PDA

View Full Version : South side retail growth booms.

TheWriter
05-19-2005, 05:55 AM
For most of the 1990's. the intersection of Military Dr. at Goliad Ave. consisted manly of a HEB, Kmart, Pawn Shop, Diamond Shamrock, and Burger King.

Then Kmart closed up shop. HEB closed it's doors but built a new bigger HEB across the street where it's stands today.

A Hollywood Video popped up in front of the HEB soon after.

Then last year, Target opened a store along with a shopping center that has a Game Stop, Panda Express, Pay-less Shoes, and something else. Also a Whataburger opened around the same time right across from this shopping center.

Now a HUGE growth of retail is hitting the intersection of Military Dr. and Goliad Ave.

http://xs29.xs.to/pics/05204/miltarydrcitybase.PNG

http://xs29.xs.to/pics/05204/miltarydrcitybase2.PNG

You can see the HEB and Target already in place.

Three new shopping centers are being built.

City Base Landing, Mission Crossing, Military Plaza.

The biggest one being right across Military Dr. from HEB.

City Base Landing.

Which will have such big box tenants as Best Buy, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Sams, and a movie theater.

Also to be built for City Base Landing: Starbucks, Chili's, Chik'fil'A, Marble Slab, Blockbuster, Buffalo Wild Wings, Quiznos, EZ's Brick Oven, Chuckie Cheeses, and much more.

Military Plaza, to be built west of HEB and Target, will be home to a Home Depot, ROSS, Johnny Carino's, Petco, Dollar Tree, and more.

Mission's Crossing which is already built out, will feature a Gold's Gym, Anna's Linens, Cherry Chinese buffet, Goodwill store, Big Lots!, and Walgreens.

All of the construction should be finished by late July.

johnny00
05-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I live about three miles from the proposed city based landing.
It will be great not to travel twenty something miles to go to a Best Buy.
But do we really need another Walmart?

KEDA
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Military Plaza, to be built west of HEB and Target, will be home to a HOME DEPOT, ROSS, Johnny Carino's, Petco, Dollar Tree, and more.

Actually its an Office Depot

BTW did you take those pics, they sure look good!

AlamoSpursFan
05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I agree with the need for a Best Buy on the SE side. Now I can spend more there because it will take me less gas to get there!

bigzak25
05-19-2005, 09:15 AM
nice to see the southside getting nsnyc with the rest of the city. :smokin

spurs_2108
05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Thats pretty cool. I only live like 10 minutes away. Best Buy rocks.

jalbre6
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
^5 :lol

Smackie Chan
05-19-2005, 01:54 PM

^RACK^

Buddy's back for more? he must be into S&M :lmao

violentkitten
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
i nominate this for worthless thread of the day

mouse
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
All that growth just means you need to carry 2 knives now , when you leave the house :lmao

bigzak25
05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
i'd like to say that best buy fucking sucks.

the sales people there act like they are doing you a favor.

circuit city is much better for service and warranty.

Jekka
05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
I live about three miles from the proposed city based landing.
It will be great not to travel twenty something miles to go to a Best Buy.
But do we really need another Walmart?

You never need another Wal-Mart. They're probably building that one there so they can abandon one of the older nearby Wal-Mart buildings that will go unused and fall apart because no one else will take over the property. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Vashner
05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I worked at brooks for 5 years. WTF the Wal Mart is on top of my old building :(

648, 6571 and 70th Comm Squadron...

Charles Lindburg learned to fly in building 613 which is under the wal mart proposal site too lol.

pooh
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Notice they kept it away from the infamous "strip" up the road. But it's cool. Least we'll have some of the things that the other parts of town already have. I'm surprised there wasn't mention of a Barnes and Noble along with the Starbucks.

The ROSS stores over here are basically thrift stores. I've heard they're considering moving the SAMS that is over towards Kelly AFB to the new location on Brooks. I sure hope not.

TheWriter
05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Military Plaza, to be built west of HEB and Target, will be home to a HOME DEPOT, ROSS, Johnny Carino's, Petco, Dollar Tree, and more.

Actually its an Office Depot

BTW did you take those pics, they sure look good!

No, the Home Depot is being built for Miltary Plaza.

Office Depot is being built on City Base Landing.

Look at the pictures.

AlamoSpursFan
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
i'd like to say that best buy fucking sucks.

the sales people there act like they are doing you a favor.

circuit city is much better for service and warranty.

If you need help from a salesperson at an electronics store, you are a girlie man.

:lol

Smackie Chan
05-19-2005, 05:07 PM
No, Look at the pictures.

Keda just got SERVED :lmao

bigzak25
05-19-2005, 05:09 PM
cut me some slack jack, video cameras were in locked cabinets.

AlamoSpursFan
05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
That's why they call it "smash and grab"...

Gatita
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM

Gimme a break! It is not "nysnc" with the city because business won't go there. They are a bunch of thugs after all. I don't see anything wrong with the Southside of SA.

Mijo
05-19-2005, 07:43 PM
It's my hood although I'm leaving in a month for the ever developing northwest. But I am glad it's finally getting some love from commercial developers. There is some residential development as well. Pulte and Obra are building units off 410 and Presa.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 08:01 PM
It's my hood

Can't beat las tortas ni los tacos. :)

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Gimme a break! It is not "nysnc" with the city because business won't go there. They are a bunch of thugs after all. I don't see anything wrong with the Southside of SA.

I'm pretty sure the "nsync" remark was actually a subtle little swipe at TheWriter for his recent transgressions....a pretty damn funny one, too. :lol

atlfan25
12-22-2007, 11:08 AM
are there any renderings?

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Renderings for what?

atlfan25
12-22-2007, 11:29 AM
the city based landing

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, there's no renderings because it opened two years ago.

Here are two aerials detailing what's been built and what's proposed.

City-Base Landing (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Starbucks, Chili's), Brooks Corner (Home Depot, Ross, Kirland, Petco), Mission Crossing (Gold's Gym, Big Lots). FYI, the HEB that is labeled is actually Target, HEB is the building directly to the right of the Target building. The second aerial shows the correct listings.

Also, Brooks Corner was built on what used to be a trailer park.

City-Base West is a 450,000 square foot development being built by the same developers that built City-Base Landing.

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07516/sedevelopment.PNG

Here you can see the same retail centers as above but also the nearly 500,000 sq ft City Base at Goliad planned for Goliad Road just south of Military Drive. To include a Lowe's, JCPenney, Circuit City, movie theater and more.

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07495/citybasegoliad-.PNG

http://xs122.xs.to/xs122/07495/citybasegoliad2.PNG

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 12:19 PM
It's safe to say that two years later, the southeast side is still booming, more so actually.

atlfan25
12-22-2007, 12:40 PM
fantastic information!! thank you good sir!!

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I almost forgot to mention the 450,000 sq. ft. McCreless Market (formerly McCreless Mall). To include a HEB Plus!, Marshalls, Shoe Carnival and more. Also, a new first run movie theater which replaces the old dollar movie theater.

http://xs122.xs.to/xs122/07516/mccrelessmarket.PNG

http://xs122.xs.to/xs122/07516/mccrelessmarket2.PNG

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Also, the currently under construction extension of New Braunfels Ave. from Military Drive to 410 is going to be major catalyst for the growth and development of Brooks City-Base.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2382/brookscity2ge2.png

CubanMustGo
12-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Geez 25 years after I left they finally develop that area. It's about gotdamned time. My mom and older brother do appreciate not having to drive over to the friggin' north side all the time.

Ah, the good ol' days -- working at Bldg 125 at Brooks and trying to figure out where the hell to get lunch close by. The number of choices was underwhelming but Bill Millers #1 was still around (I think).

curtismedellin
12-22-2007, 05:17 PM
It's great to see the southside get a piece of the pie!!!

Thanks Toyota and suppliers!

ZStomp
12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, there's no renderings because it opened two years ago.

Here are two aerials detailing what's been built and what's proposed.

City-Base Landing (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Starbucks, Chili's), Brooks Corner (Home Depot, Ross, Kirland, Petco), Mission Crossing (Gold's Gym, Big Lots). FYI, the HEB that is labeled is actually Target, HEB is the building directly to the right of the Target building. The second aerial shows the correct listings.

Also, Brooks Corner was built on what used to be a trailer park.

City-Base West is a 450,000 square foot development being built by the same developers that built City-Base Landing.

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07516/sedevelopment.PNG

Here you can see the same retail centers as above but also the nearly 500,000 sq ft City Base at Goliad planned for Goliad Road just south of Military Drive. To include a Lowe's, JCPenney, Circuit City, movie theater and more.

Sweet info! I moved into the area this month and this is exciting news.

Indian Hills trailer park is located at 3500 Goliad (between Goliad and 37), is that going to be replaced? Did I understand it correctly?

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 07:43 PM
No, the City Base at Goliad development will end at Indian Hills, though I would not be surprised if Indian Hills is eventually bought and built on. Major interest in developing that land but the owner is either not reluctant to sale or he has a too high of a price for the land for developers.

Also, the undeveloped land you see in the first City Base at Goliad site plan between Burger King and hotel and the Lowe's is currently going through site preparations for a small retail center.

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 07:48 PM
In other southeast side development news, there's a 200,000 square foot retail center going up at the southwest corner of Military Drive and South Presa.

ZStomp
12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
No, the City Base at Goliad development will end at Indian Hills, though I would not be surprised if Indian Hills is eventually bought and built on. Major interest in developing that land but the owner is either not reluctant to sale or he has a too high of a price for the land for developers.

Also, the undeveloped land you see in the first City Base at Goliad site plan between Burger King and hotel and the Lowe's is currently going through site preparations for a small retail center.

So where is this going to be at?

It looks where like it's suppose to be where the trailer park is.

Buddy Holly
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Because in this map, it's suppose to be where the trailer park is.

I usually use the street behind WalMart to get to that area (avoid the Goliad/Miliatary intersection) and the end of the trailer park is close to the intersection of Goliad and City Base Landing.

http://xs322.xs.to/xs322/07510/lowessite.PNG

The land that will be used is primarily undeveloped, except for the Lowe's site which is currently leased to a trucking company. Once that lease ends construction on the development will begin. I believe their lease ends sometime in early or mid 2008.

The mustard olive colored outline is the site that I mentioned before that will have a small retail center on it. Site work has already begun.

CubanMustGo
12-22-2007, 09:58 PM
From the map it looks like it is further north on Goliad than that. Note the onramps onto I37. Maybe it's next to the Lowes' ?

About the only bad thing about this development was that the San Antonio Sports Car Association used to use the old Brooks runways for their monthly autocrosses. I won a couple of class championships back in the 90's. Good times.

ZStomp
12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
That's awesome.

T Park
12-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Id prefer a costco as opposed to Sam's Club, but that all looks great.

The Lowes will be a big help.

mikeanthony21
12-26-2007, 06:19 AM

It looks where like it's suppose to be where the trailer park is.

Just curious about the 14 screen cinema... if that isn't Cinemark, Regal, or Santikos... who's is it? Also, I got word that the Cinemark theatre being built at McCreless Market is NOT a first run complex... it will be a "dollar theatre" but built with all the anemities of a first run theatre. (Stadium seating, digital sound and projection, etc.)

Buddy Holly
12-26-2007, 04:38 PM
No, the McCreless Market theater will be a 10 screen theater, with a majority of those theaters being first run, 2 or 3 theaters will be dedicated to second run movies so that the theater can still offer people dollar movies.

Buddy Holly
12-26-2007, 04:41 PM
To everyone, let me clarify something. The Lowe's is not connected with the development to the right of it (JC Penney, Circuit City) instead the Lowe's is part of the small retail center to the left of it that is already under construction. The larger center with the JC Penney and movie theater is either another developers project or is the extension of City-Base Landing (Wal-Mart, Best Buy). I'm not too sure on the detail yet.

mikeanthony21
12-26-2007, 08:45 PM
No, the McCreless Market theater will be a 10 screen theater, with a majority of those theaters being first run, 2 or 3 theaters will be dedicated to second run movies so that the theater can still offer people dollar movies.

I can't believe that the film distributors would actually go for this kind of booking scheme. FOR YEARS, I told those dolts in Cinemark-Dallas that the southeast side had the demographics for a first run theatre.. not a dollar theatre.

mikeanthony21
12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
To everyone, let me clarify something. The Lowe's is not connected with the development to the right of it (JC Penney, Circuit City) instead the Lowe's is part of the small retail center to the left of it that is already under construction. The larger center with the JC Penney and movie theater is either another developers project or is the extension of City-Base Landing (Wal-Mart, Best Buy). I'm not too sure on the detail yet.

Just wondering... if that's a JCPenney that's being planned... what happens to the one at SouthPark?

Bigzax
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
great aerial pics slomo!

CubanMustGo
12-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Just wondering... if that's a JCPenney that's being planned... what happens to the one at SouthPark?

Southpark and Goliad/I-37 really aren't all that close. The new JCP will serve a whole lotta ppl who don't have a JCP anywhere near them (eg those in the new residential developments just E and S of the area among others).

There was a McCreless JCP that co-existed w/the one at southpark for decades. True, it was a dump.

CubanMustGo
12-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Southpark and Goliad/I-37 really aren't all that close. The new JCP will serve a whole lotta ppl who don't have a JCP anywhere near them (eg those in the new residential developments just E and S of the area among others).

There was a McCreless JCP that co-existed w/the one at southpark for decades.

Buddy Holly
12-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Nothing. South Park Mall is 7 miles west of City-Base.

T Park
12-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Damn, I need to get some investors together and get a Barnes and Noble in that shiznit since it doesn't look like Circuit City will be building there.

T Park
12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
BTW,

any word on whats going in the City Base west area?

Would love to know.

Buddy Holly
12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Damn, I need to get some investors together and get a Barnes and Noble in that shiznit since it doesn't look like Circuit City will be building there.

Won't be building where?

Buddy Holly
12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
BTW,

any word on whats going in the City Base west area?

Would love to know.

Pre-leasing.

T Park
12-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Won't be building where?

Next to the Cinema and JC Penny.

Circuit City is in hadcore financial problems and are SHUTTING stores down, not opening them.

I would assume quite a bit that the plan for CC to occupy that space is out the door.

Pre-leasing

Any word on any tenants yet?

CubanMustGo
12-28-2007, 08:28 AM
That may be true but CC just (within two weeks) opened a brand new store in new construction in McKinney.

Then again the demographics in McKinney are just a little different than those on the Southside. :lol