PDA

View Full Version : Which is the Best Era for era?

mingus
09-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Magic/Bird Era
Michael Jordan Era
Duncan/Shaq Era

mingus
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
aight guys I fudged the title. Lmao! suposed to say "for you" damn iPhone.

DeadlyDynasty
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
well-worn territory...but Bird and Magic saved the NBA and we haven't seen any fierce rivalries since then.

Giuseppe
09-07-2010, 12:03 AM
This current era. The Championships are easier sought & accomplished. Too much misery in the Bird/Magic era. Too much failure in the Jordan era.

We've been given more than a fair shot & shake at it and we've taken what has been set before us. We've failed when we deserved it ('08) and we've succeeded when we deserved it ('09 & '10).

I was never content in the Bird/Magic era. Even in the victories. There was always self doubt & endless, lingering threat.

I'm content now: Gasol isn't Worthy. Fisher isn't Scott. They were leaky vessels, not sound of mind.

Kobe will never be Magic, but, he wants to go where Magic was at his zenith. Bryant wants to exist there, thrive and rule from that mound. Magic got there with his rear view mirror packed. Kobe will need to ride shotgun, and find peace there.

TheHeatIsOn
09-07-2010, 12:07 AM
The Best Days Are Ahead of Us!

midnightpulp
09-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Kobe will need to ride shotgun.

Story of his career.

ezau
09-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Duncan/ Shaq was the era of the great big men.

Jordan era was the era of the great wing player. This is also the time when the NBA became a global brand.

Magic/Bird is the most legendary and the most competitive era ever.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
09-07-2010, 02:51 AM
attitude era
http://www.panelsonpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wwf_attitude.gif

Ashy Larry
09-07-2010, 04:34 AM

Jordan era was the era of the great wing player. This is also the time when the NBA became a global brand.

the best era

Darrin
09-07-2010, 04:42 AM

It's amazing because there was so much made about how the big guys no longer play down-low when they first came out of High School. That was true for a time, but consider what surrounded Shaq and Duncan--Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Ben Wallace, Chris Webber, Yao Ming, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Kenyon Martin--all of them have been questioned as big men and their toughness at one time or another.

ezau
09-07-2010, 06:26 AM
It's amazing because there was so much made about how the big guys no longer play down-low when they first came out of High School. That was true for a time, but consider what surrounded Shaq and Duncan--Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Ben Wallace, Chris Webber, Yao Ming, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Kenyon Martin--all of them have been questioned as big men and their toughness at one time or another.

Ben Wallace? You sure that he's not tough? I mean he isn't big as in big, but prime Ben was a monster defensively.

ezau
09-07-2010, 06:27 AM
I wonder what the Lebron/Wade/Durant era will be called

Darrin
09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Ben Wallace? You sure that he's not tough? I mean he isn't big as in big, but prime Ben was a monster defensively.

He was questioned for his effectiveness in Orlando and Washington. Orlando thought he would be no better than Bo Outlaw (and they chose to re-sign Outlaw in the summer of 2000).

HeatBurn305
09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
This current era. The Championships are easier sought & accomplished. Too much misery in the Bird/Magic era. Too much failure in the Jordan era.

We've been given more than a fair shot & shake at it and we've taken what has been set before us. We've failed when we deserved it ('08) and we've succeeded when we deserved it ('09 & '10).

I was never content in the Bird/Magic era. Even in the victories. There was always self doubt & endless, lingering threat.

I'm content now: Gasol isn't Worthy. Fisher isn't Scott. They were leaky vessels, not sound of mind.

Kobe will never be Magic, but, he wants to go where Magic was at his zenith. Bryant wants to exist there, thrive and rule from that mound. Magic got there with his rear view mirror packed. Kobe will need to ride shotgun, and find peace there.

Believe me, 'Ol Hubby knows the feeling....

It was twixt four summers ago where we built a shoestore in the Dallas franchise and brought home #1. I was so happy that midsummer's Eve. Ol Kathy girl was tellin me to go to bed, nar I say, I stayed up the whole night watching the Tivo'ed edition.

And you know what's worse? I made her like it, that darned fool her.

Let us proceed....

lebomb
09-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Between the Celtics and Lakers :rolleyes .................. it sucked ass for the rest of us. I personally got tired of seeing just those two win it.

I like the current era, where there is more parity.

Giuseppe
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Believe me, 'Ol Hubby knows the feeling....

It was twixt four summers ago where we built a shoestore in the Dallas franchise and brought home #1. I was so happy that midsummer's Eve. Ol Kathy girl was tellin me to go to bed, nar I say, I stayed up the whole night watching the Tivo'ed edition.

And you know what's worse? I made her like it, that darned fool her.

Let us proceed....

1 too many >.<'s after (Let us proceed).

tee, hee.

It'll never end.

Venti Quattro
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Between the Celtics and Lakers :rolleyes .................. it sucked ass for the rest of us. I personally got tired of seeing just those two win it.

80's era: Lakers 5 rings, Celtics 3 rings

90's era: Bulls 6 rings, Rockets, 2 rings

00's era: Lakers 4 rings, Spurs 3 rings

Can we say there's more parity? Nope.

DAF86
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Clay Buchholz's ERA.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
The 70's were dull in a way, but still very interesting. And there was parity. No team won back to back, no team won more than 2 titles. No team of the decade for the 70's.

Willis Reed and the Knicks had a short run as one of the greatest collections of talent in NBA history and won two titles.
Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Julius Erving, Moses Malone, and George Gervin came into the league and dazzled us all.
Jerry West won his first ring and the Lakers won 33 games in a row.
The Celtics rebuilt and won two titles.
The ABA and NBA merged, collecting all talent in one league.
Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas were an unstoppable front court in 1977, Lucas is why we use the term "Power Forward".
It was the last of the days when most teams started centers under 6'10", forwards at 6'5" and 6'7", and guards at 6'1" and 6'3".
The days of the common 6'4" swingman bench player ended, a player who could and did play guard or forward.
And then that 1979 NCAA finals game between Michigan State and Indiana State set the stage for the Bird/Magic era that began when the 70's decade closed.

21_Blessings
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

The Kobe/Bynum era.

Giuseppe
09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
^----------"every chamber filled!!!!!!!!!"----------^

lebomb
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
80's era: Lakers 5 rings, Celtics 3 rings

90's era: Bulls 6 rings, Rockets, 2 rings

00's era: Lakers 4 rings, Spurs 3 rings

Can we say there's more parity? Nope.

Yes we can..............in the 80's the Lakers and Celtics faced each other in most of those titles.

In the 90's, the Bulls faced Phoenix and Utah. The rockets faced Orlando.

In the 00's the Lakers faced Boston (again)..........but the Spurs faced several different teams in New Jersey, Detroit, and Cleveland. While Miami also was in the mix with a championship.

Clearly the 80's had the least parity of teams being even involved in the championship.

:wakeup

Ghazi
09-07-2010, 02:03 PM
crucify em / tree of woe

kobe 5
duncan 3.5
shaq 3

21_Blessings
09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
crucify em / tree of woe

kobe 5
duncan 3.5
shaq 3

Dirk 1

Basketballgirl25
09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
The best Era, the day the NBA becomes good again. I've found the NBA going down hill since 2005, it keeps getting worse and worse, they need a lockout like Hockey had:toast

Koolaid_Man
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM

The official Kobe's Bitches Era...:lol

ezau
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM

As a Spurs fan, of course I would pick the Duncan/Shaq era no question about it. But overall, the drama and competitiveness of the Magic/Bird era was legendary.

ezau
09-07-2010, 09:06 PM
The Robin/Bynum era.

fify

ezau
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The official Kobe's Bitches Era...:lol

There is a reason why there are no movies for Robin, it's always about Batman:toast

Venti Quattro
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
fify

There is a reason why there are no movies for Robin, it's always about Batman:toast

What are you talking about? Robin took his talents to South Beach.

dallaskd
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
The best Era, the day the NBA becomes good again. I've found the NBA going down hill since 2005, it keeps getting worse and worse, they need a lockout like Hockey had:toast

cause the lockout did wonders for the NHL..

Koolaid_Man
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Luva hook me up with an apocalypse title thread so i can give the board a new vision never before seen...

ezau
09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
What are you talking about? Robin took his talents to South Beach.

Wrong. Robin waited for Batman 2.0, who came from Memphis via the Stern train.

mingus
09-08-2010, 02:17 AM
let's stay on track guys. we're here to discuss eras, not periods (ie the bad boy period, the Hakeem period, the Kobe period). Maybe someday Kobe will have an era named after him, though.

BadOdor
09-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Wrong. Robin waited for Batman 2.0, who came from Memphis via the Stern train.

Sons, you grey named spur fan better calm yourself before your dead wife's eye socket gets fucked again.

lol dead wife.

Giuseppe
09-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Maybe someday Kobe will have an era named after him, though.

I'm just relieved for those 6 last second game winners he executed last season. Otherwise we'd a ended up in MA. for those last two games, and it'd be topsy turvy now. You all topsy, us turvy.

ezau
09-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Sons, you grey named spur fan better calm yourself before your dead wife's eye socket gets fucked again.

lol dead wife.

:lmao:lmao:lmao at a grey named Laker fan talking shit, tee hee.

Killakobe81
09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
1. Shaq had an era? I don't know if 4 partially dominant years constitutes an "era" ....
2. The Lakers/Celtics in the 80's is the best "era" ...I know it was Magi/Bird in front but they had great supporting casts.

washingtonwizard
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
John Wall Era

Basketballgirl25
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
cause the lockout did wonders for the NHL..

it did, at least, it's more exciting to watch then NBA these days, I'm sorry if you like to see the Lakers or Celtics win every year, by all means if you like seeing that it is good. I'd like to see more other teams win, like say maybe Thunder one year, Magic next, Spurs next, Dallas, different teams each year, instead of same boring teams:toast