ESPN...I believe in the endgame, and that's been all roses the last 2 years thanks in large part to him

Yeah, plus the cast of players that surround him. Gasol deserves plenty of credit and played tremendous ball during the Finals. Let's not pretend that he's better than he really is.

His tremendous arsenal has never enabled him to score more than 20 a night. Guys with lesser offensive repertoires have put up 20 or more easily. So, that means that he isn't the best offensively until he can reach that goal. It probably ain't happening on the Lakers, though.

Obstructed_View
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM

lulz. See where Gasol played in 12 fewer games this season. Duncan's floor time is limited by his coach, not by his frail body. Meanwhile Gasol's the one missing large numbers of games over his career, not Duncan. When Gasol has this big advantage in minutes per game yet still plays fewer total minutes over the course of the season than Duncan, something that happened this season, your argument about Duncan not being able to do it suddenly stops making sense.

To quote you: Hard to be more valuable when you're not on the floor. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, plus the cast of players that surround him. Gasol deserves plenty of credit and played tremendous ball during the Finals. Let's not pretend that he's better than he really is.

His tremendous arsenal has never enabled him to score more than 20 a night. Guys with lesser offensive repertoires have put up 20 or more easily. So, that means that he isn't the best offensively until he can reach that goat. It probably ain't happening on the Lakers, though.

Whatever you say boss...if you had your pick of PF's to take who would it be?

I'll take Pau, dude has it all and he's proven it.

DeadlyDynasty
08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
lulz. See where Gasol played in 12 fewer games this season. Duncan's floor time is limited by his coach, not by his frail body. Meanwhile Gasol's the one missing large numbers of games over his career, not Duncan. When Gasol has this big advantage in minutes per game yet still plays fewer total minutes over the course of the season than Duncan, something that happened this season, your argument about Duncan not being able to do it suddenly stops making sense.

To quote you: Hard to be more valuable when you're not on the floor. :lol

I love you guys, if you saw this argument from a fresh perspective you'd understand. I get it, you love Duncan, he's brought you all you're hardware so you go to all lengths to defend him. It's time to let go. He will go down as the best PF to ever play and a 4-time champion, which should be more than you ever could of dreamed of 12 years ago. But let it go, he's no longer the best right now. You guys are like conflicted adults who can't decide whether to keep your parents around or put them in a home. Duncan's been great for you all, he raised you well...but it's time to start looking at those pamphlets from Shady Acres a little more seriously now...

$0.02

TD 21
08-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I love you guys, if you saw this argument from a fresh perspective you'd understand. I get it, you love Duncan, he's brought you all you're hardware so you go to all lengths to defend him. It's time to let go. He will go down as the best PF to ever play and a 4-time champion, which should be more than you ever could of dreamed of 12 years ago. But let it go, he's no longer the best right now. You guys are like conflicted adults who can't decide whether to keep your parents around or put them in a home. Duncan's been great for you all, he raised you well...but it's time to start looking at those pamphlets from Shady Acres a little more seriously now...

$0.02

No, you don't get it. This has nothing to do with nostalgia or anything of that sort, this is all about right now and right now these two players are very comparable. You're making Gasol out to be James.

Every time a Spurs fan doesn't call Duncan essentially an old, washed up bum, they instantly get labeled as being biased or nostalgic, etc. It's ridiculous.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/08/26/is-pau-gasol-a-better-power-forward-than-tim-duncan/#more-9428

Focus on the numbers.

J_Paco
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Whatever you say boss...if you had your pick of PF's to take who would it be?

I'll take Pau, dude has it all and he's proven it.

I don't know, because they're all flawed even Gasol. He has the advantage of being a proven winner over Dirk, Amar'e, Carlos and Chris. Yet, even he failed as the main piece during his run in Memphis.

It would really come down to what type of team I had surrounding that power forward. None of those guys have proven to be true championship-caliber #1 options, IMO.

If someone held a pistol to my head and told me to make a choice, then I'd go with Gasol.

Nathan89
08-26-2010, 09:15 PM
My mind was scrambled by this question. Who is better Duncan or Gasol? At first part me said that Gasol was better and the other part of me said that the spurs would not be better with Gasol. Both parts seem to conflict but the truth is Duncan is better than Gasol for the spurs. While all of the stats are very similar for the two players, I think Duncan is still the better defender,leader and clutch player. The difference is the lakers have better perimeter defenders so Gasol isn't as exposed. The Spurs also need Duncan for leadership and clutch plays at the end of the game. The Lakers do not need Gasol for leadership or clutchness because they have Kobe. So I think it is undeniable that Duncan is the best pf for the spurs. The question is Gasol better than Duncan for the Lakers. So defense,leadership and cluthness seperates the two power-forwards.