PDA

View Full Version : Dampier waived

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Erick Dampier free to sign with any team

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Unable to swing a trade, the Charlotte Bobcats waived center Erick Dampier on Tuesday, voiding one of the NBA's most unique contracts and avoiding the dreaded luxury tax.

Dampier was in the last year of a seven-year, $73 million deal, but the $13 million for this season wasn't guaranteed because he failed to meet playing time requirements.

The Michael Jordan-owned Bobcats, desperate to get their payroll under the luxury tax threshold of $70.3 million, traded center Tyson Chandler to Dallas in July in a five-player trade that included Dampier's contract.

At first, Charlotte wasn't content in just waiving Dampier to clear cap room. Starting Monday, it could've packaged Dampier's contract in a multiplayer deal, possibly for a needed point guard. But the Bobcats found no takers in a deal that also would have kept Charlotte below the luxury tax.

Waiving Dampier leaves the Bobcats about $5 million shy of the luxury tax, a dollar-for-dollar tax Jordan has said the team wouldn't exceed.

"We explored several trade possibilities involving Erick, but ultimately we have been unable to find a viable option that we felt made our team better," general manager Rod Higgins said. "Out of respect to Erick, we have decided to release him at this time so he may pursue opportunities with other teams prior to training camp."

Once he clears waivers, the 35-year-old Dampier will be free to sign for any team for any salary. Miami, looking for help in the middle to round out its superstar lineup, could be a possibility.

It leaves the Bobcats with uncertainty at center and point guard. Chandler, who was acquired last year from New Orleans for Emeka Okafor, had an injury-plagued season with Charlotte and the Bobcats used Theo Ratliff as the starting center in the playoffs. Ratliff is gone, leaving Nazr Mohammed the likely starter going into training camp.

The Bobcats also lost starting point guard Raymond Felton to New York in free agency. D.J. Augustin, last season's backup, and newly signed Shaun Livingston will contend for the job unless Charlotte makes anther move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5572694

Ace
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
He'll be in a Heat uniform next week tbh

TinTin
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Dampier, 35, told The Miami Herald on Tuesday that he does not yet have a clear preference, but said he was impressed with the Heat's offseason moves to re-sign Dwyane Wade and add LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

"They have some good, young talent down there and can do a lot of big things,'' Dampier said. "Obviously, I want to be in a situation to compete for a championship. I haven't talked to my agent yet, so we'll go from there. But I've kept myself in good shape for 14 years, and still feel like I can play the game at a high level.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/14/1824986/dampier-released-by-bobcats-is.html

Ace
09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
And he'll be the fourth bum you all have at center. If you look at it seriously, this Heat team has a striking resemblance of the Cavs.

Lebron = Lebron
Z = A slower older version of Z
Bosh = A taller version of Jamison
Wade = A slightly better version of Mo Williams
Miller = Parker
Haslem = Andy Verafuck
House = Booby
James Jones = Moon
Charlmers = Delonte

So the only upgrade is with Wade over Mo... slightly. The Cavs had better big's so it's pretty much a wash.

Wade slightly better than Mo? So with the inevitable decline of Kobe next year, your saying he is now below Mo?

Ace
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Jamison > Bynum :lmao

HarlemHeat37
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
:lol I don't know how Luva is gonna bring himself to cheer against his man Bosh, it's probably going to break his heart..

sefant77
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
It was to cute to see the Bobcats fans bringing up all this C.Paul trade ideas after the Chandler trade.

badfish22
09-15-2010, 01:46 AM
but said he was impressed with the Heat's offseason moves to re-sign Dwyane Wade and add LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

I busted out laughing after reading this for some reason

Chillen
09-15-2010, 01:53 AM
If Miami can sign him I like their chances even more to come out of the East. It will be tough to beat Boston, but they need some size and Dampier gives them that.

The Franchise
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7202878.html

Seeking additional center depth with Yao Ming on a strict playing time limit, the Rockets have offered free agent center Erick Dampier a two-year, $4 million contract, a person with knowledge of the offer said on Wednesday.

Dampier, who was waived by the Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday, is also expected to consider a minimum contract offer from the Miami Heat and an offer from the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Rockets are also in talks with Utah Jazz restricted free agent center Kyrylo Fesenko, though the Jazz are expected to match the sort of salary-cap exception offer the Rockets could make.
Looks like Morey is trying to make him our third center. I guess it's a good move. :(

badfish22
09-16-2010, 01:07 AM
lol Rockets

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Bosh = A taller version of Jamison

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

Even though I agree with this, you of all people scoffing Bosh?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

21_Blessings
09-16-2010, 03:25 AM
He'll be in a Heat uniform next week tbh

Great. Bynum shits on Damp.

Fpoonsie
09-16-2010, 08:32 AM
:lol Go to Miami, Damp, go to Miami..

Miami has 1 flaw, which is size in the paint..Dampier was still one of the better post-up defenders and overall team defenders in the NBA last year(also one of the strongest players in the NBA), so he fits it perfectly..he's horrible offensively and might clog up the paint at times, but he fits the need defensively..

If Dampier goes there, :lol:lol..

:smchode:

Ace
09-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Great. Bynum shits on Damp.
Kinda like health shits on Bynum each year?

Ace
09-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Stop trying to compare Wade to Kobe. All Kobe does is bust his ass every time they meet.
I'd be surprised to see Kobe finish next season. Coming off surgery at his age isn't easy.

Giuseppe
09-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Though Bynum did put Perkins in the hospital in the nick-of-time three months and a couple days ago tonite, eh?

tee, hee.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Make no mistake about it, I have an entire arsenal of back peddling to do concerning that jack ass. Stay tuned, it will be fun.
As long as you acknowledge it's backpedaling :lol

Fortunately you've seen the light on that sissy cuck jump shooter.

Venti Quattro
09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Of course he's also taking his talents to Miami.

badfish22
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Make no mistake about it, I have an entire arsenal of back peddling to do concerning that jack ass. Stay tuned, it will be fun.

Finally. The moment he went to the Heat I knew this was coming sooner or later.