PDA

View Full Version : Patriots trade Laurence Maroney to Denver

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5572724

The New England Patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots) on Tuesday traded running back Laurence Maroney (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9607) and their 2011 sixth-round pick to the Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos) for their fourth-round pick in 2011, team sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Idk what to think of this trade. It's not like they got great value for him and it's not like they have way better options at RB. Once Fragile Freddy goes down with his annual injury they're gonna regret this. This should be a lesson to BB that as good as Mark Ingram is taking RBs in the 1st round is never worth it.

IronMexican
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
The Patriots got a steal. Just getting him off the roster was a win.

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Maroney was not really put in situation to succeed. Now we're gonna watch him be a star for some other team:bang

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
The Patriots got a steal. Just getting him off the roster was a win.
If Fragile Freddy can stay healthy then it was a great trade to even manage a top 4 round draft pick for a guy who sucks and is gone after this season. Potentially tho they traded a decent insurance policy for Taylor this year, a guy in a contract year with a lot to prove.

LOL texans
The Josh McDaniels series of events there in Denver is just......wow.

Steve Kerr
Maroney was not really put in situation to succeed. Now we're gonna watch him be a star for some other team:bang
No way, he's gonna struggle to get carries as Knowshon Moreno's bag boy. That's not a scenario to worry about.

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
No way, he's gonna struggle to get carries as Knowshon Moreno's bag boy. That's not a scenario to worry about.

Only time will tell. He needs a team that is committed to the run and has an O-line capable of run-blocking

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 07:18 PM
And regardless of how good/bad he is somewhere else, it was pretty clear a change of scenery was the only thing that would motivate him. New England traded a RB who was not producing and got a mid draft pick that can be used on someone who might have something to contribute on the active roster. Even if he's a probowler 3 years down the road the trade from New England's perspective is still good.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
lol me flip flopping

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
And regardless of how good/bad he is somewhere else, it was pretty clear a change of scenery was the only thing that would motivate him. New England traded a RB who was not producing and got a mid draft pick that can be used on someone who might have something to contribute on the active roster. Even if he's a probowler 3 years down the road the trade from New England's perspective is still good.

It is only good if we take for granted that he was leaving after the season. Anyhow, Maroney run hard and with a purpose last season. He was coming along.

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
lol me flip flopping

I realized that.:lol
Sometimes posters' urge to argue and prove their point take them out of making sense

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
It is only good if we take for granted that he was leaving after the season. Anyhow, Maroney run hard and with a purpose last season. He was coming along.
Yeah but then he started fumbling the ball left and right. After all that and him being injured all preseason, BB probably had enough and figured screw it maybe he's talented but I'm tired of having to guess which Maroney shows up every week. Part of me wishes they gave him this season as a last chance, but they took what they could get and moved on.

It'll be interesting to see what the do at RB for next year, hopefully they don't use a 1st rounder on it since there are always more efficient ways to address RB.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Sometimes posters' urge to argue and prove their point take them out of making sense
In this case it isn't my urge to argue. I've always been a fan of Maroney's hadn't even given up on him yet prior to this trade, but it's made more sense now that I had time to think about it.

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah but then he started fumbling the ball left and right. After all that and him being injured all preseason, BB probably had enough and figured screw it maybe he's talented but I'm tired of having to guess which Maroney shows up every week. Part of me wishes they gave him this season as a last chance, but they took what they could get and moved on.

It'll be interesting to see what the do at RB for next year, hopefully they don't use a 1st rounder on it since there are always more efficient ways to address RB.
It's true he fumbled on the goaline that game, but he still fumbled the least in the league last year. I wish him well. I just don't agree with the fact that some people think he was a useless PoS that we had to get rid of.

In this case it isn't my urge to argue. I've always been a fan of Maroney's hadn't even given up on him yet prior to this trade, but it's made more sense now that I had time to think about it.
Fair enough. Let's hope we find a good replacement and he fares well wherever he will be next year

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I just don't agree with the fact that some people think he was a useless PoS that we had to get rid of.
That I'll agree with. The criticism he got for "spending too much time looking for holes" was bullshit. The reason he spent so much time looking for holes is because the offensive line never opened up any holes.

san antonio spurs
09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
That I'll agree with. The criticism he got for "spending too much time looking for holes" was bullshit. The reason he spent so much time looking for holes is because the offensive line never opened up any holes.

Exactly. I don't know the broncos' run blocking schemes, but maybe he'll have those holes.
Mcgahee has that same tendency of dancing at the line of scrimmage but he benefited from having holes to run through.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
WHAT THE FUCK.

Damn I cant even hate on New England like I hate the Jets. They actually do well and manage their team well without talking shit to anyone.

Maroney was good but to get a 4th round fucking pick for him is good value.
Chill brah, they used a 1st round pick on him. Turning a 1st rounder into a 4th rounder isn't exactly good value :lol

The Jets tho have mismanaged tons of shit and it might lead to their implosion real quick. That offensive line is a mess.

DesignatedT
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Maroney is a scrub

IronMexican
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
They have Ferguson and Mangold. Two of the best in their position. It can't be that much a wreck.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Did you hear about Rex and Schotty getting into a shoving match last night after the game? Oh those Jets.
Letting go of Faneca was retarded, especially since they thought Vladimir Ducasse was an adequate replacement (someone who played on a borderline division 2 team in college). Now that Ducasse is nowhere near NFL ready, Damien Woody's backup had to switch over to left guard, so they have trash at right tackle since Woody is an out of shape fatass and his backup has to fill in at left guard.

You can't come away with only 4-5 players in every draft for like 5 years straight with any room for error. They haven't placed any value on depth and they better pray they stay healthy all year.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
They have Ferguson and Mangold. Two of the best in their position. It can't be that much a wreck.
:lol D'Bust Fergy

IronMexican
09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Bust? I didn't watch yesterday's game, so I don't know if he played bad, but he was one of the best starters in 2009.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
:lol D'Bust

He's a great run blocker but his pass blocking at times is really a cause for concern at left tackle.

IronMexican
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
He was great last season brah.

The weak spot I saw last year was Damien Woody false starting every other possession.

Steve Kerr
09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah he was great with Allen Faneca next to him holding his hand on every play, lets see how he is on his own.

HarlemHeat37
09-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Good trade..

Buckhalter looked slow and always has major injury concerns, so getting Maroney is strictly a depth move, and swapping a 4th for a 6th isn't a significant loss IMO..Maroney is an underachiever and isn't that great in general, but he still has some untapped talent, hopefully a change of scenery helps..

monosylab1k
09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Maroney was not really put in situation to succeed.

Are you fucking retarded?

He was given chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance AND HE STILL FUCKED IT UP.

Belichick DID EVERYTHING HE POSSIBLY COULD to get Maroney to take over the starting job and keep it. HE HELD PRIVATE ONE-ON-ONE SESSIONS WITH HIM EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY LAST SEASON. What head coach in the NFL does that with any player? But when Maroney then fumbles going into the end zone not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in the final half of last year, that ABSOLUTELY should have been the last straw.

I hate letting him go simply because he's shown flashes of absolute brilliance. But don't act like his gazillion fuckups each season never existed. The guy is a complete moron who never took advantage of the opportunities in front of him. BELICHICK DID NOTHING BUT PUT HIM IN POSITION TO SUCCEED AND MARONEY WAS TOO GODDAMN STUPID TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

monosylab1k
09-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Sammy Morris was off to a terrific season in 07 before getting hurt. Same with Fred Taylor last season. Even BJGE has had success in limited playing time.

The run blocking is bad but not so bad that a guy as talented as Laurence Maroney can't find the same holes that fucking BenJarvis Green Ellis can.

The bottom line is that Maroney is a tremendous talent but probably the single dumbest football player on the planet.

Blake
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Denver is trying to catch Al Davis for worst general managing.

New England just doing what they do.....getting rid of waste and stockpiling picks.

Steve Kerr
09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Sammy Morris was off to a terrific season in 07 before getting hurt. Same with Fred Taylor last season. Even BJGE has had success in limited playing time.

The run blocking is bad but not so bad that a guy as talented as Laurence Maroney can't find the same holes that fucking BenJarvis Green Ellis can.

The bottom line is that Maroney is a tremendous talent but probably the single dumbest football player on the planet.
In 07 the run blocking was great, hence why Maroney averaged 4.5 YPC that season. Since then it's been absolute shit.

And as dumb as Maroney is, Antonio Cromartie is dumber :lol

monosylab1k
09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
In 07 the run blocking was great, hence why Maroney averaged 4.5 YPC that season. Since then it's been absolute shit.

And as dumb as Maroney is, Antonio Cromartie is dumber :lol

His decent YPC that season basically came from one game where he curbstomped the incredibly stout defense of the 1-15 Miami Dolphins.

Other than that the majority of the year he was in the 3.5 range.

Steve Kerr
09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
His decent YPC that season basically came from one game where he curbstomped the incredibly stout defense of the 1-15 Miami Dolphins.

Other than that the majority of the year he was in the 3.5 range.
Except for the great playoff run he had. A lot of it had to do with how much teams geared their defenses towards stopping the pass, but he was a good RB in 2007.

I've always had the theory that if you don't run the ball enough, your offensive line loses its ability to run block over time (hence Minnesota last year), so this is something I largely blame on Josh McDaniels for just completely abandoning the run in 2007 when he had absolutely no reason to.

san antonio spurs
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Are you fucking retarded?

He was given chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance after chance AND HE STILL FUCKED IT UP.

Belichick DID EVERYTHING HE POSSIBLY COULD to get Maroney to take over the starting job and keep it. HE HELD PRIVATE ONE-ON-ONE SESSIONS WITH HIM EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY LAST SEASON. What head coach in the NFL does that with any player? But when Maroney then fumbles going into the end zone not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in the final half of last year, that ABSOLUTELY should have been the last straw.

I hate letting him go simply because he's shown flashes of absolute brilliance. But don't act like his gazillion fuckups each season never existed. The guy is a complete moron who never took advantage of the opportunities in front of him. BELICHICK DID NOTHING BUT PUT HIM IN POSITION TO SUCCEED AND MARONEY WAS TOO GODDAMN STUPID TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

First of all, as adults lets stop with the name calling, it's so highschool like and quite frankly...well retarded:lol
Now on the subject, Maroney was constantly in Belichik's doghouse as much as Malik was with Pop. When I say to put him in a situation to succeed, it's not making him the starter. It's being committed to the run, calling run plays and teaching the O-Line how to block constantly.
Maroney was in Belichik's doghouse because he saw a back in him that he was not. He saw a Corey Dillon in him, a south-north kind of back, which he's not. This explains why Sammy Morris had more success in this system.
My point is that I understand Belichik not wanting to change his run schemes to suit Maroney' style, RB are easy to replace hence saying he did not put him in a situation to succeed.
The same thing can be said for other players, who struggle on one team and flourish on another.