PDA

View Full Version : iphone back from the dead....

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Hell Yea!

Middle of the day yesterday it just quit working...the "touch" to the touch screen died...I could see it...the phone could ring and I could see who was calling, but I couldn't answer.

I was major bummed, especially when I started looking at prices on new ones on e-bay....

I was pretty sure it was moisture...I had it in my pocket when I was working at the ranch Sunday and my shirt got really sweaty...I had it in the otterbox but that was all I could think could be the problem...I dumped it int a ziplock of rice for a few hours to dehumidify it and then did a hard re-boot...

After about 20 minutes...BING! back to life!

Still working fine.

*note to self*

Take it out of your damn pocket when you are working outside...

Dr. Gonzo
08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Great thread. Real quality stuff there.

JoeChalupa
08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
*note to self*

Good call!

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
I slammed my iphone on the ground and broke the screen. fuck you

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM

I know a company that can replace that for you for under $100. I was already researching repairs while I was drying it out.

mrsmaalox
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I've heard of that rice in the ziploc trick (maybe from someone here at ST), and I'm glad to know it really works :tu

Veterinarian
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Drachen
08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I had this Nokia that I couldnt get rid of no matter how hard I tried. I am not the type of person to go out and buy a new something, just because my current something is older and therefore couldn't justify buying a new phone until that one broke. The charger port was a little loose so I had to make sure the cord was setting just right to charge it, the camera lense was scratched, and other assorted maladies (it went on like this for a year). Well one day my wife was working on something in the garage, but needed to use my phone. I let her borrow it and was working in the back yard. I needed my phone, so I walked in as she was walking in from the garage looking forlorn. I asked her what was wrong and she showed me her hands. In it was the insides of my phone, the battery, etc. She had finished in the garage, drove the truck back into it and run over the phone. I rejoiced. I told her "don't look sad, look happy." I was planning a trip to the phone store to get a new one and put everything back together to see if the store could somehow get the phone on long enough to get my numbers. The freakin phone turned on. Not only did it turn on, but it worked with no noticeable defects. That thing was a freakin tank. It worked for another 6 mos before the charging port finally disconnected and fell out one day.

I guess I am trying to say I am glad that you got your phone to work again. Quality in this area of electronics is few and far between and despite my love-hate relationship with that Nokia, I am very happy I got my money's worth and more.

thispego
08-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Probably just a hard reboot would have done the trick you sweaty bastard :lol

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
I know a company that can replace that for you for under $100. I was already researching repairs while I was drying it out.

100$? I looked online and saw that the glass was only like 20$ at most.

leemajors
08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Hell Yea!

Middle of the day yesterday it just quit working...the "touch" to the touch screen died...I could see it...the phone could ring and I could see who was calling, but I couldn't answer.

I was major bummed, especially when I started looking at prices on new ones on e-bay....

I was pretty sure it was moisture...I had it in my pocket when I was working at the ranch Sunday and my shirt got really sweaty...I had it in the otterbox but that was all I could think could be the problem...I dumped it int a ziplock of rice for a few hours to dehumidify it and then did a hard re-boot...

After about 20 minutes...BING! back to life!

Still working fine.

*note to self*

The rice bag will work on most phones, worked for my iPhone about 18 months ago. I ended up selling it to get a 4, worked perfectly for a year after I dropped it in the toilet and rice bagged it.

Drachen
08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
The rice bag will work on most phones, worked for my iPhone about 18 months ago. I ended up selling it to get a 4, worked perfectly for a year after I dropped it in the toilet and rice bagged it.

Diiiiiiiiiiiiirty!

Nathan Explosion
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM

If you're in town, Milliamp can do it for you.

http://www.milliamp.com/index2.html

They fixed the headphone jack in my iPod for $65. Everyone else wanted to charge me $200. The part itself was $45. You can set up your repair online if you live out of town and ship it. In San Antonio it's on De Zavala past Culver's when heading from I-10.

4>0rings
08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
You can't trust anyones BBQ when the owner has an iphone. All hat no cattle. No self respecting cowboy carries an iphone.

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
If you're in town, Milliamp can do it for you.

http://www.milliamp.com/index2.html

They fixed the headphone jack in my iPod for $65. Everyone else wanted to charge me $200. The part itself was $45. You can set up your repair online if you live out of town and ship it. In San Antonio it's on De Zavala past Culver's when heading from I-10.

98$ to repair my screen fuck that.

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll just keep it the way it is.

Nathan Explosion
08-31-2010, 07:32 PM
I'll just keep it the way it is.

It's a $500 phone (well the 4 is, but still). $98 is a fraction of the cost. It's not so much the part that gets you but the labor.

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
my iphone looks exactly like this
http://www.ifonenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/busted-iphone.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
adds life to it IMO

koriwhat
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Just buy the part online and fix it yourself. A friend of mine who knows nothing about electronics fixed his iPhone that had a fucked up display, another iPhone with a fucked up speaker and another one with something messed up. Bought all the parts online and went at it.

MavDynasty
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
sons i had a friend at a party jump into his pool with his new iphone in his pocket. he was fucking pissed that that shit stopped working even though he is extremely rich and could just get a new one. i told him about that rice bag trick not actually thinking it would work but it did

Darrin
09-01-2010, 03:30 AM
I had this Nokia that I couldnt get rid of no matter how hard I tried. I am not the type of person to go out and buy a new something, just because my current something is older and therefore couldn't justify buying a new phone until that one broke. The charger port was a little loose so I had to make sure the cord was setting just right to charge it, the camera lense was scratched, and other assorted maladies (it went on like this for a year). Well one day my wife was working on something in the garage, but needed to use my phone. I let her borrow it and was working in the back yard. I needed my phone, so I walked in as she was walking in from the garage looking forlorn. I asked her what was wrong and she showed me her hands. In it was the insides of my phone, the battery, etc. She had finished in the garage, drove the truck back into it and run over the phone. I rejoiced. I told her "don't look sad, look happy." I was planning a trip to the phone store to get a new one and put everything back together to see if the store could somehow get the phone on long enough to get my numbers. The freakin phone turned on. Not only did it turn on, but it worked with no noticeable defects. That thing was a freakin tank. It worked for another 6 mos before the charging port finally disconnected and fell out one day.

I guess I am trying to say I am glad that you got your phone to work again. Quality in this area of electronics is few and far between and despite my love-hate relationship with that Nokia, I am very happy I got my money's worth and more.

:lmao God Damn phone company. Don't make your shit last if I don't like it!

Nathan Explosion
09-01-2010, 08:48 AM

I'm guessing you mean the screen and not the actual model of iPhone, right. I have a vendor who doesn't want to give up his original iPhone. His wife and son have a 3GS so he's going to get the 4, because he doesn't want his son to use his upgrade.

marini martini
09-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Did you kype it from my daughter????

BlackSwordsMan
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing you mean the screen and not the actual model of iPhone, right. I have a vendor who doesn't want to give up his original iPhone. His wife and son have a 3GS so he's going to get the 4, because he doesn't want his son to use his upgrade.
no not the model but my screen looks exactly like thatw

hrm?

monosylab1k
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
You can't trust anyones BBQ when the owner has an iphone. All hat no cattle. No self respecting cowboy carries an iphone.

:lol the Duke would not approve of some crazy commie contraption like the iphone.

marini martini
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM

hrm?

My stupid dtr's phone looked like that, when some jerk-off stole it off the table at El Chingalero's, while she was dancing a few weeks ago.

S'up Ryan!!!:flipoff

mrsmaalox
09-01-2010, 08:14 PM
El Chingaleros?? :lmao

oh, and who is Ryan?

CosmicCowboy
09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
My stupid dtr's phone looked like that, when some jerk-off stole it off the table at El Chingalero's, while she was dancing a few weeks ago.

So mommy, did you buy your daughter a new iphone?