PDA

View Full Version : Miami homeless advocates refusing free LeBron James gear from Cleveland

Mel_13
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
By Kurt Helin

The homeless in Miami don't want your LeBron James gear.

Well, they may want it. We don't know. We do know that advocates for the homeless in Miami have been reticent to accept free LeBron James clothing.

Remember after LeBron James' decision there were LeBron jerseys being burned in the streets of Cleveland. So some thoughtful Clevelanders said "hey, let's collect this stuff and give it to the homeless in Miami." Which seemed to make a lot of sense.

Except the homeless advocates in Miami are refusing the stuff, according to the Broward Palm Beach New Times (via The Sporting News).

"It's on hold right now," says Rita Clark of the Miami Coalition for the Homeless. "There's a lot of politics around this."

The coalition had been in talks with the Cleveland do-gooders but ran into some resistance here in South Florida. Apparently, a marketing plan based on the concept of Here -- take a bunch of stuff we hate! wasn't particularly appealing. Clark says she heard that Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado was opposed to the donation plan.

"It seemed very well-intentioned, but it's not gonna happen right away," Clark says. "I'm trying to help them be better-received here in Miami."

Insert your own "apparently beggars can be choosers" joke here.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/miami-homeless-advocates-refusing-free-lebron-james-gear-from-cleveland.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Chieflion
09-05-2010, 12:16 PM
LMAO @ thoughtful Clevelanders. LeBron's jersey isn't worth crap to them now.

Cane
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Pretty shitty for the classless Dan Gilbert and the rest of the Clevelanders to support this since its basically shitting on homeless people; making them the butt of some kind of petty NBA joke.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Pretty shitty for the classless Dan Gilbert and the rest of the Clevelanders to support this since its basically shitting on homeless people; making them the butt of some kind of petty NBA joke.
Going by HarlemHeat logic Dan Gilbert is looking out for the homeless people and try to do them a favor

for the homeless :cry
Dan Gilbert, great fuckin humanitarian :cry

Koolaid_Man
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
By Kurt Helin

The homeless in Miami don't want your LeBron James gear.

Well, they may want it. We don't know. We do know that advocates for the homeless in Miami have been reticent to accept free LeBron James clothing.

Remember after LeBron James' decision there were LeBron jerseys being burned in the streets of Cleveland. So some thoughtful Clevelanders said "hey, let's collect this stuff and give it to the homeless in Miami." Which seemed to make a lot of sense.

Except the homeless advocates in Miami are refusing the stuff, according to the Broward Palm Beach New Times (via The Sporting News).

"It's on hold right now," says Rita Clark of the Miami Coalition for the Homeless. "There's a lot of politics around this."

The coalition had been in talks with the Cleveland do-gooders but ran into some resistance here in South Florida. Apparently, a marketing plan based on the concept of Here -- take a bunch of stuff we hate! wasn't particularly appealing. Clark says she heard that Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado was opposed to the donation plan.

"It seemed very well-intentioned, but it's not gonna happen right away," Clark says. "I'm trying to help them be better-received here in Miami."

Insert your own "apparently beggars can be choosers" joke here.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/miami-homeless-advocates-refusing-free-lebron-james-gear-from-cleveland.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

shit....give those fucking Jersey's and Hats to me...I know some street cleaning crews that could use some cleaning rags...:toast

Juanobili
09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
If I were a homeless person, I'd be pissed. This is definitely shitting on them. Just because they're homeless means they'll wear whatever is thrown at them?

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
:lol acting like people are trying to make homeless people wear disgusting or vulgar clothes. They should be happy with the clothes and I doubt they care what it is. This is not about the homeless, if it was, there are plenty of homeless people in CLE that could use the gear. No need to ship it to MIA.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Just because they're homeless means they'll wear whatever is thrown at them?
Um, yeah actually, it does, have you ever heard the expression "beggars can't be chosers" :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I'm sure the homeless would prefer a free meal at Red Lobster as oppose to the soup kitchen, but that's not really an available option.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't get why "if you were homeless" you would be pissed? It is perfectly good clothing that says nothing vulgar or distasteful and you could care less about basketball.

The homeless aren't the ones that are mad. It is the advocates for the MIA homeless. I would be pissed if I were them to. Why not just give the clothes to the CLE homeless? Why try to send a message and be petty using the homeless?

If I was homeless I would be pissed I was being used as a piece in some meaningless pissing match. The clothes are fine.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Why try to send a message and be petty using the homeless?
Lebron used the Boys and Girls club to be petty and send a message to Cleveland. This is not different at all. Dan Gilbert is doing something blatantly petty but gets to pull the, "Hey I'm just doing what I can to help the poor" card to make it acceptable.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Lebron used the Boys and Girls club to be petty and send a message to Cleveland. This is not different at all. Dan Gilbert is doing something blatantly petty but gets to pull the, "Hey I'm just doing what I can to help the poor" card to make it acceptable.

No. It's not the same. Lebron's thing gave money to an organization. Lots of money.

Like I said, is there no poor or homeless in CLE? That is the difference. Lebron did not blatantly do something like that.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:05 PM
No. It's not the same. Lebron's thing gave money to an organization. Lots of money.
So it's OK to use the homeless as an accessory during a pissing match as long as your giving money :lol.

lol improvising guidelines as to when it's acceptable to use the poor

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Like I said, is there no poor or homeless in CLE?
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Couldn't this same question be asked regarding why Lebron didn't chose a Cleveland charity organization?

Juanobili
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Um, yeah actually, it does, have you ever heard the expression "beggars can't be chosers" :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I'm sure the homeless would prefer a free meal at Red Lobster as oppose to the soup kitchen, but that's not really an available option.

even when they know they're being the butt of a big joke?

then what is this thread about? we wouldn't be talking in this thread if they gladly accepted what was thrown at them

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Couldn't this same question be asked regarding why Lebron didn't chose a Cleveland charity organization?

What? No, you are going Laker fan and missing the point. This is an obvious jab and not about the homeless. There are homeless people in CLE that could use the gear. Sending it to MIA makes no sense.

Donating money to a notable charity that is well known makes sense. You can't really question that. He did not choose some random charity in CLE just to make an obvious point.

Choosing the homeless, in MIA, where Lebron currently resides is trying to make a point.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:40 PM
So it's OK to use the homeless as an accessory during a pissing match as long as your giving money :lol.

lol improvising guidelines as to when it's acceptable to use the poor

Again missing the point. Giving money to a national organization for kids is not the same as saying "here homeless where Lebron plays, take this stuff we burn and piss on".

Why MIA? Why not CLE or another city? You can't ask that question about why the Boys & Girls club. There is no statement being made by donating to that organization.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:40 PM
even when they know they're being the butt of a big joke?

then what is this thread about? we wouldn't be talking in this thread if they gladly accepted what was thrown at them

Again, the homeless aren't complaining. It is the people of MIA who oversee this stuff that is complaining.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Dan Gilbert is just looking out for the homeless people of Miami he's supposed to look out for, no surprises here.

great fuckin humanitarian :cry

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Why MIA? Why not CLE or another city?
Dan Gilbert cares about the poverty stricken Miami areas and wants to do his part to help. I can't believe you're criticizing a man for wanting to help the homeless :cry

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Lebron made a statement to CLE by doing what he did on TV. The money to charity was not the point or the bull shit. That was separate.

This move by Gilbert is all about using the homeless to get back at Lebron when it does not make sense.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Dan Gilbert cares about the poverty stricken Miami areas and wants to do his part to help. I can't believe you're criticizing a man for wanting to help the homeless :cry

lol losing the argument and going back into troll mode.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:44 PM
IMO Dan Gilbert knows people in Cleveland probably don't wanna be wearing Lebron jerseys right now, while people in Miami do. He's just being the charitable man he is looking out for the homeless.

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Lebron made a statement to CLE by doing what he did on TV. The money to charity was not the point or the bull shit. That was separate.
No, Lebron donated the revenue to charity because that's what made the event acceptable in the public's eye. If Lebron donating money to charity was a separate thing he did on his own, he wouldn't need to announce it an national TV and receive gratification. He woulda just done it on his own and not cared about wanting credit for it.

I don't seriously think Dan Gilbert cares about a bunch of homeless Miami niggas, but :lmao if you seriously think Lebron gives two shits about poverty stricken NY youth.

Jt.ONE
09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Though it's obvious what's really going on here...
clothes are clothes, if i was homeless/poor, i'd take them shit

who cares if they're being joked at?
if someone offered you a million dollars but called you a bitch for taking it, are you not gonna take it?

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Again Laker fan, you are missing the point.

BRHornet45
09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Sons if the homeless in Miami aren't happy with the free clothes then they should get back on the raft that they came into Miami on. God bless

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:50 PM
What point am I missing Lebronfan?

Steve Kerr
09-05-2010, 01:58 PM
And truthfully it makes sense in a way to not give the Lebron jerseys to the Cleveland homeless. Wearing a Lebron jersey probably isn't the smartest thing to be doing in a Cleveland slum these days. The fact Gilbert chose Miami of all places makes his agenda pretty clear, but not wanting to give those jerseys to the Cleveland homeless makes sense.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 04:15 PM
This level of understanding and comparing the situation is sad.

DPG21920
09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
What? No, you are going Laker fan and missing the point. This is an obvious jab and not about the homeless. There are homeless people in CLE that could use the gear. Sending it to MIA makes no sense.

Donating money to a notable charity that is well known makes sense. You can't really question that. He did not choose some random charity in CLE just to make an obvious point.

Choosing the homeless, in MIA, where Lebron currently resides is trying to make a point.

Again missing the point. Giving money to a national organization for kids is not the same as saying "here homeless where Lebron plays, take this stuff we burn and piss on".

Why MIA? Why not CLE or another city? You can't ask that question about why the Boys & Girls club. There is no statement being made by donating to that organization.

09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
i want a free lebron cavs jersey. send it to me.

Jt.ONE
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Sons if the homeless in Miami aren't happy with the free clothes then they should get back on the raft that they came into Miami on. God bless

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
beggers cant be choosers

Jt.ONE
09-05-2010, 05:25 PM

TBH, what good is a lebron jersey in cleveland right about now?

Obstructed_View
09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Must be nice to be "homeless" in the USA, where you have so much stuff that you can refuse clothing.

Trainwreck2100
09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
The problem is they tried to go straight from Cleveland to Miami, they should have used a third city to act as some kind of clothes launderer.

Venti Quattro
09-06-2010, 12:27 AM
lol beggars can't be choosers

BRHornet45
09-06-2010, 12:30 AM
sons I say send them to Texas. it worked for us. I mean after all the AstroDome is just sitting there collecting dust anyways.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
09-06-2010, 08:22 AM
If Miami had just accepted the clothes, then burned them, no one would have known. This all would have blown over. Now it's a story to fuel the fire over the outcome of "The Decision", and will be around awhile, probably spawning more controversies. Remember, who pays attention to what homeless people wear besides other vagrants?

dbestpro
09-06-2010, 11:07 AM
The homeless did not refuse the clothes. the people who decide what the homeless gets refused the clothes. When you are cold you don't care where the clothes come from. Give me the clothes and I will send them to the handicap children in Brownsville, Texas. The school is always in a need of a change of clothes for the kids.

The arrogance of people who have never really suffered is truly amazing.

TheSullyMonster
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
When you are cold you don't care where the clothes come from.

Miami.