PDA

View Full Version : Meet Chad Forcier, the man who made a player out of George Hill

Mel_13
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
By Rob Mahoney

Between his rookie and sophomore seasons, George Hill somehow evolved from a neat little athlete into the man gunning for Tony Parker's job. How'd he do it? Hill learned to shoot a little bit, he started to play with more control, and he nabbed a positional designation that tricks casual fans into thinking he runs the offense, when in fact that's more Manu Ginobili's deal. Just sayin'.

Nevertheless, Hill improved significantly in his second year in the NBA, and according to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News, Hill credits much of that improvement to Spurs' assistant and development aficionado, Chad Forcier:

Hill serves as "Exhibit A" in the body of evidence supporting Forcier's skill in developing players..."Chad wants to see you improve even more than you want to improve," Hill said. "You don't see that from many coaches. From watching film to breaking down every single aspect of a move you're working on or putting you in scenarios that make you better, everything he does is unique.

"Since Day 1 of my rookie year, he told me the corner 3-pointer was where I was going to make a name for myself, along with my defense. I give him all the credit for that aspect of my game."

Hill may not be ready to leap headfirst into a starting point guard gig, but it's clear that his value to the Spurs organization has jumped over the last 12 months. Forcier seems to have been a critical part of that process. However, Forcier will need to work some more of that same magic with Hill again this summer if George is indeed tabbed as the post-Parker point guard. Each day is a water slide away from San Antonio that takes Parker further every day, and his potential departure would make Hill the obvious replacement.

Hill's an excellent athlete with good instincts, and now, a terrific shooter to boot. Taking the next step is even more crucial, though. San Antonio is clearly comfortable with George Hill the role player, but should he continue to elevate his game in his third season, the Spurs' combination of internal development and roster improvements should put them at the lead of the West's second tier, while also putting the offense in safe hands for the future.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/meet-chad-forcier-the-man-who-made-a-player-out-of-george-hill.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Great Fantastic
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Say It Ain't So?

ace3g
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Player development crucial for #spurs, now that they're no longer older than dirt. Link from Old Man @M_Monroe_in_SA : http://bit.ly/aRzFLZ

lurker23
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Player development crucial for #spurs, now that they're no longer older than dirt. Link from Old Man @M_Monroe_in_SA : http://bit.ly/aRzFLZ

The main highlight from that Express-News article for me is that Jefferson has been working a fair amount with the Spurs coaching staff through the summer.

Also, here was a nice little nugget that we may not have heard:

"With Temple and rookie James Anderson cleared from injury rehabilitation, Forcier has added them to his list of students."

(Attribution: Mike Monroe, San Antonio Express-News, August 31, 2010, http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Player_development_tops_Spurs_summer_agenda_101945 028.html?showFullArticle=y )
(Sorry, don't feel like breaking out the full MLA format. :lol )

thispego
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
"Between his rookie and sophomore seasons, George Hill somehow evolved from a neat little athlete into the man gunning for Tony Parker's job. How'd he do it? Hill learned to shoot a little bit, he started to play with more control, and he nabbed a positional designation that tricks casual fans into thinking he runs the offense, when in fact that's more Manu Ginobili's deal. Just sayin'."

Is this really necessary? If Parker hasn't already made up his mind to leave, dumbfuck journalists like this sure are making the decision easier for him. Fucking ridiculous! :bang

lefty
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Can Chad make a player out of TP ?

spursballer21
09-01-2010, 06:23 PM
the article also says james gist was in the workouts

Ice009
09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I read that article yesterday and I wanted to mention that RJ and Blair both worked with Pop. It said Pop spent considerable time with those two. So maybe it was true before RJ opted out that he did spend time working on his game with Pop? or do you think this was after he resigned that Pop started working with him?

What is the deal with posting articles from that site? Can you post a paragraph and a link or is that not allowed either?

Man In Black
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Just another New York Based company doing their share of trying to influence TP by writing about the possibilities, yet again.

admiralsnackbar
09-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Not sure about the Pop spending time with RJ and DB, but DeJuan has lost a lot of weight this summer.

Hard to say that it's a good thing for DB to lose weight given it was one of the things that enabled him to get into scoring position or keep others out of it.

justinandimcool
09-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Hard to say that it's a good thing for DB to lose weight given it was one of the things that enabled him to get into scoring position or keep others out of it.

Losing weight =/= Losing strength.

He'll still be the beast, just a leaner, meaner beast. :downspin:

admiralsnackbar
09-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Losing weight =/= Losing strength.

He'll still be the beast, just a leaner, meaner beast. :downspin:

I agree to an extent, but weight is weight. The more you have, the harder it is to knock you out of position, and the easier it is to knock others out of it. For a guy who is normally expected to share space with players who have the weight that comes from a 4-6 inches height advantage, that could be a problem. And if there's truth to the saying that "butts are for rebounding," the smaller DeJuan's mega-ass gets, the worse for his game. Hopefully I'm making too much of this.

spursballer21
09-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Not sure about the Pop spending time with RJ and DB, but DeJuan has lost a lot of weight this summer.
spill the bean phila
whats going on in the summer
are we gona keep james gist,the britain guy,or someone else?

admiralsnackbar
09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Charles Barkley did just fine when he was slimmer. My guess is that DeJuan is trying to be closer to Barkley than Milsap.

Good point.

boutons_deux
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Weight doesn't mean improved rebounding.

Which top rebounders now or ever were top rebounders because they were carrying 30-40 pounds of fat? At 300 pounds and 7+ feet, Yao is not an outstanding rebounder.

Dennis Rodman and Jason Kidd were fantastic rebounders without lots of fat.

Taking 20 pounds off DJB's knees is a good idea.

AFBlue
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
"Between his rookie and sophomore seasons, George Hill somehow evolved from a neat little athlete into the man gunning for Tony Parker's job. How'd he do it? Hill learned to shoot a little bit, he started to play with more control, and he nabbed a positional designation that tricks casual fans into thinking he runs the offense, when in fact that's more Manu Ginobili's deal. Just sayin'."

Is this really necessary? If Parker hasn't already made up his mind to leave, dumbfuck journalists like this sure are making the decision easier for him. Fucking ridiculous! :bang

Tony Parker is one of the most self-confident players in the NBA, so I doubt an article or articles discussing the possibility of George Hill taking the lead guard role permanently are going to sway his decision either way.