PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to workout Miles

nbaman99
09-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Written by Jeff Garcia
Tuesday, 31 August 2010 20:44
According to the San Antonio Express News (via probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com) the San Antonio Spurs are to workout forward Darius Miles.

Miles has dealt with numerous microfracture knee surgeries since coming to the NBA. He has had stints with the Los Angeles Clippers, Portland Trail Blazers, Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics and the Memphis Grizzlies. He last played in the NBA in the 2008-2009 season with the Grizzlies.

He is not a typical "Spurs player" in the sense of handling himself well on and off the court. He was suspended by the NBA for violating the league's substance abuse policy and had confrontations with former Blazers' coach Maurice Cheeks.

For his career he has averaged 10.1 points, 1.9 assists, 4.9 rebounds and shot 47% from the field.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/january/spurs-to-workout-miles.html

rayray2k8
09-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Interesting.. Wonder when he'll get his 'tryout'.

The kid can play, no doubt.. But is he willing to listen, learn and play in Pop's system?
Probably not, but time will tell.

rayray2k8
09-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I know that this has been discussed in 2 other threads, however we should keep an eye out on him.
Not really excited about the possibility or the thought for that matter, but we should update his status on one thread.

Darrin
09-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Spurs answer to T-Mac.

ChuckD
09-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Spurs answer to T-Mac.

Not even. TMac is a has-been. Miles is a never-was. He never developed beyond the most rudimentary NBA game, augmented by some athleticism, which by now has gone the way of his micro-fracture repaired knees.

The_Worlds_finest
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Would be cool if he took the minimum, put it this way the Darius Miles experiment couldnt be any worse than the Nick Van Exel Show.
I know I am being overly optimistic, but if this guy could produce for us it would add another dimension to our rotation.

ThaBigFundamental21
09-01-2010, 08:09 AM
If anyone could reach this guy it would be Pop obviously. The problem is not his attitude, but his body. He has been hurt so many times, and it's unfortunate, he could have been a really good NBA player. It's insane to believe he is only 28. Seems like he has been around forever.

gameFACE
09-01-2010, 08:10 AM
The hope would be this is a guy who has something to prove now. Or maybe he will reinforce why he's been a slacker with so many teams and bring some good weed into the locker room.

At least you know the Spurs are looking for a real SF with decent size and not another 6'5" SF/SG combo.

coyotes_geek
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Waste of time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Now that signing him wouldn't result in screwing the Blazers out of some money I just don't see the fun in it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Now that signing him wouldn't result in screwing the Blazers out of some money I just don't see the fun in it.

:lol

nbaman99
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
When I posted this, I checked and didn't see the first one, sorry.

MannyIsGod
09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Rather have miles than Bogans.

Well I'd rather die in my sleep but honestly I'd rather just live.

Miles was done years ago so I'm not sure how this is worthwhile but w/e.

hater
09-01-2010, 10:32 AM
why not just go ahead and work out Bonzi Wells and Shawn Kemp?

EricB
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Now bitching about players they just workout and don't sign nor do anything with?

Good god.

Sausage
09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
What year is this? 2000?

hater
09-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Now bitching about players they just workout and don't sign nor do anything with?

Good god.

worse is to bitch about bitching. aint it?

Mel_13
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Anything else going on with the Spurs?

Tony's not taking enough practice shots every day.

superbigtime
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Go with what we've got, hate to see a guy like this take anyone's PT. How could Miles ever have any trust from Pop?

MannyIsGod
09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Anything else going on with the Spurs?

Fair enough but I'm sure Pop could have found a better use for a day!

Mel_13
09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Link?
ihatetonyparker.com

lefty
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Link?

ihatetonyparker.com
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161547

duhoh
09-01-2010, 11:53 AM
if he checks out and signs for a minimum, it'll be low-risk, low-to-medium reward.

not bad.

ducks
09-01-2010, 01:11 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161547

bruno translated correctly
haters hating

G-Dawgg
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Didn't Miles have microfracture knee surgery? Isn't that the same type of injury that made everybody avoid T-Mac like a plague?

So you mean to say that the Spurs would rather have Darius Miles than Tracy McGrady?
Because I'm sure they coulda given McGrady a shot before he signed with Detroit for 1.3mil.

... whoa that's kinda twisted......

Chomag
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Didn't Miles have microfracture knee surgery? Isn't that the same type of injury that made everybody avoid T-Mac like a plague?

So you mean to say that the Spurs would rather have Darius Miles than Tracy McGrady?
Because I'm sure they coulda given McGrady a shot before he signed with Detroit for 1.3mil.

...whoa that's kinda twisted......

I was thinking the same thing as this when I first read this thread.

JR3
09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
The spurs are working him out....so if he passes the workout, I don't see why not.. He can play.

duhoh
09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
t-mac went for detroit, seeing how the pistons' trainer has had success with the likes of dice, and when ben wallace returned to a lesser extent. from a pure basketball standpoint, it didn't make any sense for him to go to a team that is stuffed with wing players.

his skillset would rape for most 2nd units in the league, as he is able to be a solid scorer at the 2/3, and play point-forward/guard.

i don't think t-mac was ONLY avoided for the microfractures. probably the ability to run his mouth at the wrong times, he does bring a lot of baggage. couple that with a poor work ethic, and bam. the houston exodus left a bad taste in many peoples' mouths, including mine as a t-mac fan.

k-mart had the surgery done to BOTH knees, and i definitely wouldn't object to his "enforcer" type presence in the paint next to TD. if miles comes in with something to prove like k-mart, then he'll be fine.

Ditty
09-01-2010, 01:39 PM
maybe for some reason tmac just didn't want to play for the spurs it seems like now

cheguevara
09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
he got kids to feed

nbaman99
09-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing as this when I first read this thread.

See your point, but i think it has to do with how he said he is not going to play while with Rockets. Remember, when he got back last year Rockets didn't even care. So, it has to be the off the court issues kept Spurs from trying out Tmac

8FOR!3
09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I doubt Darius Miles demanded to be a starter. McGrady basically did.

gospursgojas
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Im down with Miles for min...low risk

timtonymanu
09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Oddly enough, I use to be a fan of Darius Miles. I havent seen him play in a while and I dont know how much he has left so I dont know if I would want him here.

If it comes down to Williams or Miles, I want Williams.

ChuckD
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Glad someone pointed this out. Amare had microfracture surgery but why give Miles a shot and not McGrady. Doesn't male sense.

I don't think the knee was what made the Spurs and other teams avoid TMac. TMac is not clutch, and is playoff krytonite. He also just got to the fringes of the NBA, a place where Miles has been for years, and it's an adjustment to go from star to roleplayer, a BIG adjustment.

Chieflion
09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think the knee was what made the Spurs and other teams avoid TMac. TMac is not clutch, and is playoff krytonite. He also just got to the fringes of the NBA, a place where Miles has been for years, and it's an adjustment to go from star to roleplayer, a BIG adjustment.

TMac has been a victim of shitty teams in the playoffs. His playoff performances have been outstanding.

Of course, now he is so washed up only the Pistons want him for their all SG lineup.

GSH
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I thought Grant Hill was done when he signed with the Suns. I remember laughing about what a stupid move it was, since he was obviously broken down and couldn't get through a whole season healthy. Oops.

But Hill was a great player and a great teammate before his injuries. All he had to overcome was his physical problems. Darius Miles never lived up to his potential as a player, and he was always a problem child because of his attitude.

He supposedly had a brand new attitude when he worked out for the Celtics. But while he was trying to make a comeback, he got busted for a substance abuse violation. To me, a guy who is desperately trying to make a comeback, and can't figure out that he has to be on his best behavior? Probably isn't going to stick here.

phxspurfan
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Kid is old, but he's relatively young in playing time terms so why not?

Plus, the Spurs have always needed a guy who does the 'bull horns' thing after he hits a three:

wcDiei8AfF4

Pop, searching for your 15th man? No question, Darius Miles.

3oSLGRTR2e4

thOOdee
09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
im actually pumped about this.......
and thats pretty sad.. it just shows the mediocrity ive been getting used to w bogans, mason, bonner, and finley.

wildbill2u
09-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Lots of misinformation about T-Mac out there. Some criticize him for not carrying the Rockets to a NBA title, but he couldn't do it by himself when Yao was out. I don't think he was a choker at all, just having to play 1 on 5 since he was on a bad team at the time.

By all accounts here in Houston he worked his ass off to rehab his injury and then the Rockets wouldn't let him on the floor because they didn't want to play him and pay him since they knew they weren't going anywhere with Yao done for the year and they were getting compensated by insurance. That created some bad feelings since it was his last year on the contract.

All that being said, he'd definitely want to start and that probably wasn't in the cards if he became a Spur.

All of the above doesn't mean I'm down with bringing Miles onboard. He could have behavior issues and lingering injury issues. If he still has anything like the old Miles left in his body, he could be a solid backup. Pop will let him know real quick that its his last chance at playing for a contender.

Pop will have to sort all that out, but FO wouldn't have brought him in for a workout unless they have at least some interest.

Obstructed_View
09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
If the Spurs avoid guys who have had microfracture surgery, then make sure nobody tells them about Antonio McDyess.

ChuckD
09-02-2010, 07:25 AM
If the Spurs avoid guys who have had microfracture surgery, then make sure nobody tells them about Antonio McDyess.

Did he have a "double"? I'd say that quarters your chances of a complete recovery.

bigdog
09-02-2010, 09:02 AM
For those complaining, I don't see a reason for it. The Spurs are simply working out a guy that wants to get back in the league. He made it back recently with the Grizzlies, and didn't look half bad when he was with them. He's been a knucklehead, but if there's one coach who could turn him around, its Pop.

If he fails, oh well. If he does good, he could be a cheap bench guy, or even just a training camp body with NBA experience. Low risk situation. Personally, I'm kinda excited. If he can still play, I'm all for it.

dbestpro
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
FYI
Darius Miles is 6-9 and is 28 years old. He turns 29 in October.
Jawad Williams is 6-9 and is 27 years old. He turns 28 in Feb.

Age and size is not that big of difference, so it really comes down to who can play better.

admiralsnackbar
09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
FYI
Darius Miles is 6-9 and is 28 years old. He turns 29 in October.
Jawad Williams is 6-9 and is 27 years old. He turns 28 in Feb.

Age and size is not that big of difference, so it really comes down to who can play better.

Without being a knucklehead.

Bruno
09-02-2010, 09:19 AM
TMac and Miles situations aren't comparable.

TMac was asking for a guaranteed contract while Miles is auditioning for a training camp contract.

If Miles do well in workout, Spurs will triple check his knees. If his knees are in good enough shape, they could sign him to a non-guaranteed contract. After that they will have one month of training camp to judge him before spending some money on him. If they keep him after the trainign camp, Spurs will have 2 additional months before his contract became guaranteed.

Giving a shot to Miles is a way smaller commitment than giving a shot to TMac.

dbestpro
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Without being a knucklehead.

Kucklehead or not I still want the better player. Miles is older now and his last few episodes ended because of younger players being brought along not because he was still nuts like he was when he played in Cleveland.

I would be happy with Williams, Miles and Gee in camp and letting the competition decide who becomes the back up small forward. Right now, I am just happy we are talking about guys 6-9 as backup small forwards.

hater
09-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Lots of misinformation about T-Mac out there. Some criticize him for not carrying the Rockets to a NBA title, but he couldn't do it by himself when Yao was out. I don't think he was a choker at all, just having to play 1 on 5 since he was on a bad team at the time.

he couldn't take the rockets out of the first round

admiralsnackbar
09-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Kucklehead or not I still want the better player. Miles is older now and his last few episodes ended because of younger players being brought along not because he was still nuts like he was when he played in Cleveland.

I would be happy with Williams, Miles and Gee in camp and letting the competition decide who becomes the back up small forward. Right now, I am just happy we are talking about guys 6-9 as backup small forwards.

Agreed on all points... I was just being a dumbass. I'd even add that the likely terms of a contract -- regardless of who signs -- will discourage any bad behavior as his position on the roster would already be too precarious to jeopardize by being a clown.

Obstructed_View
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
No one ever said the Spurs avoided players because of microfracture surgery.

At least one person implied exactly that, citing it as a reason the Spurs passed on Tracy McGrady. I was simply pointing out one of the many flaws in that reasoning.

ace3g
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Bobcats Give Miles Shot At Roster

The Bobcats are giving forward Darius Miles a chance to make their roster with a non-guaranteed contract and an invitation to training camp.

Miles is attempting another comeback from a serious knee injury.

He was out of the league last season and has played sparingly since microfracture knee surgery in 2006.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69060/20100910/bobcats_give_miles_shot_at_roster/#ixzz0zA4wgf5p

Just as I expected; In my opinion, the Spurs had no interest in Miles; this move was more on Miles part to show that his attitude has changed; and by working out with a first class organization like the Spurs, will help him get noticed by some of the other teams in the League

Obstructed_View
09-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Pop's known for doing that for different players.

EricB
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Tmac's surgery wouldn't be the reason. I would say the reason him not even able to play whole games, hell even HALF games with the Knicks would be a reason.

Bruno
09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
It will be nearly impossible for Miles to stick with Charlotte because they have a lot of depth at the forward spots.

Anyway, in 16 days, Spurs' training camp starts and the backup SF spot is still a huge question mark.