PDA

View Full Version : 48 MoH: Can DeJuan Blair be an All-Star when Tim Duncan retires?

duncan228
09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Can DeJuan Blair be an All-Star when Tim Duncan retires? (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

DeJuan Blair became a favorite of just about everybody involved with the Spurs in his single season in the NBA (there’s gotta be someone who doesn’t like him, right?). Selected with the 37th overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, analysts immediately dubbed Blair the steal of the draft. His 7.8 points and 6.4 rebounds per game were solid for a rookie, but nothing spectacular.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/09/16/dejuan-blair-future-all-star-when-tim-duncan-retires/#more-9519)

cantthinkofanything
09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I think he can turn into a very good player but will probably never be an All Star. He'll be a great rebounder but I think his size limits his offensive and defensive upside. And playing in San Antonio isn't going to help his case.

jestersmash
09-16-2010, 03:44 PM
He potentially can be, but it's not happening this year..or the next...or the next. Maybe 8-10 years down the road he'll be all star-caliber.

lefty
09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes

yes

cantthinkofanything
09-16-2010, 04:01 PM
He potentially can be, but it's not happening this year..or the next...or the next. Maybe 8-10 years down the road he'll be all star-caliber.

Ridiculous. If he was going to be an all star (which he's not), it would be in the next 3 or 4 years.

benefactor
09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
He may go on to average a double/double because of his rebounding ability, but his ceiling is probably a very good rotation big.

phxspurfan
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I see him as an Erick Dampier type, without the choke jobs every other game or annoying attitude

ohmwrecker
09-16-2010, 05:27 PM
It's possible . . . right now he is more of a Paul Millsap or a Jason Maxiell type, but if he can develop an outside game and get more solid on the defensive end, he could (with more minutes) knock on that all-star door. I could see him putting up all-star numbers for a season . . . post big three, of course.

timtonymanu
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I dont see him becoming an all-star. At best, he's a starting big. Kinda like a Kendrick Perkins type.

George Hill, OTOH, has potential to be an all-star.

MarCowMar
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Dennis Rodman was a two time All Star. Blair's rebounding is there but he'll either have to add some scoring or defense to warrant an All Star selection.

Fabbs
09-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Perhaps after Popovich retires, not Duncan.

Chucho
09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Jamal Magloire and Theo Ratliff both made teams, and while Ratliff was swatting shots, Blair can easily put up their rebounding and scoring numbers. So why not?

jestersmash
09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Ridiculous. If he was going to be an all star (which he's not), it would be in the next 3 or 4 years.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule like that. The only reason I suggested 8-10 years is because he's so young.

jestersmash
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Dennis Rodman was a two time All Star. Blair's rebounding is there but he'll either have to add some scoring or defense to warrant an All Star selection.

Blair was good for 8 PPG @ 55% in 18 minutes of play, and it's not like he was given free reign to shoot whenever he wants. I'd say that's pretty efficient. You give him starter minutes (30-35 minutes) and who knows.

lrrr
09-16-2010, 08:25 PM
If he can improve his defense, I think he can be. mroe importantly, he can become more of a contributor to the Spurs.

First he has to learn how to use his positives (quick feet and strength) to overcome his negative (lack of height). Guys like Barkley and Rodman did it. Hopefully Dejuan can too.

itzsoweezee
09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I think the milsap comparison is spot on. Dejuan needs to lose some weight though

Big P
09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
The real question is who will the FO get with the money freed up from a retiring TD...then we can talk about if Blair has enough talent around him to utilize his skills to possibly become an All-Star.

BoricuaCJA
09-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I think the milsap comparison is spot on. Dejuan needs to lose some weight though
He does look like he lost a lot of wieght from the music video in this article.

Manufan909
09-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I wonder how much he's actually lost. And I don't see him becoming an All-Star, but that shouldn't be judged on until he has at least 3 years under his belt. If he improves like Hill did from yr1 to yr2, he'll be very important to the Spurs success. As long as Pop isn't a 'tard and gives him Splitter's minutes when he should be giving him Bonner's minutes.

SenorSpur
09-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I see him as an Erick Dampier type, without the choke jobs every other game or annoying attitude

I'm not sure what you mean by that comparison, because they are nothing alike. Blair is ALREADY a better offensive player than Dampier. And if he develops a jump shot, he'll be a far and away better offensive player than him. Besides that, Blair has great hands, while Damp has the brickyard hands of both Nazr and Elson. Damp is obviously very strong and is better at setting screens and blocking shots.

Blair and Damp are very different players indeed. However, Blair is a more effective player because what he lacks is height, he makes up for in heart, desire and sheer determination. Tangible assets that Damp never had - unless it was a contract year, of course. In fact, when is the last time Damp had a 20-20 game?

lurker23
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
In fact, when is the last time Damp had a 20-20 game?

January 12th, 2004. In Dampier's only 20-20 game, he scored 23 points and collected 22 rebounds against the Memphis Grizzlies.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200401120GSW.html

He has, however, had 25 games in his career of 15 and 15.

phyzik
09-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm still waiting for him to Thabeet someone like James or Garnett....

uTnDkOAuwYs

dbestpro
09-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I want to give Blair the benefit of the doubt. It seems like there are quite a few here that think Blair has hit his peak after 1 year in the NBA and at the age of 21. I on the other hand believe he can get significantly better and that he has the heart to get there.

admiralsnackbar
09-17-2010, 12:01 AM
I can see Blair going to the AllStar game on fan voting before NBA-side voting because he was a popular college player (who rocked some judo on Thabeet), has a big personality with some underdog back-story and build, and will probably be productive enough to be noticed once he becomes a more prominent part of the rotation. All these things should mean highlight reels, and that may mean All-Star game.

ALVAREZ6
09-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Well considering the all-star game is a popularity contest, it is possible in that regard, but not likely.

Anyway, even if he gets tons of hustle rebounds, he is just too small for this league. I have trouble ever imaging Blair develop a serious offensive game, and as far as defense, he can be the toughest player and hustle a lot if he wants, he still won't be able to guard taller athletic guys like Amare, Howard, or any starting center in the league. He has no place other than a small-ball power forward. Given all that, it's doubtful he'll ever be an all-star. But I am a fan of what he does.

Sean Cagney
09-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Maybe alot like Malik, a guy who does things at the rights times and fans love him for his grit spite his size! He will be a better Malik as I see it, not an all star, but a guy who has that damn grit who you just love ane just want to see succeed! I see him as a 12 and 9 guy in his best year, but one you love on your team because of his grit and toughness! That game 4 against Dallas last year he really won me over! He was out there getting dirty with the rivalry and just literally went all out (Like Malik would have).

He reminds me so much of Rose it's scary.

ALVAREZ6
09-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Maybe alot like Malik, a guy who does things at the rights times and fans love him for his grit spite his size! He will be a better Malik as I see it, not an all star, but a guy who has that damn grit who you just love ane just want to see succeed! I see him as a 12 and 9 guy in his best year, but one you love on your team because of his grit and toughness! That game 4 against Dallas last year he really won me over! He was out there getting dirty with the rivalry and just literally went all out (Like Malik would have).

He reminds me so much of Rose it's scary.

Well yeah, they are very similar, from their size and skin color (not just black, but very similar shade), to their playing style and heart. And I agree, I value those qualities in a player very high. Guys like Blair, Manu, Nocioni, they don't give a fuck, they go out every night, throw their bodies around, and will do anything to win.

will_spurs
09-17-2010, 05:08 AM
I think the issue is not so much "will Blair be an All-Star in 3-4 years?" (which I think he has the potential for) as it is "will Blair still be playing at all in 3-4 years?"

Fabbs
09-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Blair was good for 8 PPG @ 55% in 18 minutes of play, and it's not like he was given free reign to shoot whenever he wants. I'd say that's pretty efficient. You give him starter minutes (30-35 minutes) and who knows.
:toast
12 pts/14.5 boards ave for about 9 games when Poppycock played him 30+

yavozerb
09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
:toast
12 pts/14.5 boards ave for about 9 games when Poppycock played him 30+

Even if pop gave Blair free reign of minutes, he would foul out before the 30 minute mark anyways :rolleyes..

dbestpro
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Even if pop gave Blair free reign of minutes, he would foul out before the 30 minute mark anyways :rolleyes..

Good point. This may be the case until the NBA pendulum swings back from being a soft league to a physical league.

DJB
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I believe Blair gonna replace Duncan and take his wife and lead the Spurs to a championship

WIN. :lmao