PDA

View Full Version : ..............And 20 years ago today.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
The guitar went silent........

This is my favorite tune from him. Always gives me chills. Luckily this take saw the light of day and was captured in its entirety.

ljVVFKjN0Dc

lebomb
08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Stevie Ray is one of my favorite artists of all time. He could actually KILL a guitar..........the day I heard he died. I actually shed a few tears........ :depressed

I knew we would never hear that sound again............other than old replayed music.

We lost a great one 20yrs ago. :toast

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Stevie Ray is one of my favorite artists of all time. He could actually KILL a guitar..........the day I heard he died. I actually shed a few tears........ :depressed

I knew we would never hear that sound again............other than old replayed music.

We lost a great one 20yrs ago. :toast

You should check out live at el mocombo if you haven't.

lebomb
08-27-2010, 01:18 PM

I will be sure to do that.

I bit off this thread, and started another to give tribute to artists that died way too young.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I will be sure to do that.

He is undoubtedly possessed in that show.

JudynTX
08-27-2010, 01:30 PM

:tu We have that show.

My favorite -

tWLw7nozO_U

Bender
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
We have that show.
I have the El Mocambo show too. Might be on VHS or laserdisc, though :(

cornbread
08-27-2010, 03:23 PM
El Mocombo is what solidified my opinion that SRV is the greatest guitarist of all time. It's one of the most powerful musical performances I've ever seen.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
El Mocombo is what solidified my opinion that SRV is the greatest guitarist of all time. It's one of the most powerful musical performances I've ever seen.

It really is. Same thing happened to me. My buddy brought this over and I was floored. This guy was more than just blues. I think voodoo chile is the tune on there that gave me a musical boner. Stevie played jimi better than jimi did. I stand behind that statement til the day I die. Too bad he didn't get his session career going earlier. He did leave us with one good guess session that was pretty much one that millions of people have heard and don't know it's him.

cornbread
08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
I think voodoo chile is the tune on there that gave me a musical boner. Stevie played jimi better than jimi did. I stand behind that statement til the day I die.

For me it was the Texas Flood performance. So much soul and balls behind every note he plays and sings.

And I agree with your second statement. A lot people will scream blasphemy but I always thought SRV took Jimi's songs to another level—and he did it with a lot of respect for Jimi's original versions.

mrsmaalox
08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
I love SRV, his birthday was Oct. 3 like mine.

I read Clapton's autobiography a couple of months ago and he recalled that night and what an amazing thing it was playing with him (I think there was Buddy Guy and Robert Cray also, so yea--amazing). Anyway, the show organizers had all these choppers ready to go, but SRV's band took off without him cuz he stayed behind to play with the other guys. Then when Clapton's crew was ready to go, his management team messed up and got on the wrong chopper, leaving one empty seat and SRV with nowhere else to sit, took it. Everyone was freaked out by the weather but they all took off anyway and landed one by one and took off for their hotel and right to sleep. It wasn't until the next morning that they realized one of the choppers didn't make it :(

RIP SRV

benefactor
08-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Of all that the artists that were lost too soon...he is arguably the most important. There will never be another.

RIP

Viva Las Espuelas
08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Of all that the artists that were lost too soon...he is arguably the most important. There will never be another.

RIP

Can't agree with you more but I'd have to add Bonzo to that.

mrsmaalox
08-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I suppose this could go in the "Ashamed" thread, but a few years ago I ran into Jimmie Vaughan walking out of a bank in Austin and I waved real big and hollered "Hi Stevie!". He just laughed and said hi. :)

Mark in Austin
08-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Stevie played jimi better than jimi did. I stand behind that statement til the day I die.

I'll agree with a slight modification - Stevie played Voodoo Chile better than Jimi did. SRV's remake of Voodoo Chile is a masterpiece.

Not sure if Quentin Tarantino came up with the idea of being an Elvis man or a Beatles man in Pulp Fiction or if he took it from someplace else, (the idea is you can like them both, but you have to make a choice as to which one you like more; and that choice is insightful into the type of person you are) but for me there's a third answer to that question - and that's being an SRV man. That's definitely me.

RIP Stevie Vaughn.

RoddyBukkake
08-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Oak Cliff representin