PDA

View Full Version : Router help

Slydragon
08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
OK I just moved and the cable guy came in hook everything up, the pc work via Ethernet cable to the modem.

He left and I hook up my router and all my stuff just as it's been before the move. Now the pc will not connect but my Xbox/PS3 all wired connect fine..my laptop wirless connects fine.

When I plug the Ethernet cable into the pc it acts like no wire is even connected, But if I plug it directly threw the modem it works. I plug everything back to the router and it goes back to not seeing the network. I unplugged the wire from the pc and plugged it into my laptop and my laptop will see and connect to the network just fine so I know the wire line is good.

I'm so piss I been messing with this for over a hour.

Nathan Explosion
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
OK I just moved and the cable guy came in hook everything up, the pc work via Ethernet cable to the modem.

He left and I hook up my router and all my stuff just as it's been before the move. Now the pc will not connect but my Xbox/PS3 all wired connect fine..my laptop wirless connects fine.

When I plug the Ethernet cable into the pc it acts like no wire is even connected, But if I plug it directly threw the modem it works. I plug everything back to the router and it goes back to not seeing the network. I unplugged the wire from the pc and plugged it into my laptop and my laptop will see and connect to the network just fine so I know the wire line is good.

I'm so piss I been messing with this for over a hour.

My brother had this same problem and had to reset his router. Stupid question, but are you using the same port into the router every time or have you been changing them up?

TDMVPDPOY
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
either you can reset..

or

put in ur pc MAC address into the wifi access allowed page....

Slydragon
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I did the factory reset also and it still will not detect that the cable is plug in, I'll try the mac thing but the pc is wired.

Slydragon
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
so I took the 30 foot cable and hook it from the modem to the router and then a new cable from the router to the pc and it work:pctoss

Why the hell does the 30 foot cable work fine on the Xbox and laptop and modem to router but not work with router to desktop. I dunno but I gave up. I just had the 30 foot out to make sure it work when the cable guy was here, I'm buy the desktop a wireless card this week so I don't have to run wire a all over the place.

Dex
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Might be a MAC Address issue. Modems and routers will oftentimes try to remember the MAC Address / Ethernet ID of machines they have connected to previously for DHCP routing purposes. Sometimes, these addresses can become corrupted or stuck in the software. Oddly enough, even the problem seems like it would be in the router, it may be a problem on the modem's end.

If you've already tried to reset the router and it still isn't working, try this (with the modem connected to your router, and your router connected to your PC:

Check the modem given to you by your ISP to see if it has a Reset button (usually a small pinhole), or a battery. If:
*there is a Reset button on the modem, press and hold it for 10 seconds until the lights on the front flash, then let the reset complete.
*there is a battery, remove the battery and unplug the modem from power for more than 5 minutes. then reconnect power.
*there is no battery or Reset button, simply unplug the modem from power for more than 5 minutes, then reconnect power.

This should perform a Hard Reset on the modem, clearing out any previously established MAC address info and re-establishing it. Test the issue.

2) If still unable to get online on the PC, powercycle (unplug and plug in) both the modem and router (plugging in the modem first, router second).

3) If still having issues, check on the routers settings / status page and see what IP address it is getting from the modem, make sure this is a valid external IP. If not, perform another hard reset in the router as well.

If that doesn't do it, I recommend calling your ISP and/or router manufacturer who will lead you through a variety of the same steps.

Dex
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Also, make sure your modem is JUST a modem, NOT a modem/router. If it's got ports for more than one Ethernet cable, then your modem is probably also a router, and you shouldn't have two DHCP routers on the same network. If that's the case, you'll have to put one of the devices into Bridge Mode so it acts as a switch instead of a router.

PM5K
08-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Just kinda skimmed your post but it's possible one wire is a crossover and one isn't.

Slydragon
08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Just kinda skimmed your post but it's possible one wire is a crossover and one isn't.

Thats what I thought buy why would a laptop/Xbox work with it but not the pc. I gave up, I'm going to go wireless on it because I don't want to run a long wire across the room.