PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most balanced line up ever?

cutewizard
09-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Hello guys and fellow Spurs fans,

Greetings! We all love the Spurs and I think we shall be in for a pleasant surprise this year:

The Oldies can still play: Tim, Manu and Parker

The "middle group" can actually win ballgames guys: RJ, Hill and Blair!
More on the middle group....look RJ is an nba star, he showed willingness to "relearn the system again"....that takes patience and determination. Hill has versatility and Blair can dominate certain games.....if you take out the legendary oldies....the three can still win games for you, we all know this....

Plus, add the young warriors:
Splitter is Rookie of the Year material, and NBA star material ....i dont care what the other analysts are thinking, he is already one of the best centers on earth.....Anderson can score and need only to learn the Spurs team defense....and Garrett Temple is also a unique material like Hill.....

Plus, add the rest....

Guys, this line up is very balanced, the most unique in years.

Imagine this: delete the LA Lakers from the NBA line up right now?

and then imagine the scenario: can we win? of course!!! We can beat the Heat, the Celtics, the Magic, the Mavs (always), the Suns .......etc

As to the Thunder, well, experience can prevail over youth in a tense seven game series......

See?

So we only need to figure out how to beat LA......

Gentlemen, we shall have an interesting season. Lemme hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

benefactor
09-18-2010, 08:20 AM
All RJ can star in is his own series on the Bravo channel.

MaNu4Tres
09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Spurs would be a lot more balanced if they had Adam Morrison starting at small forward

ChuckD
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Spurs would be a lot more balanced if they had Adam Morrison starting at small forward

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Right. Now we're going to start MAJOR NBA busts, just because they meet your height requirements.

MaNu4Tres
09-18-2010, 09:17 AM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Right. Now we're going to start MAJOR NBA busts, just because they meet your height requirements.

Sarcasm chief..

:hat

Chieflion
09-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Adding Bonner to the mix would also make the lineup very balanced with 3 point shooting.

ChuckD
09-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Sarcasm chief..

:hat

Ah. That makes sense. It's also damned hard to get across in the forum, especially when a ton of posters are truly pining for a player over 6'8"...ANY player over 6'8".

DrSteffo
09-18-2010, 10:42 AM
We have a very, very unbalanced team, lots of shooters at SG though.

8FOR!3
09-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having Adam Morrison on a serious note, but he should be the backup SF getting limited minutes at the end of the bench. I'd rather have Nachbar though.

galvatron3000
09-18-2010, 11:04 AM
2003 would hold that title. Most versatile GROUP the championship run teams have had. Deep with players who could play multiple positions.

Bruno
09-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Spurs are the NBA team with the less depth on the perimeter.
That's damn worrisome.

8FOR!3
09-18-2010, 11:08 AM
We've got a lot of shooters on our team.

Tony Parker, Gary Neal, George Hill, James Anderson, Richard Jefferson, Manu Ginobili, Garrett Temple, and Matt Bonner can all hit the three. Granted, Parker and Jefferson aren't great at it, but every once in a while they'll make one and don't shoot them at a ridiculous low percentage.

benefactor
09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Spurs are the NBA team with the less depth on the perimeter.
That's damn worrisome.
RJ is in his second year...and he worked with Pop.

Championship baby.

ALVAREZ6
09-18-2010, 12:26 PM
We've got a lot of shooters on our team.

Tony Parker, Gary Neal, George Hill, James Anderson, Richard Jefferson, Manu Ginobili, Garrett Temple, and Matt Bonner can all hit the three. Granted, Parker and Jefferson aren't great at it, but every once in a while they'll make one and don't shoot them at a ridiculous low percentage.

The bolded players are our shooters. Bonner forgets how to shoot, which is bad because that's all he's ever known to do, ever, TP sparingly takes the 3 ball, not really relevant to put him there, and RJ cannot shoot. The others have not proven enough, if anything.

jestersmash
09-18-2010, 12:37 PM
"Balance" to me is a nonsensical term within the context of NBA teams. You would have to explicitly define what you mean by "balance" in the context of NBA players before I could tell you whether or not I think our team is "balanced" by your standards.

Bruno
09-18-2010, 04:03 PM
RJ is in his second year...and he worked with Pop.

Championship baby.

Well, it wasn't really a blast to RJ.
Spurs have only 4 perimeter players (Parker, Hill, Ginoibli and Jefferson) who are NBA proven. That's crazy for a team whose goal is to win it all.

Solid D
09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Not even close to being the most balanced. They will have their challenges matching up with several teams, particularly teams with length.

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2010, 05:23 PM
:lol @ beating Miami..Spurs have a much better chance at beating LA than they do Miami..

As for the question..

The Spurs have 0 reliable perimeter defenders right now..Manu can defend well when he doesn't have too much offensive responsibility, but he obviously will, so his defensive ability comes down to help D/steals..

Hill has problems with lateral quickness and size inside, Temple is unproven and skinny, Parker is an average defender at best, Anderson is completely unproven and was never known as a defender, and Neal is unproven and has never been known as a defender at all..

Jefferson shows occasional flashes of help D, but he's an average overall defender that struggles with his lateral quickness and basketball IQ(missed a lot of rotations last year, should be better this year, but still has a relatively low IQ IMO)..

Spurs don't have reliable shooters..Bonner chokes in the playoffs, Hill is only consistent from the corners so far, Manu is streaky, Jefferson is average, Parker isn't an outside shooter, Anderson and Neal are unproven..

Spurs don't have interior defenders outside of Duncan..Splitter is unproven, Bonner is a below average interior defender, McDyess is average, Blair is terrible..

Spurs lack proven depth on the perimeter, as Bruno mentioned..

The Spurs have a lot of unproven players, so it's too early to make statements like the OP is trying to do..we'll have to see what happens a few months into the season..

The Spurs do have some strengths, obviously..playmakers(Manu, TP, Timmy), basketball IQ, coaching, interior scoring(Duncan, Blair, Jefferson, Ginobili, Parker, Hill), penetration(Parker, Ginobili, Hill, sometimes Jefferson) and other strengths..not the most balanced team, though..

ohmwrecker
09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Harlem's comments are brought to you by Morton's Salt (Huge Grain Style).

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Why?..

Lukor
09-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Actually the Spurs and Mavs could do some trades where both teams would end up being better in terms of balance :toast

ohmwrecker
09-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Let's face it . . . you are a Heat fan now. Although, you make some good points, I still can only take you as seriously as I would Mavfan, Lakerfan, etc . . .

Actually the Spurs and Mavs could do some trades where both teams would end up being better in terms of balance :toast

Right on cue.

kobyz
09-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Spurs definitely improve from last year, Splitter is a great addition, James Anderson is a good draft pick, Blair and Hill should be better and also RJ...
but even with this, with the team they have now i think Spurs are one move away for being contender, like another quality player, like one more improvment, because of it i was disappointed that Spurs didn't make another move, didn't use all their future assets.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, it wasn't really a blast to RJ.
Spurs have only 4 perimeter players (Parker, Hill, Ginoibli and Jefferson) who are NBA proven. That's crazy for a team whose goal is to win it all.

I guess.

Those 4 players are all going to get 100+ minutes a night for the season. Thats three spots for 126 minutes. 100 mintues is lowballing it.

You are also basically saying that all of Anderson, Gee, Neal and Temple are not going to merit 26 minutes of average play or at least better than Mason, Bogans and Finley.

Sure we need those 4 guys to be healthy and a young guy to step up but I just do not see what you are getting at.

I'm fine with an 10 man rotation of Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Hill, Blair, Bonner and Anderson/Gee/Neal/Temple.

I actually like the fact that we are going to see some young guys get some minutes over the likes of Bogans, Finley and Mason. It also precludes small ball.

Bruno
09-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I guess.

Those 4 players are all going to get 100+ minutes a night for the season. Thats three spots for 126 minutes. 100 mintues is lowballing it.

You are also basically saying that all of Anderson, Gee, Neal and Temple are not going to merit 26 minutes of average play or at least better than Mason, Bogans and Finley.

Sure we need those 4 guys to be healthy and a young guy to step up but I just do not see what you are getting at.

I'm fine with an 10 man rotation of Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Hill, Blair, Bonner and Anderson/Gee/Neal/Temple.

I actually like the fact that we are going to see some young guys get some minutes over the likes of Bogans, Finley and Mason. It also precludes small ball.

First, there are 144 min available per game on the perimeter. It doesn't change that I agree with you that few minutes behind Parker/Hill/Ginobili/Jefferson will be available when it will matter because they will play significantly more than 100mpg during the playoffs.

Second, I find that saying Spurs are fine because the situation is better than last year is just flawed logic. Last year depth was a disaster and Spurs got swept in playoffs. Being better than horrible doesn't mean that you're good.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
:lol @ beating Miami..Spurs have a much better chance at beating LA than they do Miami..

As for the question..

The Spurs have 0 reliable perimeter defenders right now..Manu can defend well when he doesn't have too much offensive responsibility, but he obviously will, so his defensive ability comes down to help D/steals..

Hill has problems with lateral quickness and size inside, Temple is unproven and skinny, Parker is an average defender at best, Anderson is completely unproven and was never known as a defender, and Neal is unproven and has never been known as a defender at all..

Jefferson shows occasional flashes of help D, but he's an average overall defender that struggles with his lateral quickness and basketball IQ(missed a lot of rotations last year, should be better this year, but still has a relatively low IQ IMO)..

Spurs don't have reliable shooters..Bonner chokes in the playoffs, Hill is only consistent from the corners so far, Manu is streaky, Jefferson is average, Parker isn't an outside shooter, Anderson and Neal are unproven..

Spurs don't have interior defenders outside of Duncan..Splitter is unproven, Bonner is a below average interior defender, McDyess is average, Blair is terrible..

Spurs lack proven depth on the perimeter, as Bruno mentioned..

The Spurs have a lot of unproven players, so it's too early to make statements like the OP is trying to do..we'll have to see what happens a few months into the season..

The Spurs do have some strengths, obviously..playmakers(Manu, TP, Timmy), basketball IQ, coaching, interior scoring(Duncan, Blair, Jefferson, Ginobili, Parker, Hill), penetration(Parker, Ginobili, Hill, sometimes Jefferson) and other strengths..not the most balanced team, though..

Hill has issues defending Steve Nash on pick and rolls when shooters hitting over 50% for three are spacing the floor. All players have issues defending quicker guards. Hill is still better than most. I do not buy the size garbage. He is a + defender.

Manu will not need to score 20+ a night if Duncan and Parker are healthy. He is a + defender.

Parker doesn't put full effort on defense until the playoffs. When he fights through pick and rolls, he is a + defender.

Jefferson is the key if he can play average defense on opposing SF then we will be okay. It was his rotations that killed us over and over again. We need him to step up.

Temple showed flashes of +defender last year.

'Streak' Manu hit 38%. 'Choker' Bonner shot 37% from 3 in the playoffs. He is not going to get many minutes with bigs like Duncan, Splitter, Blair, and McDyess on the roster. Parker shoots a high percentage above the key. Jefferson was bad last year but is a career 36% shooter which is what the 9th place shooting Hawks shot.

Hill is absolute money from the corner and the Spurs live off that corner three. He shot 2.5 3s a game at 40%. Neal and Anderson are unknowns but they ARE known for being great shooters.

Duncan is one of the best interior defenders of all time. Splitter is unproven but he is known for solid interior defense. McDyess is a +defender as he showed when he stopped pulling an Horry.

And dear lord get off the Miami chode. They have not even had a team practice yet. This is not fantasy basketball.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
First, there are 144 min available per game on the perimeter. It doesn't change that I agree with you that few minutes behind Parker/Hill/Ginobili/Jefferson will be available when it will matter because they will play significantly more than 100mpg during the playoffs.

Second, I find that saying Spurs are fine because the situation is better than last year is just flawed logic. Last year depth was a disaster and Spurs got swept in playoffs. Being better than horrible doesn't mean that you're good.

Our perimeter rotation had nothing to do with Phoenix's bigs shooting 50+% from three. We also beat a 2nd place Dallas team who was scorching hot coming into the playoffs.

Those 4 are going to play more than 100 minutes during the regular season. They went for 120 last year. When they are playing 35+ for the playoffs then there are going to be no minutes behind them.

The rotation was a clusterfuck last year because Parker, Manu, and Mason were out or playing hurt for periods of time. Who would have ever thought that Parker missing 25 games and not coming back until the last month of the season would have fucked up our rotation?

If we are healthy we are fine.

ElNono
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Hill just has horrible footwork... A guy like Nash just schooled him with fakes and dribbles while making layup after layup. I hope he worked on that in the summer.

RJ simply can't move laterally... quicker players simply go around him. He can be a decent help defender because he has hops, so he will have the occasional blocked shot, but that's about it.

Tony and Manu are our best defenders on the perimeter, period. And neither is what you would call a stopper (Bowen, Artest, Ariza... that kind of defender).

On the interior defense, the jury is still out, but basically any improvement will come from whatever Splitter can give you. Duncan is a year older and he's our best defender.

I'm not concerned about the offense. We had enough of that last season too. But there's plenty of talented offensive teams. When push come to shove, you're going to need stops, and that's something we didn't have last season. I don't see how we made progress on that with the current roster either.

DrSteffo
09-19-2010, 01:54 AM
I completely agree with ElNono. The big 3 are our best defenders and I don't think that's a good thing since they are getting older and we need them on O too. I like Hill and Blair but both have obvious limitations on D.

Another unbalanced team position wise is the Pistons and they have what we lack, tall SFs who can defend.

lotr1trekkie
09-19-2010, 09:28 AM
This team will have a lot of small-ball lineups. I would not be opposed to bringing Tim and Manu off the bench together. Robinson will also be huge for any title run. We need a pure scorer.

duhoh
09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
2003 would hold that title. Most versatile GROUP the championship run teams have had. Deep with players who could play multiple positions.

only, that team sucked on the court. on paper, it sounds amazing.

that was duncan's brilliance that led to such heights.

He shot 2.5 3s a game at 40%. Neal and Anderson are unknowns but they ARE known for being great shooters.

Duncan is one of the best interior defenders of all time. Splitter is unproven but he is known for solid interior defense. McDyess is a +defender as he showed when he stopped pulling an Horry.

And dear lord get off the Miami chode. They have not even had a team practice yet. This is not fantasy basketball.

Irony :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Irony :lol

Not really. I try using empirical examples and my view is hardly the popular one around here where ists virtue to be miserable and despairing.

And irony sets itself around expectations of certain events. Miami not winning the title after all the chodeblowing would be ironic. Manu being a good defender when he already is is not.

DPG21920
09-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Not really. I try using empirical examples and my view is hardly the popular one around here where ists virtue to be miserable and despairing.

:lol Hyperbole master.

Being realistic about expectations does not mean one is miserable.

Chomag
09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Still one of the better line ups for the Spurs but it's far from the most balanced. There is just way to many holes.

Ace
09-19-2010, 11:54 AM

And irony sets itself around expectations of certain events. Miami not winning the title after all the chodeblowing would be ironic. Manu being a good defender when he already is is not.
No they live in reality.

Leonard Curse
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
No they live in reality.

you obviously dont. you go around acting like miami has this years title sealed they have no bigs!!!! who are you getting? erika ? thats who your hoping for? and you making fun of our frontcourt defenders? even if they win 80 games ill still bet against that loser lebron come playoff time everygame!!!!

Anonymous Cowherd
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
This team will have a lot of small-ball lineups. I would not be opposed to bringing Tim and Manu off the bench together. Robinson will also be huge for any title run. We need a pure scorer.

Not concerned about age? He might be a little rusty...

Ace
09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
you obviously dont. you go around acting like miami has this years title sealed they have no bigs!!!! who are you getting? erika ? thats who your hoping for? and you making fun of our frontcourt defenders? even if they win 80 games ill still bet against that loser lebron come playoff time everygame!!!!

:lol

ElNono
09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't feel miserable or in despair. I actually can't wait for the season to start.

admiralsnackbar
09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't feel miserable or in despair. I actually can't wait for the season to start.

+1

There are reasons to believe we won't win it all, but in the end this is my team, and that ultimately trumps reason. There were as many reasons to believe the 2003 squad wouldn't unseat the Lakers, or the 2005 one the Pistons.

The games get won on the court, and there is too much talent and intelligence on this squad to justify automatically writing them off. I'm not so blinded by homerism to think the Spurs won't need a fair amount of luck to get through, but that only doubles my desire to watch the games.

That said, this is not the most balanced Spurs line-up ever. It is not even as balanced as our championship squads in the past. So be it.

TJastal
09-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Poppycock's philosophy the past 4-5 years has been to rely on experienced vets/journeyman players rather than go through the growing pains of developing youth. The culmination of all this today is a squad which is defenitely a mix of old vets and greenhorns, and "balanced" is not a word I'd use to describe it.