PDA

View Full Version : Iceman

cantthinkofanything
09-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Where does George Gervin rank among the ABA players?
As a Spurs fan, I'm probably biased but I think this top 5 is pretty strong:

1) Dr J
2) Ice
3) Moses Malone
4) David Thompson
5) Artis Gilmore

From what I have read, Connie Hawkins might should be on this list but I personally don't know.

ohmwrecker
09-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Roger Brown, Louie Dampier, Mel Daniels, Dan Issel, etc.

There's a very entertaining book about the ABA called Loose Balls that every basketball fan should read.

lefty
09-17-2010, 04:03 PM
It's still summer @ Spurstalk

Libri
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

There's a very entertaining book about the ABA called Loose Balls that every basketball fan should read.

I have that book. The ABA was crazy. Obviously my favorite is the part where they talk about the Spurs.

spectator
09-17-2010, 06:18 PM
he ranks 32 IIRC in the book of basketball by simmons. however, i think it's better to rank him among small forwards. who would you place in the same discussion with him? pippen, lebron, dr. j, bird?

simmons makes the point that iceman's defense is the worst from the top 35. however, with the type of interior defense the spurs had in those years, it did not matter how well he defended, he just had to focus on scoring. still, on a good day he can hold his own by outscoring the opposition.

galvatron3000
09-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Connie Hawkins was ahead of alot of guys even by the time he came to NBA he made it look easy. yea he is top 5

SenorSpur
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Indeed - it is a wonderful read. It's a wild ride through the history of the ABA and up through the merger. A league that, many will be surprised, lasted a long as it did. Even if you don't know anything about the ABA, you'll find it to be a very entertaining book. Many, many wild and wooly stories. Must read.