PDA

View Full Version : How to sell tickets, Minnesota Edition.

Crytek
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Fullpage Ads shall do the trick. You can try it next year, Dan Gilbert.

via www.myfoxtwincities.com (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/sports/timberwolves-full-page-ad-sept-13-2010)

The time for talk is over

Okay, not quite. Right after this long-winded letter. Because we do have a lot of good things to talk about.

Fourteen months ago we laid out a plan: First, we would become a running team that plays an exciting un-tempo style of basketball. Second, we would get younger in order to build a team that could improve together and compete for a number of years. Third, we would instill a culture of hard work throughout our organization. Fourth, transparency. We’ll always let you know exactly what’s going on, occasionally via long-winded letters.

That was our plan over a year ago and it hasn’t changed on iota. In the off-season we added young, athletic wind players Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster and Lazar Hayward. They join Jonny Flynn, Corey Brewer and Wayne Ellington as guys who can get up and down the floo quickly and shoot the ball from the perimeter. We re-signed Darko Milicic and added Nikola Pekovic, giving us two more up-tempo big men to run with one of the best outlet passers in the game, Kevin Love. We took advantage of our cap room to acquire a potential star in Michael Beasley, who was the number one prospect in his high school class of 2007 and averaged 26 points and 12 rebounds in his one college season. And finally, we added Luke Ridnour, a push-the-pace player who becomes the team’s elder statesman at the age of 29.

We now have more shooting, athleticism and depth at every position, which will make us a better team this season. So will we challenge for the NBA championship this year?

No likely.

Ouch. This honesty thing is a bit painful. But the reality is, we still need that one dominant player.

It’s possible that that player could already be on our roster. We have eight guys who were selected in the top seven picks of their respective drafts, and the average age of those players is 22. So the potential is there for someone to emerge. But in case that doesn’t happen, we’ll continue to manage our salary cap so that we have the flexibility to make that one move that can change a franchise.

We are confident, however, that this team will be exciting to watch. For the first time in years Wolves fans are going to fell like they’re missing out if they aren’t in the arena. So in addition to player development we’re working hard on fan development, starting with variable pricing and Flex Pack ticket packages that let you pick the games and seats that you want. The bottom line for fans is: We’re making it easier than ever for you to be part of our turnaround.

There’s been a lot of talk this off-season. The naysayers certainly have been vocal. And while we can understand a certain amount of skepticism, we know we’ve turned the corner. And we’re anxious to get after that first tipped ball so we can start to prove it.

Enough talk. It’s time to play.

Oh, wait. We forgot to talk about Rubio.

Next time.

Cry Havoc
09-14-2010, 10:22 AM
That's pretty awesome. I mean, it's a marketing tactic like anything else, but admitting you won't win a title this year is ballsy. And the Twolves are probably going to surprise a lot of people. I could see them getting the 4-5th seed in the East.

Venti Quattro
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I could see them getting the 4-5th seed in the East.

but they'll still suck in the west :lmao

PGDynasty24
09-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Genius. Brutal Honesty and employing reverse psychology to pull in fans

Mark in Austin
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised they didn't compare Darko to Webber.

Cry Havoc
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
but they'll still suck in the west :lmao

Yeah, that's the problem. :lol

TheMACHINE
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Would be alot better if they used right grammar and correct spelling.

SomeCallMeTim
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM

I don't know, "guys who can get up and down the floo quickly" parses perfectly for me.

JamStone
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
That's pretty awesome. I mean, it's a marketing tactic like anything else, but admitting you won't win a title this year is ballsy. And the Twolves are probably going to surprise a lot of people. I could see them getting the 4-5th seed in the East.

Don't think it's all that "ballsy" to admit the team isn't going to compete for a title coming off six consecutive lottery seasons and a 15 win season.

Minnesota aren't better than Miami, Boston, Orlando, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, and probably not even better than Charlotte at this point. They'd be fighting for the 7-8th seed even Eastern Conference, imo.

Not sure why the OP didn't just copy and paste the article. Those grammar and spelling mistakes aren't in the article. Did the OP re-type the entire thing???

Kai
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/khaaan.jpg

angrydude
09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
whats the point when you can get good lower bowl tickets 30 minutes before the game off the street for 20 bucks.

Fpoonsie
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM

I don't know, "guys who can get up and down the floo quickly" parses perfectly for me.

Seriously. Don't people "proo"read stuff before sending it out.

Jesus. That's just lazy...

JamStone
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Seriously. Don't people "proo"read stuff before sending it out.

Jesus. That's just lazy...

Click the link. Those spelling and grammar mistakes aren't in the article that has the letter. That's why I'm wondering if the OP actually re-typed the whole thing.