PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross Documented Koran Abuse

Nbadan
05-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Red Cross told U.S. of Koran incidents
By Cam Simpson and Mark Silva
Washington Bureau
Published May 19, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The International Committee of the Red Cross documented what it called credible information about U.S. personnel disrespecting or mishandling Korans at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility and pointed it out to the Pentagon in confidential reports during 2002 and early 2003, an ICRC spokesman said Wednesday.

Representatives of the ICRC, who have played a key role in investigating abuse allegations at the facility in Cuba and other U.S. military prisons, never witnessed such incidents firsthand during on-site visits, said Simon Schorno, an ICRC spokesman in Washington.

But ICRC delegates, who have been granted access to the secretive camp since January 2002, gathered and corroborated enough similar, independent reports from detainees to raise the issue multiple times with Guantanamo commanders and with Pentagon officials, Schorno said in an interview Wednesday.

In addition to the retracted Newsweek story, senior Bush administration officials have repeatedly downplayed other reports regarding alleged abuses of the Koran at Guantanamo, largely dismissing them because they came from current or former detainees.

<</SNIP>>

Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0505190306may19,1,278199.story?coll=chi-news-hed)

This won't matter to wacko fundamentalists like TRO and NeoCon since they will just accuse the RC of being a leftist/George Soro sponsored organization.

ATTENTION NEWSWEEK EDITORS/JOURNALISTS:

Next week, please publish THIS story, with full quotes and attributed sources to the Red Cross (and why not the dozen plus other sources that have been documented elsewhere)

Write the story, attribute the sources and call this administration to task for its attempt to scapegoat your magazine for its own disastrous intervention policies.

Spurminator
05-19-2005, 10:26 AM
True or not, I maintain my "Who Gives a Shit, It's a Fucking Book" stance.

Nbadan
05-19-2005, 10:45 AM
True or not, I maintain my "Who Gives a Shit, It's a Fucking Book" stance.

That's just it. To Muslims the Koran isn't just a book. It's the very words of God as whisphered into Muhammed's ear not just a collection of stories gathered through time like the bible. This would be the equivalent to flushing the dead sea scrolls or the ten commandments down the toilet for Christians.

Useruser666
05-19-2005, 10:49 AM
That's just it. To Muslims the Koran isn't just a book. It's the very words of God as whisphered into Muhammed's ear not just a collection of stories gathered through time like the bible. This would be the equivalent to flushing the dead sea scrolls or the ten commandments down the toilet for Christians.

So you think 15 people would be killed in rioting in the US, if say the Iraq insurgents tried "torturing" some US hostages like that? Pffftttt!

Spurminator
05-19-2005, 11:05 AM

No, it would be the equivalent of flushing a Bible. Christians believe the Bible is the Word of God as well, spoken directly through the likes of Moses, Paul, Isaiah, etc., but you don't see deadly riots when someone desecrates a copy of it.

I don't hold Newsweek responsible for the riots, but I do hold them responsible for jumping to trumpet a story that the public would be just as well off not knowing. I'm all for freedom of the press, but these sorts of exposés should be reserved for cases where an actual atrocity occurs. The independent press is meant to serve the interests of the public.

This story serves for nothing but to further inflame the Muslim community against America. It should never have been printed, reliable sources or none.

Buenos Hairys
05-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I ABUSE MINE PENIS.

The Ressurrected One
05-19-2005, 12:55 PM
This would be the equivalent to flushing the dead sea scrolls or the ten commandments down the toilet for Christians.
If they were copies, who cares?