PDA

View Full Version : The Word 'Repercussion'

balli
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Trying to solve a dispute with a co-worker:

Do you think the work repercussion implies an intrinsicly negative implication. Is it possible to have a positive repercussion, and even if it is, do you think it would be better to substitute impact or consequence for repercussion, following the word positive?

Webster's simply defines repercussion as an outcome, neither positive or negative, but I disagree. I think a repercussion is a negative outcome. Maybe some people feel the same about consequence. Your thoughts?

admiralsnackbar
09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Seems to me that words that have etymological roots in acts of violence end up carrying negative associations, and while I honestly can't think of a time anybody has used a phrase like "the positive repercussions would be," around me, it's hard arguing with a reputable dictionary.

++++
Edit: I just looked it up on the Merriam-Webster:

a : an action or effect given or exerted in return : a reciprocal action or effect b : a widespread, indirect, or unforeseen effect of an act, action, or event —usually used in plural
— re·per·cus·sive\-ˈkə-siv\ adjective

B seems pretty unambiguously negative -- not necessarily the outcome, perhaps, but certainly in the way the repercussion takes place.

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I would agree that it has a negative connotation. Of course, the repercussion of you trying to prove your point by showing him this thread will be that you will confirm to him that you are batshit crazy.

cheguevara
09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
doesn't there have to be a percussion first in order for repercussion to happen?

4>0rings
09-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I would agree that it has a negative connotation. Of course, the repercussion of you trying to prove your point by showing him this thread will be that you will confirm to him that you are batshit crazy.
This, just shoot him and get it over with already.

leemajors
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
It's mainly used to infer negative consequences, but that in no way makes it absolute.

Stringer_Bell
09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I think that placing a modifying word before or after "repercussion" doesn't make it positive, and that's saying something for a word that isn't defined as negative or positive not to be impacted by a modifying word.

"Repercussion = good" is a shitty argument to waste time on, shame on your co-worker.

The Reckoning
09-09-2010, 07:17 PM
could be a regional thing. maybe in somewhere like new zealand it has a positive connotation.

Dex
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
It's mainly used to infer negative consequences, but that in no way makes it absolute.

This.

Most definitions I found were neutral, but this particular one was interesting:

http://vocabulary-vocabulary.com/dictionary/repercussion.php

repercussion
noun
Definition: 1. an often negative, indirect effect or consequence of an action; 2. a rebound from an impact

As in sometimes, but not always.

Obviously this particular dictionary isn't the deal-breaker, but I think that's probably going to be the general consensus.

Sisk
09-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Negative connotation is my first reaction

balli
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM

She. And I might be batshit crazy, but not batshit crazy enough to expose my online forum accounts to anybody, ever, who I have a working relationship with IRL. Do you have any idea the kind of shit I've said on these boards?

In fact, I capitulated readily, I was more than anything curious about the court of public opinion being on my side. Thank you for your reasonable answers.

Spurminator
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about how annoying it is when people say "reprocussion," or spell it that way.

Since it's not, let me just say I find it annoying when people say "reprocussion," or spell it that way.

tlongII
09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I think it means a second drum solo. Could be a good or bad thing.

Kai
09-11-2010, 02:00 AM
It can be positive or negative. That's like saying "side-effect" is negative. It's just normally used to warn people, but isn't exclusive to negative.

The Franchise
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
It all depends on usage. The repercussion of me getting some good pussy is a long nap. See?

DAF86
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
could be a regional thing. maybe in somewhere like new zealand it has a positive connotation.

In Argentina (as well as in any other Spanish speaking country) the word repercussion ("repercusion") is often used in a positive way, so given that those words mean the same thing I supose that in English it can be used both ways too, it's just that it isn't an habit to do it.

BTW, the definition of the word is pretty clear too:

An often indirect effect, influence, or result that is produced by an event or action.

If it was supossed to be used in an exclusive way, it would be said so on its definition.

BlackSwordsMan
09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
consequences will never be the same > repercussion

Smooth Criminal
09-12-2010, 01:49 AM

You should make a thread on the meaning of ''infer''

Darrin
09-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Trying to solve a dispute with a co-worker:

Do you think the work repercussion implies an intrinsicly negative implication. Is it possible to have a positive repercussion, and even if it is, do you think it would be better to substitute impact or consequence for repercussion, following the word positive?

Webster's simply defines repercussion as an outcome, neither positive or negative, but I disagree. I think a repercussion is a negative outcome. Maybe some people feel the same about consequence. Your thoughts?

Well, I used "positive outcomes," "one of the benefits," etc. Now that I think about it, is there really a word for "positive consequences" that doesn't have a negative connotation? Another inconsistency of the English language. Whomoever put this together wasn't thinking rationally.

Yes, consequence, repercussion--they are all negative.

boutons_deux
09-12-2010, 08:41 AM
repercussion

c.1400 (implied in repercussive) "act of driving back," from M.Fr. répercussion (14c.), from L. repercusionem (nom. repercussio), from repercussus, pp. of repercutere "to strike or beat back," from re- "back" + percutere "to strike or thrust through" (see percussion). Meaning "reverberation, echo" first recorded 1590s; the metaphoric extension is recorded from 1620s.

Current connotation agrees with the etymology: clearly negative.

When is reactively striking positive? When there are blows and counter-blows, even verbal, it ain't Good Vibrations.

Ramifications, consequences, results are neutral.