PDA

View Full Version : Good God iTunes and DRM

resistanze
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
So I share music between computers using iTunes. Of course you need to authorize each PC (to a max of five).

I formatted my main laptop last night and added back all my content to iTunes. But, I can't authorize my computer again because apparently I used up all 5 slots, and I can't deauthorize all computers because I did it last October.

What I don't get is why iTunes can't recognize I'm authorizing the same PC. Why data does it exactly look at to determine this, which I assume was wiped out when I formatted? All I know is that it's fucking annoying.

Cry Havoc
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
What I don't get is why iTunes can't recognize I'm authorizing the same PC.

Because that would make too much sense.

Seriously, it's ludicrous how draconian iTunes is with it's DRM. Which is hilarious, because it still can't tell the difference between ripped mp3s and those torrented via bittorrent. :lol

You shouldn't have to, but you can probably call Apple up and have them remove your authorizations. Not sure though.

leemajors
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
So I share music between computers using iTunes. Of course you need to authorize each PC (to a max of five).

I formatted my main laptop last night and added back all my content to iTunes. But, I can't authorize my computer again because apparently I used up all 5 slots, and I can't deauthorize all computers because I did it last October.

What I don't get is why iTunes can't recognize I'm authorizing the same PC. Why data does it exactly look at to determine this, which I assume was wiped out when I formatted? All I know is that it's fucking annoying.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ - use the chat function, they can reset the authorizations in usually a few minutes. I've done it twice before, usually fairly quick. They don't offer phone support for iTunes.

resistanze
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks. I initially called their support line but was left hanging. Maybe I'm just blind, but it seems like for iTunes (or just the particular topic I need assistance with) is only available through email support. I guess I'll just have to wait for a response.

leemajors
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks. I initially called their support line but was left hanging. Maybe I'm just blind, but it seems like for iTunes (or just the particular topic I need assistance with) is only available through email support. I guess I'll just have to wait for a response.

You should be able to do a live chat as well.

EDIT: Nm

Nathan Explosion
08-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Because that would make too much sense.

Seriously, it's ludicrous how draconian iTunes is with it's DRM. Which is hilarious, because it still can't tell the difference between ripped mp3s and those torrented via bittorrent. :lol

You shouldn't have to, but you can probably call Apple up and have them remove your authorizations. Not sure though.

Wow CH, you really have an issue with Apple. Draconian? Seems a little over the top if you ask me.

I'd much rather use ITunes than anything MS is putting out at the moment.

resistanze
08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Personally, I use iTunes out of convenience. It's the only real way to get music onto the iPhone/iPod. Just like MS, you gotta sift through a lot of bullshit to get what you want.

Cry Havoc
08-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow CH, you really have an issue with Apple. Draconian? Seems a little over the top if you ask me.

I'd much rather use ITunes than anything MS is putting out at the moment.

Not being able to use a portable hard drive that you paid $300+ for as... you know, an actual hard drive, isn't draconian to you?

They tell you how often you can put music on your mp3 player, and ensure that you can only "sync" it with one device. Yeah, that's pretty freaking crazy considering ANY other mp3 player on the market functions as basically an open hard drive that you can move files to and from without having to worry about whether it's "authorized" or not.

TwAnKiEs
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Fuck I tunes. i had a gen1 Ipod touch and I since I got my Andriod, i im ported and never looked back :hat

leemajors
08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Not being able to use a portable hard drive that you paid $300+ for as... you know, an actual hard drive, isn't draconian to you?

They tell you how often you can put music on your mp3 player, and ensure that you can only "sync" it with one device. Yeah, that's pretty freaking crazy considering ANY other mp3 player on the market functions as basically an open hard drive that you can move files to and from without having to worry about whether it's "authorized" or not.

You can easily use an iPod as a portable HDD. Not the iPhone, but you can enable disk mode on iPods. I have no idea what you mean with the first sentence of the second paragraph, it makes no sense. You can put music on any time you like, given you are connected to iTunes. You can sync your music library with as many devices as you please. You can only use your iTunes account with 5 computers though, which should be plenty. It is an inconvenience to format without remembering to deauthorize the machine, but you can get that fixed.

Sense
08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Personally, I use iTunes out of convenience. It's the only real way to get music onto the iPhone/iPod. Just like MS, you gotta sift through a lot of bullshit to get what you want.

it's not the only way, I remember using a program back when I had my 80 gig, it also let me play games like DooM on it...

fuck itunes

Nathan Explosion
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
If you purchase music on iTunes you can use it on as many MP3 players as you like, and not just Apple branded ones. Plus the bit rate is twice as good now. Also you can use your iPod as a portable hdd. The only real problem I see anyone having here is not looking up the facts. What I find funny is how people keep jumping on threads just to complain about the OP without actually contributing anything.

About the only thing I would like is if you could take music from one computer and port it to another using your shared home network. My old Mac has music on it because I'd rather download on it because of the reduced risk of a virus. But my iPhone is too new for the Mac so now I have to transport all the music over if I want any of it on my phone.

And yes draconian is a strong word. Big overreaction IMO.

Frenzy
08-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Itunes. No thanks.

Amazon works for me. I thought itunes got rid of DRM....so I heard.

Sense
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
It's Rockbox btw... the program.. you should check it out.. it's pretty neat

phyzik
08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
DRM is the fucking devil and I have no qualms circumventing it. All it does is inhibit legit users while allowing pirates to get it for free....

I download shit in spite of DRM (and admitedly because I simply dont have the cash to purchase something I might not otherwise spend money on). if you label me a pirate, so be it.

If its worth it, I will buy a hard copy.

Even then, just dont expect me to shell out $60 for something that turns out not worth the money and can only activate so many times before I have to sit through 30 minutes of phone time just to get a key reactivated for a piece of software thats shitty to begin with.

I format and reload my system almost every 3 months, I dont need to be wasting time calling these fuckers to activate something I already paid for sometimes years ago.

Fuck DRM and fuck anyone that supports it.

I applaud iTunes for doing what they did, even though its still not FULLY DRM free, its a step in the right direction and probably the best model I have seen for copyright protection.

leemajors
08-31-2010, 05:44 AM
It's Rockbox btw... the program.. you should check it out.. it's pretty neat

It's ok, but far from ideal. I used it for about 3 days.

ElNono
08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
TBH, I'm sure Apple would have no problem ridding itself of DRM entirely. It's a cumbersome measure that only really inconveniences the legit users. Ultimately, it's not Apple demanding that shit, it's the RIAA and MPAA. If they had their way, they would make you buy a copy per each device/computer.

So I'm actually glad Apple has the leverage it has, and you can pretty much move this thing to 5 different machines and a bunch of devices. People forget, but this is actually a big step forward from the original Windows DRM.

Ultimately, you can vote with your money. I've personally never purchased music with DRM.

Cry Havoc
08-31-2010, 12:18 PM
You can easily use an iPod as a portable HDD. Not the iPhone, but you can enable disk mode on iPods.

But you can't on the iPhone, right? Right. What are most people buying now?

I have no idea what you mean with the first sentence of the second paragraph, it makes no sense. You can put music on any time you like, given you are connected to iTunes.

Given that you're connected to iTunes
And iTunes accepts the music (which it usually does, but I've had instances of conflict before)
And that you haven't already used your 5 authorizations

You can sync your music library with as many devices as you please. You can only use your iTunes account with 5 computers though, which should be plenty. It is an inconvenience to format without remembering to deauthorize the machine, but you can get that fixed.

Should you have to? Obviously the OP is having difficulty.

If you purchase music on iTunes you can use it on as many MP3 players as you like, and not just Apple branded ones. Plus the bit rate is twice as good now.

What does this mean? I've always encoded my mp3s to 320kbps. Twice as good as what? The previous options that iTunes offered?

Also you can use your iPod as a portable hdd. The only real problem I see anyone having here is not looking up the facts. What I find funny is how people keep jumping on threads just to complain about the OP without actually contributing anything.

If you'll note my first response, I told him exactly what he needed to do to resolve the problem. But good effort all the same. :tu

About the only thing I would like is if you could take music from one computer and port it to another using your shared home network.

Now now, we can't have that option, or thieves would use it! :lol

My old Mac has music on it because I'd rather download on it because of the reduced risk of a virus. But my iPhone is too new for the Mac so now I have to transport all the music over if I want any of it on my phone.

And this makes sense... how? You paid for music. It's YOUR MUSIC. You should be able to do what you want with it, as long as you aren't breaking the law.

And yes draconian is a strong word. Big overreaction IMO.

I will withdraw my initial comment and replace it with "Stalin-esque". :lol

You guys act like I made this thread. I didn't, and I haven't really made any threads about Apple for quite a while now. :lol

resistanze
08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech support emailed me today, telling me they've deauthorized all my computers.

I have to get it through my skull that along with backing up music, bookmarks and email accounts - REMEMBER TO DEAUTHORIZE MY COMPUTER ON iTUNES :lol