PDA

View Full Version : Books by MMA Fighters...

Stringer_Bell
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Out of curiousity, I began reading BJ Penn's biography, "Why I Fight." I was surprised at the quality, in the sense that it seemed like the book was written in his genuine voice...not that it can't be annoying or redundant, but it sounded he was actually talking to the reader about his journey in the MMA world. There was a co-author involved, but you can tell what sections he had an influence on (the UFC lawsuit and St-Pierre portions) toward the end of the book.

For those interested, if you can get past the parts where BJ paints himself as the hero of the world and the various contradictions he presents as his motivations, there's plenty of little brilliant moments that give you insight to what he's experienced over the last decade. As much shit as I've talked about BJ, I want to see him fight before his career is over because of the book. It's a real simple read, but every question I had about him was answered and explained...so I think it was a good use of time.

I'm not trying to start an Oprah Book Club or anything, but does anyone else recommend a certain MMA-inspired or authored book? Even if they aren't biographies, I know Forrest has some books out but I haven't heard much about them.

The TroutBum
09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I hate Penn with a passion, but I'll give it a go on your recommendation.

desflood
09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
"Little Evil: One Ultimate Fighter's Rise to the Top" is a book every mma fan should read, even those who aren't fans of Jens Pulver.

I liked Forrest's books - both were more comedy than biography. Decently funny, worth the time.

I also read Randy's book (so-so) and Tito's (somewhat boring). I haven't given Matt Hughes's a go for a couple of reasons: I don't like the guy much, and from what I've heard the book will make me like him even less.

Ignignokt
09-05-2010, 07:52 PM
mmgay fighters + books = :lmao

dbreiden83080
09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
mmgay fighters + books = :lmao

:rolleyes

Stringer_Bell
09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I hate Penn with a passion, but I'll give it a go on your recommendation.

Thanks! First third of th book drags on, but then he gets into all his fights, the politics amongst fighters, the lawsuits, GSP, and shit-talking about Dana/UFC :p:

Pulver seems like a real character, especially from the BJ book. I'll check it out, Des!

I would've thought anything about Tito would have been awesome. :(

The TroutBum
09-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I can't wait until Mir writes one. Pure beat-material.

cornbread
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Not a by modern MMA fighter but I did read Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do." It's a very cool book for anybody with a passion for martial arts. Considering the context for when it was written and published, it's amazing to see his diagrams of what he believed worked in kung fu, boxing, wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, etc. Very ahead of its time.

I wouldn't say it's the best "read" but definitely something fun to flip through.

I do remember reading "Inside the Lion's Den" by Ken Shamrock back in the day. The story is an interesting one mostly because it chronicles the rise of Shamrock and his camp during the time when people just trying to figure out how this whole thing works. One line in the book that always stood out to me was, "We don't do kata at the Lion's Den." Today excluding kata from training seems so obvious and logical but back then it was like, "WTF!? They don't do kata!?"

Phillip
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
lol mma

monosylab1k
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM
"Submission Moves: Extreme Anal Sex for Gay Lovers" by random mmgay fighter

dbreiden83080
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
"Submission Moves: Extreme Anal Sex for Gay Lovers" by random mmgay fighter

lol mma

You guys are in desperate need of new material...

dbreiden83080
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I have Tito's book but have not had time to read it yet

Supposed to be good..

The TroutBum
09-07-2010, 11:35 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f371/YummyBranFlakes/pain-pills.jpg

"How To Win Your MMA Fight" -- Karo Parisyan