PDA

View Full Version : Hello Mr. Neal

Rummpd
09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/9/16/1689415/get-to-know-your-new-spurs-3-gary?ref=yahoo

Most of you know that I'm a big college basketball fan, but when Gary Neal showed up on the Summer League roster, his name didn't even register in the "Oh yeah, I remember that guy" portion of my brain. I think I speak for PtRdom when I say we were all a little surprised by the Gary Neal signing. The Spurs had just drafted James Anderson and seemed to already have a glut of guards. So why ink another SG? The answer would be 17 and 34, as in Neal shot 50% from behind the arc during his time in Vegas. I don't care if you're just playing HORSE in the backyard with Bubba, 50% from long range will win you some games.

Follow me after the jump to learn more about our latest (hopefully) 3-point gunner.

Neal was born in 1984 in Aberdeen, MD (which means he'll turn 26 in October - still a young 'un). Ken Rodriguez gives us a look at Gary's relationship with his older brothers, who had a big hand in his game. He averaged a triple-double his junior season for his local high school and led the team to a championship, hitting the game-winning shot. His senior season, Neal teamed up with Jack McClinton (small world, huh) to go 22-9. Gary also teamed with Carmelo Anthony to lead the AAU Baltimore team to their Final Four.

After high school, Gary attended LaSalle, where he was named the A-10 Rookie of the Year and led the team in scoring his freshman and sophomore years (18.6 ppg). After some well-documented troubles, Neal transferred to Towson to finish his collegiate career, putting up a line of 25.3 ppg, 3.5 apg, and 4.2 rpg his senior season. Unfortunately, those numbers weren't good enough to get a phone call on Draft Day, so Gary took his talents to Europe - Turkey to be exact.

I don't know where the Turkish basketball League falls in the hierarchy of European basketball, but leading any league with 26.5 ppg ain't too shabby (stats/game logs here). After a short stint with Barcelona, Gary signed with Benetton Treviso in the Italian Lega A - a team most of us have heard of. Neal earned the starting SG spot, continuing to put the ball in the hoop at a 19 ppg clip (more stats) and pretty much being the offense for a retooling squad. Gary had so much success (2nd All-Eurocup, dudes!) in Europe that Draft Express rated him the #4 Overseas Free Agent.

So where does Neal fit in with the Spurs? Well obviously, he is Mason's replacement as the instant offense guy. Gary has a decent handle and the ability to run an offense, but that's not what the Spurs are lacking; they just need him to catch and shoot (preferably with both feet behind the arc). Neal is an efficient scorer with a lot of experience in a pick and roll offense in Europe, so he should fit in just fine with the Spurs offense. At 6'-4", 210 lbs, Gary should be strictly a SG - I just don't see him playing any other position.

Yet, what's the one word you haven't read so far? Defense. Yes, that dreaded other part of the game. Well, the reason is simple - Gary has never been known as much of a defender. However, before you going running screaming from the room, both Draft Express and Ridiculous Upside mentioned that Neal played with intensity on the defensive end and was a pretty solid defender in Summer League. Gary is going to have to keep that up if he wants to get minutes in the crowded backcourt this year. I think we're going to have to wait until preseason to see how far Neal has to go on the defensive end.

So where does that leave us? With a possible starting SG. Of course, I'm assuming the Manu will continue to come off the bench and that we will see plenty of the Parker/Hill tandem too. But if we were to have any injuries this year (knock on wood), I think Neal's experience as a pro against a higher level of talent would make him a better choice for a spot start over an inexperienced rookie (Anderson), especially early in the year. However, Gary will have to expend effort on both ends and buy into the system or he could easily end up in Pop's doghouse, riding the pine. But if he's as good of a shooter as he seems to be, Tony and Manu are going to love kicking the ball out for corner pockets.

Not that he will quickly see action IMO but sounds promising?

HarlemHeat37
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
:lol @ Neal being the starting SG, that would be pathetic..

:lol sexual predator..

slick'81
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
wow starting sg

Rummpd
09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
The article is wrong - he will not start IMO now or perhaps ever, but will contribute - saw him play years ago in college and he could really shoot and from long range.

dbestpro
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Holy shit that's a lot of words

Agreed. Used a whole lot of words to say very little. Must be a politician.

lurker23
09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I really don't see him starting, either. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd put him ahead of James Anderson at this point. In my opinion, the hierarchy of starting SGs should go like this:

1. George Hill
2. Manu Ginobili
3. Gary Neal or James Anderson

spectator
09-17-2010, 12:19 AM
I really don't see him starting, either. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd put him ahead of James Anderson at this point. In my opinion, the hierarchy of starting SGs should go like this:

1. George Hill
2. Manu Ginobili
3. Gary Neal or James Anderson

this :toast

timtonymanu
09-17-2010, 12:31 AM
WTF? This guy hasnt played an NBA game and the author is saying he should be starting SG.

And i agree with lurker23. I want Hill starting, maybe Manu in some cases. Then Anderson. Then Neal.

jason1301
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
too soon to tell, but I don't mind a 5 man rotation at 1-2, especially early in the season, where we need to limit Manu's minutes anyways. Also who is going to play back up 3?

Bruno
09-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Agreed. Used a whole lot of words to say very little. Must be a politician.

Welcome to the blogging world.

Most of the bloggers write endless blog entries while they have nothing to say. That's the problem when you are passionate about a subject and you write on a numeric media where there are no length limits unlike a paper media.

Muser
09-17-2010, 07:06 AM
lol starting sg, he's going to be used like that dude we signed last year was. Can't even remember his name.

Thompson
09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
But if we were to have any injuries this year (knock on wood), I think Neal's experience as a pro against a higher level of talent would make him a better choice for a spot start over an inexperienced rookie (Anderson), especially early in the year.

So he's hoping we have injuries this year?

mountainballer
09-17-2010, 08:19 AM
reading this I can't avoid the feeling someone tries to sell me a used car.

Gary had so much success (2nd All-Eurocup, dudes!) in Europe that Draft Express rated him the #4 Overseas Free Agent.

wooooowww.
but wait, didn't DX rate a guy named Marcus Haislip #3 on that list one year before?
2nd all Eurocup? dude.
ever heard about El-Amin, Travis Hansen, Matt Nielsen, Sandro Nicevic. those were his team mates at the 2nd team. they are all close to become starters on NBA teams, right?
(what do we expect from De Colo, who happens to be all Eurocup 1st team? ROY? all star? all NBA?)

Rummpd
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Agreed & I just copied this (poorly written article) off a web site for discussion

Neal was a pretty great scoring college player, albeit at a small school. Then while he played overseas ok, and impressed in summer camp, I question the Spurs giving him a contract for 3 years (but the Spurs to be fair, have had some late route and overseas finds over the years).

mountainballer
09-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Agreed & I just copied this (poorly written article) off a web site for discussion

Neal was a pretty great scoring college player, albeit at a small school. Then while he played overseas ok, and impressed in summer camp, I question the Spurs giving him a contract for 3 years (but the Spurs to be fair, have had some late route and overseas finds over the years).

it's a minimum contract and 2nd and 3rd year are fully unguaranteed.
there isn't anything to question but the fact that Neal accepted such a contract. you can't get a more team friendly contract out of the CBA than that.
(ok, maybe if the 1st year also isn't guaranteed, if this is possible at all.)

yavozerb
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
it's a minimum contract and 2nd and 3rd year are fully unguaranteed.
there isn't anything to question but the fact that Neal accepted such a contract. you can't get a more team friendly contract out of the CBA than that.
(ok, maybe if the 1st year also isn't guaranteed, if this is possible at all.)

Agreed..I also expect Anderson to play some at the 3 so it would not shock me to see Neal get some pretty good pt (10-15 minutes) early in the season. I am rooting for the guy...

Russ
09-17-2010, 11:07 AM
How many expected Nets castoff Stephen Jackson to become what he was? This guy looks to have a little Jack in him.

As far as the comparison to Anderson, I've seen more from Neal than from Andy at this point. I just hope Anderson is not a creaky bust (and I trust he won't be).

ChumpDumper
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Decent blog entry, really. Don't agree with his starting, but he and Anderson could compete for minutes.

ceperez
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I agree, Neal could start a SG.

Here are the clear reasons:

(1) Anderson may still be in rehab.
(2) Anderson is a rookie and needs to understand the pro-game.
(3) Manu coming off the bench has always been a good option.
(4) The centerpiece started and he's not any better or bigger than Neal.

Of course, considering we also got Temple and Gee, it indeed is pretty crowded in the backcourt.

The Truth #6
09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
It's a blog post. He's a fan. He got excited. Who cares?

I do agree that Neal could be a starter at some point, especially if he continues to shoot lights out. He actually would complement Tim, Tony, and RJ by getting out of their way and camping out outside the line. That doesn't mean he's better than Hill, just that he would fill a need and possibly complement the other starters. Pop starts all sorts of lineups. Who knows what he'll do at some point.

At the same time, if he is actually good at the pick and roll he could play well with Manu and Tiago on the second team.

beachwood
09-17-2010, 08:27 PM
If Bogans or Bonner can start for the Spurs, then anything is possible.

intlspurshk
09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
He could start if he could become the new Jaren Jackson, which is not too much to ask for based on his expertise.

Pop would not trust rookie and hence James would not start unless his 3pt shooting translates well in NBA.

ohmwrecker
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM
He's not going to start unless he can play D. He will be a bench shooter until then.