PDA

View Full Version : Any pool/billiard players/fans out there?

midnightpulp
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Loved the game ever since I was a kid. Used to religiously watch Color of Money and The Hustler over and over and thought Fast Eddie Felson was the baddest motherfucker around. I also had aspirations of being a great pool player in those days and would practice for hours on my home table, hang around the local pool halls, etc.

So this thread is a shout out of sorts to a sport (or game) that no longer even faintly registers anymore in the American sport fan's consciousness.

If there's any players or fans out there, tell some stories, post your favorite trick shot vids, whatever.

I'll start out with this video that perfectly captures the myth of the "pool hustler":

ekyLXFehvvk

oh crap
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
oh fuck yeah. just got back from shooting pool and watching part of the Dallas game. funny thing is i used to suuuuck and would join friends mainly just to drink and socialize but over the last few years have really gotten into it, and developed into a pretty goddamn good player to boot. shit's fun drinking, sober, high, drunk.. i don't give a fuck. i'll murder anyone on this board on the table guaran-fuckin-teed.

balli
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
One time my buddy Jamie (who is the best pool player I personally know) and I were holding a table at Lumpy's Uptown and Alex Smith (then U of U QB) came in with his entourage. Two of them tried to take the table from us and lost. Two more of them tried to take the table from us and lost. And then Alex Smith and the last of his friends tried to take the table from us and we fucking destroyed them. That was pretty cool.

I don't play a lot anymore because I never go to the bar and I got sick of playing 8 ball against myself, but there was a time I was waaaaaaay into pool. Probably could be pretty good if I played consistently, but fuck it, I'd rather run shit in Call of Duty.

midnightpulp
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
One time my buddy Jamie (who is the best pool player I personally know) and I were holding a table at Lumpy's Uptown and Alex Smith (then U of U QB) came in with his entourage. Two of them tried to take the table from us and lost. Two more of them tried to take the table from us and lost. And then Alex Smith and the last of his friends tried to take the table from us and we fucking destroyed them. That was pretty cool.

I don't play a lot anymore because I never go to the bar and I got sick of playing 8 ball against myself, but there was a time I was waaaaaaay into pool. Probably could be pretty good if I played consistently, but fuck it, I'd rather run shit in Call of Duty.

Cool story.

The highlight of my pool career is placing 3rd in a local tournament hosted by a pool hall down the street from me. Tough tourney for a local. Level A players and above, many of whom competed in open professional tournaments. I was on my game that night, but missed an easy 9 ball to advance into the finals. Choke job. My 3rd place prize was a 12 pack of beer I couldn't even receive because I was 16 at the time.

At the same pool hall, I also saw Keith McCready (a legendary pool hustler who was pretty much unbeatable during the 80s in cash games) play the owner, Francisco Galindo, a great player himself, for 20K. Pretty cool thing to see for a 14 year old.

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
oh fuck yeah. just got back from shooting pool and watching part of the Dallas game. funny thing is i used to suuuuck and would join friends mainly just to drink and socialize but over the last few years have really gotten into it, and developed into a pretty goddamn good player to boot. shit's fun drinking, sober, high, drunk.. i don't give a fuck. i'll murder anyone on this board on the table guaran-fuckin-teed.

yeh same here man, usually would play for money loser pays the table, winner shouts drinks and cards after that...thats all we did, now everyone is old and doing there own shit, no more catchup ...

Xevious
09-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Loved the game ever since I was a kid. Used to religiously watch Color of Money and The Hustler over and over and thought Fast Eddie Felson was the baddest motherfucker around.
The Hustler is one of my favorite movies. :tu

I used to play pool at hole-in-the-wall bars all the time. But it has been years since I've played (or been in a bar for that matter).

pawe
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Philippines is the capital of pool. We have pool halls on every corner of every street. Kids as young as 9 shooting at a class C bracket already.
Im a great player myself, won 6 cash tournaments on sponsored pool halls in just 5 yrs of playing (maxed out on class B). My cue stick is wrapped in snake skin and autographed by Efren Reyes. Pool is a lovely game.

midnightpulp
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Philippines is the capital of pool. We have pool halls on every corner of every street. Kids as young as 9 shooting at a class C bracket already.
Im a great player myself, won 6 cash tournaments on sponsored pool halls in just 5 yrs of playing (maxed out on class B). My cue stick is wrapped in snake skin and autographed by Efren Reyes. Pool is a lovely game.

Efren is the Jordan of pool.

Or you can say that Jordan is the Efren of basketball.

SpursWoman
09-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I used to love playing pool ... and got to be pretty damn good at it. But that was in high school/college.

I've played maybe twice since my kids were born ... and they are 13 & 15. :(

phyzik
09-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I got a custom built Olhausen 8ft table in my game room. It was comissioned to be built for Friedrich Air Conditioning about 40 or 50 years ago... The company then had a raffle for employee's and my dad won it.

I've entered into several local bar tournaments and have 6 1st place trophies.

My buddy owns Hotshot billiards right next to the Alamo drafthouse theatre, I used to go there alot. Now I mainly play on my own table to keep my game up.

so yeah, I guess you could say I love me some billiards. :toast

one time I had a chick challenge me at some random resturant while me and a buddy where waiting for our take-out order. I was running the table on her and got on the 8-ball which was a pretty straight shot for the side pocket... Right before I strike the ball, the bitch yells out "bank shots on the 8!!" which caused me to fuck up. She made like 3 balls after that and then I called the 8 ball around 3 rails and made the shot. Did it on purpose to teach the bitch a lesson. I then told her she should be carefull about calling shit like that during the game because she might call out the wrong person and get a cue stick smashed upside her head. Got my order and left. :lol

Another time at Hotshots I was holding a table and like 8 guys challenged me for the table 1 after another. I held the table for the next 2 hours and only relenquished it because I was tired. Beat each of them like 2 or 3 times. Was something like a 22 game win streak. :lmao I was on fire that night.

One of my favorite movies is Poolhall Junkies... if you havnt seen it, check it out....

kRNyooGpgb4

I can make this shot now because of this movie. :lol

SourCandy
09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I played a few times. I liked playing the people who are not to good...mainly cause I see it more fun that way. If some one is pro and they clean the table where the fuck is the fun in that..

I could get better but I choose not to play too much for fear that I might get better. I want it to remain fun...and to me it's only fun when both players are ok...not all sharks.

The Reckoning
09-13-2010, 06:41 PM
one time i beat 50 consecutive people for my table, although there were atleast 10 other vacant tables. one of the guys was warren moon and his posse. i then beat the owner at closing and took his daughter home in his corvette that i won off him.

a little known secret is that the philippines is the capital of pool. i played a couple of games there and won a bag of cash and a sack of heroin.

true story.

benefactor
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I've always loved the game and wanted a table of my own, but I've never had a house big enough to accommodate one(which may change in the next few months). I played a lot in college and learned the finer points of the game from my best friend who basically supported himself hustling for over a year. I've only played sparingly since I got married but I'd love to get back into it again.

pawe
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
a little known secret is that the philippines is the capital of pool. i played a couple of games there and won a bag of cash and a sack of heroin.

true story.

I believe you if you are really that good and had tons of cash with you because there is no way locals will let a visiting player get out of the pool hall a winner. They will call and text each and every hustler on the area and surrounding cities til they win and defend their turf.
There was this one weekend where I saw a posse of billiard players out hustle each other. Almost all the best players in 5 cities were there and the money exchanged was enough to buy a house.

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
the ladies in here talkin about pulling, i like that

phyzik
09-14-2010, 01:19 AM

I run into people that talk like this quite a bit.... They are just talk. All of them.

You may think your good amongst your friends..... But play someone that really knows the game? you will find out differently.

I never talk trash during a game. I may lose here and there, but at least I dont look like a fool when I do lose. You? I wouldnt waste my time with.... Sorry, I've seen your kind for YEARS!!! Think they are so great because they have played their friends and won a few times against them..... Until they play me or MY friends that actually enter tournaments.

FYI, talking trash like that makes you an easy mark for a shark.... I've played fools like that over the years... And Im not talking playing them in billiards, more like "playing" them to give up thier money... Just from your story alone, I know you aint shit at billiards.... I'd be suprised if you even call your shots...

Anyone thats really good at it wouldnt make the claim of "being able to beat anyone". You would get run on a table with a real player. Not talking trash, just telling you the truth. I have played this game for well over 18 years, almost every day. I've been on your side and the other side. trust me when I say, you are a fool if you think you can take on people on this board, let alone people that have competed semi-professionally like I have.

Enter and win a few tournaments, then talk your game up. Other than that, beating your "friends" aint gonna cut it.... I've held tables for hours against "friends" like yours... I've heard all the talk before....

I've got the trophies to back my claim. What do you have?

benefactor
09-14-2010, 05:45 AM
^^:tu

I watched my friend take down dozens of loud mouths...some of them that kept on trying and trying until they were hundreds of dollars in the hole. He just say with the same flat expression..."wanna run it back?"

Muser
09-14-2010, 06:57 AM
I love pool, shame I suck though.

oh crap
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I run into people that talk like this quite a bit.... They are just talk. All of them.

You may think your good amongst your friends..... But play someone that really knows the game? you will find out differently.

I never talk trash during a game. I may lose here and there, but at least I dont look like a fool when I do lose. You? I wouldnt waste my time with.... Sorry, I've seen your kind for YEARS!!! Think they are so great because they have played their friends and won a few times against them..... Until they play me or MY friends that actually enter tournaments.

FYI, talking trash like that makes you an easy mark for a shark.... I've played fools like that over the years... And Im not talking playing them in billiards, more like "playing" them to give up thier money... Just from your story alone, I know you aint shit at billiards.... I'd be suprised if you even call your shots...

Anyone thats really good at it wouldnt make the claim of "being able to beat anyone". You would get run on a table with a real player. Not talking trash, just telling you the truth. I have played this game for well over 18 years, almost every day. I've been on your side and the other side. trust me when I say, you are a fool if you think you can take on people on this board, let alone people that have competed semi-professionally like I have.

Enter and win a few tournaments, then talk your game up. Other than that, beating your "friends" aint gonna cut it.... I've held tables for hours against "friends" like yours... I've heard all the talk before....

I've got the trophies to back my claim. What do you have?

:lmao:lmao

get over yourself, man. lol "semi-professional" a.k.a not good enough after 18 years to fucking cut it/?! are you fucking kidding me here? if i had the depressing life that you do, a queer brother, no social life and 18 years of my life to dedicate night and day to billiards, i'd sure as hell hope to have more than a couple local league awards to brag about. pretty fucking pathetic man. and who ever said i've only played against my friends, dickwad? it was partly hyperbole and buzz shit talking but i never claimed to be a world class player though i honestly would be comfortable claiming to beat at least 9 out of 10 of the losers on this board, perhaps yourself included since you've never really accomplished shit after almost 20 years of trying. wow.. just typing that makes me realize how pathetic and fruitless your efforts are. you're not even a glorified version of the 40 something year old you can find at the pool hall everyday by himself, there's one of you on every corner and they're the dime a dozen type. my claim to be better than most is no more offensive then your arrogant claim that you "wouldn't waste your time" on anyone. as far as natural talent and skill, one thing i do guarantee is that if i've invested as many years of my life into it as you and all things being equal, i'd surpass you easy. say it again, easy. so have a beer on me and try to talk yourself up to some fellow lonely loser at the local pool hall who might give a real shit about your tales of grandeur. till then, i'd be more concerned with the root reasons you have nothing else going on in your life, your momma raised a dick sucker and the reasons you've suddenly found your life wasted. oh, and you can take those generic "trophies" that they give away every week in every city in the country and shove em up your brothers ass.

midnightpulp
09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
The woofing between Phyzik and ohcrap. Ah, like I'm back in the pool hall.

A pool thread ain't a pool thread without woofing. If you guys both live in SA, set it up!

pawe
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
i honestly would be comfortable claiming to beat at least 9 out of 10 of the losers on this board, perhaps yourself included since you've never really accomplished shit after almost 20 years of trying.

You think you can beat 90% of the posters in this forum? Tough!
I think If this thread was a billiards tournament, you'll finish 4th.

phyzik
09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
:lmao:lmao

get over yourself, man. lol "semi-professional" a.k.a not good enough after 18 years to fucking cut it/?! are you fucking kidding me here? if i had the depressing life that you do, a queer brother, no social life and 18 years of my life to dedicate night and day to billiards, i'd sure as hell hope to have more than a couple local league awards to brag about. pretty fucking pathetic man. and who ever said i've only played against my friends, dickwad? it was partly hyperbole and buzz shit talking but i never claimed to be a world class player though i honestly would be comfortable claiming to beat at least 9 out of 10 of the losers on this board, perhaps yourself included since you've never really accomplished shit after almost 20 years of trying. wow.. just typing that makes me realize how pathetic and fruitless your efforts are. you're not even a glorified version of the 40 something year old you can find at the pool hall everyday by himself, there's one of you on every corner and they're the dime a dozen type. my claim to be better than most is no more offensive then your arrogant claim that you "wouldn't waste your time" on anyone. as far as natural talent and skill, one thing i do guarantee is that if i've invested as many years of my life into it as you and all things being equal, i'd surpass you easy. say it again, easy. so have a beer on me and try to talk yourself up to some fellow lonely loser at the local pool hall who might give a real shit about your tales of grandeur. till then, i'd be more concerned with the root reasons you have nothing else going on in your life, your momma raised a dick sucker and the reasons you've suddenly found your life wasted. oh, and you can take those generic "trophies" that they give away every week in every city in the country and shove em up your brothers ass.

LOL dedicating my life to billiards.... All i meant was I play a game or 2 every day... in my own house.... for fun....

Not exactly dedicating my life to it.

"investing my life into it" is an exaguration. I've been playing the game for 18 years, sure, but its not like its a profession, or even a hobby.... I just play when I can.

All I was pointing out was the fact that I run into people like you on the table almost every day, running their mouths... And yes, I was drunk when I posted the previous post... I may have been a little over zealous in my drunkedness and I apologize...

But let me be clear here.... I will meet you on any 8ft regulation table. Hell, make it a 9ft table or even those crappy ass 7ft quarter tables that are all run to shit in a corner bar. I have no problem losing a fair game... I just cant stand people that talk all kinds of shit about their game like they are some badass, which is what you came across as.

I will gladly play you in a few friendly games of pool. No reason to be hostile with eachother.... Lets have a few beers and shoot some stick.

Straight up 8-ball.... call your shots.

You decide if we use house sticks or bring our own arsenal. Personally, I would like to use house sticks just to make it impartial.... You dont want me to bring "Excalibur" as my friends call it. :lol

I live close to Crossroads mall.... pick a spot that would be convinient for both of us and we can hook up for a few games. :toast

Seriously... If your as good as you say you are, I would like to play you. I'm always looking for better players than me so I can up my game and learn. Just remember, talk is cheap.... I've heard the talk before.... Name a place and bring your A-game.

pawe
09-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Seriously... If your as good as you say you are, I would like to play you. I'm always looking for better players than me so I can up my game and learn. Just remember, talk is cheap.... I've heard the talk before.... Name a place and bring your A-game.

I name my cue stick too. :toast
I have a Cuetec brand with a customized snakeskin grip and transparent blue diamond tip.
Funny thing is that it is the same cue stick that was used by Earl "The Pearl" Strickland when he and Reyes were close rivals for a few tournaments. I tried to get both player's autograph but Strickland wont sign a cue stick that was already signed by Reyes.

Venti Quattro
09-15-2010, 05:09 AM

lol true. it's also used to settle scores.

Fighting for a chick? Settle it on the table.

oh crap
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
And yes, I was drunk when I posted the previous post... I may have been a little over zealous in my drunkedness and I apologize...

But let me be clear here.... I will meet you on any 8ft regulation table. Hell, make it a 9ft table or even those crappy ass 7ft quarter tables that are all run to shit in a corner bar. I have no problem losing a fair game... I just cant stand people that talk all kinds of shit about their game like they are some badass, which is what you came across as.

I will gladly play you in a few friendly games of pool. No reason to be hostile with eachother.... Lets have a few beers and shoot some stick.

Straight up 8-ball.... call your shots.

You decide if we use house sticks or bring our own arsenal. Personally, I would like to use house sticks just to make it impartial.... You dont want me to bring "Excalibur" as my friends call it. :lol

I live close to Crossroads mall.... pick a spot that would be convinient for both of us and we can hook up for a few games. :toast

fair enough, i took offense and think got overly defensive but i'm really a pretty reasonable guy. i'd definitely be up for a few games, the problem being logistics since i live in austin. i got a wedding to attend in san antonio come november but i'm open to trying to work this out if at all possible. i'm fine with 8 ball, callling shots and using house sticks. hell, maybe even play for a shot or two but don't usually make it a habit to play for money. i also don't mind losing a fair game and same as you, like to learn from better players, think it's the best way to improve, so if you best me, i'd readily admit it here or on any other forum.

The Reckoning
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
i smell a Sig bet

phyzik
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
fair enough, i took offense and think got overly defensive but i'm really a pretty reasonable guy. i'd definitely be up for a few games, the problem being logistics since i live in austin. i got a wedding to attend in san antonio come november but i'm open to trying to work this out if at all possible. i'm fine with 8 ball, callling shots and using house sticks. hell, maybe even play for a shot or two but don't usually make it a habit to play for money. i also don't mind losing a fair game and same as you, like to learn from better players, think it's the best way to improve, so if you best me, i'd readily admit it here or on any other forum.

Give me a date and a location where you are going to be staying. I will name a spot near there where we can party. :toast