View Full Version : Sudafed

Shelly
05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
HEB as of last week didn't require this, but Walgreens makes you take a card up to pharmacy and they'll pull if for you. And you can only buy two boxes at a time.

Damn meth labs ruined for everyone!

samikeyp
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
also make sure when you buy that stuff that it is not expired. The HEB at West ave and Blanco had 4 boxes of expired cold medicine on the shelf when I when there last week...it had expired in March. :wow

tlongII
05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
There are so many meth-heads in this part of the country it's ridiculous. Does San Antonio have much of a problem with them?

SWC Bonfire
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
When I first got out of school I worked for an oilfield service co. out in Bakersfield, CA. They called meth heads "tweekers". It was so bad there that one town near the oilfield (Taft, CA) was known as Tweeking All the Fucking Time.

The problem is increasing in Rural Texas, especially for fertilizer companies (anhydrous ammonia). Does anyone remember the stolen truck there in SA?

Sportcamper
05-19-2005, 05:02 PM
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/28/85/90m.jpg
The Salton Sea...
If You're Looking For The Truth, You've Come To The Wrong Place....

tlongII
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/28/85/90m.jpg
The Salton Sea...
If You're Looking For The Truth, You've Come To The Wrong Place....

All I see is a red "X".

Shelly
05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I didn't even see this on the front page of the Express-News until now...

Over-the-counter medicines are going behind the counter

Web Posted: 05/19/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Meena Thiruvengadam
Express-News Business Writer

It soon could be harder to snuff out a case of the sniffles.

Retailers are joining the fight against methamphetamine production, but in the process may inconvenience shoppers who just want relief.

A legal chemical used to make the illegal upper — pseudoephedrine — is the same one used to clear stuffy noses in popular over-the-counter products like Nyquil and Sudafed.

To reduce the problem, retailers like Target, CVS and Walgreens are joining legislators in making it harder to buy cold and allergy remedies by moving them behind pharmacy counters.

The move is similar to earlier retail restrictions on household items that can be abused, like glue, markers and spray paint.

In this case, the National Retail Federation expects restricting access to medicines will affect about 200 different products.

"We want to do our part to help law enforcement reduce the access to these products for people using them for illegal purposes," said Michael DeAngelis, a spokesman for CVS, which has 28 San Antonio-area stores.

Methamphetamine producers buy large amounts of pseudoephedrine products and add other chemicals in makeshift labs to produce meth.

Earlier this month, the Texas Senate approved a bill that would limit sales of pseudoephedrine products to two packages. The rule wouldn't apply to liquids, but would require stores to maintain sales logs and check purchaser IDs.

And only stores with pharmacies would be allowed to sell products containing pseudoephedrine, a move the National Association of Convenience Stores says casts their members in an undeserved bad light.

"It's treating them as the bad guys because they don't have pharmacies," said Lyle Beckwith, the group's senior vice president of government relations. "They're not the bad guys. The bad guys are the meth cooks."

He said moving pseudoephedrine-based products off convenience store shelves won't significantly affect stores' income. But consumer advocates worry honest buyers won't be able to find the medicines they need.

"If your pharmacy closes at 6 p.m. on a Saturday, and your child comes down with a cold and can't sleep after closing hours, you may be out of luck until Monday," Linda Suydam, president of the Consumer Healthcare Products Association, said when testifying to Congress last November.

By mid-July, Target plans to place pseudoephedrine-based products behind its pharmacy counters. Customers only will be able to buy them after consulting with a pharmacist and only during pharmacy hours. Target stores without pharmacies won't sell the products.

Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid and CVS are pledging similar measures set to begin this summer.

H.E. Butt Grocery Co. is taking an even more drastic step. The San Antonio-based chain will stop selling products whose only active ingredient is pseudoephedrine by June 20, spokeswoman Kate Rogers said.

Susan Dalterio, who teaches a course called Drugs and Society at UTSA, thinks the retailers' measures may stop small-scale meth makers but not larger operations.

"The guys out there making the pounds of methamphetamines probably don't buy their stuff from places like Wal-Mart," she said.

Still, an Oklahoma law restricting the sale of products containing pseudoephedrine has been credited with helping slow methamphetamine production in that state. Following in Oklahoma's footsteps, many states including Texas are considering similar legislation.

To keep products on store shelves, manufacturers are turning to an alternative decongestant ingredient: phenylephrine. Cold medicines formulated with the chemical have been sold in Europe for years. Here, it's used in nasal sprays including Rhinall and Vicks Sinex.

Pharmaceutical companies say the new chemical can't be converted into methamphetamine. But consumers using new formulations may have to wait longer for relief from their symptoms.

Pfizer Inc., the maker of Sudafed, began distributing a phenylephrine-based version of the popular cold medicine in January. H-E-B will begin selling Sudafed PE next month.

California-based Leiner Health Products, a manufacturer of store-brand over-the-counter medicines for retailers including CVS, Costco and Wal-Mart, plans to begin distributing a generic version of Sudafed PE in June.

Spokeswoman Crystal Wright said the company is working on phenylephrine-based generics of about a dozen products, including Benadryl and Actifed. Leiner expects the products will hit store shelves this fall.

[email protected]

As originally published this story contained an error.
Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA051905.1A.meth.28a6d0d56.html

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Nyquil is included in all of this bullshit?!?!?!

Oh, someone is going down......... :flipoff :cuss :hang :bang :makemyday :td

tlongII
05-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Those medicines are already behind the counter in Oregon.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Nyquil is included in all of this bullshit?!?!?!

Oh, someone is going down......... :flipoff :cuss :hang :bang :makemyday :td

Yes, the younger generation are using over the counter cold/flu medication to get high and to use in the production of Ice.

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Yes, the younger generation are using over the counter cold/flu medication to get high and to use in the production of Ice.

Wow...is that what all dem big words in dat article meant?! :wow :fro

Nyquil is the only thing I've ever found that even remotely helps me when I'm sick.

You can also sniff gas to get high. Are they considering putting that behind the counter, too?

Gatita
05-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Nyquil is the only thing I've ever found that even remotely helps me when I'm sick.

You can also sniff gas to get high. Are they considering putting that behind the counter, too?

You can sniff paint in a balloon or bag to get high. That is why they I.D. you when you buy that product.

This whole Meth issue has been in the news for a while. It is cheaper than crack and effecting all social classes. Even the "desperate housewives"!!! :lol

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
That's the first time I've heard Nyquil mentioned....and haven't really bothered to grab a bottle and check it's active ingredients.

Weed is also very inexpensive to grow your own. Are we going to get ID'd for buying potting soil (no pun intended) and black lights, too? And I guess water would be under there somewhere, too.

I think it's an extremely drastic measure that what? 99.9% of the population feel crappier longer so they can just stop those few idiots in their garages? I'm sure the majority of offenders that provide the bulk of the drug don't get their shit from HEB.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 06:53 PM

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 06:54 PM
yes?

Gatita
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM
That's the first time I've heard Nyquil mentioned....and haven't really bothered to grab a bottle and check it's active ingredients.

Weed is also very inexpensive to grow your own. Are we going to get ID'd for buying potting soil (no pun intended) and black lights, too? And I guess water would be under there somewhere, too.

I think it's an extremely drastic measure that what? 99.9% of the population feel crappier longer so they can just stop those few idiots in their garages? I'm sure the majority of offenders that provide the bulk of the drug don't get their shit from HEB.

You would be surprised. It isn't a few idiots. It is effecting all social classes. To say it is a few idiots, well, that is just ridiculous!! And yes, I am pretty sure they are getting at HEB, CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-mart. There is a reason they are putting behind lock and key.

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Just like making guns illegal would stop criminals from getting them, right?

timvp
05-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh hell no. How am I going to make syzzurp now?

:depressed

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Just like making guns illegal would stop criminals from getting them, right?

Good Lord woman where have you been!?! That is not the point. It is suppose to make it harder. Drugs will always be around, be manufactured. But, they aren't going to give them free reign to go out and buy the necessary ingredients to manufacture them.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Oh hell no. How am I going to make syzzurp now?

:depressed

Look Tim, please don't become a methhead... :lol

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Good Lord woman where have you been!?! That is not the point. It is suppose to make it harder. Drugs will always be around, be manufactured. But, they aren't going to give them free reign to go out and buy the necessary ingredients to manufacture them.

The only people I see being really hurt and inconvenienced by it are the ones using it for it's intended purpose.

And where've I been? Alamo Heights Little League and the NBA has owned me for the last 12 weeks.

Have we had daylight savings yet? :nerd

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:16 PM
The only people I see being really hurt and inconvenienced by it are the ones using it for it's intended purpose.

And where've I been? Alamo Heights Little League and the NBA has owned me for the last 12 weeks.

Have we had daylight savings yet? :nerd

Ay, mujer! We have to see the bigger picture. We don't like it, but to ask the pharmacist for it can't be an inconvenience if individuals, children are being spared their lives from the effects of drugs. The likely hood that someone in your neighborhood is hooked is likely and for you to think that it won't or hasn't happened is unfortunate.

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Ay, mujer! We have to see the bigger picture. We don't like it, but to ask the pharmacist for it can't be an inconvenience if individuals, children are being spared their lives from the effects of drugs. The likely hood that someone in your neighborhood is hooked is likely and for you to think that it won't or hasn't happened is unfortunate.

I know more about drugs, how they are made, where they come from, and how easily they can fuck up someone's life more than I could ever possibly care to...thanks. :)

By mid-July, Target plans to place pseudoephedrine-based products behind its pharmacy counters. Customers only will be able to buy them after consulting with a pharmacist and only during pharmacy hours. Target stores without pharmacies won't sell the products.
Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid and CVS are pledging similar measures set to begin this summer.

H.E. Butt Grocery Co. is taking an even more drastic step. The San Antonio-based chain will stop selling products whose only active ingredient is pseudoephedrine by June 20, spokeswoman Kate Rogers said.

I wasn't talking about having to go to the pharmacy to get them, I was talking about not being able to get them at all. I don't like not being able to get something that will help my child(ren) feel better as soon as possible. 2 days is an eternity when you have a high fever, swollen throat, achy body and a cough that won't stop.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I know more about drugs, how they are made, where they come from, and how easily they can fuck up someone's life more than I could ever possibly care to...thanks. :)

Sorry, to hear that.

I wasn't talking about having to go to the pharmacy to get them, I was talking about not being able to get them at all. I don't like not being able to get something that will help my child(ren) feel better as soon as possible. 2 days is an eternity when you have a high fever, swollen throat, achy body and a cough that won't stop.

That is true.
You can thank society for that. Drugs don't seem to be a big concern at this time, when it comes to politics. Many have felt that the war on drugs is over, that there is no point.

timvp
05-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Look Tim, please don't become a methhead... :lol

Click the link and get learned. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=syzzurp&defid=43020)

Not that I've engaged in such activities.

In the last six years.

:hat

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 07:46 PM
And another reason why I feel like this really isn't going to deter the meth-makers is think about it....just within a mile, mile and a half radius of my house there are 2 HEB's, a Walmart, a Walgreens and 2 CVS's--and that's just one little area of a very big city. Unless they are swiping your ID at the pharmacy and there is some record keeping system attached that says what you bought, how much, and when, what's really the deterent? Having to make a few extra stops?

If it's drugs in their blood and money in their pocket that's nothing, unfortunately.

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Click the link and get learned. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=syzzurp&defid=43020)

That sounds really delicious, timvp. :drunk :lmao

Spurbanana
05-19-2005, 07:50 PM
1. syzzurp
A drink made with cough syrup, jolly ranchers, sprite, and hennessy.

Sounds gross.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:56 PM
And another reason why I feel like this really isn't going to deter the meth-makers is think about it....just within a mile, mile and a half radius of my house there are 2 HEB's, a Walmart, a Walgreens and 2 CVS's--and that's just one little area of a very big city. Unless they are swiping your ID at the pharmacy and there is some record keeping system attached that says what you bought, how much, and when, what's really the deterent? Having to make a few extra stops?

If it's drugs in their blood and money in their pocket that's nothing, unfortunately.

Like I said Woman, it is a lost cause...unfortunately.

timvp
05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
That sounds really delicious, timvp. :drunk :lmao

It is to be served cold and in a baby bottle.

Disclaimer:
But for real do', it's not something that should be consumed by humans. People have died after drinking it. Do not try this at home. It F's you up for days.

Gatita
05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
It is to be served cold and in a baby bottle.

Disclaimer:
But for real do', it's not something that should be consumed by humans. People have died after drinking it. Do not try this at home. It F's you up for days.

Tim, we don't need you being a pusher around here. We have some people that are gullible. :lol

timvp
05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Don't worry. With these new provisions, the syzzurp will surely dry up around the country.

:shootme

Gatita
05-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Don't worry. With these new provisions, the syzzurp will surely dry up around the country.

Sure. :) Just like the "war on drugs". Nancy was right.

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Maybe you could just substitute the couch syrup with Listerine....or Aqua Velva....or are they on the shit-list, too?

:lol :vomit

Shelly
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
They didn't check my ID at Walgreens :cry

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
You didn't get carded for cough drops?!?! :cuss :lol :lol

Shelly
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
No! For Sudafed.

I guess I didn't look crack 'ho enough. Now if I had tried to buy it as soon as I woke up...

SpursWoman
05-19-2005, 09:13 PM
No! For Sudafed.

I guess I didn't look crack 'ho enough. Now if I had tried to buy it as soon as I woke up...

OMFG! YOMANK!! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Useruser666
05-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I guess I can't buy a years supply of Sudafed in advance anymore. DAMN!

Oh and by the way, this new policy is a bunch of bullshit.

Clandestino
05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
meth is what makes this country run! tons of truckers take it to stay awake! now, we will have more big rig accidents bc they will all be sleeping behind the wheel!

Sportcamper
05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Tlong...The Salton Sea is a very dark film about this topic starring Val Kilmer...I can’t say that I recommend it because it is a bit twisted & not for your average viewer... :smokin

Flea
05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
No! For Sudafed.

:lmao

Seriously, this totally irritates me. I have had to buy sudafed at the 24 hour walmart before because of sick kiddoes.