PDA

View Full Version : Splitter = Oberto?

portnoy1
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
We are all excited to have a guy standing next to Tim Duncan who is actually over 6-10 for the first time in about 5yrs (if you count Rasho). The question around the forum seems to be, "How good is splitter?" We have comparisons to Scola, Varejao and even a mention of MJ himself. What we really should consider is how he stacks up to the previous Starting bigs next to Tim. 2010 Dice 5.8pts / 5.8rbs in 21min a gm. 2009 Bonner 8.2pts/4.8rbs in 24min a gm. 2008 Oberto 4.8pts/5.2rbs in 20min a gm. Some say Splitter will be a 12pt/7rb/2blk guy for the Spurs. All signs point to no, or at least not in the first season. Splitter can be better than Dice defensively because he can move his feet and has length/height. Splitter should be better than Bonner offensively because he can get high % low post points since he is tall and has some moves. Can Splitter be better than Oberto? It may seem an easy answer, However its an important question. Most would say yes 2011Splitter over 2008Oberto, however Oberto represents something that most Spurs fans forget ( CORPORATE KNOWLEDGE/ HIGH BB IQ). Oberto's stats dont jump out at you, however defensively he did a Solid job handling post players and bigs that like to step out (see Nowitzki). He also knew where his points would come from and didnt hurt his team offensively. He had good offensive court awareness(passing) and he understood the word ROTATE on defense. Oberto wasnt a 10rb/2blk a game guy, however he would get the Spurs extra possesions and would cut off guard penetration at the baseline. He was the starting Center on the Spurs last Championship/Championship run in the 2007 and 2008. Splitter I think will put up 7pts/5.5rbs and 0.5blk a game. Thats not impressive at all, however similiar to Oberto all he needs to do is play solid D (including help at the rim on penetration) and put up points off of TP/Manu pick n rolls. Double doubles are nice (See Drew Gooden) but simply doing your job will be even better for the Spurs. Once again Oberto was the starting Center for a championship winning team, Thats alot for Splitter to live up to. Sure he was great overseas and playing against US players, but in the Spurs system it takes discipline, and alot of brainpower. Dice has some of it, Bonner doesnt have much. Oberto had it all and couldnt jump over a piece of paper. So realistically the best we should hope for as Spurs fans is that Tiago fits like Oberto did with the Spurs.

DesignatedT
09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Much more athletic/skilled than Oberto was. Oberto was a very smart/tough player but Splitter has the qualities to be a premier C in this league if he can reach his full potential. By the time Oberto came here he was already capped out regarding his potential and also 6 or 7 years older than what Splitter is.

portnoy1
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I hope so. Oberto as slow as he was did alot of things for the Spurs that no one guy has been able to accomplish. Similiar to Robert Horry.

Mel_13
09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
So realistically the best we should hope for as Spurs fans is that Tiago fits like Oberto did with the Spurs.

1. It's OK to occasionally use the "enter" key to avoid the barely readable wall of text.

2. If 2010-11 Tiago can contribute as much as 2006-07 Oberto, I'd be happy.

3. There's absolutely no reason (yet) to believe that 2006-07 Oberto represents Tiago's ceiling with the Spurs. Let's wait as see how he plays over the course of 2-3 seasons in the NBA.

portnoy1
09-11-2010, 01:31 PM
1. It's OK to occasionally use the "enter" key to avoid the barely readable wall of text.

2. If 2010-11 Tiago can contribute as much as 2006-07 Oberto, I'd be happy.

3. There's absolutely no reason (yet) to believe that 2006-07 Oberto represents Tiago's ceiling with the Spurs. Let's wait as see how he plays over the course of 2-3 seasons in the NBA.
No, you misunderstood me. I mean in Tiago's first year. I hope he becomes that 12/10/2 guy in the coming years. You love to seriously anaylze my post I see. A little Anal, but I respect it.

Mel_13
09-11-2010, 01:33 PM
No, you misunderstood me. I mean in Tiago's first year. I hope he becomes that 12/10/2 guy in the coming years.

Then, as I said, I'd be happy with that. If Splitter can contribute as much in his first season with the Spurs as Oberto did in his second season, that would be just fine.

4>0rings
09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Splitter has more heart for the game...

kaji157
09-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Oberto´s second year was very good, despite stats not reflectin how important he was to the team. He was very fast taking advantage off doubles on Manu and Tim and was very active on the offensive glass gaining extra posessions that were not counted as rebounds.
As i fully believe Splitter can become a second year oberto in his first season statically i would be surprised if he can become as instrumental in winning as oberto was that year.
Actually Oberto´s best year as a Spur was in 07-08, i think his best play was in his second year despite being statically inferior than 07-08.

ChuckD
09-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think Oberto needed a year to adjust, I think Pop needed a year to adjust to him. Pop once said he had the best ugly game in the NBA, and that he didn't understand it at first. Splitter could have an impact in year one.

I always used to say "wouldn't it be nice if Oberto were more athletic and younger?". Well, get ready for that with Tiago.

ChuckD
09-11-2010, 05:58 PM
are you kidding? oberto was horrible. i'd rather have elson over oberto. splitter is gonna beast this year you watch.

Elson was beyond stupid. It doesn't matter how high you can jump or how fast you can run if you're ALWAYS in the wrong place on both offense and defense. Conversely, if you're always in the right place, like Oberto, good things happen, even with very limited athletic ability. On probably 20 NBA teams, he would have had the top BBIQ. On the Spurs, he was probably a close 3rd behind Manu and Tim.

bdictjames
09-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Oberto was amazing for the Spurs. He reminds me of Luis Scola, yet older. If only we could have gotten a younger version of him, but then again he would not be as wise. Those sneaky lay-ups were a favorite in the team.

Muser
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
are you kidding? oberto was horrible. i'd rather have elson over oberto. splitter is gonna beast this year you watch.

Dumbass

Man In Black
09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
As a 30 year old rookie, Oberto got the following averages:
1.7 PPG
.473 FG%
.556 FT%
2.1 RPG
.5 APG
.2 SPG
.2 BPG

At his best for the Spurs, Fab was 4.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG.
Splitter doesn't have far to go. As long as he's healthy and playing, just being 7 feet tall, more mobile, and active. He can get those numbers.

slick'81
09-12-2010, 01:22 PM
if u mean a bigger more athletic oberto than sure

sananspursfan21
09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
splitter should be able to contribute more on the scoreboard and should be more intimidating on the inside to name a couple things. splitter should be really good.

smeagol
09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Oberto was amazing for the Spurs. He reminds me of Luis Scola, yet older. If only we could have gotten a younger version of him, but then again he would not be as wise. Those sneaky lay-ups were a favorite in the team.

Or we could've gotten Scola . . .

Oh shit . . . sorry :bang

ducks
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
scola would have caused chemistry problems

ElNono
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't expect much from Tiago in his first season as a Spur. Lots of things he's going to have to adjust to. I expect much more from Blair and I hope he delivers.

DJ Mbenga
09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
he's just more athletic.

Leonard Curse
09-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Dumbass
hey buddy did you check muse out in dallas this year? have any idea when theyre coming to texas again?

Leonard Curse
09-13-2010, 12:22 AM
yeah i really wanted to like elson too almost to a stupid point but i finally came to terms the strong athletic guy in the middle did nothing for our team it sucked and yeah i think if it werent for obertos heart rhythms he would have retired silver and black