PDA

View Full Version : Better 1994 film?

DJ Mbenga
09-09-2010, 12:35 AM
1994 seemed to have some good ass films! but which is the best? the one that was picture of the year? Forrest Gump. Fan favorite like Pulp Fiction? or the #1 movie at IMDB Shawshank Redemption? oh yeah i guess you could add the lion king as well. which is the best?
i happen to think shawshank is amazing.

IronMexican
09-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Shawshank was my favorite of the three, but I enjoyed all three.

Only saw Shawshank for the first time about 2 months back, though.

admiralsnackbar
09-09-2010, 12:47 AM
It's no great film or anything, but I still dig Ed Wood.

spurs_2108
09-09-2010, 12:52 AM
I really enjoyed Shawshank the first time I saw it. I wonder how Ill like it a second time.

redzero
09-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Pulp Fiction > Shawshank Redemption >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forrest Gump

balli
09-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Forrest Gump is the best film. It's shot beautifully. It's superbly conceived as a screenplay. The writing is so compact and efficient it isn't even funny; it tells the amazingly believable and complete life story of a man in two and a half hours and doesn't waste a single frame of film or word of dialogue.

Pulp Fiction was the most forward thinking and most influential film. The dialogue and story structure have singly handedly steered a major direction of the film industry since. Not the best movie of the 90's but the most important film in terms of moving the medium forward.

Shawshank is a great movie and a great story but is the most generic and unrisky film of the trifecta. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good film, but it had that cliche hollywood pop to it that's just so obviously engineered. Less organic than the story/timeline revelations of Pulp Fiction and not as completely perfect as Forrest Gump.

monosylab1k
09-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Forrest Gump seems so corny and lame in retrospect that I'm amazed that it was so acclaimed at the time. tbh that might just be because it's such a pop culture icon and has been spoofed ad nauseaum that it's changed my perception of the movie, much like how I feel about The Matrix.

Pulp Fiction is enjoyable to this day. It's overrated but still awesome.

Shawshank is probably the best of all 3 of these movies, but during the late 90's/early 2000's this movie got played NONSTOP on TBS/TNT/USA/every other fucking channel. I think back in 2000 you could literally find Shawshank playing on some cable channel at every point during a 24 hour period. I got burnt out pretty quick on it.

monosylab1k
09-09-2010, 01:07 AM
it tells the amazingly believable

lolwut?

Forrest Gump is a fairy tale all the way. It's a great fairy tale, but aside from the setting, there's nothing realistic at all about the story of some retard falling assbackwards into the history books with every step he takes.

monosylab1k
09-09-2010, 01:09 AM
1994 seemed to have some good ass films! but which is the best? the one that was picture of the year? Forrest Gump. Fan favorite like Pulp Fiction? or the #1 movie at IMDB Shawshank Redemption? oh yeah i guess you could add the lion king as well. which is the best?
i happen to think shawshank is amazing.

I've had a few drinks tonight, so just being completely honest, I have beaten off to your sig more than once. I would strangle an invalid to fuck Alison Brie.

THanks, goodnight.

balli
09-09-2010, 01:12 AM
lolwut?

Forrest Gump is a fairy tale all the way. It's a great fairy tale, but aside from the setting, there's nothing realistic at all about the story of some retard falling assbackwards into the history books with every step he takes.
Nah. He was a simple man of the south man of the southern times.

The book's unbelievable. In the book he adopts a pet ape and is an astronaut and an actor and a professional wrestler.

monosylab1k
09-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Nah. He was a simple man of the south man of the southern times.

The book's unbelievable. In the book he adopts a pet ape and is an astronaut and an actor and a professional wrestler.

crofl really???? hahaha

yeah considering all that, the movie seems pretty realistic in comparison.

Dex
09-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Pulp Fiction > Forrest Gump > Shawshank Redemption

But obviously we are never going to land on a "right" or "wrong" answer to this so it's almost pointless debating.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2010, 01:54 AM
1994 was a good year, looking back on it.

Were I to try and rank them...

Pulp Fiction > Ed Wood > Leon/The Professional > The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert > Shawshank Redemption > Natural Born Killers > Serial Mom >>>> Forrest Gump >>>>>>> Quiz Show.

Those are a lot closer than they look with all the > marks, though. In fact a couple of them would probably be switched if I answered this tomorrow or something.

Also, they're not at the same level in my opinion, but other movies that came out that year that I thoroughly enjoyed:

The Crow
Speed
Interview with the Vampire
The Mask
Maverick
Clerks
Pret-a-Porter
Reality Bites
Heavenly Creatures
The Ref
Eat Drink Man Woman
Shallow Grave
The Lion King
Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
Muriel's Wedding

Like I said, interesting year. Think I actually saw all of those in theaters, too, except Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle. God damn, I used to go to a lot of movies.

AnthonyM
09-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Shawshank was the best of the three. But I have to agree with Mono about Forrest Gump. I really don't take it too seriously anymore even though it really is a great film. But I saw Shawshank for the first time a couple of years ago and it's probably become my favorite movie or at least one of my favorites (Terminator 2, Gladiator, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas would be my other favorites on any given day)

Pulp Fiction is fun to watch but is overrated and fails in comparison to Forrest Gump and Shawshank. Doesn't even come close to the meaning in either of those movies. I don't get why people confuse the originality and structure of the story with an all-time great film. The two do not necessarily coincide.

And lol at Forrest Gump being a believable story. I guess it was normal to see a legally retarded man enter the army and single handedly run a few people to safety from bombs exploding in Vietnam, to meeting the president, to getting the Purple Heart, to meet John Lennon, show his ass to LBJ, be a world champion at ping pong, become the most successful shrimp boat captain in the world, and run across the entire country for a few years.

AnthonyM
09-09-2010, 02:23 AM
I've had a few drinks tonight, so just being completely honest, I have beaten off to your sig more than once. I would strangle an invalid to fuck Alison Brie.

THanks, goodnight.

Never heard of Spankwire?

TinTin
09-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't know how I made it through interview with a vampire. I guess I shouldn't have watched blade before it

admiralsnackbar
09-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't know how I made it through interview with a vampire. I guess I shouldn't have watched blade before it
No joke, man... what a dogshit excuse for entertainment.

dickface
09-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Never heard of Spankwire?

variety

Drachen
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Shawshank has to be it. I have never turned that off as soon as I see that it's on. IMO anyone who chooses another film either hasn't seen it, doesn't understand it, or is a woman. (that last one was not trying to be insulting to either gender, it just seems in my experience that although I know women who think Shawshank is awesome, that it just strikes a chord with men).

Dr. Gonzo
09-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Airheads is the best movie released in '94.

Steve Kerr
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Shawshank imo. I didn't see it till like 2007 when it was no longer a giant craze, but it might be my favorite movie of all time.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I love all 3 but if I had to rank them I would say Shawshank > Pulp Fiction > Forrest Gump

I just watched Shawshank a few weeks ago on netflix and I liked it so much I watched it 2 more times over the next few days.

baseline bum
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Pulp Fiction >>> Shawshank >>>>>>>>>>>> Airheads > Forrest Gump

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Between Pulp Fiction and Shawshank 1994 was a very good year for anal rape in mainstream cinema.

baseline bum
09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Between Pulp Fiction and Shawshank 1994 was a very good year for anal rape in mainstream cinema.

Especially at the Oscars with Gump winning best picture.

Drachen
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
especially at the oscars with gump winning best picture.

hiiiiiiii-yoooooooooooo!

CubanSucks
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Pulp Fiction > Forrest Gump > Shawshank Redemtion

leemajors
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Lightning Jack

CubanSucks
09-09-2010, 12:40 PM

THanks, goodnight.

:lmao Regrets coming soon

leemajors
09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Clerks and Pulp Fiction definitely take the cake for overwrought unrealistic dialogue that set off an unbelievably shitty amount of clones and horribly written scripts. I cannot sit through Clerks or any other Smith movie outside of Mallrats anymore. Pulp Fiction is also terrible outside of Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, and Sam Jackson screaming. Natural Born Killers also sucks. I think the Hudsucker Proxy is underrated.

admiralsnackbar
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I think the Hudsucker Proxy is underrated.

Couldn't agree more, but I think a lot of its charm comes from it's constant riffing on Capra movies that don't involve Christmas, which might alienate some viewers.

Strike
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Pulp Fiction > Shawshank Redemption >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forrest Gump

This

SpursWoman
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm biased towards anything Stephen King .... Shawshank Redemption is easily one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time ... and Pulp Fiction is at least in my top 10. Forrest Gump was alright, but of the three it's waaaaay below the other two as far as what I like.

So, IMO:

Shawshank Redemption >>> Pulp Fiction >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forrest Gump.

ohmwrecker
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Two best films of '94?

Pulp Fiction and Crumb.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Especially at the Oscars with Gump winning best picture.

Nice.

Enthusiastic golf clap to the whole exchange.