PDA

View Full Version : When you are the hammer everything looks like a nail...

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
EfH46DTAkxo

A Tennessee middle school football coach said he got fired after he wrote a song that criticized President Obama.

Bryan Glover, an assistant coach at Grassland Middle School near Nashville, co-wrote the country music song,

“When You’re Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail.”

It was co-written by a parent who has a child on the team. Glover, 26, said he emailed a copy of the song to friends,

family members and player’s parents through his personal email account.

And that’s when all the trouble started for the self-described independent conservative.

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial

overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
http://mrowster.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/banjo_boy_biography.jpg

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
stupid...can't believe he got fired. What do we expect though. Anytime someone disagrees with Obama, it's racist...

TIMMYD!
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, he was being critical of Obama but he wasn't being racist at all.

CuckingFunt
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Anytime someone disagrees with Obama, it's racist...

Not true.

But if he was being racist while insulting Obama...

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Not true.

But if he was being racist while insulting Obama...
Nothing racist about that song. Guess I can't say it's widespread, but I saw more than one time that someone was called racist for disagreeing with Obama's plans before he was elected. And you have to admit that it's pretty sad he's still blaming everything on Bush. In the newest polls I saw on the Today Show, 61% aren't buying it anymore. It's getting a bit old if you ask me.

CuckingFunt
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Nothing racist about that song. Guess I can't say it's widespread, but I saw more than one time that someone was called racist for disagreeing with Obama's plans before he was elected. And you have to admit that it's pretty sad he's still blaming everything on Bush. In the newest polls I saw on the Today Show, 61% aren't buying it anymore. It's getting a bit old if you ask me.

I don't think there was anything overtly racist about the song, either (though the we vs. they thing is interesting), incidentally.

Don't buy the idea of a widespread practice of calling any and all criticism thrown at Obama racially motivated for no reason other than it being criticism, though. Whether or not his opposition wants to acknowledge it, a lot of the anti-Obama rhetoric was, and still is, based in racist ideologies.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't think there was anything overtly racist about the song, either (though the we vs. they thing is interesting), incidentally.

Don't buy the idea of a widespread practice of calling any and all criticism thrown at Obama racially motivated for no reason other than it being criticism, though. Whether or not his opposition wants to acknowledge it, a lot of the anti-Obama rhetoric was, and still is, based in racist ideologies.
just like the liberal platform on everything is based on white males holding down the long oppressed, underpaid, overworked, under-appreciated negro men and women in this nation.

Sisk
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM

He shouldn't have lost his job. Period.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM

The "we vs. they" was based on different ideals...we both know that. It's not a racial thing.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
He shouldn't have lost his job. Period.
this..Chris Rock continues to have a job as a comedian while saying "cracker ass cracker" all the damn time. I don't have a problem with that...I think it's kind of funny. If this guy was saying the "n" word..I'd understand...but there's nothing racist about this...just ignorance.

Blake
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
guess he wasn't the hammer after all.

Blake
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
this..Chris Rock continues to have a job as a comedian while saying "cracker ass cracker" all the damn time. I don't have a problem with that...I think it's kind of funny. If this guy was saying the "n" word..I'd understand...but there's nothing racist about this...just ignorance.

Chris Rock isn't a school teacher saying "all good people gather round" while insinuating that Obama does dealings behind closed doors.

Him getting fired may have been too harsh, but a youtube with a President bashing song is almost as dumb as a teacher facebooking with the kids.

Mister Sinister
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
guess he wasn't the hammer after all.

The hammer...was his penis.

marini martini
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
The hammer...was his penis.

WTF?????:dizzy

mrsmaalox
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
A Tennessee middle school football coach said he got fired after he wrote a song that criticized President Obama.

Bryan Glover, an assistant coach at Grassland Middle School near Nashville, co-wrote the country music song,

“When You’re Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail.”

It was co-written by a parent who has a child on the team. Glover, 26, said he emailed a copy of the song to friends,

family members and player’s parents through his personal email account.

And that’s when all the trouble started for the self-described independent conservative.

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial

overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.

It's pretty stupid not to know better than to email this to his player's parents if he didn't know for sure they agreed with his political views.

Everyone is focusing on the "racial overtones" part, when in fact it could very well be construed as political incorrect by someone who was opening an email from their kid's coach thinking it was team business. That district just might have a policy against the distribution of political material, justifying his termination. Dumb guy.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Chris Rock isn't a school teacher saying "all good people gather round" while insinuating that Obama does dealings behind closed doors.

Him getting fired may have been too harsh, but a youtube with a President bashing song is almost as dumb as a teacher facebooking with the kids.
In a country that was founded on free speech, what he did was fine. The double standard is ridiculous. We are too racially sensitive. What about Jay Bennish? The teacher in Colorado who said Bush's ideals were like Hitler's...in class. He was sent home for the day...on paid leave. This guy writes a song disagreeing with Obama's views and is fired? Ignorant.

balli
09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
He's a tea-bagger. A piece of shit who's probably anti government spending, but pro Iraq war, voted Bush twice and Palin once; bad things should happen to him.

As far as legal justification for firing him goes, this:

It's pretty stupid not to know better than to email this to his player's parents if he didn't know for sure they agreed with his political views.

Everyone is focusing on the "racial overtones" part, when in fact it could very well be construed as political incorrect by someone who was opening an email from their kid's coach thinking it was team business. That district just might have a policy against the distribution of political material, justifying his termination. Dumb guy.

Ignignokt
09-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Fucking stupid progressives. "We're not saying your ideology is racist, but alot of your ideas are based on racism..". Are you trying to compete for the liberal female Wild Cobra. This is beyond stupid.

Can't say you're fucking up the country because it's a race based thought.

If anything this showed is that this guy was fired for a "percieved" thought crime.

Cuckingfunt and Balli need to move to california and spread their poison there, quit infecting the rest of the states that aren't about to go bankrupt because of progressive schemes.

Ignignokt
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
He's a tea-bagger. A piece of shit who's probably anti government spending, but pro Iraq war, voted Bush twice and Palin once; bad things should happen to him.

As far as legal justification for firing him goes, this:

You're a piece of shit cocksucker for the Mormon state of Utah, idiots like you and CosmicCowboy deserve each other sexually.

Ignignokt
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
http://mrowster.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/banjo_boy_biography.jpg

:lol

every country song sounds like the lyrics should have "dey tuk er jebs!".

Wild Cobra
09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
stupid...can't believe he got fired. What do we expect though. Anytime someone disagrees with Obama, it's racist...
Don't you know?

If you are conservative, the established department of indoctrination kicks you out. You can only espouse liberal ideas in the school system.

Wild Cobra
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I think this is the perfect lawsuit time.

AnthonyM
09-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Pretty catchy song.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Cuckingfunt and Balli need to move to california...
Cucking already lives there. Me? I'm happy enough kickin' with the mormons.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Cucking already lives there. Me? I'm happy enough kickin' with the mormons.
I think cuckingfunt said "she" moved to New Orleans presumably to be with more black people because aside from having heavily populated negro areas, the state that nearly washed away has nothing else to offer.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:13 PM
If anything this showed is that this guy was fired for a "percieved" thought crime.
He was fired for writing and producing a political statement and spamming it around unsolicited to the family members of kids who he is supposed to be coaching. He abused his position and his profession in order to proffer his political opinions upon a group he had no business saying anything to that didn't have to do with high school football.

'thought crimes' my ass.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
He was fired for writing and producing a political statement and spamming it around unsolicited to the family members of kids who he is supposed to be coaching. He abused his position and his profession in order to proffer his political opinions upon a group he had no business saying anything to that didn't have to do with high school football.

'thought crimes' my ass.
fucking Hitler, dude..this guy told the kids in his school that Bush's ideals were like ADOLF FUCKING HITLER'S...he was suspended for one day with pay. Are you telling me that what this guy did was worse than that?

Blake
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I think this is the perfect lawsuit time.

possibly.

The Superintendent of Williamson County Schools refused to say why Glover was fired, but he did speculate it could be an issue of how he obtained the parents email addresses.

"If someone is sending an email to parents using our system or knowledge you obtained through our system, you are limited in what kind of message you can send to parents, " said Dr. Mike Looney.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=12989255

possibly not.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Now we're trying to say this was about sending emails? We're forgetting what was said to this guy...

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.

Cry Havoc
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
If he was fired for a song, then it's absolutely absurd, regardless of what medium it was in or how he presented it, unless it was overtly racist.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
fucking Hitler, dude..this guy told the kids in his school that Bush's ideals were like ADOLF FUCKING HITLER'S...he was suspended for one day with pay. Are you telling me that what this guy did was worse than that?

Am I telling you what this guy did is worse than that? No. I, nor anyone else, commented on whatever incident it is you're talking about.

If he was fired for a song, then it's absolutely absurd, regardless of what medium it was in or how he presented it, unless it was overtly racist.
The medium isn't what he was fired for. Unethically abusing his employer's email contact list for the purpose of espousing political statements is what he was fired for.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:40 PM
The medium isn't what he was fired for. Unethically abusing his employer's email contact list for the purpose of espousing political statements is what he was fired for.

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-08-2010, 11:43 PM

Pretty simple.

I would have fired him for being a fucking moron.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:46 PM
But using the environment of your classroom to espouse a statement to young children that the president is similar to one of the most evil men to walk the earth isn't as bad?

Blake
09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Pretty simple.

I would have fired him for being a fucking moron.

I would have fired him for writing such a crappy song about a hammer with blinders on.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:48 PM
But using the environment of your classroom to espouse a statement to young children that the president is similar to one of the most evil men to walk the earth isn't as bad?

Again, I, nor anyone else (besides you), commented on whatever incident it is you're talking about. Or drew any comparison.

Besides, didn't your mother ever tell you the phrase about two wrongs.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:49 PM

So the parent said he was being politically incorrect? Okay.

The school administrators said he was being unethical in his use of the school's contacts.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Again, I, nor anyone else (besides you), commented on whatever incident it is you're talking about. Or drew any comparison.

ah..so we punish the one that isn't near as wrong. Right or wrong, this is a complete and total double standard. It was ok to compare Bush to Hitler, but to write a song saying you don't agree with Obama wasn't.

09-08-2010, 11:52 PM
ah..so we punish the one that isn't near as wrong. Right or wrong, this is a complete and total double standard. It was ok to compare Bush to Hitler, but to write a song saying you don't agree with Obama wasn't.

Did they work in the same school system bound by the same set of employee guidelines?

And I have no idea what you're talking about.

admiralsnackbar
09-08-2010, 11:52 PM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/mc-hammer.jpg

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:53 PM

How can you say this isn't a perfect comparison? Two teachers giving out their political statements to members of the community. One said he didn't agree with the President's ideals..the other compared the President to Adolf Hitler. The difference is that one sent it out in email to adults, who can use their own minds and judgment to decide what to take out of a statement, and the other said it to children whom he's taught all year and are told by his parents to listen to him and you will get an education.

balli
09-08-2010, 11:54 PM

Last year, a guy in Tennessee raped and murdered a woman and was only given a 5 year sentence. I guess next time someone rapes and murder a woman and is found guilty the defense should be sure to cite the former's sentence as a precedent for their own.

Seriously, GTFO with that weak ass strawman. The two incidents have nothing to do with each other. Head down to your local community college and take a introductory level class in logic.

Mark in Austin
09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
War on Christmas? getting warm...
War on family values / marriage? warmer...
War on white people? disco!

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Last year, a guy in Tennessee raped and murdered a woman and was only given a 5 year sentence. I guess next time someone rapes and murder a woman and is found guilty the defense should be sure to cite the former's sentence as a precedent for their own.

Seriously, GTFO with that weak ass strawman. The two incidents have nothing to do with each other. Head down to your local community college and take a introductory level class in logic.
To say this isn't a double standard is ignorance...point blank period.

mrsmaalox
09-08-2010, 11:57 PM

"We" aren't punishing them, their employers are dealing with them according to their set standards and policies. If you accept a job with a company that has a policy against wearing yellow socks, and you decide to wear yellow socks, they will deal with you according to their policy. One of these guys was inColorado, the other one in Tennessee---maybe their employers had different standards.

Spursfan092120
09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
"We" aren't punishing them, their employers are dealing with them according to their set standards and policies. If you accept a job with a company that has a policy against wearing yellow socks, and you decide to wear yellow socks, they will deal with you according to their policy. One of these guys was inColorado, the other one in Tennessee---maybe their employers had different standards.
possibly..but when one of the faculty members calls you and says the adults are unhappy with how you were being politically incorrect, and your song had racial overtones, and then shortly thereafter you are fired...that's obviously just an excuse

monosylab1k
09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
"cracker ass cracker"

find me one white person on earth that's actually offended by the terms cracker or honkey.

balli
09-09-2010, 12:01 AM
To say this isn't a double standard is ignorance...point blank period.

You're dumb. Different school districts, in different states, have different standards, and are entitled to meting out judgement as the see fit.

And again, the two incidents have nothing to do with each other. I'm sorry some teacher compared Bush to Hitler. That's not right. I'm sorry he only got slapped on the wrist. That doesn't entitle the coach to a similarly light consequence for his unethical actions. I fail to see how on earth you feel the former's unrelated, unethical behavior should have any bearing whatsoever on the consequences of the latter's. It's elementary Watson.

Steve Kerr
09-09-2010, 12:02 AM
find me one white person on earth that's actually offended by the terms cracker or honkey.
Oh there are plenty. All the white people who like to cry racism and insist white people face as much persecution as black people.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't know any, tbh...I'm not, that's for sure...but that's part of my point. If you listen, there's nothing racist in that song whatsoever, and the guy was told he was being racist...because he was disagreeing with Obama's ideals.

balli
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
, and the guy was told he was being racist...because he was disagreeing with Obama's ideals.
By the people who he spammed his politics at. Not by the people who fired him.

09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
possibly..but when one of the faculty members calls you and says the adults are unhappy with how you were being politically incorrect, and your song had racial overtones, and then shortly thereafter you are fired...that's obviously just an excuse

Well, then he shouldn't have given them a valid reason to fire him.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
You're dumb. Different school districts, in different states, have different standards, and are entitled to meting out judgement as the see fit.

And again, the two incidents have nothing to do with each other. I'm sorry some teacher compared Bush to Hitler. That's not right. I'm sorry he only got slapped on the wrist. That doesn't entitle the coach to a similarly light consequence for his unethical actions. I fail to see how on earth you feel the former's unrelated, unethical behavior should have any bearing whatsoever on the consequences of the latter's. It's elementary Watson.
No need to get personal...dumb? I think not. My opinion is that this country (well..some of it) is overly sensitive in some aspects of racism...if you don't agree, that's fine. But I just can't make myself believe this guy was fired because of an email list. Just can't do it.

balli
09-09-2010, 12:09 AM
You might not be dumb, but it's dumb to build strawmen based on two wrongs equaling a right.

mrsmaalox
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
No need to get personal...dumb? I think not. My opinion is that this country (well..some of it) is overly sensitive in some aspects of racism...if you don't agree, that's fine. But I just can't make myself believe this guy was fired because of an email list. Just can't do it.

Every year I have to fill out a form for each of my kids giving the school district my email address and that form says that my email address will not be used or provided to anyone to use for any reason other than official school business. If his school district does the same thing and he used those parents emails to send them that video then they will reprimand him according to their policies.

Latarian Milton
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM

saying the word "honkey" is just as easy & leisurely a job for you as a white person spewing the N-word, i guess. ur not offended by words like honkey etc. because your a pickle breath. people have yet to come up with any special respectful appellation for you mustard breaths.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2010, 12:14 AM
By the people who he spammed his politics at. Not by the people who fired him.
true...but by a faculty member..and parents speaking out can get a coach fired..and I believe that is the case here.

Spursfan092120
09-09-2010, 12:16 AM
You might not be dumb, but it's dumb to build strawmen based on two wrongs equaling a right.
tbh I'm not saying it's right. They're both wrong. But when one guy is suspended for an afternoon with pay and one is fired, there's something wrong. I'm just saying the guy shouldn't have been fired...but that's just an opinion.

mrsmaalox
09-09-2010, 12:18 AM
true...but by a faculty member..and parents speaking out can get a coach fired..and I believe that is the case here.

Yes that is the case here. But it would not be a case at all if he had not violated his employer's policy.

4>0rings
09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
K3IhBf1rWx8

Blake
09-09-2010, 12:25 AM

The next time I hear a black person other than Geroge Jefferson use the word honkey will be the first.

Sisk
09-09-2010, 12:33 AM
the club is turning into the fucking political forum

get this shit out of here.. and that stephen hawking thread

balli
09-09-2010, 01:09 AM
the club is turning into the fuck political forum

Agreed. I hate seeing political threads in here. Even though I post in the political forum a bit, I try to avoid it a lot of the time because it pisses me off too much and I can't handle it. When I go into the club I hate to getting sucked into some political bullshit like this.

And it's always. always. always CC's ass who does it.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2010, 02:03 AM
I think cuckingfunt said "she" moved to New Orleans presumably to be with more black people because aside from having heavily populated negro areas, the state that nearly washed away has nothing else to offer.

Wrong troll is wrong.

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Maybe he was fired because the song fucking sucked.

wannabe Moderator
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
the club is turning into the fucking political forum

I agree and that is why the political forum was created because some were complaining about all the political, religion and other thread in the Club. And the Troll Forum also.

mrsmaalox
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Eh I don't mind the occasional political thread here, because it's nice to have a conversation with a little more substance than "lol calf tats" and "you're a fag". I would participate in the Political forum, but I just don't have the attention span to wade thru all the ankle-biters.

As far as the religion threads go, I don't care for pissing contests so I avoid them. But if they provide entertainment for anyone else, then have at it!

clambake
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
why would anyone want someone that stupid to teach their kids?

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I feel for the guy. I once lost a job because I got hammered and sent a mass e-mail about nailing everyone.

MannyIsGod
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM

I don't have an opinion on the man in question because I've not listened to the song but trying to compare a private entertainer to a high school coach is beyond stupid.

DarkReign
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
How can you say this isn't a perfect comparison? Two teachers giving out their political statements to members of the community. One said he didn't agree with the President's ideals..the other compared the President to Adolf Hitler. The difference is that one sent it out in email to adults, who can use their own minds and judgment to decide what to take out of a statement, and the other said it to children whom he's taught all year and are told by his parents to listen to him and you will get an education.

Look, youre missing the fucking point.

I dont even know what instance youre talking about (Hitler-Bush thing), but youve already cited the glaring fucking difference multiple times.

Delivery Method #1: Oral
Delivery Method #2: School Email

I am really not going to connect the dots for you beyond that.

Spurminator
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Unless there was a lot more inflammatory stuff in the actual email, he shouldn't have been fired. That song was pretty lightweight, and there's not even a hint of racism.

He shouldn't have sent the email through a school distribution but people forward jokes and scare emails to inappropriate contacts all the time. Firing him just makes it a bigger deal than it needed to be.

Plus it gives a really, really terrible song listeners it wouldn't have previously gotten.

DarkReign
09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Unless there was a lot more inflammatory stuff in the actual email, he shouldn't have been fired. That song was pretty lightweight, and there's not even a hint of racism.

He shouldn't have sent the email through a school distribution but people forward jokes and scare emails to inappropriate contacts all the time. Firing him just makes it a bigger deal than it needed to be.

Plus it gives a really, really terrible song listeners it wouldn't have previously gotten.

Agreed in a sense, but thats why things are company policy. I am sure the policy violation has degrees of punishment (reprimand, suspension, termination), but that is the school's prerogative.

Bottom line: He violated his employers rules. Knowledge of violation isnt necessary to commit (and be punished for) a violation. He removed all his claims of "unfair" when he used company information in a negligent way. The same goes for people that send jokes en masse using the same company information.

Spurminator
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I just think a warning would have been a lot more appropriate. When the punishment doesn't fit the crime, it gives unnecessary attention to the crime.

Bender
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I just think a warning would have been a lot more appropriate.

zero tolerance I guess

Blake
09-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I just think a warning would have been a lot more appropriate. When the punishment doesn't fit the crime, it gives unnecessary attention to the crime.

The crime was the misuse of emails obtained from school records.

I think firing someone for such misuse gives the appropriate amount of attention to the crime.

I bet you won't see any other teachers in that district sending off youtube songs to the kids' parents any time soon.

Stringer_Bell
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I feel for the guy. I once lost a job because I got hammered and sent a mass e-mail about nailing everyone.

:nope

That song fucking sucked, dude was probably trying to "inspire" parents on a grassroots but ended up sending the song to the wrong kind of people (i.e. democrat/black parents!). I was waiting for the part in the song where he just comes out and says "I fuckin' hate that Magic Negro, stick your fuckin' healthcare up your dilated ass-hole!" I eagerly await him to be invited to perform on Fox & Friends...

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2010, 12:50 PM
:nope

That song fucking sucked, dude was probably trying to "inspire" parents on a grassroots but ended up sending the song to the wrong kind of people (i.e. democrat/black parents!). I was waiting for the part in the song where he just comes out and says "I fuckin' that Magic Negro, stick your fuckin' healthcare up your dilated ass-hole!" I eagerly await him to be invited to perform on Fox & Friends...

:lmao

He can go "jam" with Huckabee and the "little rockers" :lol

to21
09-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I work for a school district, they fire people for less here when it concerns sending emails to parents or students about personal matters. Most places spell it out pretty clearly in their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Never mind the fact the body of his message was on his political views.