PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies give in, sign Henry and Vasquez to 120% rookie scale contracts

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Memphis Grizzlies agree to deals with Xavier Henry, Greivis Vasquez
By Ronald Tillery
Posted September 15, 2010 at 8 p.m., updated September 15, 2010 at 11:57 p.m.

A stalemate between the Grizzlies and their first-round draft picks has ended with the team agreeing to remove performance-based bonuses in its contract offers.

Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez agreed in principle to deals Wednesday night through their respective agents. Both players will sign contracts worth 120 percent of the NBA's rookie salary scale designated for their draft positions.

The Griz had offered 100 percent of the rookie salaries with an added 20 percent tied to performance clauses.

Team owner Michael Heisley changed his stance after a recent meeting with league officials, who detailed the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement with regard to rookie contracts.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy the issue has been resolved," Heisley said. "There's no question I'm doing what I should have probably done earlier."

Vasquez used his Twitter account to announce his arrival in Memphis at about 7:50 p.m. Wednesday. Henry is expected in town before the weekend to participate in informal workouts with his new teammates.

The agents for both players didn't respond to phone messages left by The Commercial Appeal.

But Arn Tellem, who represents Henry, was steadfast in his refusal to accept an incentive-laced deal for his client. Tellem rejected the Grizzlies' request for him to provide a counterproposal. He also advised Henry to not participate in the Grizzlies' summer league games.

Vasquez, who is represented by Herb Rudoy, played in the summer league with an additional insurance policy. But Vasquez was advised not to sign a contract for the same reason as Henry.

Both agents disagreed with the Grizzlies' inclusion of performance incentives in the deals. The majority of first-round picks have received 120 percent of rookie salaries without performance clauses since the scale was adopted.

Teams can pay players between 80 and 120 percent of an amount set by the league's rookie scale, according to the collective bargaining agreement. The Grizzlies' proposed incentive package included:

Participation in summer league.

A two-week workout program with the team's training staff.

Satisfying one of the following: play in NBA rookie/sophomore game during All-Star Game weekend, earn an all-rookie selection or average 15 minutes in at least 70 games.

"In the general spirit of the way (the CBA) was put together, I felt we should relent and not have a performance situation," Heisley said. "I don't think I was on the right side of the issue."

Tellem told The Associated Press last month that only one player out of more than 450 since the rookie salary scale was instituted in 1995 has agreed to a performance bonus.

"Basic fairness and equality are fundamental aspects of every positive organization-player relationship, and those concepts are totally absent from the Grizzlies' current proposal to Xavier," Tellem said, adding that no other team in this draft had asked a player to accept a performance incentive.

Heisley initially argued that it wasn't unreasonable to expect Henry (the 12th overall pick) to meet one of the last three requirements. He offered no explanation as to why Vasquez (the 28th overall pick) would be subject to the same clauses.

The Griz fielded several trade proposals for Henry but Heisley wasn't interested in moving the sharpshooter from Kansas.

The Grizzlies start training camp Sept. 28.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/sep/15/memphis-grizzlies-close-signing-draft-picks-xavier/

Veterinarian
09-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Team owner Michael Heisley changed his stance after a recent meeting with league officials, who detailed the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement with regard to rookie contracts.

"You're being a cheap cocksucker"

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-16-2010, 01:54 PM
:lol

freddy79
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
This guy just decided to give for the next 5 years 82 milions to Rudy Gay. But, at the same time, he thinks that guaranteeing to his two first round picks the full money of their rookie contracts is too much???

Rookie scale contracts for first rounders are a good deal for both parts: teams can sign their picks without overspending, and at the same time players can take a guaranteed contract, at least for a couple of years, this way having the time to prove themselves.

I just don't understand this guy. Trying to screw with a system that works (when you draft a player, you already know what are you going to spend: he doesn't deserve that money? You can trade the pick, or take another player), doesn't seem fair to me. You took the guys. You like them? Then you pay. You don't like them anymore. Then you make a trade for their rights. End of the story.

Doing this thing, Mr Heisley can only hurt himself and the Grizzlies (I don't think that players and agents will be happy to deal with him anymore...). And in the end, he achieved nothing...

freddy79
09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
This guy just decided to give for the next 5 years 82 milions to Rudy Gay. But, at the same time, he thinks that guaranteeing to his two first round picks the full money of their rookie contracts is too much???

Rookie scale contracts for first rounders are a good deal for both parts: teams can sign their picks without overspending, and at the same time players can take a guaranteed contract, at least for a couple of years, this way having the time to prove themselves.

I just don't understand this guy. Trying to screw with a system that works (when you draft a player, you already know what are you going to spend: he doesn't deserve that money? You can trade the pick, or take another player), doesn't seem fair to me. You took the guys. You like them? Then you pay. You don't like them anymore. Then you make a trade for their rights. End of the story.

Doing this thing, Mr Heisley can only hurt himself and the Grizzlies (I don't think that players and agents will be happy to deal with him anymore...). And in the end, he achieved nothing...

DJ Mbenga
09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
i can only imagine how negotiations will go with randolph

Dex
09-16-2010, 10:44 PM
:lmao Only the Grizzlies could be bullied by their own fucking draft pick.

noob cake
09-16-2010, 11:15 PM

Grizzlies was bullied by Arn Tellem who represents 16.6 percent of all Major League Baseball players and 18.2 percent of all NBA players.

Zelophehad
09-17-2010, 01:23 AM

Grizzlies was bullied by Arn Tellem who represents 16.6 percent of all Major League Baseball players and 18.2 percent of all NBA players.

You dumbasses realize they are just signing them for what every other NBA draft pick signs for, right? Everyone signs their rookie draft picks for 120% of the rookie scale and no one includes performance bonuses. The Grizzlies were just being notoriously cheap. That's why the league stepped in.

oligarchy
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
You dumbasses realize they are just signing them for what every other NBA draft pick signs for, right? Everyone signs their rookie draft picks for 120% of the rookie scale and no one includes performance bonuses. The Grizzlies were just being notoriously cheap. That's why the league stepped in.

There's actually been 5 players since the CBA started that have received less than the full 120%. The Spurs are responsible for 3 of those 5. Sergio Rodriguez was one, and I don't recall the other.

They did it with Ian Mahinmi. He was all over the place as far percentages, I don't believe any were 120%.

George Hill was given full 120% for the first 2 years, then 80%. His 80% percent was so low this year they had to raise it to the minimum salary.

Also, Anderson signed for 120% based on performance, and it declines to 115% the following year and 117% the year-after. All years have higher-than normal performance incentives.

Grizzlies are cheap, and Spurs are just good negotiators. :lol

oligarchy
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
As an added note, actually, most contracts are written as 100% with the additional 20% being an performance bonus, but with things that are very very easily attainable.

Zelophehad
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
There's actually been 5 players since the CBA started that have received less than the full 120%. The Spurs are responsible for 3 of those 5. Sergio Rodriguez was one, and I don't recall the other.

They did it with Ian Mahinmi. He was all over the place as far percentages, I don't believe any were 120%.

George Hill was given full 120% for the first 2 years, then 80%. His 80% percent was so low this year they had to raise it to the minimum salary.

Also, Anderson signed for 120% based on performance, and it declines to 115% the following year and 117% the year-after. All years have higher-than normal performance incentives.

Grizzlies are cheap, and Spurs are just good negotiators. :lol

Great pedantry.

5 out of how many?

Every single source on this topic has been calling Heisley cheap, he even went on an insane tirade on Memphis talk radio when confronted about his cheapness recently. They're the last two unsigned rookies and everyone, I mean everyone has been slamming Heisley for this. Just search Heisley and Henry on google news.

The Spurs are literally the only team to do this and that only works because they use the guise that they are the smartest FO in the league and rube some kids from IUPUI or some village in France into buying into that. If anyone stood up to them they'd fold like a house of cards as well.

Dex
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Shoulda just paid up in the first place then instead of inviting more bad publicity.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM

He's just like Sarver, he has no idea how the NBA works, his ego is so big he thinks he doesn't have to operate like all other NBA owners, and his logic is retarded. He's willing to shell out lucrative fully guaranteed deals to B-list talent, but rookie scale contracts that anyone who pays attention to the NBA knows are the best value contracts he thinks shouldn't be guaranteed? The only difference between Sarver and Heisley is that Sarver inherited a team that had tons of flexibility, stockpiled assets, and young talent.

ducks
09-17-2010, 02:03 PM

spurs do not