PDA

View Full Version : Retire Number 12

koriwhat
09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Ok, so I know I'm not the most liked around here and I get trolled daily but I would love to introduce to all of you a website I put on the net. It's very basic btw.

RetireNumber12.com is a site dedicated to Bruce Bowen getting his number raised up in the rafters at the AT&T Center. If you'd like to sign the ePetition, please head over to the site and do so.

Also, I will be adding a section for photos & videos and I would like to see a couple of you contribute if you'd like. If you are interested in contributing articles, photos, videos, etc... email [email protected] and by next week sometime you will know whether or not you can do so.

Btw, please trolls, don't spam this or me. I am only asking because this isn't about me, it's about Bruce.

Dr. Gonzo
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Do you have permission from the NBA to use their videos on your site?

spursdotcom
09-10-2010, 10:59 PM
The video is fine, but I'd suggest removing the AP article.

:toast

koriwhat
09-10-2010, 11:01 PM
The video is fine, but I'd suggest removing the AP article.

:toast

thanks!

GSH
09-11-2010, 06:58 PM
The best defensive player on a dynasty team that was defined by defense. The Hall of Fame is dominated by stats, which means that Bruce doesn't stand a chance there. But that should't be a factor when it comes to raising #12 to the rafters here in SA.

Think about all those times the Spurs were in close games, and shut the other team down in the last 5 minutes. It was the trademark of the team for so many years. Now... remember that it was Bruce Bowen who was locked up on the other teams' best scorers. Without that lockdown perimeter defense, how many of those close wins turn into close losses? Enough to change the history of the team, for sure.

DesignatedT
09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
He will get his # retired. It's just a matter of time.

SenorSpur
09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
If anyone has not yet heard Bowen's retirement press conference, I'd strongly advise going over to the site to take a listen. It's a good listen. Some funny stuff, as well.

Sign that petition guys.

The Truth #6
09-11-2010, 08:07 PM
The best defensive player on a dynasty team that was defined by defense. The Hall of Fame is dominated by stats, which means that Bruce doesn't stand a chance there. But that should't be a factor when it comes to raising #12 to the rafters here in SA.

Think about all those times the Spurs were in close games, and shut the other team down in the last 5 minutes. It was the trademark of the team for so many years. Now... remember that it was Bruce Bowen who was locked up on the other teams' best scorers. Without that lockdown perimeter defense, how many of those close wins turn into close losses? Enough to change the history of the team, for sure.

Bruce was great on defense and should have won DPOY at least one year. But, I'd say during our run Tim was the best defensive player on the team, and he too should have won a DPOY at some point. At least one of the two should have won one. The award is sort of a joke so in the end who cares.

SA210
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
He should have still been playing, but, yes he deserves his jersey up there. :tu

lefty
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Bowen replied to one of my Tweets once, so....

Yes, retire his number

DynastySpurs210
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Can you wait?!

DesignatedT
09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
That is a great video.

NickiRasgo
09-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Spurs should sign him as Asst. Coach, Bruce said that he will continue to support the Spurs. Wow!

SequSpur
09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I support this movement...especially if AJ # was retired.

mingus
09-11-2010, 11:53 PM
he's getting retired petition or not. this is retarded.

will_spurs
09-12-2010, 07:09 AM
What is the usual time between retirement and the jersey ceremony?

lotr1trekkie
09-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Bruce alsolutly should have his # enshined.
Without Bruce, we win no titles. '
If we wait too long, it will be Tim, Manu and Tony going first. BB was as valuable as AJ. In some ways he was the 'ideal Spur', unselfish, team oriented, and hard working. This year hopefully!

Mel_13
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Bruce will have his number retired, but recent history tells us it won't happen anytime soon. As there are no official standards for such things, the powers that be in an organization make the call. For the Spurs, that is Pop and Holt.

Look at the three most recent numbers retired, all under the Holt/Pop regime:

Robinson: Last game 6/2003, number retired 11/2003
Elliott: Last game 5/2001, number retired 3/2005
Johnson: Last game 5/2001, number retired 12/2007

If history is a guide, then Duncan's jersey will be retired before any other player from the 03-07 teams. If Duncan retires in 2012 and Manu retires in 2013, Bruce may have to wait for 2014 before his jersey is retired (I'm assuming that Tony will play for several years beyond 2013 and Bruce won't have to wait on Tony).

barbacoataco
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Somehow when Avery got his number retired everyone re-remembered him as a much better player than he was. Talk about how time changes people's memories. Some players get upgraded in the public consciousness after they retire, and some get down graded. So many fans assume that because a player's number is retired, or they are in the HOF, that they are better than other player's who don't have those credentials. But Larry Kenon was a way better player than Avery Johnson. In fact it isn't even close. Kenon was an All-star who was in the top 5 league leaders in multiple categories. Avery was on the verge of being traded or just cut loose for much of his career. He was never considered a top 5 PG, and for most of his career he was a below average player. But in 25 years fans will look at AJ and see that his number is retired, and Kenon's isn't, and they will rank him higher in "top 25" polls.

Bowen's number should be retired and fans should remember that he was a great player.

Cane
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Seems inevitable that Bowen's number will be retired.

ShoogarBear
09-13-2010, 12:53 AM
I support this movement...

And corn supports your movements.

elemento
09-13-2010, 02:19 AM
count on me

Bruce rocks !! my favorite Spur by far

howbouthemspurs
09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
His number will get retired! All Hail # 12!