PDA

View Full Version : Milos Teodosic

ezau
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Any chance we can get this guy? I know we're already loaded in the SG spot, but he has solid handles, superb shooting, and is very, very clutch. His downside is his lack of athleticism but skillwise, he's obviously above-average.

Mal
09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
He`s true point guard, and no Spurs cant get him, for next 2-3 years for sure.

kobyz
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
how this guy didn't got drafted? he was big talent even when he was very young!

bbarry
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Every player seems like an allstar when they playing in FIBA/int'l competition... see Delfino, Arroyo, etc etc.

Mel_13
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Every team in the NBA passed on him when he was available to be drafted. That says something.

At any rate, he's under contract with Olympiacos until 2012 so not much to talk about now.

EduRiker
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
And he isnt playing very well lately, mind you. He plays much better with his club.

Pistons < Spurs
10-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Don't how how good of a sources this is, but saw it posted on the Hoopshype daily news section:

The San Antonio Spurs are interested in the 23-year-old Serbian combo-guard Miloš Teodosić, currently playing for Olympiacos. The Vice-president of the Spurs, Dennis Lindsey, attended an Olympiacos game in Athens to watch Teodosić on the court. The Serbian player, though, has told on many occasions that the NBA "is not for him"

Teodosić, named Euroleague player of the 2009-10 season, played for the Serbian national team in the last World Championship, averaging 11.3 points and 5.6 assists per game.

http://thehoopsmarket.com/news/san-antonio-spurs,-interested-in-milo%C5%A1-teodosi%C4%87-(1).aspx

Pauleta14
10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't how how good of a sources this is, but saw it posted on the Hoopshype daily news section:

http://thehoopsmarket.com/news/san-antonio-spurs,-interested-in-milo%C5%A1-teodosi%C4%87-(1).aspx (http://thehoopsmarket.com/news/san-antonio-spurs,-interested-in-milo%C5%A1-teodosi%C4%87-%281%29.aspx)

I've seen it on a french website too...

http://www.basketusa.com/news/47405/les-spurs-interesses-par-milos-teodosic/

I'm not sure though that he fits the NBA style of play, but he is by far the best PG in europe...

GSH
10-24-2010, 01:28 PM
He's been pretty open about saying that he doesn't want to play in the NBA. I've heard different reasons why being tossed around, but he was pretty clear about his intentions.

At the risk of raising the ghost of KillBillPana, he seems like less of a fit for the NBA than Spanoulis. Regardless of his skills, if he doesn't want to be here...?

Bruno
10-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm always cautious with this kind of reports. While Lindsey was likely at the game, The fact that it was at that game to scout Teodosic sounds more like a writer's speculation. Lindsey could be at that game to watch another player(s) like a young guy for future drafts or Spatula (j/k).

Teodosic is a heck of a player. He is an awesome offensive player (pick and roll, shooting, passing game..). Even if he is the kind of slow paced euro guards that rarely succeed in NBA, he is so talented that he deserves a shot providing he isn't too expensive. Teodosic is also a little crazy, it could be fun to see Pop dealing with him.

GSH
10-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm always cautious with this kind of reports. While Lindsey was likely at the game, The fact that it was at that game to scout Teodosic sounds more like a writer's speculation. Lindsey could be at that game to watch another player(s) like a young guy for future drafts or Spatula (j/k).

Teodosic is a heck of a player. He is an awesome offensive player (pick and roll, shooting, passing game..). Even if he is the kind of slow paced euro guards that rarely succeed in NBA, he is so talented that he deserves a shot providing he isn't too expensive. Teodosic is also a little crazy, it could be fun to see Pop dealing with him.

But the reports that he doesn't want to play in the NBA are accurate, aren't they? Or was something taken out of context? I agree that he's got skills, but I was surprised that the Spurs would be trying to change his mind about playing here at all.

[Edit: Also, I thought we had Nando DeColo in the pipeline? Are we planning on going with all combo-guards? With Teodosic, DeColo, and Temple we would have an unusual group of 1-2 players. Maybe Pop is planning on going big while playing small ball?]

Bruno
10-24-2010, 01:50 PM
But the reports that he doesn't want to play in the NBA are accurate, aren't they? Or was something taken out of context? I agree that he's got skills, but I was surprised that the Spurs would be trying to change his mind about playing here at all.

[Edit: Also, I thought we had Nando DeColo in the pipeline?]

I've seen contracting reports regarding Teodosic and the NBA. Greek league is a disaster with a lot of violence, strikes and teams bankrupts. He could want to get the hell out of that.

And Teodosic is way better than De Colo.

robot89
10-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Would it be for this season??
whats his buy out situation?

GSH
10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
And Teodosic is way better than De Colo.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I believe you - I'm just surprised. I got the impression that the Greeks liked him, but didn't love him. I may have jumped to some bad conclusions.

I guess I've gotten pretty skeptical about anyone that has the label of "combo guard". Most of the time it means someone that doesn't have great play-making skills, but also doesn't have a great 3-P stroke. Their agents always try to sell them as the best of both worlds. But on the court, most of them are just the opposite. And most of them are very offense-oriented, without much interest in what happens on the other end of the floor. Since they are usually missing some part of their game, I think a successful combo guard has to be a pretty good defender.

I'm going to have to admit to some of my own bias. When I read the reports about him not wanting to come to the NBA, I decided that he probably wouldn't have the fire to compete here, especially on defense. There are a lot of other reasons why a player might not want to come here.

I love the idea of haing a 6'5" guy who can run the point, to play along with Hill. I keep hoping that Temple can develop enough to stick, for just that reason. Teodosic would fit that mold too.

Bruno
10-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Teodosic isn't a combo guard. He is a PG.

GSH
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Teodosic isn't a combo guard. He is a PG.

Mmmm... okay. He's spent a lot of time playing at the 2. I've heard him referred to as a combo guard, and read it in articles. Maybe that's just because he isn't always running the point? I didn't follow him this last season. Was he a full-time point? I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand. Are you saying he's a natural PG who played a lot of SG because the team already had a PG?

I know I didn't make that up. I'm sure I could find a lot of references. I just pulled up the first article I could find, which was Draft Express:

Feb. 2008 - "In this context, Teodosic hasn’t been able to provide consistent leadership from the point guard position. First, because he rarely played as a real playmaker, but more as a combo guard, therefore not being able to completely take over the control of his team’s offense"

Jan 2008 - Teodosic played both guard positions, meaning he wasn’t handling the ball as much as probably might have liked. But he stayed nicely active moving without the ball, which provided him with production in the form of a lay-up and a pass off a strong cut. With the ball in his hands, if he doesn’t settle for a long-range shot, he usually utilizes screens, trying to gain advantages, to provoke mismatches, in order to attack the rim or find a good passing angle. He got all the way to the basket a couple of times and showed nice use of his body to gain room in order to finish around the rim. He’s a rather strong guy, obviously a lot bigger than your typical point guard. Milos also had the chance to feed cutters and even through traffic, showing once again his excellent court vision. Given the fact that he didn’t play the point with continuity, we couldn’t really enjoy his control of the game tempo.

Now the bad. Milos badly needs his teammates to operate with the ball. He needs them to set screens for him and work off the dribble, because he clearly struggles to beat his opponent in pure one-on-one settings. He is just not quick enough. It gets worse on defense, where he can’t hold his own against anybody with some quickness to attack him. At least with his size he has less trouble switching defensive assignments, and it’s easier for him to contest shots.

Bruno
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Mmmm... okay. He's spent a lot of time playing at the 2. I've heard him referred to as a combo guard, and read it in articles.

Teodosic has improved a lot since 2008 and his role has also changed a lot since that. In 08, Teodosic was a bench player. Last year, he was Olympiakos' starting PG and won the Euroleague MVP title. Teodosic has all the skills a PG need, think at him like a slower version of Nash.

Kobayagi
10-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Imo teodosic is the pest PG in Europe at the moment.

GSH
10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Teodosic has improved a lot since 2008 and his role has also changed a lot since that. In 08, Teodosic was a bench player. Last year, he was Olympiakos' starting PG and won the Euroleague MVP title. Teodosic has all the skills a PG need, think at him like a slower version of Nash.

Thanks. I just lost track of him.

The one thing I do know about him is he comes up big under pressure. He wasn't known for being a great pure shooter (at least a couple of years ago) but when his team needed a 3 at the end of the game, he could step out and drain one. He would also have big games against the good teams, or against other good players who were supposed to give him trouble. That's a quality that some players seem to have, that probably can't be coached.

He also had a bit of a hot temper. I always thought it was just from being a tough competitor, but you say he's a little bit crazy. I don't think that's a bad thing, as long as he's not a total head case. I think it's good to have a guy who really, really hates losing.

If he'll play defense, a 6'5" slower-version-of-Nash sounds pretty good. I've been impressed with several of the Euro point guards that have come into the NBA in the last couple of seasons. If Tony ultimately goes elsewhere, we would probably be very lucky to sign him.

ChuckD
10-24-2010, 04:11 PM

I'm going to think of him not being a Spur. He's under contract until 2012.

Mal
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Teodosic is way better then Dragic, way better then Calderon was before he went to NBA, not mention De Colo. He is under contract with buyout aroung zillion dollars, so he wouldnt come to SA or NBA in nearest future. He is still developing, he showed on World Championship that he is a true leader. He would be a great pick up for Spurs.

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM
how old is this guy and hes not in the nba yet wow? i watched him during the fiba games, lights out

dunkman
10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
For some reason 6'6" PG's seldom have success in the NBA. That being said Teo is phenomenal player. I don't think he's so slow or liability on defense. The Rockets tried to sign him for this season. But if I recall right he re-negotiated his contract with Olympiakos since then, with much higher buyout.

tuncaboylu
10-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Jasikevicius couldn't be good at playing NBA and he was one of the best PG of the Europe in last 20 years.

Theosodosic is a very good player but I don't think that he would be a great player in NBA.

temujin
10-25-2010, 07:45 AM
I also heard Teodosic has little intention to play in the NBA.

The plus for the Spurs is that they have a coach of Serbian origins.

GSH
10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Jasikevicius couldn't be good at playing NBA and he was one of the best PG of the Europe in last 20 years.

Theosodosic is a very good player but I don't think that he would be a great player in NBA.

In all fairness, some of the Euro players who haven't done well in the NBA were unfortunate to land in some bad situations. Jasikevicius went to the Pacers, the first season after the Malice in the Palace. I'm not sure there has ever been a team in worse disarray. They had a lot of talent, but a bunch of selfish, angry players. They didn't even try to play together as a team, and they barely managed to finish .500 for the season. The next season he got packaged in a trade to Golden State. The Warriors were running that wild-assed, wide-open offense and Don Nelson had Baron Davis playing almost the whole game. Jasikevicius never had a chance.

He may not have come in as a top-tier PG, but I think he was better than he got credit for. His numbers weren't that bad for the limited minutes he got. If he had gone to a different team, I think the outcome would have been different. Much as I hate to say it, the same is probably true for Spanoulis.

Jasikevicius won the Euroleague title with three different teams. That's no coincidence - and he played a major role on all three teams. I don't think it's fair to say that he couldn't have succeeded in the NBA.

Mal
10-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Sarunas was pretty old when he went to NBA. He didn`t adapt to condition, because he was/is an old school playmaker. Teodosic is diffrent

playblair
06-24-2016, 11:05 PM

Chinook
06-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Neither team wants him.

Texas_Ranger
06-25-2016, 01:39 AM
he's better than Parker

palangi
06-25-2016, 01:45 AM
he's better than Parker
That's not saying much anymore.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Neither team wants him.

Yeah, nobody wants one of Euroleague's best players comming of the bench. 40 YO Manu and broken Parker are just fine.

Raven
06-25-2016, 08:14 AM
he's not nba material.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 08:17 AM
he's not nba material.

Why?

Raven
06-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Why?

too slow.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Maybe he is slow, but is sure faster than broken Parker now. Also, he is 6'5 without shoes. Value for money is great in his case.

Chinook
06-25-2016, 09:01 AM
It's not.

Raven
06-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Maybe he is slow, but is sure faster than broken Parker now. Also, he is 6'5 without shoes. Value for money is great in his case.

he really isn't. i mean, i love the player, always have, but some players are just not made for nba style, it doesn't make him any worse because of that.

elemento
06-25-2016, 09:53 AM
The problem is that he is a star in Europe. Would he accept a lesser role to play in the NBA? We all saw what happened to Nando.

I would easily welcome him off the bench. To me he is the best PG in Europe. As long he is not guarding starting PGs in the NBA, he will be fine.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 10:08 AM
he really isn't. i mean, i love the player, always have, but some players are just not made for nba style, it doesn't make him any worse because of that.

You are right that he probably isn't for the NBA, but if he takes the spot of Andre Miller or Bonner on the roster, who would care? If the Spurs gave Austin Daye and Jimmer a chance why they wouldn't give him? Try him out like Boban for a year, maybe he can help.

Raven
06-25-2016, 10:38 AM
You are right that he probably isn't for the NBA, but if he takes the spot of Andre Miller or Bonner on the roster, who would care? If the Spurs gave Austin Daye and Jimmer a chance why they wouldn't give him? Try him out like Boban for a year, maybe he can help.
he would take space from young players but i see your point.

dbestpro
06-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Why?

He plays defense.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-25-2016, 11:35 AM

He won't sign for the min.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 12:48 PM
He plays defense.

Like Jimmer, Parker, Miller and Bonner play defense.

TheMulletMan3000
06-25-2016, 12:49 PM
He won't sign for the min.

I can see him going the Boban path regarding his contract with Spurs.