PDA

View Full Version : Hill puts his body to the test in effort to prove he belongs

duncan228
09-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Hill puts his body to the test in effort to prove he belongs (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/09/09/george-hill/)
Art Garcia
NBA.com

George Hill heard those rumors earlier this summer about how he's made Tony Parker expendable. Sounds nice in theory, but such talk isn't the reason Hill pushed his body this offseason harder than ever before.

Going into his third year with the Spurs, Hill is doing all he can to make sure he remains essential to the program. That's all he can control.

"Everyone is expendable outside of Tim Duncan," Hill reminded.

It would make sense for Hill to feel more secure. The 24-year-old guard from a tiny school (UIPUI) in basketball-crazed Indianapolis made a big-time jump last season, earning the trust of his veteran teammates and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Hill felt he only scratched the surface after starting a career-high 43 games during the regular season and eight of 10 playoff games. Many of the starts were necessitated by injuries to Parker and/or Manu Ginobili, though Hill proved he belonged through his play and the team's success.

He's dedicated the last few months to making the same kind of progress Parker and Ginobili made early in their careers. After taking needed break following the San Antonio's second round exit, Hill got back into the gym in July and hasn't left.

He's trained four times a week, usually Monday-Thursday, starting at 8 a.m. with shooting coach Chip Engelland and developmental assistant Chad Forcier. The sessions at the Spurs practice facility typically lasted nearly five hours. Hill described it as "tuning up his game."

"I didn't want anything easy," he said. "I wanted it difficult, so I could learn to capitalize on difficult things so they become easy. Everything they've been throwing at me has been difficult and different, something that I'm not used to."

Keep Reading... (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/09/09/george-hill/)

Mel_13
09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Apparently, George is also working on his bowling:

http://plixi.com/p/44175110

ezau
09-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Such a nice young fella. He knows whatever he needs to do to become successful.

TDMVPDPOY
09-09-2010, 10:18 PM
he be good this season...more efficient %

DesignatedT
09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Nice read. Can't wait for the season.

barbacoataco
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
That's great that he is working with Chip.

duhoh
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
i have not seen 228 in a while. thx for the good read.

bobby4germany
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Hill is working out for 5 hrs a day and Parker only 1 1/2 hrs? HMMMMMM

#2!
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow, that article was riddled with typos. I can't believe no one corrected all those mistakes before the article was posted.

Where'd you hear about Parker's workout schedule?

bobby4germany
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow, that article was riddled with typos. I can't believe no one corrected all those mistakes before the article was posted.

Where'd you hear about Parker's workout schedule?

Its been discussed here:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161547&highlight=parker

Libri
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Hill has already proven that he belongs. I think he is now working on becoming a starter.

ducks
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM

he and ATTENTION WHORE are buddies now

ducks
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Hill has already proven that he belongs. I think he is now working on becoming a starter.

????????????????????

Libri
09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
????????????????????

Well, he mentions that everybody, except Tim, is expendable and that there's competition for roster spots. It could be that Hill is now trying to show that he is much more than a backup and is ready to take over the reigns as a starter, whether that be with the Spurs, if Parker doesn't sign an extension or with another team.

phyzik
09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
????????????????????

:lol

Ducks, dont be a Parker homer.... Its almost a forgone conclusion that he is leaving next year. I hope he doesnt, but (forgive the pun) if it looks like a duck and quaks like a duck....... You can take his penis out of your mouth now... you might even start to make some sense with your lips free!!!

Refocus
09-10-2010, 01:00 AM

I saw him at Astro Bowl today lol.

phyzik
09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I saw him at Astro Bowl today lol.

He randomly tweets bowling days inviting fans... I've been to one and bowled with him... He's a cool guy. Quickly becoming my favorite Spur off the court. On the court, he has some work to do to overtake Manu.... nevermind Timmy. :lol

He is quickly getting to Malik Rose levels when it comes to connection with the fans.

TDMVPDPOY
09-10-2010, 02:38 AM
didnt say anythinga bout him workin on his douche pics :D

Lukor
09-10-2010, 03:27 AM
If somebody would pay me Millions of $ to work out i'd do it all the time too:lol

FalleNxWiZarDx
09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
It should be great watching Hill this coming up season..... He will be an ALL-STAR

2 LONG SOCKS FTW!

guzmangm
09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
There are a lot of fans from or in the valley. I'm one of them. I still remember seeing Popovich, Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_, and Dwayne Schintzius at a Harlingen HEB. They seemed to market more in the valley then, even though they have a farm team in the Vipers.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Parker's an all-star and a Finals MVP. I like Hill, but he hasn't proven yet he's at Parker's level.

wildbill2u
09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I had the chance to talk to George not too long ago and he told me that he's having trouble with the tear drop/floater. It's a tough move to get down. Also he is trying to extend his 3 point range to the wings so he can become a more dangerous slasher, hopefully he uses his solid mid-range game too. And one last thing, as opposed to my opinion George says he isn't a point guard, he is still learning, but he's working hard and I think he has the maintaining turnovers part down and just needs to work on creativity and he'll be fine.

The tear drop floater has to be perfect with no margin of error to go in. I think in most cases the player could use another shot.

I'd rather see him double the practice time on developing his 3 pt shot. It is a better shot to have in your arsenal because the threat of it helps spread the floor and if you can hit it at 33% or better you will outscore the guy shooting that hard to make floater down in the lane.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-10-2010, 10:14 AM
The tear drop floater has to be perfect with no margin of error to go in. I think in most cases the player could use another shot.

I'd rather see him double the practice time on developing his 3 pt shot. It is a better shot to have in your arsenal because the threat of it helps spread the floor and if you can hit it at 33% or better you will outscore the guy shooting that hard to make floater down in the lane.

I agree. The floater is one of those shots that people seem to be born with, and those that aren't don't add it to the arsenal very easily. Another option might work better for him.

The three point shot is what the team desperately needs to be more consistent with.

spurs4real
09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
This is why I love GHill. This guy could be the very reason Pop doesn't retire when Duncan retires. It's guys like this that make a coach want to coach.

mathbzh
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM

You should read more carefully I think

Besides basketball, I do physical training from 10.30 to 12.00.

Not really the same as

He's trained four times a week, usually Monday-Thursday, starting at 8 a.m. with shooting coach Chip Engelland and developmental assistant Chad Forcier. The sessions at the Spurs practice facility typically lasted nearly five hours. Hill described it as "tuning up his game."

Nobody do physical training for 5 hours... it is not like they are preparing for an ultramarathon

PublicOption
09-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Hill is like if you blended Manu+Tony. G. Hill would be the player you got.

1usamotorsports.com
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Hill is one of the Most down to Earth Guys . He keeps it real and connects with all the fans .

bobby4germany
09-11-2010, 11:09 AM
You should read more carefully I think

Not really the same as

Nobody do physical training for 5 hours... it is not like they are preparing for an ultramarathon

Maybe you should read more, I said workout not just basketball training :wakeup

bobby4germany
09-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Hill puts his body to the test in effort to prove he belongs (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/09/09/george-hill/)
Art Garcia

Keep Reading... (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/art_garcia/09/09/george-hill/)

Mel_13
09-11-2010, 11:17 AM

:wakeup

itzsoweezee
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
He better improve, because Phoenix completely embarrassed him last year.

Lol @ george being a replacement for Tony Parker. I like the guy, but he's not in Parker's class.

The Truth #6
09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Looking back, I wonder if Pop has coddled him. He might do well with someone yelling at him. He might even prefer it. I guess Pop thinks the soft approach works the best for Hill...which concerns me. Pop shouldn't have to keep inflating him. But he is a coach's dream as far as dedication so I can understand that. Third year is when things click for point guard types so we'll see what happens. I hope he does well.

xtremesteven33
09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
I really hope he improves his point guard play. Eveything else im sure he will show improvement on (shooting,slashing,defense,expereince)

I dont expect him to ever be allstar material but I can envision him being a solid combo guard in this league. Much like Delonte West..

Trill Clinton
09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I really hope he improves his point guard play. Eveything else im sure he will show improvement on (shooting,slashing,defense,expereince)

I dont expect him to ever be allstar material but I can envision him being a solid combo guard in this league. Much like Delonte West..
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx100/MABOcho/4q4juw.gif

George Hill right now>>>>delonte west

TJastal
09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx100/MABOcho/4q4juw.gif

George Hill right now>>>>delonte west

I would agree with this assessment. Hill's 3pt shooting % is much higher than west (39%/32%). Hill is also quicker and better penetrator. Only thing West has going for him is a decent post up game which he utilizes against small guards. And then West has serious mental issues that culminate in trying to hook up with his teammates' mothers.

ShoogarBear
09-13-2010, 01:04 AM
I didn't think Hill needed to do anything else to prove he be long.

Chieflion
09-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I didn't think Hill needed to do anything else to prove he be long.

:lol

I will co-sign on that.