PDA

View Full Version : alamo drafthouse opening this weekend

MannyIsGod
08-11-2004, 04:23 AM
any of you familliar with alamo drafthouse in austin know how much that place kicks ass, and we finally will have one here in town.

the company bought the theaters in the westlake shopping center and will be opening this weekend. they show new movies but they also have special theme showings and show independent films as well. they server beer, wine, and food and unlike the stupid bijiou sytem, they have wait staff.

it kicks ass.

T Park Num 9
08-11-2004, 04:27 AM
got a website or a link to this place?

Sounds interesting.

IFC, on DirecTV, I usually flip it on, it usually has something interesting, or another yawning Michael Moore documentary.

Johnny Blaze 47
08-11-2004, 04:28 AM
I've seen it over there and have heard you guys talking about it. I'm going to try and make it out there before I head off to SM.

T Park Num 9
08-11-2004, 04:31 AM
now I reread the description.

So its pretty much like an expanded movie theatre,

but without the shitty popcorn, the candy, and the bratty kids.

Its actually a place where adults, can watch a film, enjoy a good glass of wine, and relax.

Im jacked, Blaze, you got any info on this?

Johnny Blaze 47
08-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Not much more than what I've seen some people post in here.

MannyIsGod
08-11-2004, 04:39 AM
www.drafthouse.com/ (http://www.drafthouse.com/)

scott
08-11-2004, 09:33 AM
A really good friend of mine is one of the head bartenders, and she has informed me that good chances are they WILL NOT open this weekend- the place just isn't ready.

Blood Dong
08-11-2004, 10:07 AM
these places are greatness, there are many of them in DFW. It should do very well.

Mark in Austin
08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
The original location in downtown Austin rules the world of theatres. One screen. No THX/Dolby superultrawidespectral shit. Not very many first-run mainstream movies. Mainly great theme nights like showing Office Space, and then having a crapload of old fax machines and copiers for the audience to beat the shit out of after the movie.

Or finding the star of a 70's blaxploitation movie , showning the movie and bringing him in to intro the film and sign autographs.

It's also home every year to Butt Numbathon (BNAT). The aintitcoolnews.com non-stop film festival/marathon.

WriterNum934
08-11-2004, 08:35 PM
these places are greatness, there are many of them in DFW. It should do very well.

Huh? The website only lists five. 3 in Austin, 1 in Houston, and the new San Antonio location.

scott
08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think he was referring to an Alamo Draft House per se, but rather places with the same concept.

SpursWoman
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Isn't there a place in Gruene or Wimberly that has sort of an outdoor movie theater...like a drive-in w/o cars, where you BYOB?

Someone I worked with talked about it once, but I forgot the name of it.

Sounds like my kind of place.

And TPark, if kids bother you at the movies....WTF are you doing going to see Harry Potter movies?

:lol

Guru of Nothing
08-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Screw this stuff. I have cable and a corner store.

That was a joke, sort of, but, using today as a random sample, I recorded 3 movies - The Vanishing (French subtitles); Beijeng Bicycles (Chinese subtitles) and ... whoops, I forgot to record Magnolia. I'll get over that. I also recorded 2 hours worth of shorts.

All of that on one channel (IFC). I have Sundance, TCM, AMC, 7 HBO channels, BBC, and a few others to choose from too.

Cool stuff.

I now return you to your original thread content.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I LOVE IFC and Sudance channels. Sadly, I have neither. I have AMC which is eh, ok, and Bravo. Thats about as good as it gets for me.

DuffMcCartney
08-12-2004, 12:38 AM
WTF are you doing going to see Harry Potter movies?

I only go to see Hermione, she is rounding out quite nicely don't you think? She puts the bra in abracadabra.

T Park Num 9
08-12-2004, 12:42 PM
ACM and TCM rock on Directv

Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, the assorted John Wayne movies, Spencer Tracy, The Thin Man, the Dr Kildare series, Katherine Hepburn.

Great great stuff on those channels. In my top 10 of movies, alot of them are from the 40's and 50's.

Tommy Duncan
08-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Lest we forget, Mister Sinus Theater. I went to see Karate Kid a few months back...haven't stopped laughing about it.

Doesn't hurt to have a bucket of COLD BEER :hat brought to you when you are watching a movie though.

NameDropper
08-12-2004, 01:02 PM
So how much does "great theatre experience" run?

You already have to drop a bundle just to watch a movie at The Forum. Do I need to get a loan to take my woman to see a flick?

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I can't wait for the new one to open. San Pedro/410. :toast

Blake
06-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I can't wait for the new one to open. San Pedro/410. :toast

me either. The one on Marbach/410 is dumpy compared to the ones they have built from the ground up.

The one at San Pedro/410 is gonna be niiice.

SpursStalker
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
i can't wait for the new one to open. San pedro/410. :toast

me either. The one on marbach/410 is dumpy compared to the ones they have built from the ground up.

The one at san pedro/410 is gonna be niiice.

Get Together?

:toast

JoeChalupa
06-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I may check it out if the prices are decent.

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
me either. The one on Marbach/410 is dumpy compared to the ones they have built from the ground up.

The one at San Pedro/410 is gonna be niiice.

Do you know I've never been there? :lol

Get Together?

:toast

Absolutely! :hat

I may check it out if the prices are decent.

Joe, we'll sneak you in. :lmao

SpursStalker
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Absolutely! :hat

Joe, we'll sneak you in. :lmao

:downspin:

I'll bring my suitcase to sneak Joe in

JoeChalupa
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
:lmao

z0sa
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
my cousin and a couple buds worked at the older one, and you have no idea how much pot every fucker there smokes on the job. i'd get blitzed with them in the back by the dumpster - be like 6 or 7 of em sometime, whole damn place or so it seemed.

leemajors
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
my cousin and a couple buds worked at the older one, and you have no idea how much pot every fucker there smokes on the job. i'd get blitzed with them in the back by the dumpster - be like 6 or 7 of em sometime, whole damn place or so it seemed.

sounds like most restaurants!

jcrod
06-04-2009, 02:52 PM
AMC has a top of the line dine in theatre. Forks and Screens, with a couple of houses called Suites.

The Suites are huge leather recliners that recline to a ling position. A tray that rotates to your lap or to the side and the food is good. They haven't expanded beyond their HQ in KC and doubt they'll come this way.

Sure is a nice setup, I'm told they're sold out two weeks in advance.

koriwhat
06-04-2009, 03:17 PM
the alamo drafthouse here in SA fuckin' blows! all the fucks there are hipsters who are too cool for school and are a bunch of fags. i know one of them personally, he's dating a friend of mine, and he's totally a fuckin' douche!

that location fuckin' blows, the place is shit, the screens are shit, the staff sucks, etc...

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 03:20 PM
the alamo drafthouse here in SA fuckin' blows! all the fucks there are hipsters who are too cool for school and are a bunch of fags. i know one of them personally, he's dating a friend of mine, and he's totally a fuckin' douche!

that location fuckin' blows, the place is shit, the screens are shit, the staff sucks, etc...

I don't think this new one will be like that. :tu It better not be.

koriwhat
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think this new one will be like that. :tu It better not be.

i hope not.

JudynTX
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
i hope not.

What would be bad ass is if they showed full-length concerts @ the Drafthouse. :toast Maybe I'll suggest that to the manager.

Frenzy
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
great place for a movie.

Mugshot
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I've never been to the one here, but I've been to the one in Austin on South Lamar.

DannyT
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
whens the opening? is it over there by the Target shoppiong center?

SA210
06-05-2009, 02:56 AM
I've been waiting for this next one to open up for while. Can't wait.

mexicanjunior
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I like the Studio Movie Grill's in Dallas better...