PDA

View Full Version : The M$M role in the Koran burning debate

Nbadan
09-09-2010, 11:49 PM
A renegade pastor and his tiny flock set fire to a Koran on a street corner, and made sure to capture it on film. And they were ignored. That stunt took place in 2008, involving members of the Westboro Baptist Church from Topeka, Kan., an almost universally condemned group of fundamentalists who also protest at military funerals.

But plans for a similar stunt by another fringe pastor, Terry Jones, have garnered worldwide news media attention this summer, attention that peaked Thursday when he announced he was canceling — and later, that he had only “suspended” — what he had dubbed International Burn a Koran Day. It had been scheduled for Saturday, the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Unlike the Koran-burning by Westboro Baptist, Mr. Jones’s planned event in Gainesville, Fla., coincided with the controversy over the proposed building of a Muslim community center in Lower Manhattan near ground zero and a simmering summerlong debate about the freedoms of speech and religion. Mr. Jones was able to put himself at the center of those issues by using the news lull of summer and the demands of a 24-hour news cycle to promote his anti-Islam cause. He said he consented to more than 150 interview requests in July and August, each time expressing his extremist views about Islam and Sharia law.

By the middle of this week, the planned Koran burning was the lead story on some network newscasts, and topic No. 1 on cable news — an extraordinary amount of attention for a marginal figure with a very small following. On Thursday, President Obama condemned Mr. Jones’s plan, and his press secretary, Robert Gibbs, said that there were “more people at his press conferences than listen to his sermons,” in a bit of media criticism.

NY times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/us/10media.html)

CNN made a big deal about this idiot and then they mentioned that there are only about 30 people in his church. Why the hell are they even covering this publicity seeking fool? I really feel that the M$M, especially cable news, have gone from 'reporting' the news to manufacturing their own scandals and 'breaking news' stories.....

Stringer_Bell
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
The best part is that the media is now criticizing the media's role in this mess, and CNN claims they only covered it after Gen. Petraeus asked that the burning be stopped. It's a total joke, so obvious that the media is trying to fan the flames of hate and intolerance...when Westboro did it, no one cared because we all hated them anyway. When Terry Jones did it, "hey, he might be on to something that riles up both Americans who agree with it and Muslims who hate it, creating more tension and more carnage to cover for more ratings since everyone has gotten so board of our shitty news coverage and lack of usefulness that no one watches us anymore."

I'm surprised no one has conducted polls of what American's think of "Burn a Quran" day, or maybe I'm not so surprised. :rolleyes

Yonivore
09-10-2010, 01:08 AM
NY times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/us/10media.html)

CNN made a big deal about this idiot and then they mentioned that there are only about 30 people in his church. Why the hell are they even covering this publicity seeking fool? I really feel that the M$M, especially cable news, have gone from 'reporting' the news to manufacturing their own scandals and 'breaking news' stories.....
There's an agenda...

Yonivore
09-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Speak of the Devil...

Westboro Baptist Church to burn Qurans if Dove doesn't (http://www.ocala.com/article/20100909/ARTICLES/100909743/1412?Title=Westboro-Baptish-Church-to-burn-Qurans-if-Dove-doesn-t)

What'cha wanna bet the MSM ignores Westboro again?

boutons_deux
09-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Trying to stop audience loss to Fox Repug Propaganda network, CNN has been pandering to right-wing, close-minded, xenophobic, war-loving dumbfucks like Yoni, JackS, WC, ducky ducks. It's corporate bullshit, chasing advertizer $$. Like most of Amcerica, it's a total fraud, fake fabricated, insulting reality.

When anybody talks about reality, "the reality is ...", or reality TV, you know it's total bullshit.

Stringer_Bell
09-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Speak of the Devil...

Westboro Baptist Church to burn Qurans if Dove doesn't (http://www.ocala.com/article/20100909/ARTICLES/100909743/1412?Title=Westboro-Baptish-Church-to-burn-Qurans-if-Dove-doesn-t)

What'cha wanna bet the MSM ignores Westboro again?

Screw Westboro in their inbred asses too. Neeeeeeext!

Trying to stopping audience loss to Fox Repug Propaganda network, CNN has been pandering to right-wing, close-minded, xenophobic, war-loving dumbfucks like Yoni, JackS, WC, ducky ducks. It's corporate bullshit, chasing advertizer $$. Like most of Amcerica, it's a total fraud, fake fabricated, insulting reality.

When anybody talks about reality, "the reality is ...", or reality TV, you know it's total bullshit.

Where in the world would you like to live, b_d? Is there any place in particular that does not have a fraudulent, faked, or insulting reality?

johnsmith
09-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Where in the world would you like to live, b_d? Is there any place in particular that does not have a fraudulent, faked, or insulting reality?

Makes you wonder if he's this miserable "in reality" as well huh?

boutons_deux
09-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Where does it matter where I want to live?

That doesn't change the fake, pathogenic "reality" of corporatized, dumbed down America.

Is this your "Love this bullshit country or leave it" suggestion?

Stringer_Bell
09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Where does it matter where I want to live?

That doesn't change the fake, pathogenic "reality" of corporatized, dumbed down America.

Is this your "Love this bullshit country or leave it" suggestion?

It matters because I asked you a genuine question, not because I had some ulterior motive. I actually spent 2 or 3 minutes after I posted it wondering what your answer would be...I was thinking you'd say Madagascar, not wallow in more miserable apprehensiveness. :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
There's an agenda...

Yeah, to make money. There is a reason NPR is the best news organization in this country.

boutons_deux
09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
If you aren't apprehensive about America, you're dumbed down as intended by the corps, or have enough money that you don't GAF what happening to America.

I only GAF about America because I live here,
and am not wealthy to afford not to GAF,
and my kids are trying to keep their heads above water, start families, secure a future.

DarrinS
09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If nothing else, at least this publicity stunt has shined a light on what the Quran is REALLY all about.

Winehole23
09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Namely?

clambake
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
If nothing else, at least this publicity stunt has shined a light on what the Quran is REALLY all about.

Namely?

darrin drawing a blank from his utube library.

Drachen
09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Maybe I don't pay quite as close of attention as you guys (I am not ever-trying to find articles to one-up the other side), but I don't think this thing went into overdrive until Petraeus spoke out against it. Before then it seemed like a very small story.

As far as westboro v dove. I think that Phelps got a ton of coverage in the 90's. Everyone already knows he is a douchebag its not news because its not NEWs. Now, to think that someone could be as big a douchebag or at least approach the douchieness of Phelps IS news. Its like when yall are trying to insult eachother saying "poster x just being the xyz he is supposed to be". Phelps does something its just Phelps being the evil he is supposed to be.