PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gordon and James Anderson

chazley
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I admittedly don't know a ton of information about each player, but I'm hoping there might be someone who does. In my mind, Eric Gordon is a good comparison to James Anderson. Their body, especially their upper bodies look very similar, and their skillsets are pretty close as well. Eric Gordon's body of work with Team USA this summer gets me pretty excited for Anderson if my theory turns out to be true, but again I'm not overly qualified to make the comparison.

8FOR!3
09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Isn't James Anderson a lot longer? Taller and lankier? Plus he seems more athletic and better at getting his shot off imo.

spectator
09-02-2010, 10:40 PM
i think gordon is proven to be an athletic nba player (can use his body to get off a shot and finish with a decent percentage). we only see anderson perform with ncaa players, which does not say much. i take gordon over anderson any day of the year. this is not even a contest yet.

The Btown Spur
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I went to Indiana university when Gordon played there, and he was a stud. At the end of the season when no one was trying (sampson being fired, no one wanted to play for the interim douche etc..) he was stilll playing like he wanted to win. I havent really watched anderson play as much i have gordon, but what im hearing about anderson (good shooter, slasher) sounds like what gordon can do. Although i might agree that anderson has a little more size than gordon, which helps SA. If SA gets what the clips got out of Gordon I think we will be very happy especially cause the clipps got gordon at 8 (i believe) and we got anderson at 20

Solid D
09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Isn't James Anderson a lot longer? Taller and lankier?

Yes, Anderson is 6'-6" while Gordon is 6'-3". Gordon is a little stockier with a more compact build. He can bull his way to the basket against certain players.

Both are great shooters with outstanding range. James shoots better from the FT line. Anderson has the ability to slash a bit more. Gordon appears to be a slightly better ball-handler.

G-Dawgg
09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Anderson is going to be an offensive demon.. he has proven he can score in almost any way possible, and has good NBA size. There wasn't much teams could do to stop him from scoring in the NCAA and his game WILL translate well to the NBA because he is not undersized, his jumper is reliable and NBA ready and he has excellent athleticism.

The only question mark with him is whether or not he's a sieve on defense at the next level.

spectator
09-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, Anderson is 6'-6" while Gordon is 6'-3". Gordon is a little stockier with a more compact build. He can bull his way to the basket against certain players.

Both are great shooters with outstanding range. James shoots better from the FT line. Anderson has the ability to slash a bit more. Gordon appears to be a slightly better ball-handler.

gordon was selected 7th overall - that's a sure lottery pick. anderson was 20th. i am not saying that you cannot get a jewel in the later picks, but the chances that this guy (anderson) is nba all-star level (which gordon could claim in his career multiple times) are very slim. i also heard some ppl (pre-draft) saying that he will be a dud. now that he is a spur, i am rooting for him, but i have to say that most ppl in this forum are too hyped up about him. i will consider it a big plus if by his 3rd year, he can give us g-hill production + g-hill defense. adding those to his height, he should be a great asset after tim-manu retire.

spectator
09-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Anderson is going to be a demon.. he has proven he can score almost any way possible, and has good NBA size. There wasn't much teams could do to stop him from scoring in the NCAA and his game WILL translate well to the NBA because he is not undersized, his jumper is NBA ready and he has excellent athleticism.

I've said it before, I see him as a Michael Dickerson type player.

The only question mark with him is whether or not he's a sieve on defense at the next level.

defense is half of the game, and if he cannot guard nba-athletic perimeter players, then he becomes the golden state archetype. no thanks.

Chieflion
09-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Eric Gordon has a 6 foot 9 wingspan. James Anderson has a 6 foot 8 wingspan.

Eric Gordon has a max vert of 40 inches, Anderson has a vert of 35.5 inches.

Eric Gordon ran a 3.01 3/4 full court sprint, Anderson ran a 3.19.

Eric Gordon had a better agility test than Anderson.

The only advantage Anderson has is height and standing reach.

Eric Gordon was just the better prospect and now, a better player.

That is no slight to Anderson as Gordon was a sure fire top 8 pick while Anderson hovering around mid to late first round.

spectator
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Eric Gordon has a 6 foot 9 wingspan. James Anderson has a 6 foot 8 wingspan.

Eric Gordon has a max vert of 40 inches, Anderson has a vert of 35.5 inches.

Eric Gordon ran a 3.01 3/4 full court sprint, Anderson ran a 3.19.

Eric Gordon had a better agility test than Anderson.

The only advantage Anderson has is height and standing reach.

Eric Gordon was just the better prospect and now, a better player.

That is no slight to Anderson as Gordon was a sure fire top 8 pick while Anderson hovering around mid to late first round.

to add to this: most ppl said john wall was nba ready, when declared for the draft - b/c he had the body and the athleticism required in the nba. well, when they took those measurements and underwent those agility tests, john wall dominated the point guards and had results similar to d-will IIRC.

numbers don't tell all the story, especially when you recover from injuries, but they do tell something; i expect anderson to be either average or below average in terms of nba-athleticism.

Chieflion
09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
to add to this: most ppl said john wall was nba ready, when declared for the draft - b/c he had the body and the athleticism required in the nba. well, when they took those measurements and underwent those agility tests, john wall dominated the point guards and had results similar to d-will IIRC.

numbers don't tell all the story, especially when you recover from injuries, but they do tell something; i expect anderson to be either average or below average in terms of nba-athleticism.

Actually Anderson is quite athletic, but Gordon was a total complete beast at those athletic tests.

Chieflion
09-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Actually Anderson is quite athletic, but Gordon was a total complete beast at those athletic tests. Gordon, in my opinion, was the 2nd most athletic player in the 2008 draft, the 1st being Derrick Rose.

spectator
09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Actually Anderson is quite athletic, but Gordon was a total complete beast at those athletic tests.

man, i hope so. we def. need more slashers on this team, especially with an aging ginobili.

J_Paco
09-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm hoping that he has above-average athleticism for a shooting guard because he maybe out-matched physically, especially if Pop plays him at the 3, and will need to compensate somehow.

How are his ball-handling skills and ability to catch-and-shot? Who does he most resemble at the NBA level (past or present)?

Cane
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Gordon's more talented and he's likely going to have a lot more minutes which will help his development + Team USA. Anderson should still be a pretty good pick up though.

Hooks
09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Here is a video of highlights from JA's Junior/Sophomore season, dude is a fucken beast! A lot of yall haven't seen this one as it was recently uploaded (Has 128 views):

S2Vf98a3lEQ

G-Dawgg
09-03-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm hoping that he has above-average athleticism for a shooting guard because he maybe out-matched physically, especially if Pop plays him at the 3, and will need to compensate somehow.

How are his ball-handling skills and ability to catch-and-shot? Who does he most resemble at the NBA level (past or present)?

I'd say Michael Dickerson IMO..

MI21
09-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I really like Eric Gordon's game. He can do a bit of everything and is a real bully with his strength. He is nice defensively as well. It's strange to have a guy that is such an athlete, is very strong, plays defense and has a nice 3pt stroke... his only downfall is his height.

I know nothing of Andersen seeing we don't get NCAA coverage in Australia, but if he is anything like a poor man's Gordon, I'd be happy.

Man In Black
09-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Anderson is going to be an offensive demon.. he has proven he can score in almost any way possible, and has good NBA size. There wasn't much teams could do to stop him from scoring in the NCAA and his game WILL translate well to the NBA because he is not undersized, his jumper is reliable and NBA ready and he has excellent athleticism.

Just wanted to point out that much of what you said above, sounds like much of what we heard about one Ron Mercer.

ffadicted
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I'd take Anderson right now based on future potential of both players

MI21
09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I'd take Anderson right now based on future potential of both players

Really?

Gordon is a future All-Star in my opinion... his only weakness is ball-handling and awkward size, some of which he makes up with brute strength and athleticism.

DrSteffo
09-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Eric Gordon > James Anderson > Roger Mason Jr

galvatron3000
09-04-2010, 07:52 AM
James Anderson looks to be a clone of Mitch Richmond with a bit more athleticism. If he can play defense as good as Mitch we have a bona fide superstar. If he is a smart player on both ends then I'm sold. If his defense is a problem he will struggle because of playing time.

Mr. Body
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
James Anderson looks to be a clone of Mitch Richmond with a bit more athleticism. If he can play defense as good as Mitch we have a bona fide superstar.

Good God, man.

remingtonbo2001
09-05-2010, 12:46 AM
If James Andeson shows good work ethic and manage to stay healthy, the Spurs should have a quality player on their hands.

As much fun as it is, it isn't fair to compare Anderson to another player when Anderson has yet to step out onto the hardwood.

Sean Cagney
09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Eric Gordon > James Anderson > Roger Mason Jr

Being above RMJ does not prove a whole lot the last year and a half mayne :depressed:lol

DrSteffo
09-05-2010, 03:15 AM
I know :) But chaz wanted us to keep RMJ and started a thread about it so he should be happy now.

DrSteffo
09-05-2010, 03:22 AM
BTW he also become the "number one poster" in that thread since he managed to post the highest number of posts in his own thread.

Lukor
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm curious how he will compare to Mavs draft pick Dominique Jones. They're both SG's but their game is quite different.

Johnny RIngo
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Good God, man.

And some people wonder why the NBA forum doesn't take gray Spurs fans seriously. We have takes like "Blair is going to be the next Barkley" and now James Anderson being a more athletic Mitch Richmond.

galvatron3000
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
And some people wonder why the NBA forum doesn't take gray Spurs fans seriously. We have takes like "Blair is going to be the next Barkley" and now James Anderson being a more athletic Mitch Richmond.

do any of you guys read, I said he looks to be a clone of Mitch. It's not in stone, I was making a comparison and he does have more athleticism than mitch from ALL the clips I've seen but his game looks similar on first view.

chazley
09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
lol so funny that people are still bitter that I completely annihilated all of Spurstalk in that RMJ thread. Get over it, let's stay on topic about this, lots of good posts in here so far.

kobyz
09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
to me he play exactly like Marcus Thornton but with more 2 inches, i see very similar style of scoring in them.

chazley
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
to me he play exactly like Marcus Thornton but with more 2 inches, i see very similar style of scoring in them.

If true, :downspin:

sexinthatsx
09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Lets face it guys, JA hasn't played a single game yet. Eric Gordon is a borderline all-star. To compare JA to Gordon right now is absolutely ludacris, no matter how die hard of a Spurs fan you are.

edit: I meant to spell ludicrous

TimmehC
09-08-2010, 04:42 PM

This seems like a more reasonable comparison. If it turns out to be accurate, we scored ourselves an excellent roleplayer.

chazley
09-09-2010, 02:12 AM
This seems like a more reasonable comparison. If it turns out to be accurate, we scored ourselves an excellent roleplayer.

Marcus Thornton has potential to be a building block for the Hornets.

I think the comparison is probably the best one.