PDA

View Full Version : Yao Limited to 24 min a game

DJ Mbenga
09-16-2010, 11:17 AM
There will be no negotiations, no gray areas. Unless Yao Ming’s surgeon changes his mind and the plan, on all matters involving Yao’s playing time this season, the Rockets will not need to hold further meetings or reach compromises.
Most of all, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey pledged that he and coach Rick Adelman will not come to blows over a star center’s playing time, something Bulls vice president John Paxson and former coach Vinny Del Negro did when limiting Joakim Noah’s minutes last season as the Rockets will Yao’s this season.
Yao will play no more than 24 minutes per game, Rockets vice president and athletic trainer Keith Jones said. There will be no exceptions. If Yao has played his 24 minutes and the Rockets have the ball and eight seconds on the clock to make up a one-point deficit, Yao will not play those eight seconds.
Yao’s playing time will not average 24 minutes; it will end there. If he plays 22 minutes in one game, he will not play 26 the next. For that matter, if he plays two minutes one game, he will not play 26 the next. When Yao reaches his 24 minutes, he will be through for that game.

Policy could be tweaked

When Yao plays one night, he will skip much of the practice the next day, with the Rockets so determined to limit the demands on Yao that Jones and associate athletic trainer Jason Biles have already outlined Yao’s workout schedule from the start of camp Sept. 25 through the last game of the regular season.
“Twenty-four is his number all year,” Jones said. “Playoffs come, things could change. We’re trying to get him through April.
“We’re trying to give him the best chance to play the whole season by limiting stress. Even practices, if we play on Monday and play again on Wednesday, can he practice on Tuesday? No. He’ll practice, but he won’t scrimmage.”
Yao also is likely to be held out of the second half of back-to-backs, though that might not be the policy for the entire season. The team is also uncertain if Yao can play extra in the second half of a game if he was 
limited to only a few minutes in the first half.
Jones is certain, however, that Yao’s expected lobbying efforts will not change the plan.
“Yao is his own worst enemy,” Jones said. “He feels good and wants to go. We will be fighting him every day. I know we will. He’s going to feel good. He??s going to want to do more. He’s going to question us. He’s going to question the doctor. That’s Yao. He’s a competitor.
“We’re just trying to reduce the stress. With Yao, trying to come up with a number was kind of Dr. (Tom) Clanton’s thing to try to get him under 25 minutes. There is no bank. If he played 18 tonight, he doesn’t play 30 tomorrow.”
Yao has said he is committed to the plan after missing all or part of the past five seasons to bone-related injuries. Yao is, however, on pace to start training camp on time and is expected to play in the preseason and in the Oct. 26 season-opener in Los Angeles.
“We’re going to take what we think is a cautious approach to try to make sure he is healthy throughout the playoffs,” Morey said. “Does anyone know for sure what that best approach is? No. The question then becomes who is best to make an educated case, so given that criteria, you go with our medical staff.
“We have evidence that when he played 35 to 40 minutes he averaged two years ago there was a buildup of stress on his foot that led to it being injured in the playoffs. On some level, we have at least one indication 35 to 40 minutes might be too much. That would lead you to choose to look at having a limit.”

Veterans may follow suit

Yao might not be the only Rockets player with a time limit. While cutting Yao’s minutes is based on the hope it would prevent another stress injury, the Rockets believe it also keeps him fresher for the playoffs, a strategy that might be used with other veterans.
That strategy has worked in recent seasons for the Celtics and Spurs, and might be applied to Luis Scola and Shane Battier with the Rockets.
“With some of our other veterans, if it’s possible to maintain the pace we need to make playoffs or get homecourt in the West and reduce the wear and tear on them so that they’re fresher in the playoffs, we’ll look at that,” Morey said. “Unlike Yao Ming, where we know we’re going to limit him, I don’t know that anything is decided. But with all our veterans, given than they are so critical, and given that we feel we have maybe as good a depth as any team in the league, we may try to utilize that this year.”
With Yao, however, Morey said there will be no uncertainty and no chance of the contentiousness that Noah’s playing time became in Chicago last season, and not only because Morey would want no part of Adelman if it came to that.
“At the end of the day, it’s all about winning” Morey said. “It’s about winning in the playoffs. We’re choosing to limit Yao Ming and Yao Ming is in agreement that this is the best plan. We want him when it counts the most.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7202701.html

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
lol Daryl "GOAT GM" Morey building around someone who can only play 24 minutes a game.

IronMexican
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
24 more minutes than he'll be playing midway through the season.

Giuseppe
09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Poor guy doesn't stand a chinaman's chance.

Venti Quattro
09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Let's hope he even stays 15 mins per game on the court.

sefant77
09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
lol Daryl "GOAT GM" Morey building around someone who can only play 24 minutes a game.

and believing McGrady talking BS that he will be the old one again and not trading his ass out of Houston when he had still value (Detroit)

DJ Mbenga
09-16-2010, 12:46 PM
makes sense why they are going after dampier

sefant77
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
makes sense why they are going after dampier

And still the morons on clutchfans ripping this idea and Damp, rofl.

Allready just for this Yao should go down again. Damp is a solid 20min center and that pricetag of 4million/2 years is value too.

PGDynasty24
09-16-2010, 12:59 PM
So when playoffs come and he has to play heavy minutes his ass is gong to be winded as fuck

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Well I hate to hear this bullshit but he's on the last year of his deal. If he can't stay healthy after all this there's absolutely no reason to resign him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Well I hate to hear this bullshit but he's on the last year of his deal. If he can't stay healthy after all this there's absolutely no reason to resign him.

:lmao as if there is a reason to resign him anyway

Venti Quattro
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
He'll probably repatriate himself with China after this season... given that he even makes it past this season completely healthy.

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
:lmao as if there is a reason to resign him anyway

...can't disagree with that assessment. :lol

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Still if he can't play starter minutes he would make a great backup. He probably would retire before that though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
...can't disagree with that assessment. :lol
God dammit he's so bad now you can't even troll Rocketfan about him anymore :depressed

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
24 more minutes than he'll be playing midway through the season.

lol Pabst
lol Mexicano
lol LA

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
God dammit he's so bad now you can't even troll Rocketfan about him anymore :depressed

You never were able to troll me fool, I always knew up from down. How'd that strike go again? :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
You never were able to troll me fool, I always knew up from down. How'd that strike go again? :lmao
You got plenty butthurt in that Chris Bosh thread son. Anytime I can get Rocketfan to randomly bring up how shitty the Suns are I know it's successful trolling.

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
You got plenty butthurt in that Chris Bosh thread son. Anytime I can get Rocketfan to randomly bring up how shitty the Suns are I know it's successful trolling.

lol google

Double-Up
09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
It is what it is pimp, he's injury prone and that's that.

djohn2oo8
09-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Yea you can, just wait for Indazone to show up, but then again he trolls himself

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Yea you can, just wait for Indazone to show up, but then again he trolls himself
:lol true

"He should be banned for racial slurs :cry"

Muser
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Poor guy doesn't stand a chinaman's chance.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-10-07/1254883342591.png

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
i just wanna know why 24? why 24...;-) lol

BRHornet45
09-16-2010, 11:02 PM
sons this is why teams should never invest millions into asian, white, or mexican players. they will let you down 95% of the time. harsh truth.

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:15 PM
lookin ass nigga puttin gay smileys and shit..smh

Vulva or should I call you Apache Red ILK - your given tribe name...their aren't many of you left in the US...learn the native american 10 commandments...and leave the drugs, hood life, and niggas alone...you're disgracing your Indian heritage on the Kool...:lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

Vulvaface

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/nativeamericanart.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/native_ceremonial_eagle_dancer.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
lol rockets fail

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Vulva or should I call you Apache Red ILK - your given tribe name...their aren't many of you left in the US...learn the native american 10 commandments...and leave the drugs, hood life, and niggas alone...you're disgracing your Indian heritage on the Kool...:lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

Vulvaface

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/nativeamericanart.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/native_ceremonial_eagle_dancer.jpg

hey i forget Big Indian Chief...some dance music for your wild ass:

The Oak Cliff Homies Aint Gonna Like This Revelation One Bit...:lol

vX07j9SDFcc

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
i'm not apache you fucking moron :lmao sorry to fuck up your masterpiece googling pics and shit how long it take you to put that together hahaha you suck man get a life bahaha

denying the heritage... i like...too bad though you gonna own this one...Mr. I'm not black I'm native American....who'd a thunk...I saw the movie American Gangsta but Native American Gangsta...shit... this is some 28,000 leagues under the sea type shit...a fucking Indian Nino Brown...:lol

that invite can't come fast enough...:lol

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Same here, why 24. Why can it be rounded out to the closes digit "25"

I thought he was tryin to honor Kobe or some shit...after all Kobe is more popular than Yao Ming even in China...those chinamans love dat negro...

Trill Clinton
09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
$100 that jiggly ass in BRhornets sig is Roxy Reynolds. I spent a lot of lonely nights watching her videos.:hat

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
bro i just look like a mixed guy of latino descent, i mean if you saw me in the street you probably wouldn't be able to tell what my ethnic background was, don't cream your panties over me yet please ho...you'll have plenty chance to leak bodily fluids whenever we meet blood

and yeah i'm not apache, that's not denying my heritage. there are plenty of other tribes besides apache, you moron you :lol

you mean leak as in piss on you to wake you up after I 1-2 your ass...:lol

so what tribe you reppin... fuck Oak Cliff Hombre... we all know now that's a facade...what's the tribe name...consider this a genealogy test motherfucker...so you also pretend to Mexican when it's convenient..do you not have any honor about yourself...talk about hating oneself...geez...

I bet you hate old westerns ( cowboy movies) dont ya..:lmao

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:45 PM
and dont worry no one on ST will tell you that Koolaid is owning you...so we'll just pretend that he's not... lol

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
nah i just am who i am i look like a mixed dude you postin pics of tribal lookin dudes with feathers in their hair and shit is fake i'm just a nigga from the hood who made a name for himself for bein THAT down ass nigga who always handled business and i got out the game and got into college slowed my life down before i got touched and became another statistic shit aint sweet out here in these streets homie and ima make sure you remember me and where i'm from if you do try to step to me homeboy this is gonna be a mistake that sticks with you for the rest of your life

A Nigga or an Apache...ok..fine no Apache then you must be a fucking Navajo...you running outta options to come clean...I'm not hearing your Indian gangsta lean...shouldn't you be on a gaming reservation...the Government set them up for your people you know...

Man i done made u my bitch yet again 2nite...Fucking Indians...man Koolaid smoked your punk ass out that hiding hole...:rollin

Koolaid_Man
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnnn

Findog
09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
If you're only going to play him 24 mpg, then make him your sixth man and for when you're in the bonus.

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
that lil petty shit you plexin in Dallas...started in LA son.....shit rolls down hill not up son...

rdJbulfic-o

TinTin
09-17-2010, 12:10 AM
lion king is really telling me :rollin

:lmao

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
and bitchass nigga you're fuckin with a COMANCHE warrior..not no damn apache or navajo you reachin ass lookin nigga..but my gangsta transcends all racial boundaries i got mad respect in the streets you want plex you got it bitch

:lol Vulva got his Indian Navajo panties in a twist...Vulva girl pull that g-string out ya ass....lemme see...:lol

Bring tha lube when you come homie...get a large bottle and extra large condoms...I'm gone leave a gaping hole in dat ass...:lmao

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
ok...

Gar_K-S-BmE

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2010, 12:25 AM
niggas like you claim killa every day but they scared of these fuckin streets believe me..

:lmao:lmao:lmao....

not bad....you go girl...give me a little more gangsta to the left...a little eye shadow...with lite make-up...wear you're pink jacket...

if you want a role in a C-list movie I can make it happen...you have decent internet acting skills...but you have to be willing to waer the pink jacket...

not bad vulva not bad at all...:toast

Dallas niggas always trying to audition for LA's finest...

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao....

not bad....you go girl...give me a little more gangsta to the left...a little eye shadow...with lite make-up...wear you're pink jacket...

if you want a role in a C-list movie I can make it happen...you have decent internet acting skills...but you have to be willing to waer the pink jacket...

not bad vulva not bad at all...:toast

Dallas niggas always trying to audition for LA's finest...

ohh i forgot to give you some flashing lites sweetie...

76PbE8frfmk

Lars
09-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Damn, crippled #1 option and still better than 95% of the west.

Giuseppe
09-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Only Yao's contract remains at 100% committed.

Steve Kerr
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Last I checked Houston finished with the 9th best record in the west, meaning they were worse than 53.3% of the West. Not sure how your math worked there.

lol Texas education

djohn2oo8
09-17-2010, 09:35 AM

You still think Yao is a #1 option??? If he was, than he wouldn't be limited to 24 minutes a game and no back to backs. The number one option on that team right now should be Scola

SomeCallMeTim
09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I love how half the threads are now being derailed into YouTube fights between Vulva and Koolaid. And nothing says "street" like a YouTube fight.

Giuseppe
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Can ya imagine the doctor shopping/brow beating to get a physician to sign off on this half baked treatment plan?

Jesus, Mother Mary & Joseph.

The Franchise
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Jonathan Feigen has a pretty good idea about how to distribute his 24 minutes.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/09/yao_to_star_in_rockets_remake.html

My solution might not fly with the doctors, but it seems right.

Give Yao the game's first six to eight minutes. He takes you to the first time out. He helps get off to a good start. And then he takes a seat. That's it for the first half.

Brad Miller, come on down. Depending on matchups, Jordan Hill could pick up a few minutes in the middle the rest of the half. Maybe the Rockets add another center to the mix and juggle things depending on need that night. Yao, however, can take the rest of the half off.

When the second half begins, he would then have 16 to18 minutes left to play. Adelman can use him roughly as he always has in the second half, playing the same sort of second-half minutes as most All-Star centers.

The Rockets could establish a pretty reliable, consistent rotation. Adelman can return Yao to the game to make sure he gets to his 24 minutes at the final buzzer, rather than having to pull him when he gets to the magic number. Yao can be there for those final minutes, serving as the closer inside the Rockets lacked last season and every team covets.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Latarian Milton
09-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Shite will play 24mins an average game but he'll probably only play 3 games the whole season and enjoy the idle time sleeping with cheap bitches.