PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy Hits Back at Pat Riley

namlook
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Stan Van Gundy Hits Back at Pat Riley With Harsh Remarks of His Own
by Nick Coman on Sep 11, 2010 6:29:58 PM

Stan Van Gundy doesn't take to being called out. So after Pat Riley called a press conference to hit back at his critics on Friday, the Orlando Magic coach decided to take things to the next level on Saturday.

Here's what Stan Van had to say about Riley's words.

"I thought it was pretty typical. I was kind of amused by it, especially reading down through the interview," Van Gundy told NBA.com. "He goes into Charles Barkley, me and Otis [Smith] and then says he doesn’t worry about what people say. Wait, you called the press conference, you went off and everybody and you don’t care what people say? Clearly, he cares a great deal about what people say. I was laughing when I saw that."

Van Gundy backed up Smith's questioning of LeBron James' competitive drive as well.

"Pat’s thing calling Otis’ remarks stupid, I don’t think they were any different than what several ex-players who played when Otis did had to say. They looked at the game differently back then and backed up what we said," Van Gundy said. "The position LeBron and (Chris) Bosh took isn’t necessarily wrong, but it’s different from what (Michael) Jordan, Magic (Johnson) and Larry Bird would have done. Otis was a part of that generation – he wasn’t at that level – but that’s the way those players looked at (James and Bosh going to Miami). Those (former players) wouldn’t have tried to team up. So what Otis said wasn’t a stupid remark. Unless of course you have a different opinion than Pat, then apparently it’s stupid."

Van Gundy also responded to Riley's complaint that he had made "moral judgments" about the Three Kings.

Along with claiming that the trio had opened themselves up for judgment by intentionally drawing so much attention to themselves this summer, Van Gundy insinuated that Riley was being hypocritical.

"Whether it’s appropriate to do it or not (to pass judgments) is another issue, but if it’s OK for Pat to do it he shouldn’t be judging other people," Van Gundy said. "Pat was upset that he and his guys have gotten some criticism, and he’s sensitive and the funniest part of the whole thing is him saying he doesn’t worry about what people say. My question is then, 'Why did you go and call your own press conference?’"

"Pat getting onto people for making moral judgments made me laugh,’’ Van Gundy continued. "I was with Pat when we had all of those Knicks series and he had no problem making moral judgments on my brother. What I read into that was that I guess Pat is the only one allowed to make those moral judgments and the rest of us can’t do that. I guess we didn’t realize that Pat’s the only allowed to do that."

The Heat will play the Magic October 29 for their home opener in South Beach.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/stan-van-gundy-hits-back-at-pat-riley-with-harsh-remarks-of-his-own.html

Venti Quattro
09-12-2010, 04:11 PM
i say pat riley should just put stan van gundy on his ignore list

Steve Kerr
09-12-2010, 04:48 PM
i say pat riley should just put stan van gundy on his ignore list
:lmao

ducks
09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
riley needs to grow up

LkrFan
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
He could have talked some real shit about him getting fired so that Pat and DWhistle's FTs could lead the cHeat to a title.

Nothing to see here. :wakeup

SouthTexasRancher
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Pat Riley is allowing that asshole, little Lebron James, make him into an asshole as well. Just shut the hell up Riley and make sure your girlieboyz show up come game day. Ain't no one gonna give your ass a trophy unless it is for the biggest group of eggheads around.

SomeCallMeTim
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
"Whether it’s appropriate to do it or not (to pass judgments) is another issue, but if it’s OK for Pat to do it he shouldn’t be judging other people," Van Gundy said. "Pat was upset that he and his guys have gotten some criticism, and he’s sensitive and the funniest part of the whole thing is him saying he doesn’t worry about what people say. My question is then, 'Why did you go and call your own press conference?’"

Good point. Riley's response was the ST equivalent of writing a long response to a thread to belabor the point that "I don't care about what you say."

Ace
09-12-2010, 11:05 PM
He could have talked some real shit about him getting fired so that Pat and DWhistle's FTs could lead the cHeat to a title.

Nothing to see here. :wakeup

Still butthurt over 2006?

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
All I can say is, I can't wait to see these two teams play.

Ace
09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
All I can say is, I can't wait to see these two teams play.

Won't be much a series. Orlando lacks the perimeter defenders to get past the Heat.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Won't be much a series. Orlando lacks the perimeter defenders to get past the Heat.

Hey, it doesn't matter to me if it's a rout or not. There's blood brewing here. Did you ever hear about the Olympic Water Polo match between the USSR and Hungary in 1956? Seems a revolution in Hungary spilled over to the games....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_in_the_Water_match

Let's see where this rivalry in Florida goes....

LkrFan
09-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Still butthurt over 2006?
I got questions and I needs some answers:

1) What have y'all done since 2006? Just checking. The Lakers have won 2 rings since then.

2) Will you guys win 8 titles like LeHype said? A simple yes or no will do.

3) I'm willing to bet y'all won't win 25% of that (that's 2 for illiterate cHeat fans). Am I wrong? If the answer is yes, will you guys win this year or next to start that run?

By the time you guys can sign someone to fill that doughnut hole you guys have in the middle, Dwhistle will be 30 - and not as explosive - and still without a jumpshot to save his life. :toast

DesignatedT
09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
pat riley is a little bitch and van gundy is a drunk.

TheManFromAcme
09-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Van Gundy better be careful. Riles might take mental notes.

ChuckD
09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Pat Riley is allowing that asshole, little Lebron James, make him into an asshole as well. Just shut the hell up Riley and make sure your girlieboyz show up come game day. Ain't no one gonna give your ass a trophy unless it is for the biggest group of eggheads around.

Pat Riley was a asshole LONG before LeHype showed up in SoBe. In fact, his little tirade is hilarious, considering the load of shit he dumped on Bowen for leaving Miami in 2001.

Muser
09-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Stan should work on making a better playbook other than shooting 3's instead of hitting back at anything.