PDA

View Full Version : Splitter played injured against Argentina

Spurs Brazil
09-08-2010, 07:37 AM
UOL Esporte is reporting Spliter got injured in the game against Croatia, the one he played only 16 minutes.
He has a strain right quad. In the beginning of training camp he had the same injury but on the left quad. Brazilian doctor Carlos Andreoli confirmed the report

Here’s the link in Portuguese: http://esporte.uol.com.br/basquete/mundial-basquete/ultimas-noticias/2010/09/08/brasil-escondeu-contusao-de-tiago-splitter-no-jogo-contra-eslovenia.jhtm

Brazil
09-08-2010, 07:39 AM
here we go...

Manu-of-steel
09-08-2010, 07:50 AM
I hope its not a major injury.

ThaBigFundamental21
09-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Seriously? What is the deal? Splitter signed an NBA deal, and should not focus on the international game, but the NBA game. It's to early to already be having injuries.

admiralsnackbar
09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
It's going to be a tough rookie season for him considering he's gotten no rest all summer and is likely expected to shoulder the most minutes among our bigs if the goal is to keep Tim fresh.

diego
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
a professional athlete with a strained muscle! NOOOO! why us poor spur fans, this doesnt happen to anyone else! why play the WC, this wouldnt have happened anywhere else! the season is officially lost!

lefty
09-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Can't be worse than Barbosa being on the court

Flux451
09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Valiant effort by Splitter

yavozerb
09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
from sportsinjuryclinic.net

Tears to the quadriceps muscles usually occur following an activity such as sprinting, jumping or kicking. Any of these muscles can strain (or tear) but probably the most common is the Rectus femoris. This is because it is the only one of the four muscles which crosses both the hip and knee joints. This make it more susceptible to injury. The most common site of injury is around the musculotendinous junction (where the muscle becomes tendon), just above the knee.

Injuries that occur following a direct impact to the muscle, such as being hit by a ball or other hard object, are more likely to be contusions and should be treated slightly differently.

Muscle strains are graded 1, 2 or 3 depending on the severity of the damage. It is important you understand what grade of injury you have suffered to be able to treat it appropriately.

Grade 1 thigh strain:
What are the symptoms?

A twinge in the thigh is usually felt.
A general feeling of tightness in the thigh.
Mild discomfort on walking.
Probably no swelling.
Trying to straighten the knee against resistance may be uncomfortable > Play video
An area of local spasm may be felt at the site of the suspected tear.
What can the athlete do about it?

Apply the R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevation) procedure for the first 24 hours.
Apply cold therapy as soon as possible and every 2-3 hours.
Use a compression bandage until you feel no pain.
Rest for at least 72 hours before commencing light training
If there is no pain, continue with training.
See a sports injury professional.

- I am assuming it is grade 1 since he was able to play in the game. I really do not think this injury will be an issue by the time practices start.

cantthinkofanything
09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
from sportsinjuryclinic.net

Tears to the quadriceps muscles usually occur following an activity such as sprinting, jumping or kicking. Any of these muscles can strain (or tear) but probably the most common is the Rectus femoris. This is because it is the only one of the four muscles which crosses both the hip and knee joints. This make it more susceptible to injury. The most common site of injury is around the musculotendinous junction (where the muscle becomes tendon), just above the knee.

Injuries that occur following a direct impact to the muscle, such as being hit by a ball or other hard object, are more likely to be contusions and should be treated slightly differently.

Muscle strains are graded 1, 2 or 3 depending on the severity of the damage. It is important you understand what grade of injury you have suffered to be able to treat it appropriately.

Grade 1 thigh strain:
What are the symptoms?

A twinge in the thigh is usually felt.
A general feeling of tightness in the thigh.
Mild discomfort on walking.
Probably no swelling.
Trying to straighten the knee against resistance may be uncomfortable > Play video
An area of local spasm may be felt at the site of the suspected tear.
What can the athlete do about it?

Apply the R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, elevation) procedure for the first 24 hours.
Apply cold therapy as soon as possible and every 2-3 hours.
Use a compression bandage until you feel no pain.
Rest for at least 72 hours before commencing light training
If there is no pain, continue with training.
See a sports injury professional.

- I am assuming it is grade 1 since he was able to play in the game. I really do not think this injury will be an issue by the time practices start.

Thanks for the information. You seem to be pretty knowledgable. Do you think by compensating for the quad injury, Tiago could have caused more severe injuries like either a distended patella or sprained femur?

yavozerb
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the information. You seem to be pretty knowledgable. Do you think by compensating for the quad injury, Tiago could have caused more severe injuries like either a distended patella or sprained femur?

I really cannot answer cause I was unable to watch the game to see how well he moved around. It sounds like he moved around pretty well cause nobody even mentioned he might be injured until this article was published. I really do believe it is very minor injury. I have to say though I am no MD,so please do not hold me to any of this...

cantthinkofanything
09-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I really cannot answer cause I was unable to watch the game to see how well he moved around. It sounds like he moved around pretty well cause nobody even mentioned he might be injured until this article was published. I really do believe it is very minor injury. I have to say though I am no MD,so please do not hold me to any of this...

I still haven't seem him play yet aside from a short video or two. Guess I'm just waiting to see how he does against NBA competition. In any event, I'm glad Brazil is out so he can heal.

Em-City
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
quad strain = nothing serious, just needs to rests a week... if he'd torn his quad, then i'd be concerned

yavozerb
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I still haven't seem him play yet aside from a short video or two. Guess I'm just waiting to see how he does against NBA competition. In any event, I'm glad Brazil is out so he can heal.

quad strain = nothing serious, just needs to rests a week... if he'd torn his quad, then i'd be concerned

Agree with both you guys. This Brazil team is nothing special so the more rest Tiago can recieve the better.

silverblackfan
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Explains why he didn't start the game, I suppose. The coach was trying to manage his minutes?

Spurs Brazil
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Explains why he didn't start the game, I suppose. The coach was trying to manage his minutes?

That was the report from ESPN here in Brazil. Doctor said it was nothing major so he cleared him to play

jason1301
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
i said this from day1, there is no doubt splitter can play in the NBA. But can he take the wear and tear of an 82+ game season? Thats my main concern.

Dex
09-08-2010, 04:25 PM
That's the concern for any NBA rookie. No other league plays that many games.

Baseball says hello.

Then again, those guys spend.three-quarters of the game standing in a field or sitting in a dugout.

EricB
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Baseball says hello.

Then again, those guys spend.three-quarters of the game standing in a field or sitting in a dugout.

I think he means other basketball leagues...

J_Paco
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
From what Bruno has stated in the past, Splitter is susceptible to minor injuries. I'm concerned about his durability and whether he'll hold up for the entire season, too. I believe Pop is going to have to work him in slower than many of us would like. I'm fine with that if it means he doesn't fall victim to a serious injury.

Libri
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think this will set him back. I remember when he got injured last season in the Spanish League. He came back with a vengeance and put up impressive stats.

jason1301
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
That's the concern for any NBA rookie. No other league plays that many games.

Yes and No, that's not much of a concern for guys from college. In my opinion it applies more to players from Europe as they are not as athletic (in general), and in splitter's case injury prone.

Man In Black
09-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Damn, a quad strain. Not a quad tear. If anything, it's an ACE Bandage wrap job while playing, and icing before the game and particularly after. That strain, assuming it's a grade 1 and it seems that way because he played pretty aggressively against ARG, is a 1 to 2 week timetable with RICE and a physical therapist to keep the muscle fibers in check. Even without the therapist, the guy would be able to play in 2 weeks. So...no big deal.

Mel_13
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
All the more reason we needed to sign SHAQ, Splitter gets injuried at the same rate Manu does, Hes likely to miss some game this year.

lol 38 year old Snaq as injury insurance.

FYI, over the last 5 seasons Manu has played in 333 games while Snaq has played in only 288. Snaq has missed at least 20 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

DPG21920
09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
lol

dbreiden83080
09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
This international play will be the death of the NBA

I hate it..

dbreiden83080
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Seriously? What is the deal? Splitter signed an NBA deal, and should not focus on the international game, but the NBA game. It's to early to already be having injuries.

To me it is the biggest joke they are allowed to play at all.. If they're contract stated "They would lose all their money or even half of it" if they get hurt in these games

Nobody would ever play in them..

Lukor
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
You guys clearly aren't patriots.

dbreiden83080
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
You guys clearly aren't patriots.

It's a basketball game

Not a war..

Em-City
09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
It's a basketball game