PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Marijuana Relative to the National Economy

FuzzyLumpkins
09-01-2010, 01:37 AM
So I bought an ounce of weed today for $35. Its schwag compressed mexican red hair. As I sit here smoking it I realized that I have been buying weed for about that same price for 15 years.

The price of homes and basic staples like bread and milk have gone up about 80% during that time. The price of gas has gone up 250%.

The Mexican drug industry is currently been going through a violent war between various cartels for going on a decade. That is going to go down in history as the bloodiest conflict in the western hemisphere in the last 100 years.

I can buy their shit for the same price as I did over a decade ago.

Sisk
09-01-2010, 01:41 AM
I know what you're saying, but I don't know what you're saying.

Sisk
09-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Unless you're only saying what you just said. In which case, cool.

Xevious
09-01-2010, 02:45 AM
That will all change once it's legalized and regulated.

Darrin
09-01-2010, 03:28 AM
And it's gotten more pure over the last 40 years. Isn't that crazy?

2pac > Kobe
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
So I bought an ounce of weed today for $35. Its schwag compressed mexican red hair. As I sit here smoking it I realized that I have been buying weed for about that same price for 15 years.

The price of homes and basic staples like bread and milk have gone up about 80% during that time. The price of gas has gone up 250%.

The Mexican drug industry is currently been going through a violent war between various cartels for going on a decade. That is going to go down in history as the bloodiest conflict in the western hemisphere in the last 100 years.

I can buy their shit for the same price as I did over a decade ago.
word

Nathan Explosion
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
It gets cheaper the closer you get to the border too. My cousin said he once got more weed for $25 because he was in the Valley than what he gets in SA. So he ended up spending $50 because hey, he's a man, and we all love finding a good deal.

The prices in SA are much cheaper than they are further north. So while the economy and inflation don't affect the cost, shipping does.

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
It gets cheaper the closer you get to the border too. My cousin said he once got more weed for $25 because he was in the Valley than what he gets in SA. So he ended up spending $50 because hey, he's a man, and we all love finding a good deal.

The prices in SA are much cheaper than they are further north. So while the economy and inflation don't affect the cost, shipping does.

I used to get Mexican dirt weed for $75 a key in quantity. It was selling for $10 a bag back then on the retail end of the chain.

bus driver
09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
bioMXlKGr9c

DisAsTerBot
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
schwag.....bummer

Stringer_Bell
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Fuzzy makes a good point, the country has been stressing people out but the price of of weed stays reliable and the product has only gone up in quality. So obviously, the demand keeps the price stable and it's an affordable activity for people wanting an escape that live on a budget.

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Fuzzy makes a good point, the country has been stressing people out but the price of of weed stays reliable and the product has only gone up in quality. So obviously, the demand keeps the price stable and it's an affordable activity for people wanting an escape that live on a budget.

Thats because drug dealers are true capitalists.

koriwhat
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
nug is what's fuckin' ridiculous these days... bunch of people out to make more than a buck on that shit. seems like beast is the same price as good shit and if you run across badass shit you might as well give up your arm or leg because it ain't coming cheaply.

Stringer_Bell
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Thats because drug dealers are true capitalists.

BPS9YKGaKQE

Adjourn your asses.

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
nug is what's fuckin' ridiculous these days... bunch of people out to make more than a buck on that shit. seems like beast is the same price as good shit and if you run across badass shit you might as well give up your arm or leg because it ain't coming cheaply.

Got a pound of rock straight off the plane from Peru for $1000 once. The Ambassadors kid went to UT and brought it in with the diplomatic stuff.

hater
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
miss south america. A pound of good shit for less than $40

marini martini
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
$50.00 lbs. Those were the days!!!:tu

Mark in Austin
09-01-2010, 12:06 PM
BPS9YKGaKQE

Adjourn your asses.

One of my favorite scenes. Interesting that String had what seemed to be a logical point but ultimately it turned out that the game was about more than making money.

marini martini
09-01-2010, 12:16 PM
One of my favorite scenes. Interesting that String had what seemed to be a logical point but ultimately it turned out that the game was about more than making money.

Quantity vs. Quality?:hat

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been herb free for over 30 days now but when I was smoking there was no way I'd pay those high dollar prices for that "hydro" stuff. Hell, I can't even enjoy the buzz knowing how much $$ the buzz is costing me. Nice schwag is fine by me. :hat Yeah, been paying the same price for quite some time now.

Whisky Dog
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM

That's because in the valley you just have to get it across a narrow ass river, and not the checkpoints where a lot of people get busted on ground transport. That drives up cost more than the cost of shipping, or I guess is a major factor in the shipping cost depending how you look at it. When I lived in the valley my friend who came from one of those nice cartel families would skim the choice off the top and just give me a lot, and if I bought it was like $15 an ounce. Ridiculously cheap. He had so much one time we lit a small brick up in one of those little charcoal barbque pits (minus the charcoal of course) and smoked it through the sliding vent hole. Those were the days, bow I can't find a reliable supply for the 6 times a year I want some. I wish the govt would just decriminalize the home small grow so I could get some bank seeds, maybe a haze or some good blend, and grow my own small personal use harvest.

koriwhat
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
some of the best shit i have ever smoked was in mexico... way better than some of the nug i've smoked in my lifetime. i think the best was in acapulco and mazatlan.

Hooks
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I bought and eighth for $60 of some Mr. Nice Guy a week ago, it was pretty darn good. The best ones I've had were Trainwreck and White widow, they were both covered in crystals like a motherfucker and had a bunch of hairs, it was $65 for an 1/8th but it was worth it.

Schwag is gross, sometimes I feel like I'm gonna die if I smoke it. I've found pieces of string n shit like that in my schwag before, people on MJ forums have even said they found chicken fence wire in the middle of his brick of schwag and even a chicken foot, I wouldn't doubt it either.

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Best I ever had was from a hookup I had in the mid-70s. Still a lot of unwinding/bringing stuff back to the states from Vietnam and some GI's had a good thing going bringing Thai sticks back hidden in military cargo. Unfuckingbelievable. Pounds wholesale THEN were $300. Thats when I was getting dirt weed for $35 a pound. You had to use a bong or hash pipe because it was impossible to roll a joint small enough. It was a 100% cerebral sativa stone bordering on hallucinogenic.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Weed snobs are lame. You felt like you were going to die? What a pussy.

If you want to smoke orange kush wrapped in a $.50 cigar then go for it but to me thats like drinking L'Or mixed with koolaid.

If I want to roll blunts or big joints its all about the schwaggles. Its not like its some 6 month old ammonia ridden dirt weed. The harvest is starting to come in for this year and stuff is actually pretty fresh. Lean back and puff slow.

As for the kind, its not like I do not smoke that. The price on that has remained steady too. When I was growing it back in 1997 I was selling it for $100 a quarter no matter how you prorated. For good friends I would sell it for $300 an ounce. At those prices it was selling like mad but even back then some people were selling it $125 a quarter and thats what I pay now.

If you are paying prices like $175 a quarter like I have been seeing then you are getting ripped off. All these silly names are just to cover up their bullshit. There are basically a few different breeds of 'kind' weed most of which are indigenous to Afghanistan, India and Nepal. There are some sativas from america that produce big flowers too.

Sure their crossbred but I have seen guys take a white widow plant call it a triple frost or some bullshit and sell it for $25 more. I saw another guy run a nylon thread through the stalk of a plant and wick it in vanilla extract for the last 10 days of the flowering cycle, called it vanilla gorilla and he sold it for $50 more.

The mexicans do not do that shit.

marini martini
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I smoked some Maui Waui in the 70's once, I thought I was on acid. My funny boy, dead ex-husband lit up a pipe hit for me once, and I swear to God I thought he just killed me. The rush to my brain was so fast & furious, I thought I was about to die. Turns out he sprinkled amyl nitrate on it!!!

I quit smoking pot a long time ago, it just never agreed with me. Made me paranoid & stupid as fuck.

I did try some chronic a few years back with my son. Bad move............I had to take a Xanax to come down. How ya'll do that shit I'll never know, but more power to ya!

Peace out!

marini martini
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
When I was growing it back in 1997 I was selling it for $100 a quarter no matter how you prorated. For good friends I would sell it for $300 an ounce.

Mighty white of you, dude!!! S'up Doug????
:rollin

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I smoked some Maui Waui in the 70's once, I thought I was on acid. My funny boy, dead ex-husband lit up a pipe hit for me once, and I swear to God I thought he just killed me. The rush to my brain was so fast & furious, I thought I was about to die. Turns out he sprinkled amyl nitrate on it!!!

I quit smoking pot a long time ago, it just never agreed with me. Made me paranoid & stupid as fuck.

I did try some chronic a few years back with my son. Bad move............I had to take a Xanax to come down. How ya'll do that shit I'll never know, but more power to ya!

Peace out!

Oh shit! Amyl Nitrate...now THATS a blast from the past...:lmao

We'd smoke dope on the football field at lunch in high school and then someone would usually pull out the amyl nitrate...I never really liked the stuff but would laugh my ass off watching some dude take a big snort, pass out, and hit the ground like a turd from a tall horse...

mrsmaalox
09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Marini, I don't know if it's "Maui Waui", but my good friend's hubby is a baggage handler for one of the airlines and those guys have quite a little network going of exclusively Hawaiian product---if you are interested I could hook you up :lol

marini martini
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh shit! Amyl Nitrate...now THATS a blast from the past...:lmao

We'd smoke dope on the football field at lunch in high school and then someone would usually pull out the amyl nitrate...I never really liked the stuff but would laugh my ass off watching some dude take a big snort, pass out, and hit the ground like a turd from a tall horse...

Yeah, when I "came to" the mo-fo was laughing his ass off, too!!!:dizzy

Hey Marini, I don't know if it's "Maui Waui", but my good friend's hubby is a baggage handler for one of the airlines and those guys have quite a little network going of exclusively Hawaiian product---if you are interested I could hook you up :lol

Thanks G.F.!!! Only if it comes with a 30 day supply of Xanax. :p:

DarkReign
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I only smoke the goods because I dont smoke everyday.

$400 an ounce, 3 hitter quitter, lasts me months (literally). I work fucking hard and make good money, I am not wasting my time or money on brick brown. Its either the sweetest in Michigan or I dont buy it.

Call me a snob, dont care. Only problem though is that my close friends know I have it but theyre broke fuckers who only want to buy joints. So I have them calling me every other day "Dude, can I get?" I dont even charge them anymore, I consider making fun of them and ragging on them for being such fucking mooches payment enough.

4>0rings
09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Peace out!You're cool in my book now. :lol

Why did you have to take a Xanax to come down from a high that makes you mellow...

DisAsTerBot
09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Weed snobs are lame. You felt like you were going to die? What a pussy.

If you want to smoke orange kush wrapped in a $.50 cigar then go for it but to me thats like drinking L'Or mixed with koolaid.

If I want to roll blunts or big joints its all about the schwaggles. Its not like its some 6 month old ammonia ridden dirt weed. The harvest is starting to come in for this year and stuff is actually pretty fresh. Lean back and puff slow.

As for the kind, its not like I do not smoke that. The price on that has remained steady too. When I was growing it back in 1997 I was selling it for $100 a quarter no matter how you prorated. For good friends I would sell it for $300 an ounce. At those prices it was selling like mad but even back then some people were selling it $125 a quarter and thats what I pay now.

If you are paying prices like $175 a quarter like I have been seeing then you are getting ripped off. All these silly names are just to cover up their bullshit. There are basically a few different breeds of 'kind' weed most of which are indigenous to Afghanistan, India and Nepal. There are some sativas from america that produce big flowers too.

Sure their crossbred but I have seen guys take a white widow plant call it a triple frost or some bullshit and sell it for $25 more. I saw another guy run a nylon thread through the stalk of a plant and wick it in vanilla extract for the last 10 days of the flowering cycle, called it vanilla gorilla and he sold it for $50 more.

The mexicans do not do that shit.

175 a quarter!!! you are freakin crazy! a bill, 120 tops

CosmicCowboy
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
You're cool in my book now. :lol

Why did you have to take a Xanax to come down from a high that makes you mellow...

Depends on the weed. Most of the commercial stuff you buy is indica based (because of the high volume it produces) and gives you mellow couch lock. The sativa based weed is a much more cerebral high energy high. Huge difference in stone.

DisAsTerBot
09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Depends on the weed. Most of the commercial stuff you buy is indica based (because of the high volume it produces) and gives you mellow couch lock. The sativa based weed is a much more cerebral high energy high. Huge difference in stone.

cannabis 101
:toast

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM

:tu When I was stationed in Hawaii I smoked some of the best herb ever. Took more than a few trips to Maui and got royally stoned. Also "tripped" more than a few times and the weed wasn't even that expensive because no additional costs were added. Good times.

Hook me up brah!! :lol

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM

whottt 101 :lol

balli
09-01-2010, 04:51 PM
National dollar value aside, I for one, prefer paying more for good weed. I routinely pay an extra 20-30 bucks for half ounces, over $150 for perfectly serviceable chronic. If economic concerns became prevalent, I'd rather smoke less supers than constantly smoke something less amazing. It's a shame that geography ruins some peoples options.

marini martini
09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
You're cool in my book now. :lol

Causes memory problems too, from what I hear!:rollin

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I only smoke the goods because I dont smoke everyday.

$400 an ounce, 3 hitter quitter, lasts me months (literally). I work fucking hard and make good money, I am not wasting my time or money on brick brown. Its either the sweetest in Michigan or I dont buy it.

Call me a snob, dont care. Only problem though is that my close friends know I have it but theyre broke fuckers who only want to buy joints. So I have them calling me every other day "Dude, can I get?" I dont even charge them anymore, I consider making fun of them and ragging on them for being such fucking mooches payment enough.

Before I quit for a piss test I only smoked on the weekends and that worked for me. I've smoked some of the 3-hitter stuff and I must be a burnt out because I was like..wtf....give me a few more hits of that. :lol No way I'd pay that much for weed even I was making the big bucks but I ain't knockin' any toker. :tu Or was I?

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I normally would drink when I toke so after a few beers all I need is a few bong hits to put me where I want to be. I did burn some good stuff awhile back with JT and caught a nice strong buzz but I was getting some pretty nice chronic without paying the big bucks because of family ties.

4>0rings
09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Depends on the weed. Most of the commercial stuff you buy is indica based (because of the high volume it produces) and gives you mellow couch lock. The sativa based weed is a much more cerebral high energy high. Huge difference in stone.I know, I grew it. I would disagree about the huge difference. Most of it's in how you grow it and how long you let the plant flower. The more you let the trichs ripen from clear to white to amber is how the high will most likely be. Clear sucks, white cerebral, amber couch lock. People just get impatient and chop the plants too early. Mexican dirt weed is mostly Sativa, well it was when I was buying bricks in the late 90's and early 00's.

It's the way they have been doing it for decades. Mexico doesn't need to worry about temperature in the winter to have an early harvest which an Indica plant would help with.

Indica is more commercially grown if it's indoors or towards the north of the US and Canada. Indica is bushier and shorter making it a lot easier to grow indoors and can be harvested earlier.

JoeChalupa
09-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I've grown my own before but didn't have any elaborate system. Just some nice seeds to start out with. :tu I did get impatient a few times though. I once had a cop walk into my room and yank out a nice big plant I had growing. Somebody snitched and I was rockin' out and didn't hear the knock on the door and my roommates couldn't warn me in time but they were cool and just took the plant and told us to watch it.

Heath Ledger
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I have friends in Cali with their medical marijuana card I can get an eighth of some bomb ass smoke for $35-40. And i get all kinds of edibles from )3-7 each.

blizz
09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Bunch of "hey look at me, I'm cool cuz I smoke weed" liars.

Cheeto
09-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Good BC bud here in WA state is usually $300 an O. It's usually 1-2 hitter quitter stuff.

CosmicCowboy
09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
I have friends in Cali with their medical marijuana card I can get an eighth of some bomb ass smoke for $35-40. And i get all kinds of edibles from )3-7 each.

My son lives in LA and has a mm card...I wish Texas would go that route...

DarkReign
09-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Try again?

JoeChalupa
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Yeah I saw a report on how easy it is to get medical weed in Cali.

RandomGuy
09-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Actually if the price has remained stable, then it has, in essence, fallen.

If the price of that $35 purchase 15 years ago had kept pace with inflation, then it should be costing roughly $55 or so by now.

Basic economics says that the good has either become more available or demand has fallen. I don't seem to remember seeing any studies on aggregate demand, but I doubt that aggregate demand for that has fallen that much in 15 years.

RandomGuy
09-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Given what I know of the people in this thread, I have no cause to disbelieve any of them.

Why do you think they are posers?

balli
09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I know, I grew it. I would disagree about the huge difference. Most of it's in how you grow it and how long you let the plant flower.

It's the way they have been doing it for decades. Mexico doesn't need to worry about temperature in the winter to have an early harvest which an Indica plant would help with.

Indica is more commercially grown if it's indoors or towards the north of the US and Canada. Indica is bushier and shorter making it a lot easier to grow indoors and can be harvested earlier.
Nobody listen to this fucking bitch. He once grew a scrub shrub in the closet of his mom's unfinished basement and now he thinks he's knows what the fuck he's talking about. tbh, he smokes more penis than he does weed.

4>0rings
09-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Nobody listen to this fucking bitch. He once grew a scrub shrub in the closet of his mom's unfinished basement and now he thinks he's knows what the fuck he's talking about. tbh, he smokes more penis than he does weed.
That's not very mormon of you.

Boris
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
IMO prices have been pretty steady for years but some do like to gouge.