PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao still wants fight against Mayweather

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
NEW YORK (AP)—Manny Pacquiao and his trainer Freddie Roach said Wednesday they agreed to every demand put forward by Floyd Mayweather Jr. for what could have been the richest fight in boxing history.

Roach also insisted that negotiations did take place for the fight, contradicting recent statements made by Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe.

Mayweather has said that he has no plans to fight this year, so Pacquiao will face former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas.

“I don’t need him, he needs me,” Pacquiao said of Mayweather. “Compare my achievements in boxing to his achievements.”

They have both achieved plenty, which is why fans have been clamoring for the high-profile matchup for the better part of two years—and why so many are upset it has not happened.

The fight was nearly made in January, then fell apart when Pacquiao refused Olympic-style drug testing in the weeks leading up to the fight. But the newly minted Congressman from the Philippines said he’s even agreed to the strict blood testing in an effort to make the fight, but he hasn’t heard from Mayweather’s side why an agreement couldn’t be reached.

“We agree with, you know, his demands,” Pacquiao said, referring specifically to the blood testing. “I wanted to know if that’s his real reason (for not fighting).”

The entire negotiation process came to resemble an unsavory soap opera, with HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg publicly stating that he had worked tirelessly as an intermediary between the two sides. Pacquiao’s promoter Top Rank has a poor relationship with Mayweather, who rose to become a world champion under its banner, so it’s not unreasonable to assume there was an intermediary.

Shortly after a deadline imposed by Top Rank for Mayweather to accept the fight had passed, his adviser Ellerbe issued a bizarre statement in which he said no negotiations ever took place—contradicting Greenburg and the folks at Top Rank.

Roach said that Top Rank had been calling him for advice on what gloves to wear, what ring size to use, what weight to fight at—standard details during a negotiation process.

“When people are calling me and asking me, ‘Is this OK? Is this OK? Is this OK?’ There’s something going on,” Roach said. “I know there must have been negotiations going on.

“Whatever he wanted to do, we were accepting it. Whatever he wanted. Manny said, ‘I want to fight. I’ll agree to anything.’ I thought the fight was a shoo-in.”

Roach was recently in Ukraine to watch one of his other fighters, Vyacheslav Senchenko, retain a welterweight title. But all he heard from fans were questions about Pacquiao-Mayweather—not about Senchenko, and certainly not about Margarito.

“You know, I really truly think boxing needs that fight to happen,” Roach said. “All people want to know, ‘When’s he fighting Mayweather?’ Wherever I go, that’s what I’m asked. People will get annoyed if that fight didn’t happen.”

Most of them aren’t very happy that the Margarito fight is happening.

The former welterweight champion has become boxing’s biggest heel after illegal hand wraps were discovered before a January 2009 loss to Shane Mosley in Los Angeles. Margarito insists he knew nothing about plaster-like inserts and blamed his former trainer, Javier Capetillo, but he’s still been refused licenses to fight in California and Nevada recently.

Even Pacquiao finds it hard to believe that Margarito didn’t know what was in his wraps.

“You know what goes in your hands,” Pacquiao said, adding: “He’s just human. There’s not a perfect person in this world. We gave him a chance to fight.”

If not for all the sidelights involving Mayweather and Margarito, the fight itself would still be one among the most interesting on an otherwise barren fall boxing calendar.

After all, Pacquiao will have a chance to win a title in a record-extending eighth weight division—the fight will be for the WBC junior middleweight title, even though the catch weight is 150 pounds. And Margarito has a chance to show the world that he can beat boxing’s best in a fair fight, even if he’s much bigger than the pride of the Filipinos.

That the matchup will be held in Cowboys Stadium, where some are already estimating a crowd of 70,000 the night of the fight, only adds to the intrigue.

“Obviously I wanted Mayweather. I looked forward to that challenge,” Roach said. “This fight is the second best. He’s a good opponent, but he’s very beatable.”

Can someone tell Floyd to stop running ???

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
No he doesn't. Floyd will beat him. end of story ...

Venti Quattro
"random drug test first"

Venti Quattro

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
dude..so i added FLoyd to my facebook page to clown on him..that fool posts shit every day showing his money and everyone is telling him to fight pacman and all he keeps saying is "Im gonna fight when i feel like fighting" and a "boss does things when hes ready".

What a bitch.

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 11:48 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

mindcrime
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM

I hope you're not serious. Pacquiao would wipe the floor with Floyd.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
He may be a "bitch" that is WHY he will beat Pacman. Floyd wont brawl with him ...he will dodge duck weave and throw off a few pretty combinations per rund ...and oonly tade blows when it is to HIS advantage ...
PLUS Floyd had better pure boxing skill so even if floyd loses some handspeed time hurts Manny more.
Im not saying floyd is the ultimate competitor, Like Manny he maybe even a little scared. But styles makes fights. and Floyd's is the wrong one for Manny Floyd wins by unamimous decision and my guess the fight is boring and you will boo watching it whether you root for manny, floyd or boxing in general.

IN MMA rules Id take manny but in boxing Pac is not in floyd's class.

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
He may be a "bitch" that is WHY h will beat Pacman. Floyd wont brawl with him ...he will dodge duck weave and throw off a few pretty combinations per rund ...and oonly tade blows when it is to HIS advantage ...
PLUS Floyd had better pure boxing skill so even if floyd loses some handspeed time hurts Manny more.
Im not saying floyd is the ultimate competitor , Like Manny. But styles makes fights. and Floyd's is the wrong one for Manny Floyd wins by unamimous decision and my guess the fight is boring and you will boo ....

son...mayweather's gonna be ducking and dodging all night, he wont be able to even get a round on the scorecards. You act as if Manny doesnt have punching power and isnt as fast as floyd.

TheGreatest23
09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
mayweather obvioulsy is scared to fight pacman. He is worried about his undefeated record...simple as that. If he wanted money so much and if he really thinks he can beat pacman, sign the papers.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 11:54 AM
You guys are silly. IF Floyd actually "fought Pacman" and traded blows I would say he has the advantage. But when has floyd ever traded blows with a dude with power? Do you guys even watch boxing? Floyd will tie him up, showboat run and will win on a decision. Trust me. I got a one month sig bet on any takers ...

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
son...mayweather's gonna be ducking and dodging all night, he wont be able to even get a round on the scorecards. You act as if Manny doesnt have punching power and isnt as fast as floyd.

Never questioned the power Manny is >>>>>>Floyd.
Speed? Floyd >>>Manny and speed kills.

TheGreatest23
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
You guys are silly. IF Floyd actually "fought Pacman" and traded blows I would say he has the advantage. But when has floyd ever traded blows with a dude with power? Do you guys even watch boxing? Floyd will tie him up, showboat run and will win on a decision. Trust me. I got a one month sig bet on any takers ...

Floyd has never fought anyone with greater power who also matched him with speed.

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
no point in arguing who will win when this fight probably wont happen.

Killakobe81
I do admire BOTH floyd's skill and Manny's heart ...but in most cases when high level skill meets high level power speed wins 9 out of 10 times ...
Plus floyd doesnt brawl unless he knows he can drop you he will NOT trade blows with Pacman ...

BadOdor

I guess it's all a moot question, since floyd is too much of a bitch to actually fight.

TheGreatest23
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
no point in arguing who will win when this fight probably wont happen.

I guess it's all a moot question, since floyd is too much of a bitch to actually fight.

Bingo...there is a reason why Floyd is hiding.

JamStone
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
The fight will happen. I think Floyd is just waiting until Manny turns 37-38 years old. Floyd waits until good fighters are in their mid to late 30s to fight them.

Venti Quattro
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
The fight will happen. I think Floyd is just waiting until Manny turns 37-38 years old. Floyd waits until good fighters are in their mid to late 30s to fight them.

pac might be a senator by then :lmao

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 12:08 PM

i dont think Floyd realizes that he also gets older.

Floyd is just waiting for someone to beat Manny so he can say "see... he's beatable...no point in me fighting him...wheres Vic Darchinyan?"

BlackSwordsMan
09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
paki is a pussy

Venti Quattro
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
paki is a pussy

stinky pacqui

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Floyd has never fought anyone with greater power who also matched him with speed.

Matched with speed ...I doubt that. Greater punching power definitely.
I hope it happens. I think it wil have GREAT anticpation ...but I would bet the fight would be boring ...

Manny would stalk Floyd ...
Floyd will dance and tie him up when Manny gets close ...
Floyd will counter him never hurting Manny but do enough to swell his eye ...
and because it will "look" like floyd has done more damage even though manny may have landed more "power shots" ...Floyd will win.

You may not like Floyd but he is smart about protecting himself ...

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Matched with speed ...I doubt that. Greater punching power definitely.
I hope it happens. I think it wil have GREAT anticpation ...but I would bet the fight would be boring ...

Manny would stalk Floyd ...
Floyd will dance and tie him up when Manny gets close ...
Floyd will counter him never hurting Manny but do enough to swell his eye ...
and because it will "look" like floyd has done more damage even though manny may have landed more "power shots" ...Floyd will win.

You may not like Floyd but he is smart about protecting himself ...

manny also has enough speed to land non power shots....i think floyd will be to busy playing defense to get enough points to beat manny. manny uses angles pretty good.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Floyd doesnt get hit very often. His last fight he got hot a bit more than usual early, maybe that is why he is stalling here. I am not disputing that Floyd is scared or at the very least has respect for Pacman's fighting skills ...
BUT that is why if he does agree to fight it will be more boxing exhibition than epic brawl.
And I agree Floyd has never fought anyone like Manny, you can say the same about Pacman. Hate him or love him for being more dancer/showman than a true pugilist ...floyd is one of the all-time great masters at the "art" of the sweet science ...

BTW, boxing is my favorite sport even over MMA outside of basketball and football just slightly above soccer

hater
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
pretty boy is a pussy. So saying he would win the fight of which he is scared of is pretty retarded.

phyzik
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Floyd would lose.

cnyc3
09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/02/floyd-mayweather-racist-rant_n_703731.html

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
lol he's scared of a midget.

cnyc3
09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
"His name aint Manny, it's Emmanuel. He using a fake name!":rollin

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/02/floyd-mayweather-racist-rant_n_703731.html

damn Floyd is mad that everyones clowning him. hahahahha

TheNextGen
09-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Now that shit is racist. :ihit

Hooks
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Mayweather would probably kick Pacman's ass. Pacman has always had trouble with guys that could box well such as Barrera, Marquez, and Morales. Right before moving up in weight he barely won against JMM.

All these fights did happen before Roach became his trainer though, so I'm not sure how he'd do against against a guy like Floyd.

Floyd is basically a much bigger version of those guys with a lot more power and much better boxing ability, dude is crazy good, he's bulked up a bit since moving to 147 and is still at the top of his game.

The ONLY punch I've ever seen that has bothered Mayweather was the jab, something Pacquiao doesn't really have. Zab Judah was snapping Mayweather's head back and so was DLH when they were throwing the jab at Mayweather. Judah of course started off his fight like he was P4P #1 but wound up choking in the later rounds just like he has his entire career, DLH was too old and slow for Mayweather and didn't stick with the jab for some reason.

Mayweather is crazy talented, his defense is amazing, he's also got a very solid chin. He took a monster shot against Moseley but was able to hang on and keep his composure.

TheNextGen
09-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Mayweather would probably kick Pacman's ass. Pacman has always had trouble with guys that could box well such as Barrera, Marquez, and Morales. Right before moving up in weight he barely won against JMM.

All these fights did happen before Roach became his trainer though, so I'm not sure how he'd do against against a guy like Floyd.

Floyd is basically a much bigger version of those guys with a lot more power and much better boxing ability, dude is crazy good, he's bulked up a bit since moving to 147 and is still at the top of his game.

The ONLY punch I've ever seen that has bothered Mayweather was the jab, something Pacquiao doesn't really have. Zab Judah was snapping Mayweather's head back and so was DLH when they were throwing the jab at Mayweather. Judah of course started off his fight like he was P4P #1 but wound up choking in the later rounds just like he has his entire career, DLH was too old and slow for Mayweather and didn't stick with the jab for some reason.

Mayweather is crazy talented, his defense is amazing, he's also got a very solid chin. He took a monster shot against Moseley but was able to hang on and keep his composure.

Since when did Mayweather kick anyone's ass? lol You actually think he'd kick pacmans? You mean he'll probably win by decision right? lol

Also...Pac had trouble with Barrera? Really?

Floyd bulked up big since 147. Can you name me fighters he fought at 147 since he joined 5 years ago?

in2deep
09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
man stop teasing me!!!!

I want to see this fight so bad. Stop bumping this shit that will probably never happen. (Because mayweather is a pussy ass nigga)

TheGreatest23
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Mayweather sure talks a lot about Pacquiao, to quote the great Mike Tyson " Sign the contract big boy, sign the contract"

It's obvious Pacquiao's getting to him, it's probably sinking in that his name will always come up until they actually fight.

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Since when did Mayweather kick anyone's ass? lol You actually think he'd kick pacmans? You mean he'll probably win by decision right? lol

Also...Pac had trouble with Barrera? Really?

Floyd bulked up big since 147. Can you name me fighters he fought at 147 since he joined 5 years ago?

Floyd's been at 147 for five years and it took an earthquake for him to fight one of the top 147ers.

What's disappointing is when he did fight a top 147er, he worked him, him being Shane Mosley. Just frustrating that a guy who's so damn good will not fight on a regular basis.

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
"His name aint Manny, it's Emmanuel. He using a fake name!":rollin

:bang I guess we can say the same thing about Manu :depressed.

Floyd, Floyd, Floyd.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow some actual boxing talk! you guys buyingthe hype will be disappointed though. They will fight, it will be boring and Floyd will win...and I love boxing!
Floyd is not like Manny, his fights win or lose (people forget he used to lose some big fights) were exciting ...

MOST of floyd's big fights are incredibly boring ...unless you appreciate just pure boxing skill: parry, head movements slick defense ...

He is like the chapionship era Spurs some may find it "boring" but they lull you to sleeo and drop the hammer on you ...

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow some actual boxing talk! you guys buyingthe hype will be disappointed though. They will fight, it will be boring and Floyd will win...and I love boxing!
Floyd is not like Manny, his fights win or lose (people forget he used to lose some big fights) were exciting ...

MOST of floyd's big fights are incredibly boring ...unless you appreciate just pure boxing skill: parry, head movements slick defense ...

He is like the chapionship era Spurs some may find it "boring" but they lull you to sleeo and drop the hammer on you ...

who used to lose some big fights?

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
who used to lose some big fights?

Pacman IIRC didnt Erik skinny man Morales beat Pacman and Barrerra maybe?
I know I seen him lose at least twice BEFORE evryone jumped on his nuts.
Again i love the heart he fights with but I have seen him to lose to lessor boxers than floyd and maybe that is clouding my judgement ...BUT I don't think so ...floyd wins.

Pac fans keep calling him out ...i want to see if i am right or wrong...

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Manny hasn't lost a big fight since 2005 versus Erik Morales. His first two losses were in 1996 and 1999. Both losses occurred due to body shots ......

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Manny's record against Barrera, Morales and Marquez ..... 5-1-1

Thing is dude gets in there and actually fights. Floyd fights you once and shakes the spot. Only person he fought twice was Castillo and most people say he lost that first fight. That was the only reason he took the second one.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
My bad he beat Barrera but lost to morales and had a draw with Marquez ....
he also got knocked out by some (two) scrubs early in his career ...
I also saw a fight with Barrera where many thout pacman lost ...

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Manny hasn't lost a big fight since 2005 versus Erik Morales. His first two losses were in 1996 and 1999. Both losses occurred due to body shots ......

I hear ya Ashy, I agree. Floyd does not fight with the heart of a lion. Manny is a t-rex and Floyd is more velociraptor ...
head on battle you go T-Rex but In battle of wits I don't bet against the raptor and that is floyd ...

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 04:33 PM

I hear ya again, but i have been watching boxing since Leonard vs hearns Part one ...

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 05:00 PM

you watched the Marquez fight when some thought pacman might have lost. Pacman knocking him down was the key to that fight....the other rounds were pretty close.

With Morales, the first fight was a decision, but the next two fights were ass whoopings.

Manny, since then has been very improved and his recent fights arnt even close...and these are against top welterweights.

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

take away that first round and Manny did lose that fight. Marquez causes problems for Manny. Styles make fights. Probably the oldest boxing cliche ever. Manny did have the balls to get in the ring with him again.

Yeah, when he got KO'd...... two body shots early in his career. Since then, he's had one loss and one draw and has faced better competition than Floyd.

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
you watched the Marquez fight when some thought pacman might have lost. Pacman knocking him down was the key to that fight....the other rounds were pretty close.

With Morales, the first fight was a decision, but the next two fights were ass whoopings.

Manny, since then has been very improved and his recent fights arnt even close...and these are against top welterweights.

Fred Roach

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
take away that first round and Manny did lose that fight. Marquez causes problems for Manny. Styles make fights. Probably the oldest boxing cliche ever. Manny did have the balls to get in the ring with him again.

Yeah, when he got KO'd...... two body shots early in his career. Since then, he's had one loss and one draw and has faced better competition than Floyd.

I agree on all accounts ...no doubt about it. But as you said STYLES MAKES FIGHTS and what about manny's style will affect Floyd? Floyd likes aggressive guys that he can make look silly with his footwork and that he can counter ...

I'm telling you I HOPE they fight and it is GREAT ...but my guess is that the logical outcome (in order):
1. they fight it's dulll Floyd wins
2. they don't fight
3. Manny beats his ass KO
4. Floyd wins in an exciting fight
5. Manny wins and it's boring ...

Im willing to bet $ on either 1 or 2 ...

No one took me on a sig bet offer either ...I am THAT confident

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I agree on all accounts ...no doubt about it. But as you said STYLES MAKES FIGHTS and what about manny's style will affect Floyd? Floyd likes aggressive guys that he can make look silly with his footwork and that he can counter ...

I'm telling you I HOPE they fight and it is GREAT ...but my guess is that the logical outcome (in order):
1. they fight it's dulll Floyd wins
2. they don't fight
3. Manny beats his ass KO
4. Floyd wins in an exciting fight
5. Manny wins and it's boring ...

Im willing to bet $ on either 1 or 2 ...

No one took me on a sig bet offer either ...I am THAT confident

i'll sig bet with you. Im not impressed with Mayweather at this weight. Mayweather was awesome when he was in the lower weights, but has yet to convince me that he can fight at 147.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
i'll sig bet with you. Im not impressed with Mayweather at this weight. Mayweather was awesome when he was in the lower weights, but has yet to convince me that he can fight at 147.

Deal. Would be interesting if the fight happens (outcome not fight). i love boxing but the biggest fights are often letdowns the mid-leve;l guys like Diego corrales gave the best fights usually ...

Also since we both are laker fans Im guesing the loser gets something crazy done to their sigz ...

TheMACHINE
09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Deal. Would be interesting if the fight happens (outcome not fight). i love boxing but the biggest fights are often letdowns the mid-leve;l guys like Diego corrales gave the best fights usually ...

Also since we both are laker fans Im guesing the loser gets something crazy done to their sigz ...

yes you get my sasha sig ;)

i respect mayweathers skill..i just want him to fight the best fighters regardless if its pacman or not.

Killakobe81
09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
yes you get my sasha sig ;)

i respect mayweathers skill..i just want him to fight the best fighters regardless if its pacman or not.

We ALL do (boxing fans) but he won't. If he fights manny and beats him he is done ...even if he loses ...not sure he would fight a rematch ...but if he did THAT? I would respect him MUCH more ...

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll take Floyd over Manny but I can easily see Manny winning this fight by just stealing three or four rounds because he's the busier fighter. Case and point, look at that Jean Pascal-Chad Dawson fight. Pascal landed two good shots per round and Dawson stood there. Pascal won the first four rounds just off being the busier fighter and he really didn't do shit.

Floyd was the same way giving away a few early rounds against Zab Judah but came back and did his thing. Those can come back and seriously bite you in the ass. Ask Chad Dawson.

ezau
09-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Floyd is a big fucking pussy.

ezau
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll take Floyd over Manny but I can easily see Manny winning this fight by just stealing three or four rounds because he's the busier fighter. Case and point, look at that Jean Pascal-Chad Dawson fight. Pascal landed two good shots per round and Dawson stood there. Pascal won the first four rounds just off being the busier fighter and he really didn't do shit.

Floyd was the same way giving away a few early rounds against Zab Judah but came back and did his thing. Those can come back and seriously bite you in the ass. Ask Chad Dawson.

Unlike all the other fighters that Floyd has faced, Pac has a really, really good chance of knocking Floyd out. I know PBF is a supremely-gifted defensive boxer, but sooner or later, Pacquiao's vicious punches will land. It's not gonna be a pretty sight if that happens

ezau
09-02-2010, 09:07 PM

If PBF can't KO a bulked up and slowed down Marquez, not sure how he's gonna kick Pac's ass. All I see is that he's going to hide behind his shoulder roll and try to unload a counter punches when Pac starts to put on the pressure.

Pac hammered Morales and Barrera and that's damn impressive considering how great these fighters were.

I agree with your point with Marquez though. Pacquiao really has trouble with guys who counterpuch really well. If Floyd can time Pacquiao's punch, he's got a solid chance of beating him

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Unlike all the other fighters that Floyd has faced, Pac has a really, really good chance of knocking Floyd out. I know PBF is a supremely-gifted defensive boxer, but sooner or later, Pacquiao's vicious punches will land. It's not gonna be a pretty sight if that happens

Floyd could have been KO'd by Shane or "Chico" Corrales but in that Mosley bout, he made his adjustments and owned every round after the first two.

With Corrales, that was the best I have ever seen Floyd fight. That's the Floyd I want and it's sad that it was almost ten years ago. Maybe Manny will get some stick in there on him. The one thing I do know is Manny won't stop throwing punches; the sole reason why de la Hoya lost to Floyd.

ezau
09-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Agree with this. The last interesting Floyd match that I watched was when he fought Ricky Hatton.

ezau
09-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Pac fought Barrera in 2003 and hammered him in eleven rounds. Four years later, Pac cruised to an easy win against Barrera. Thing is, Pac simply has Barrera's number. Not sure what you're watching

ezau
09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Floyd could have been KO'd by Shane or "Chico" Corrales but in that Mosley bout, he made his adjustments and owned every round after the first two.

With Corrales, that was the best I have ever seen Floyd fight. That's the Floyd I want and it's sad that it was almost ten years ago. Maybe Manny will get some stick in there on him. The one thing I do know is Manny won't stop throwing punches; the sole reason why de la Hoya lost to Floyd.

Agree with you. I still remember Corrales falling down four or five times before his corner eventually stopped the fight. That was the time when Floyd was still a real fighter.

Many people say that when Castillo hurt Floyd, he started choosing his fights more cautiously.

Manny won't stop throwing punches, that is true. But even with his much improved defense, his main weakness is that he still gets hit a lot. I think this is the first time that Manny will be facing a fighter who has a comparable skill (maybe even better) and quickness. I want Manny to win personally, but I will not be surprised if Floyd beats him.

Ashy Larry
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah, Chico took a nice beating. Classic Floyd. Dude was just so fast in that fight. He was the smaller fighter and wasn't afraid to engage. He beat the shit out of Corrales.

Castillo actually made him work. Many people had Castillo winning the first one. I could have seen it going either way or a draw. The second one wasn't that far off as well. Castillo gave Floyd many problems.

As far as Manny is concerned, I can't fault him for going and fighting Margarito. I mean if Floyd says this is how the testing is going to go, and Manny agrees to it, the ball is now in Floyd's court.

And I'll damn sure believe Roach before I believe Ellerbe.

ezau
09-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah, Chico took a nice beating. Classic Floyd. Dude was just so fast in that fight. He was the smaller fighter and wasn't afraid to engage. He beat the shit out of Corrales.

Castillo actually made him work. Many people had Castillo winning the first one. I could have seen it going either way or a draw. The second one wasn't that far off as well. Castillo gave Floyd many problems.

As far as Manny is concerned, I can't fault him for going and fighting Margarito. I mean if Floyd says this is how the testing is going to go, and Manny agrees to it, the ball is now in Floyd's court.

And I'll damn sure believe Roach before I believe Ellerbe.

Good post:toast Here's a question, if Pacquiao opted to fight JMM for the third time, instead of Margarito, who would win? Pacquiao and JMM will do this in the 147-lb (welterweight) division.

Ashy Larry
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Good post:toast Here's a question, if Pacquiao opted to fight JMM for the third time, instead of Margarito, who would win? Pacquiao and JMM will do this in the 147-lb (welterweight) division.

Naw, I don't see Marquez coming up to 147 or even a catch weight at 142-144. You're asking a 35 year old dude to pack on 8-10 more pounds and fight Manny who's comfortable as shit at 144.

If it were to go down, they'd probably fight around 140 and Manny would be comfortable there as well. I might go with Marquez if they were to fight at 135 and Manny at 144-147. At 140, it would be a toss up especially seeing the way Marquez ended the career of the Baby Bull.

TheMACHINE
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM

JMM and manny were good fights cuz they fought at a fair weight at 130#. If manny makes marquez move up, it wont be the same and pac would have the advantage. Manny is much improved since the last fight and in two fights, manny knocked him down 4 times. Im sure manny would take it at 140 or 147.

Killakobe81
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't blame Manny mking $ but what does beating Margarito prove?
Mosley whupped his ass and Floyd beat Shane easy.
Why not fight shane? Whup his ass (if he can) worse than Floyd then call him out afterwards? right there in the ring with larry Mercant call hm straight bitch like Omar did marlo in the last season of the wire?

Killakobe81
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
and if Floyd has any pride his twiiter reply "my name is my name!!!" LOL

TheMACHINE
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't blame Manny mking $ but what does beating Margarito prove?
Mosley whupped his ass and Floyd beat Shane easy.
Why not fight shane? Whup his ass (if he can) worse than Floyd then call him out afterwards? right there in the ring with larry Mercant call hm straight bitch like Omar did marlo in the last season of the wire?

shane is pretty old dude. Pac whooped DLH and Hatton worst then Floyd did and it didnt make a differnce...he's still ducking. Fighting Shane doesnt prove anythign either. I rather see Margarito then a shane mosely fight. Honestly, there is like noone else to fight but Mayweather.

Killakobe81
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
shane is pretty old dude. Pac whooped DLH and Hatton worst then Floyd did and it didnt make a differnce...he's still ducking. Fighting Shane doesnt prove anythign either. I rather see Margarito then a shane mosely fight. Honestly, there is like noone else to fight but Mayweather.

this i agree with ...but whatever. This non fight (PBF/manny) is why as much I love boxing, makes me realize why MMA is passing (passed) it in popularity ...

Ashy Larry
09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Manny has options. First, can't take away the fact that Shane was considered the top 147er after mopping up Margarito and Floyd handled Shane minus round 2. Props to Nazim Richardson for doing what a trainer is supposed to be doing and finding illegal hand wraps. They had dude hands wrapped before Richardson was able to see them do the job. Makes you think about that Cotto fight.

When Floyd fought Oscar, he had to go up in weight. Oscar just fucked up and stopped throwing his jab. Oscar lost that fight more than Floyd won it. When Manny fought Oscar, Oscar was dead before the fight and the IV marks in his arms proved it. Easy pickings and all Manny did was lead left Oscar the entire fight. Had him looking like Harvey Two-Face. One side untouched, the other side, brutally beaten.

Hatton was the real test because he came up to fight Floyd and Floyd did what he was supposed to do but he fought Manny at the natural 140 and at a weight he dominated; and got worked. Blame Mayweather Sr. for trying to turn a brawler into a boxer after he's been brawling his entire career. Classic KO.

If Manny doesn't fight Floyd, he could go down to 140 and fight Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan (which I doubt - both trained by Roach) or Marcos Maidana. 140 is definitely stacked.

ezau
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Naw, I don't see Marquez coming up to 147 or even a catch weight at 142-144. You're asking a 35 year old dude to pack on 8-10 more pounds and fight Manny who's comfortable as shit at 144.

If it were to go down, they'd probably fight around 140 and Manny would be comfortable there as well. I might go with Marquez if they were to fight at 135 and Manny at 144-147. At 140, it would be a toss up especially seeing the way Marquez ended the career of the Baby Bull.

Good point, I agree with you. Personally, I would love Pac to fight JMM again just to settle the issue. The fights between them were really close and I believe JMM brings out the best out of Manny. He makes Pac work really, really hard for his wins.

At 147, I don't think JMM can handle Pac's speed and power, considering how slow he looked against Floyd when he fought at that weight.

ezau
09-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Manny has options. First, can't take away the fact that Shane was considered the top 147er after mopping up Margarito and Floyd handled Shane minus round 2. Props to Nazim Richardson for doing what a trainer is supposed to be doing and finding illegal hand wraps. They had dude hands wrapped before Richardson was able to see them do the job. Makes you think about that Cotto fight.

When Floyd fought Oscar, he had to go up in weight. Oscar just fucked up and stopped throwing his jab. Oscar lost that fight more than Floyd won it. When Manny fought Oscar, Oscar was dead before the fight and the IV marks in his arms proved it. Easy pickings and all Manny did was lead left Oscar the entire fight. Had him looking like Harvey Two-Face. One side untouched, the other side, brutally beaten.

Hatton was the real test because he came up to fight Floyd and Floyd did what he was supposed to do but he fought Manny at the natural 140 and at a weight he dominated; and got worked. Blame Mayweather Sr. for trying to turn a brawler into a boxer after he's been brawling his entire career. Classic KO.

If Manny doesn't fight Floyd, he could go down to 140 and fight Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan (which I doubt - both trained by Roach) or Marcos Maidana. 140 is definitely stacked.

Timothy Bradley is a fight a want to see. However, I don't think his name rings a bell to most fight fans. Knowing Arum, he wants to get the biggest fights possible for Pac before he hang up his gloves.
Aside from the Bradley fight, Pac can also move up to junior middleweight to get Cotto's belt.

I'm not saying that Cotto would have a chance beating Pac, but an eighth world title in as many divisions would look really good on Pac's resume

Killakobe81
09-04-2010, 12:56 AM
well Floyd has called Manny out again. I won't post it here because it's childish and racist. I hope they fight even more now though ...

ezau
09-04-2010, 01:17 AM
well Floyd has called Manny out again. I won't post it here because it's childish and racist. I hope they fight even more now though ...

Here goes Floyd again.

me15lo
09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Here goes Floyd again.

with what he does best, running his mouth

pussy

ezau
09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Here's the article:

Pacquiao focuses on Margarito, not Mayweather rant (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AryxxY4l4gY_RymxzIMsox85nYcB?slug=ap-pacquiao-margarito)

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—Boxing champion Manny Pacquiao dismissed a derogatory online video posted by Floyd Mayweather Jr., calling it an “uneducated message” and choosing to instead focus on his upcoming fight with Antonio Margarito.

In the widely circulated video, Mayweather goes on an expletive-filled and sometimes racist rant against Pacquiao, the newly elected Congressman from the Philippines who faces Margarito on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas.

Mayweather said during the video, which appeared this week, that he’s on vacation “for about a year” and would easily defeat Pacquiao after that.

“I just heard about that, but I didn’t see the video,” Pacquiao said Friday, at the final stop of a three-city tour to promote his fight. “But it’s an uneducated message.”

Mayweather, at times interacting with fans by phone on the video, claims Pacquiao “can’t speak no English” and has “never seen a contract he didn’t like.”

There are also suggestions that the Filipino sensation has used performance-enhancing drugs, assertions raised previously by the Mayweather camp that resulted in a defamation lawsuit that is still pending.
“It’s a really cheap low blow, but again, consider where it came from,” said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer. “We tried to fight him. He said no. He doesn’t want to fight.”

Roach said he hadn’t seen the Mayweather video. Mayweather’s chief adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, did not return messages left by The Associated Press. His publicist, Kelly Swanson, said in an e-mail that she had seen the video but had not been in touch with Mayweather or Ellerbe and couldn’t comment.

Fans have been calling for Mayweather to fight Pacquiao, but negotiations have repeatedly broken down for what could have been the richest fight in boxing history.

When a deal wasn’t reached in January, Pacquiao instead fought Joshua Clottey, defeating him in March at Cowboys Stadium. When negotiations broke down again this summer, Pacquiao turned his attention to Margarito, whom he’ll fight for a vacant junior middleweight title.

It is unclear when the Mayweather video was made, but it appeared online this week when Pacquiao and Margarito were in the midst of their promotional tour. After stops in Beverly Hills and New York, the media tour wrapped up Friday at Cowboys Stadium—in an end zone plaza instead of on the field, which was being prepared for a college football game.

When asked about the possibility of a Mayweather bout Friday, Pacquiao responded: “I’m not looking for that fight. I’m satisfied with what I’ve done in boxing already.”

Pacquiao said he’s only planning a couple of more fights before retiring, though he gave no indication of who the opponents might be. The seven-division champion said earlier this week that he would still face Mayweather if he accepted the fight.

Todd duBoef of promoter Top Rank said he had heard about the Mayweather video but “probably” didn’t have any interest in seeing it. Mayweather used to be a Top Rank fighter.

DuBoef also said he doesn’t want to hear Mayweather asking to fight Pacquiao, especially after his team denied that the second round of negotiations even took place this summer.

“It’s sad,” duBoef said. “You hope that people are a little more mature than things like that. … We’ve tried this twice (to make the fight). We tried it twice and you denied there were negotiations. Enough of that.”
DuBoef said that Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs) was ready to fight and not interested in waiting any longer on a bout with Mayweather, who is 41-0 after a unanimous decision in May over Shane Mosley. Mayweather took that fight after the Pacquiao deal fell through.

That was Mosley’s first fight since beating Margarito in January 2009, and the last time that Margarito fought in the United States. He was suspended for one year because a plaster-like substance was found in Margarito’s hand wraps before his bout against Mosley in Los Angeles.

Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs) was denied an application to fight in California and had another application tabled in Nevada before the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation last week approved his application. That cleared the way for another high-profile boxing match at Cowboys Stadium, the $1.2 billion showplace built by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

When Texas licensing executive director William Kuntz spoke Friday, he said Jones paved the way for major boxing events in Texas. While he didn’t address Margarito’s license issue, duBoef applauded the decision by Texas regulators.

“They did a terrific job. They did research, they didn’t rush to judgment,” duBoef said. “They didn’t listen to hype, they didn’t listen to hyperbole.”

Ashy Larry
09-04-2010, 10:24 AM
At 147, I don't think JMM can handle Pac's speed and power, considering how slow he looked against Floyd when he fought at that weight.

Don't look for Marquez to go no higher than 140 especially at his age. Dude was the smaller fighter and Floyd was still faster. Not good when you only land about 50 punches in a 12 round bout.

Timothy Bradley is a fight a want to see. However, I don't think his name rings a bell to most fight fans. Knowing Arum, he wants to get the biggest fights possible for Pac before he hang up his gloves.
Aside from the Bradley fight, Pac can also move up to junior middleweight to get Cotto's belt.

I'm not saying that Cotto would have a chance beating Pac, but an eighth world title in as many divisions would look really good on Pac's resume

Yeah, another title would be nice but boxing is watered down. 4 titles in each division. Some dudes are holding belts that don't really deserve them. They need to just go back to the original eight weight classes and have one champion. That's the one thing I do agree with Floyd on. Why should he pay a sanctioning fee just to capture Shane Mosley's title? WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO are huge crooks with Arum and King as their top pimps. To show you how corrupt boxing can be, Erik Morales was the number 2 ranked fighter at 140 in the WBC rankings and never fought at 140. Go figure.

As far as Bradley goes, he's on a collision course with Devon Alexander. Supposed to go down in January. That will put the two top 140ers in the ring. Something we can't seem to do at 147.

TheGreatest23
09-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Pac is fighting margarito at 150. Is he holding a belt?

Ashy Larry
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Pac is fighting margarito at 150. Is he holding a belt?

Think they're fighting for a vacant title ...... ho hum.

Like I said before, go back to the original eight divisions and have one legitimate champion. Shit is getting like wrestling with the Intercontinental title, U.S. title, T.V. title, Western States title and Florida title (old NWA).

Ashy Larry
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Pac should be able to jump all over Margarito, Margarito is an absolute bum.

He should but the good thing about this fight is that their hands will be thrown.