PDA

View Full Version : My new ride

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/abcstump/Cobia/IMG_1515.jpg

Got an unbelievable deal on this boat, settled on a price yesterday. Guy is going to deliver it to town tomorrow.

Offshore conditions start to look REALLY good come sunday monday and tuesday. Forcasted smooth seas with very light chop...

Im stoked!

tlongII
09-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice!

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Sweet!...If it finally settles down we may be out there too...We've been wanting to get out to Baker and drag some ballyhoo for two weeks now but it's been too knarly...When they call 1-2 it's usually still 2-4 and when they call 6-8 (like last week) it's just too damn brutal to even consider it...I love coming back with the waves at the end of the day when the water conditions are right...we will drop the hammer on the Fountain and it's like "Miami Vice" coming home...

mrsmaalox
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Nice boat! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. Man I thought that was a green carpet it was sitting on :)

lebomb
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet! My buddy has a nice boat, not as big as yours.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice, Soul, mind if I ask how much you picked it up for?

lebomb
09-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Im gonna guess.................25K

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Boats are really a steal right now..especially big offshore boats...my offshore fishing buddy is in Alabama right now looking at a totally cherry, hard loaded 53' Viking thats distress selling for $220,000...

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I about shit when we settled at a whopping

$12,000 flat

The boat books at around 22k

What size fountain CosmicC? Those are such nice, fast boats.

I went and fished (attempted to fish more like it) 2 weeks ago (before all this mess) with a buddy of mine who has a totaly decked out Grady White 330 Marlin. That was a freakin Cadillac...we had to cut the trip short halfway out in the jetties as his stearing started to freeze up. limped back into port and turned out he had to replace his hydraulic steering pump.

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone selling a 10 - 15hp used kicker, let me know. I will need to put one on this boat before i start venturing too far off in the blue.

Also slowly acquiring offshore gear, so looking for Shimano TLD 15 20, possibly 25s...dont need to be 2 speeds, but if its in my ballpark, ill go for it. Accompanied rods would be nice too.

marini martini
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice boat! Great price!!! Have fun!!!!:toast

What kind of green shit is it sitting in?

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I about shit when we settled at a whopping

$12,000 flat

The boat books at around 22k

What size fountain CosmicC? Those are such nice, fast boats.

I went and fished (attempted to fish more like it) 2 weeks ago (before all this mess) with a buddy of mine who has a totaly decked out Grady White 330 Marlin. That was a freakin Cadillac...we had to cut the trip short halfway out in the jetties as his stearing started to freeze up. limped back into port and turned out he had to replace his hydraulic steering pump.

It's a 29' Canyon Special. Center console with outriggers and twin 250's. It will run flat out about 70 but we rarely push it past 40-45 offshore...It's not mine, I just get invited a lot, which is the best kind of fishing boat to have...

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone selling a 10 - 15hp used kicker, let me know. I will need to put one on this boat before i start venturing too far off in the blue.

Also slowly acquiring offshore gear, so looking for Shimano TLD 15 20, possibly 25s...dont need to be 2 speeds, but if its in my ballpark, ill go for it. Accompanied rods would be nice too.

You definitely want a kicker, preferably with its own fuel supply. Don't know where any are now but I'll keep my eyes open...we routinely run 50-60 miles offshore to get to the billfish and you definitely don't want to do that single engine.

boutons_deux
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Does it work as well on water as it does on grass?

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm really hoping my fishing buddy buys that Viking...he's gonna winter it in Florida...we can hit Southwest Airlines and be fishing in 4 hours...Live aboard and take it down to the Bahamas...Three bedrooms, 3 bath, full kitchen, salon, bar, etc.

http://www.vikingyachts.com/images/articleImages/53CPG1441%20intro.jpg

bus driver
09-09-2010, 12:05 PM

:lmao

nice boat! now you just need the honies and beer to make it complete.

admiralsnackbar
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/abcstump/Cobia/IMG_1515.jpg

Got an unbelievable deal on this boat, settled on a price yesterday. Guy is going to deliver it to town tomorrow.

Offshore conditions start to look REALLY good come sunday monday and tuesday. Forcasted smooth seas with very light chop...

Im stoked!

Oh man... that thing is gonna kick ass!

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm really hoping my fishing buddy buys that Viking...he's gonna winter it in Florida...we can hit Southwest Airlines and be fishing in 4 hours...Live aboard and take it down to the Bahamas...Three bedrooms, 3 bath, full kitchen, salon, bar, etc.

http://www.vikingyachts.com/images/articleImages/53CPG1441%20intro.jpg

Vikings are such kick ass boats. I'll never have the $$ to own one, but ive fished on one before. Also fished on a '53 Post in Cabo. I would turn gay for a boat like that (and the money to actually use it).

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Lol...Guy that owns it lives in Orange TX and has it docked in a back bayou. Im sure their marina fills up with that stuff depending on the tides/wind.

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
You definitely want a kicker, preferably with its own fuel supply. Don't know where any are now but I'll keep my eyes open...we routinely run 50-60 miles offshore to get to the billfish and you definitely don't want to do that single engine.

No, my intended range is probably in the 20 - 30 mile range, with the occasional push to 50ish when its just the boys. I wont be pushing 50 miles until i have the kicker, for sure.

My goal is to put the wife and kiddo on some kings or dodo's trolling, and/or find a rig with some AJs and snaps...

Once i get the boat tomorrow, i am going to set up service with Towboat US cant beat the piece of mind for 125 bucks a year.

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Vikings are such kick ass boats. I'll never have the $$ to own one, but ive fished on one before. Also fished on a '53 Post in Cabo. I would turn gay for a boat like that (and the money to actually use it).

No shit! I damn sure can't afford one. I could probably buy it, but maintenance is nuts, not to mention the cost to run it...the one he is looking at has two 800hp Man diesels...35K just to rebuild one, and at 30 knots probably burns 70 gph...:wow

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
The fuel bill is probably more than my mortgage.

If i could own any boat in the world, i think it would most likely be a 37' Boston Whaler Outrage. Was all over one at the last in water show in corpus. That thing is absolutely amazing. 3 300 Yamaha V8s, an entire cabin underneath the console, so many gadgets and gizmos you probably would never use them all...

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
The fuel bill is probably more than my mortgage.

If i could own any boat in the world, i think it would most likely be a 37' Boston Whaler Outrage. Was all over one at the last in water show in corpus. That thing is absolutely amazing. 3 300 Yamaha V8s, an entire cabin underneath the console, so many gadgets and gizmos you probably would never use them all...

My (almost realistic) dream choice would probably be a '35 Cabo Express. I've actually considered when it's time, liquidating everything and retiring to Belize and getting one...I prefer twin inboard diesel to outboards when you start getting in the bigger boats...plus in Belize I could run over to Mexico and fuel up on cheap diesel.

http://www.iboats.com/sites/cabo/site_page_13453/images/l_5.jpg

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
No, my intended range is probably in the 20 - 30 mile range, with the occasional push to 50ish when its just the boys. I wont be pushing 50 miles until i have the kicker, for sure.

My goal is to put the wife and kiddo on some kings or dodo's trolling, and/or find a rig with some AJs and snaps...

Once i get the boat tomorrow, i am going to set up service with Towboat US cant beat the piece of mind for 125 bucks a year.

For years we went out 50-60 miles in a 23' Chaparral...single 200 with a kicker. Just gotta pick your days and leave early...We were out at Hospital Rock once and saw a tiny little boat coming out and were laughing our asses off at the fools for being that far out in such a small boat...As they kept getting closer we finally realized they were in an identical 23' Chap... LOL.

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Well the owner go's offshore out of Sabine Pass. He has to run about 50 to 60 miles just to get into fishable waters (deeper than 75ish feet). That is just sick! lol...

I think that is why he has finally decided to get rid of her...At least i hope that is the only reason.

We trialed her last weekend, and i was really impressed, everything was very clean...engine ran great. Just a few minor cosmetic things i would change, but for that price, it couldn't be beat.

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, you made a great deal...hopefully you get decent life out of the outboard...A new one costs as much as you paid for the boat.

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Outboard has just under 400 hours. According to most things you read the OX66 from Yamaha are capable of upwards of around 1500hrs or more...

It is one of the most solid 2 strokes made. I just hope it lives up to its reputation!

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Cool...400 hours is just broke in good...It's hard to tell in the picture...is that a 21 or 24?

silverblk mystix
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Sweet :toast

No one has mentioned this so I'll open up a can here;

Whatcha' gonna name it?

Gotta have a name...

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
"Money Pit" is a good one. A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into.

Soul_Patch
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
It has a name currently, i think it is Holicia.

No idea what that means, but we will definitely have a renaming ceremony once i come up with something clever.

It is a 24ft Cobia Walk around, well, technically 23 and 10 inches....

blizz
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
VERY nice! I recently bought a boat too but not as big as yours, it's an 18ft bow rider. I'm a lake/recreational guy since we're only an hour or so from 3-4 lakes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being out there in the bays and some off shore. If I had the $$, I'd keep a nice bay boat boat down at the coast.

The Reckoning
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
when im old and retired im going to sell everything i own, buy a 50 ft+ yacht and just live on it in a marina.

no taxes.

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
SP, if conditions hold it looks like we are going down Monday night and heading out Tuesday...when are you guys going?

to21
09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
12k? Nice!

phxspurfan
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Yo can u get a TV and watch football on those things?

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Yo can u get a TV and watch football on those things?

Oh hell yeah. That Viking my buddy is looking at has 3 flat screens. It's like a 3 bedroom condo that floats and can go 40mph.

phxspurfan
09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh man...sold!

I'd take it at least once to at&t park to watch a game (and hopefully not catch a foul ball in the windshield)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/824577937_6c20a1ec74.jpg?v=0

PM5K
09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Awww man I wanna go fishing on a boat.

Shelly
09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I thought it was bad luck to rename a boat?

Soul_Patch
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Certain things must be done in your renaming ceremony, but it can be done.

We just got back. Took her out yesterday afternoon just for a ride. put in at Con Brown Harbor in Aransas Pass and putted up the channel while my wife made some sandwiches and my son marveled at all the dolphin in the water.

Went out a bit past the jetties, but it was just deadly still (no wind). Son started getting way to hot with his life jacket on and no wind, so we just stayed near the jetties, played around a bit, then went back in.

Not bad for her maiden run. I cant wait to head out to fish though.

TheManFromAcme
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Sweet.

CosmicCowboy
09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Certain things must be done in your renaming ceremony, but it can be done.

We just got back. Took her out yesterday afternoon just for a ride. put in at Con Brown Harbor in Aransas Pass and putted up the channel while my wife made some sandwiches and my son marveled at all the dolphin in the water.

Went out a bit past the jetties, but it was just deadly still (no wind). Son started getting way to hot with his life jacket on and no wind, so we just stayed near the jetties, played around a bit, then went back in.

Not bad for her maiden run. I cant wait to head out to fish though.

No pictures?

Soul_Patch
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
We started on our way and i told my wife, "hey let me see the camera"

Woops....she (we) didn't bring it.

Our first ride in the new boat and no camera. Oh well. Definitely next time.

CosmicCowboy
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm leaving work after lunch today. We plan on clearing the jetties at sunrise tomorrow...

Soul_Patch
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Conditions for the rest of the week look great. Wish i was going.

CosmicCowboy
09-14-2010, 10:45 PM
OK, back empty handed and beat to shit but it was a good day. Those go-fast boats are nice when it's time to come home but they hurt you...they don't sit fat and low like your Cobia so you are constantly holding tension/bouncing/adjusting just to maintain equilibrium. Definitely wasn't a flat two....more like a 3-5 washing machine chop going out..I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. Hit black water at 17 miles. Weed sucked. No major weed lines, just scattered weed everywhere. With only two of us it was a constant job clearing lines. We didn't even bother to put the outriggers out because of the weed. Water was spectacular at 45 miles...flying fish everywhere, some semi-weedlines...we were jazzed, but for some reason couldn't hit any dorado or wahoo...really strange, because the water was as good as I've ever seen it in the gulf...kept hitting huge hunting groups (75-100 per pod) of porpoises so the bait fish were there. Finally got a marlin rise about 11:45... a medium sized blue...probably about 200#...came up on a green/yellow kona head and smacked the shit out of it...chased whacked, chased whacked...finally squared off and hammered it...ripped most of the skirt off but somehow didn't hook up...couldn't get him back after that...and that was it for the day...

CosmicCowboy
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
A few pictures...

North Jetty @ sunrise

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2171/fishing013.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/i/fishing013.jpg/)

trolling...

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8299/fishing017.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/fishing017.jpg/)

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8684/fishing020.jpg (http://img836.imageshack.us/i/fishing020.jpg/)

Soul_Patch
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice reels! :)

How far did you guys make it out? Do any good?

Just saw the post above this...

Ignore :)

Soul_Patch
09-15-2010, 12:00 PM
OK, back empty handed and beat to shit but it was a good day. Those go-fast boats are nice when it's time to come home but they hurt you...they don't sit fat and low like your Cobia so you are constantly holding tension/bouncing/adjusting just to maintain equilibrium. Definitely wasn't a flat two....more like a 3-5 washing machine chop going out..I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. Hit black water at 17 miles. Weed sucked. No major weed lines, just scattered weed everywhere. With only two of us it was a constant job clearing lines. We didn't even bother to put the outriggers out because of the weed. Water was spectacular at 45 miles...flying fish everywhere, some semi-weedlines...we were jazzed, but for some reason couldn't hit any dorado or wahoo...really strange, because the water was as good as I've ever seen it in the gulf...kept hitting huge hunting groups (75-100 per pod) of porpoises so the bait fish were there. Finally got a marlin rise about 11:45... a medium sized blue...probably about 200#...came up on a green/yellow kona head and smacked the shit out of it...chased whacked, chased whacked...finally squared off and hammered it...ripped most of the skirt off but somehow didn't hook up...couldn't get him back after that...and that was it for the day...

Yea, i imagine with all the churning out there, it was liable to be pretty tore up.

Sucks you guys didnt get into more fish...but at lease you got to get out on the water. That is always a +

CosmicCowboy
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Yea, i imagine with all the churning out there, it was liable to be pretty tore up.

Sucks you guys didnt get into more fish...but at lease you got to get out on the water. That is always a +

Oh yeah...bringing fish home is just a bonus...the ride back in was kick ass...we were 47 miles from the whistling buoy at the end of the jetties when we started home...it flattened out a lot in the afternoon and we were heading back almost due west in a following sea so it was a fast run...we pulled up the the dock at the house 87 minutes later...