PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal is rested, but hardly ready

ducks
05-19-2005, 10:11 AM
O'Neal is rested, but hardly ready

By STEPHEN F. HOLDER, [email protected]

Spending the past week on the sideline has not resulted in significant improvement for Shaquille O'Neal's thigh contusion.

The injured Heat center, speaking Wednesday at a Heat community relations event, told The Herald he remains unsure whether he can play when the Eastern Conference finals open next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

O'Neal added that, had the series started Wednesday, he would not have been able to play. He was noncommittal about his status for Game 1, which could be played as early as Monday.

"Hopefully," O'Neal said when asked about being ready for the start of the series, but he went on to make it clear he could not say for certain.

O'Neal indicated that there has been little progress with the injury, a fact that prompted his visit Tuesday to the Miami Dolphins' training facility, where he attempted to learn more about the injury and how to treat it more effectively.

"It was the same thing," O'Neal said. "I was getting information, talking to people. They were showing me what to do to strengthen that area. This is a common football injury."

BEGS TO DIFFER

Heat coach Stan Van Gundy indicated last week the injury had worsened, but O'Neal said it had not. However, O'Neal concedes it does not appear to be getting better.

"It's not that it got worse," O'Neal said. "It's just that it's there, and I need it not to be there.

" . . . I'm trying to get myself as close to 100 percent as possible."

O'Neal hasn't been anywhere near 100 percent since sustaining the injury April 17. It occurred when Indiana forward Jermaine O'Neal's knee collided in midair with Shaquille's right leg, leaving a deep bruise in the middle thigh area.

O'Neal has undergone a series of treatments since, including electric stimulation and old-fashioned massage therapy. But because rest is the only true remedy, O'Neal's injury has been slow to heal.

PLAYING IN PAIN

O'Neal has gotten only sporadic rest since the injury. He sat out Miami's final two games of the regular season but played in the Heat's first six playoff games, against New Jersey and Washington. O'Neal skipped Games 3 and 4 of the conference semifinal series against Washington, allowing second-year guard Dwyane Wade to bear the burden of carrying the team. Wade scored 31 and 42 points, respectively, in the games O'Neal missed.

Watching the Heat sweep the Wizards without him was gratifying for O'Neal. Sitting out was not something he enjoyed, however.

"It ate at me a lot, but I'm super proud of the guys," O'Neal said. "They're doing fabulous. Guys are picking it up and playing well. There ain't nothing I can say. Guys are just playing great."

The emotional toll of this slow-healing injury has been evident to those around O'Neal, too. He generally has avoided the media the past couple weeks and is said to be having a difficult time coping with his ineffectiveness.

"This [the playoffs] is his time of the year," Van Gundy said. "He's used to being at his best, and that's very, very frustrating. I absolutely feel for him. And the thing you notice is that he's quieter because he doesn't feel like he's part of it."

EMPATHY FROM ZO

Said Alonzo Mourning, who has started in O'Neal's absence: "The man wants to be a part of this team and he wants to do what he was brought here for: win a championship.

"It's just like putting shackles on a racehorse. A racehorse is meant to run. That's how he feels. This is probably the most discouraging thing for him because this is the time of the year, traditionally, when he has been able to have a huge impact on this game."

picnroll
05-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I read somehwere that his hematoma had calcified, technical term myositis ossificans. If that's the case it's not a short term resolution.

Rummpd
05-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I am a doctor and former physical therapy assistant and I am having trouble interpreting this injury by what has been revealed.

More and more this sounds like something beyond a contusion, however deep.

We are talking a month s/p the time of injury.