PDA

View Full Version : Could Kobe lead Amare and the Suns to a championship?

LeHeat_Dynasty
09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Apparently, Amare told the Suns to choose Nash over Kobe. In hindsight, based on how Nash and Kobe's career has turned out for the past 5 years, do you think Kobe & Amare would've been as successful as Kobe + Gasol?

Former Phoenix Suns star Amar'e Stoudemire returns, reflects

23 comments by Paul Coro - Sept. 1, 2010 10:27 PM
The Arizona Republic

Wednesday was like any early September day at US Airways Center the past eight years.

Always an early-summer arrival, Amar'e Stoudemire was working out in the training room, playing informal games with some Suns and leaving last after a rigorous individual session.

Even though he wore Suns shorts, he was just visiting an old home now that he's a member of the New York Knicks. It is a common open-door policy for NBA players to work out in opposing arenas, but Stoudemire did not expect to find a game to join, and he needed to borrow shorts.

slideshow Profile: Stoudemire | slideshow Amar'e's top Suns moments

Three months after signing a five-year, $99.7 million deal with New York, Stoudemire, who played eight years with Phoenix, said he is not used to his new life. But he has no hard feelings about his departure.

Managing Partner Robert Sarver offered him a five-year, $96.6 million contract with $56 million guaranteed and the rest kicking in if Stoudemire logged significant minutes in the third and fourth years.

"It was fair from Robert's standpoint," Stoudemire said. "I understand his concerns, which were injuries and health. There are no hard feelings at all. From a security standpoint for myself and with as much work as I put in on the court, I was after a greater goal. It was a fair offer from his standpoint. We still talk and have a good friendship.

"The greater goal was to have a sense of security. I didn't want a football deal (with some or all of the money non-guaranteed). I want a NBA deal. That's what I ended up getting."

Stoudemire said he had not heard of such a contract structure, which Sarver said required Stoudemire to play 2,200 minutes (26.8 minutes per game for 82 appearances) in each of the third and fourth years.

Stoudemire entered his first free agency with two priorities: staying in Phoenix and pursuing a championship. Picking New York was a step away from both.

"My goal is to do what I did here in Phoenix - to rebuild," Stoudemire said. "The year we traded Stephon (Marbury), Penny (Hardaway) and Googs (Tom Gugliotta), the next year we rebuilt.

"The question ownership asked to me was, 'Who do I want - Jason Kidd, Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant?' I said Steve. Over Kobe. At the time, Kobe had a reputation for being selfish and Steve was the ultimate point guard. I felt like that's what we needed. We had Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion. We just didn't have a PG to control tempo. Kidd was banged up after microfracture (knee surgery)."

Stoudemire, also a microfracture success story, had medical and training information shared with Knicks staff. He worked out on the court with New York assistant Phil Weber, who served on Mike D'Antoni's Suns staff.

When D'Antoni left for New York in 2008, Stoudemire criticized how little D'Antoni coached defense and talked to him.

"It definitely changed," Stoudemire said. "We communicate more. I'm more mature than I was at 22 or 23. Studying defense over the past couple years helped, and I'm a better defensive player. He's committed to it, but the main thing is for us as players to commit to it."

Stoudemire was a co-star ever since Nash's 2004 arrival but now has downgraded to Raymond Felton for his point guard.

"I was pretty good for the three years before we got Steve," Stoudemire said. "We're going to be OK. These young guys are not quite used to working hard. We're going to get them over the hump.

"We can be as good as we want to be. In order to be a great leader, you must follow first. I've been able to follow Steve, Grant Hill, Shaquille O'Neal and Penny. Now I feel it's time for me to lead these young guys to success."

hitmanyr2k
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
"It definitely changed," Stoudemire said. "We communicate more. I'm more mature than I was at 22 or 23. Studying defense over the past couple years helped, and I'm a better defensive player. He's committed to it, but the main thing is for us as players to commit to it."

http://hitmanyr2k.com/YoureOneDumbMF.jpg

Nahtanoj
09-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Gasol is better defensively, which says something about Amare's defense... and probably not if Pringles was coaching those teams?

Venti Quattro
09-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Stoudemire wouldn't be the $100 million player that he is now. Yeah Kobe can pass the ball but he is no Nash.