PDA

View Full Version : Javtokas vs US

jabol130
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Robertas Javtokas 7-12F 9reb 3ast 15pts vs the US in the World's Semifinals.
From following his international and euroleague play all i can say is that he tends to be pretty inconsistent with his offense but is a hard nosed banger type power forward with good defensive skills. Plus games like this one warrant another shot at bringing him over. I think the Spurs should give it another shot, maybe next year, if McDyess retires. He deserves a similar "look" Mahinimi got. This guy isn't getting any younger but should have at least a decent couple of years in him and I think would be great addition to a Duncan-Blair-Splitter rotation.

DesignatedT
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
pretty sure he just signed a contract in europe. So he wouldn't be available. I think he has pretty much given up on playing in the NBA.

jcrod
09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
It sucks because you can tell he would've been a good player if it weren't for the accident.

ChuckD
09-11-2010, 04:26 PM
He turned down an LLE offer from SA in 2006, and wouldn't probably be offered more than minimum as a 5th or 6th big now. He'll make more and play more in Europe. Unless someone makes a trade offer to SA (no doubt setting off a firestorm of Javto threads), I think his NBA window is shut.

ducks
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM
From following his international and euroleague play all i can say is that he tends to be pretty inconsistent with his offense but is a hard nosed banger type power forward with good defensive skills. Plus games like this one warrant another shot at bringing him over. I think the Spurs should give it another shot, maybe next year, if McDyess retires. He deserves a similar "look" Mahinimi got. This guy isn't getting any younger but should have at least a decent couple of years in him and I think would be great addition to a Duncan-Blair-Splitter rotation.
guy is a jerk
spurs paid all his medical bills
after he got well he was playing spurs offered him money and he was afraid to beat out booner ,ian and other bigs
talk about a guy who does not believe in himself
what a waste of air for this dude

benefactor
09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
pretty sure he just signed a contract in europe. So he wouldn't be available.
You are correct, sir. It's only been said on here a couple dozen times.

K-State Spur
09-11-2010, 06:40 PM

he had his chance to get more than a mahinimi type look a few years ago - he CHOSE not to. everybody has moved on except a few random spurstalk posters.

Mr. Body
09-12-2010, 10:18 AM
guy is a jerk
spurs paid all his medical bills
after he got well he was playing spurs offered him money and he was afraid to beat out booner ,ian and other bigs
talk about a guy who does not believe in himself
what a waste of air for this dude

This is all false (after the first two lines). Bonner and Mahinmi weren't even around at that point, anyway.

jabol130
09-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Javtokas got more money in Europe back when the spurs offered the LLE. That's reason he did not come over and you cannot blame him for it just as you can't give the Spurs too much credit for wanting to make sure their investment recovers from a career threatening injury. With that said, I do think the window is still open. He turned 30 this year and his contract with Valencia is for two years. I don't believe the Spurs could benefit much from bringing him over this year and maybe well set with their big man rotation next season as well. I just believe that unless there is a significant drop in his level of play within these next two years and the Spurs are in need of a big man he deserves a look in 2012. At that point McDyess will retire, who knows if Timmy will want to play any longer and even if he does Javtokas would be a nice addition. Hopefully Blair and Splitter will grow into a great dominant big man duo but even then it would be nice to see what Javto can do in the NBA. For now I have another Euro team to follow as Javtokas is joining De Colo in Valencia.

polandprzem
09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
javtokas would not impact spurs much

He is good defender and that's it. His O is really on wood level.

objective
09-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Javtokas wasn't offered anything. In fact, and the Express News archives can back this up if my memory is correct, Javtokas was the Spurs back-up plan if either Elson or Butler were matched.

Remember, the Spurs public desires for big men that summer were 1. Experienced NBA vet (Elson) and 2. Young big with Potential (Butler). Javtokas didn't qualify for either and that's why he wasn't even among the first two choices.

ducks
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Javtokas got more money in Europe back when the spurs offered the LLE. That's reason he did not come over and you cannot blame him for it just as you can't give the Spurs too much credit for wanting to make sure their investment recovers from a career threatening injury. With that said, I do think the window is still open. He turned 30 this year and his contract with Valencia is for two years. I don't believe the Spurs could benefit much from bringing him over this year and maybe well set with their big man rotation next season as well. I just believe that unless there is a significant drop in his level of play within these next two years and the Spurs are in need of a big man he deserves a look in 2012. At that point McDyess will retire, who knows if Timmy will want to play any longer and even if he does Javtokas would be a nice addition. Hopefully Blair and Splitter will grow into a great dominant big man duo but even then it would be nice to see what Javto can do in the NBA. For now I have another Euro team to follow as Javtokas is joining De Colo in Valencia.

HE WAS AFRAID OF PLAYING TIME that I know is true

Bruno
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
First, there isn't a lot of regret to have about Javtokas and his motorcycle accident. Javtokas' main weakness is that he has very few BB skills. Even with the athleticism he lost in this accident, he still would have been a highly flawed basketball player.

Second, the clock is ticking for Javtokas but he has the chance of playing with De Colo next season. Spurs will see a lot more of him next year than in previous years.

Third, I think Javtokas could be a decent end of the bench player. He is very limited and has lost almost all his athleticism but he plays hard, is strong, quite big and he knows his limitation. He could be a good 5th bigman playing an enforcer role.

mountainballer
09-13-2010, 03:14 AM
as far as I remember Spurs didn't offer the LLE or anything that comes close to that number. I think it was the minimum and maybe it wasn't even fully guaranteed money. maybe the LLE was the asking price from the Javtokas camp, or it's because it was the constantly mentioned number, when fans discussed the "accurate" offer in about a million threads about him. 2006 he looked decent in the Euroleague and as if he could have a future in the NBA as defensive big in a back up role (a Euro version of Shelden Williams ?), but I agree it would never have been more than 5th big. when he signed with Pana in 2006 he not only got more money offered, they likely also offered a more prominent role. (something that backfired for him, because he never found his niche in the system of Obradovic)

ChumpDumper
09-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Nothing special.

hater
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Javtokas > Splitter right now(for NBA) mainly due to toughness

in the future hopefully Splitter will muscle up

ChumpDumper
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Javtokas > Splitter right now(for NBA) mainly due to toughnesslolno

Mel_13
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM