PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Thomas Gardner.

mountainballer
08-30-2010, 04:02 AM
http://twitter.com/alexkennedynba
After playing professionally in Belgium, Thomas Gardner is trying to land on an NBA roster. The Spurs and Warriors have expressed interest.
Gardner will work out for the Spurs tomorrow morning. Prior to playing in Belgium, he had stints with the Bulls, Hawks, and Grizzlies.

for whatever this is worth and of course Spurs permanently invite players for work outs. (likely to find some camp fodder). on the other hand..... Gardener? pretty much a poor man's Roger Mason. I would think Gary Neal and James Anderson more than adequate fill that role.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thomas-Gardner-559/

eisfeld
08-30-2010, 05:19 AM
With the Spurs guard rotation already full it wouldn't suprise me if this is a false rumor. Would suprise me if they are really interested in him.

Bruno
08-30-2010, 07:06 AM
A team can have up to 20 players under contract during the training camp.

If Spurs go with a 18 or 20 players roster, some of these players will be redundant with others and will have virtually no chance of making the roster.

I damn hope Spurs will have some interesting SF in training camp to give an alternative if Gee sucks.

ChuckD
08-30-2010, 07:08 AM
for whatever this is worth and of course Spurs permanently invite players for work outs. (likely to find some camp fodder). on the other hand..... Gardener? pretty much a poor man's Roger Mason. I would think Gary Neal and James Anderson more than adequate fill that role.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thomas-Gardner-559/

This. You never go into camp with just 14-15 guys. You want your vets to get rest, you have to allow for injuries, and the 5 on 5s must continue.

Obstructed_View
08-30-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd sure like to hear a rumor that the Spurs have some interest in someone that's taller than 6'6" or someone that specializes in something other than outside shooting. I suppose it's folly to go so far as to hope for both.

Obstructed_View
08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Those kinds of players are in short supply. The only realistic option I see the Spurs going after involve trades, maybe for Shane Battier or someone like that.

Were they in equally short supply prior to the draft, or did the Spurs think they were going to have their pick of small forward prospects after picking Anderson?

SenorSpur
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd sure like to hear a rumor that the Spurs have some interest in someone that's taller than 6'6" or someone that specializes in something other than outside shooting. I suppose it's folly to go so far as to hope for both.

:tu :tu

Mel_13
08-30-2010, 11:51 AM

See, all you had to do was ask nicely:

Jawad Williams is in town now. Might be working out as we tweet. Will be hard for #spurs to make offer Cavs won't match, however

http://twitter.com/jmcdonald_saen

8FOR!3
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Thomas Gardner not only sucks, but we don't need him, he's a poor man's version of James Anderson and Gary Neal. On the other hand, Jawad Williams is an interesting prospect, he's a small forward correct? I don't know how he is as a defender, an athlete, and a shooter. It'd be good to know if anyone has any info on him. But he's a 6'9 SF which definitely makes him an interesting prospect.

Give me Bostjan Nachbar before Thomas Gardner though, 10x out of 10. I'd like to see Gardner guard an almost 6'10 SF...

Leonard Curse
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM

:toast THIS DAMMIT!!! pops brain is floating in sangria these days

Spurs Brazil
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Jawad Williams among first to 'audition' for Spurs
By Mike Monroe on Aug 30, 10 10:57 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark Twitter
With training camp scheduled to open in four weeks, the Spurs on Monday opened their practice facility gym to potential training camp invitees.

Among the first to participate in open gym workouts: Jawad Williams and Thomas Gardner.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/08/jawad-williams.html

Taking it to the Hole
08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Jawad Williams seems like an interesting prospect. He is a little older, about 27, but he still looks like he could benefit from more playing time. He averaged around 13-14 min for Cleveland last year, so easily could see giving him at least 20 minutes a game to see if he has the tools needed to be a Spur. Don't see the Cavs letting him go though.

ChuckD
08-30-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm sure they're interested. The problem is that most of those taller players with a comparable skill set to Anderson go in the top 10 of the draft. We only have three trade chips that would get us that, and that's a minus sum game, gambling an All Star on a kid that has about a 50% chance to outlive his rookie deal.

If Anderson is an 85 on a 100 scale, I'm furious if the Spurs draft a 75 because he's 6'9".

Solid D
08-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Jawad Williams among first to 'audition' for Spurs
By Mike Monroe on Aug 30, 10 10:57 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark Twitter
With training camp scheduled to open in four weeks, the Spurs on Monday opened their practice facility gym to potential training camp invitees.

Among the first to participate in open gym workouts: Jawad Williams and Thomas Gardner.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/08/jawad-williams.html

Ah, the first Danny Ferry move.

timtonymanu
08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I like it ..... well the Jawad Williams part.

I've heard of Thomas Gardner's name but never seen him play.

Obstructed_View
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm sure they're interested. The problem is that most of those taller players with a comparable skill set to Anderson go in the top 10 of the draft. We only have three trade chips that would get us that, and that's a minus sum game, gambling an All Star on a kid that has about a 50% chance to outlive his rookie deal.

If Anderson is an 85 on a 100 scale, I'm furious if the Spurs draft a 75 because he's 6'9".

Ah, the David Kahn defense. Nice. At some point you have to draft for need, even if it means trading down or trading up to do it.

ChuckD
08-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Ah, the David Kahn defense. Nice. At some point you have to draft for need, even if it means trading down or trading up to do it.

Uh, no, because there were actually quality players available at other positions ranked just as high as Kahn's PGs. Nice strawman attempt, though.

GSH
08-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Nah... if you go small often enough, sooner or later it has to work. Right?

Ah, the first Danny Ferry move.

Yep. Ferry must have seen something he liked. Williams is one of those guys who has paid dues on overseas teams, and in the D-League. It would be nice for the Spurs to score another player like that - a late bloomer who is hungry for an opportunity to play. Ferry would know enough about him to have a pretty good idea about his ability to play. And he knows that in the Spurs' system, he'll have to be willing and able to play defense.

If it was just any other player coming in for a look, I wouldn't think much of it. But if Danny Ferry says, "This is a guy we could use", there might be something to it.

For the record, he was a good defender at the college level. And there was a report that LeBron is trying to recruit him to come to Miami.

Solid D
08-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Yep. Ferry must have seen something he liked. Williams is one of those guys who has paid dues on overseas teams, and in the D-League. It would be nice for the Spurs to score another player like that - a late bloomer who is hungry for an opportunity to play. Ferry would know enough about him to have a pretty good idea about his ability to play. And he knows that in the Spurs' system, he'll have to be willing and able to play defense.

If it was just any other player coming in for a look, I wouldn't think much of it. But if Danny Ferry says, "This is a guy we could use", there might be something to it.

For the record, he was a good defender at the college level. And there was a report that LeBron is trying to recruit him to come to Miami.

Even though Jawad played for Danny and Cleveland the past 2 seasons, it's not like the Spurs don't know Jawad. He was in Spurs' training camp back in 2005-06 along with Sherrod Ford, Kyle Bailey and some other training camp guys.

mountainballer
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Even though Jawad played for Danny and Cleveland the past 2 seasons, it's not like the Spurs don't know Jawad. He was in Spurs' training camp back in 2005-06 along with Sherrod Ford, Kyle Bailey and some other training camp guys.

well back then they didn't see a NBA player in him. (obviously)
which he in fact wasn't.

GSH
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM

The Spurs had Raja Bell in training camp, too. They didn't keep him on the team, but Pop called Larry Brown and told him he should have a look at Bell. Those kinds of endorsements carry a lot of weight.

There's a reason Jawad didn't stick the first time, but some guys are late bloomers. I just don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs are looking at a bench guy from Cleveland, or that the player is Jawad Williams. If Ferry didn't think he could play, he wouldn't be here.